Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2017, 07:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendra Luehr (View Post)
LOL That makes me think of a post I just saw on Tumblr, because they were asking what Jackie/Hyde fic is the one where they have babies and S8 never happened, and I was like LOL, do you mean EVERY FIC EVER??

I think, though, a lot of T7S fic writers were influenced by Season 8 Redo. It served -- and still serves -- as an effective balm against the horrors of S8 soon after the series ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendra Luehr (View Post)
I know that's obviously not true, cuz I'm sure SOME people like S8, but I rarely see any non-fix-its.
The only fics I've read/seen summaries of that treat S8 as if it were a "good" thing are J/E fics. S8 itself vilified Hyde and wrote Donna as an awful friend to Jackie (not the the showrunners or the writers realized that's what they'd done). Most of S8 sets the stage for a potential J/E relationship (not really , but it gets Hyde and Donna out of the way) -- as long as one ignores the fact Jackie believes Fez is her perfect man by the end of it (and J/E fics, same as J/H fics, easily dismiss that relationship).
Old 02-09-2017, 10:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

Season 8 Redo is still a great fic. I love reading it.
I am an original”
Old 02-10-2017, 07:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by msstock87 (View Post)
Season 8 Redo is still a great fic. I love reading it.
Yes. It deserves to be the classic among classic T7S fics.

Is it super-deep? No. But it copies the feel of T7S, pre-S8, perfectly, and its storylines are more satisfying than most of what we get during S6-S7, too.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

That's how I feel too. It's not super deep, but not every fanfic has to be super deep.
I am an original”
Old 02-13-2017, 07:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by msstock87 (View Post)
That's how I feel too. It's not super deep, but not every fanfic has to be super deep.
Season 8 Redo is funny and heart-warming and has enough conflict between the characters to keep it interesting.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:17 AM
Fan Forum Star

I totally agree, it's worth a re read.
I am an original”
Old 03-11-2017, 03:03 AM
New Fan

I recently finished watching that 70s show and absolutely love it!. I remember hearing about it for a while but never watched it until I found it on Netflix and can honestly say that T7S is one of my favorite TV shows. I loved every bit of it starting from the pilot episode till right before season 8.
I am so upset at how they made season 8! Since none of my friends watched T7S I am so glad I found this thread (I'm sorry I'm going to go on a sort of a rant hahaha)
Oh my..season 8..is probably one of the biggest disappointments I have seen
I'm actually so glad this thread exists! I have never posted anything before but I really needed to let some steam out about this topic! (I don't expect anyone to reply I just really need to rage about the horrid of season 8)

I think first off...I just don't understand why they made a season 8 if they knew 2 of the main actors were not going to be there for season 8! It was so hard to watch so much change from seeing the whole cast to seeing Eric and Kelso gone. I think it would have been a lot easier adjusting to the change if they had at least kept some things the same like Jackie and Hyde, Donna and Eric, and maybe even not having to go through the horrid of Randy trying so hard to replace Eric... I guess this brings me to my next rage of season 8...

I'm sure you have all heard this numerously but I absolutely loved Jackie and Hyde together! I thought they were so adorable starting from when Hyde took her to prom! I never thought they would actually get together in the later seasons. I remember being so glad they finally got together in season 5. Hahaha I always thought her and Kelso were super funny and cute but when Jackie was with Hyde it was different, it was more realistic, more mature. He balanced her out. H grounded her when she was obsessing over materialistic things and she let him become softer and got him to be more sensitive. When they were together it just looked so natural and they were so perfect for each other. Sadly the writers for season 8 totally threw that away. How could they think it was okay for Hyde to be fine with being married to a random stripper when he refused to marry the girl he truly loved..it just does't make sense I honestly thought they would be end game and was prepared for them to get back together in season 8 only to be disappointed by seeing them break up for good.

Honestly IF they were going to put Jackie and Fez together I may have thought they would be cute in like the earlier seasons where Fez actually liked her in like S 1-3, not in the last season in the last few episodes where Fez hasn't liked her in years. Everything seemed super rushed awkward! I just find it sad how the writers put them together awkwardly in the last few episodes after she's been in a serious relationship with both Kelso and Hyde. It was so hard to watch Jackie chase after Fez after she has rejected him so many times! (maybe it's just me who found it super awkward and unnatural!). I'd rather her be single in the finale realizing she can be okay being single without having to rely on a man

I also realized that in season 8 everyone was extremely OOC. Like to the point it was hard to watch even an episode..I rewatched a few episodes from season 4 and saw how much more sensitive Hyde was and how much more funny and awkward Fez was rather than being a "ladies man" which he never was and how different Donna was and how she use to value her friendship with Jackie It was just so hard to see how different and OOC everyone was in season 8. It was like seeing the characters be someone else they weren't! It wasn't just the kids if felt like even Red and Kitty were't really Red and Kitty! It felt like they continuously used the same punch line for all the characters without trying to develop character. I also didn't get why they hung out in the Forman's basement without Eric actually being there...Okay maybe they hung out there because of Hyde but I thought it was kind of weird Hyde was there without Eric's presence..maybe its just me!

Anyways!! Honestly I'm so upset about season 8..I heard that the original ending was for season 7 to have been the finale and for Jackie and Hyde to be together and no one to have gone away. I miss having officer Kelso, and funny awkward Fez...Donna and Eric having random problems that actually kind of were relatable and Red and Kitty being just so darn cute. Maybe I wouldn't have minded Randy if they weren't trying for him trying to replace Eric so much, or the absence of Kelso and Eric if they had at least kept Jackie and Hyde together but whatever happened in season 8 actually had happened .

In my head..season 8 never happened...Jackie and Hyde DID end up together, Fez finally found his soul mate, Eric never left for Africa, Kitty and Red were hilariously cute together, Kelso remained as a Point Place officer and as for Randy and Samantha..well they never happened hahahah I guess one of the reason's I can bear the existence of Season 8 is because of how much Danny Masterson hates Season 8!

Anyways it feels good to let out my rage of Season 8 and hope there's someone else who agrees understands my disappointments!
Old 03-11-2017, 09:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Welcome, mc.nb.121!

Your comments about S8 echo mine and those of many other fans'. Unfortunately, the showrunners hired for S8 didn't understand or respect the show. They liked the earliest episodes of S1 and formed their POV about the show from them. They ignored seven years of character and plot development. They clearly hated Jackie's character, and their mangled perspective about the show and its characters is all over S8, rendering it unwatchable.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:06 PM
Extreme Fan

Oh man. Don't get me started on the OOC Red and Kitty. Those constant menopause/addiction "jokes" made me insane and honestly were the nails in my coffin for my love of the show at the time. Misogyny is the surest way to IF's rage.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

Don't get me started on season 8. It ruined my favorite couple, made everybody out of character. It makes me sick this season.
I am an original”
Old 03-13-2017, 11:11 PM
New Fan

It's good to know someone else out there agrees with me hahaha! Does anyone know how much power/influence the show runners had? I mean couldn't someone at least like David Trainer have some sort of say in the show!? It must have been hard for him to direct the show knowing how bad the story line was becoming and how OOC everyone was.
And I didn't understand why Jackie had to go through so many horrible events. Her character definitely was not one of the writers favourite
Yeah I also definitely hated how much they over used Kitty's alcoholism and menopause situation. Made me really miss the old adorable caring Kitty
Old 03-14-2017, 06:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Unfortunately, the showrunners hired for S8 had all the power in terms of story arcs and character development. They gave their dictates to the writers, who followed them. What's astonishing to me is how the same writer who wrote some fantastic in-character eps pre-S8 (including J/H ones) could write the drivel we got in S8.

In an interview (TV Guide, I believe), the newly-hired showrunners said about S8 before it aired (and this is a paraphrase), "We don't like Jackie and Hyde's relationship. We never understood it. They belong as antagonists, as they are in S1, and that's what we're bringing them back to."

But, um ... did they pay any attention to their S1 antagonism? "Prom Night," anyone?

If the S8 showrunners didn't like how the characters had developed over seven years, they shouldn't have taken the position. Their job was to respect and develop further the characters they inherited, not to ignore everything the characters are to serve their own twisted view.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:03 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMountainHop (View Post)
Unfortunately, the showrunners hired for S8 had all the power in terms of story arcs and character development. They gave their dictates to the writers, who followed them. What's astonishing to me is how the same writer who wrote some fantastic in-character eps pre-S8 (including J/H ones) could write the drivel we got in S8.

In an interview (TV Guide, I believe), the newly-hired showrunners said about S8 before it aired (and this is a paraphrase), "We don't like Jackie and Hyde's relationship. We never understood it. They belong as antagonists, as they are in S1, and that's what we're bringing them back to."

But, um ... did they pay any attention to their S1 antagonism? "Prom Night," anyone?

If the S8 showrunners didn't like how the characters had developed over seven years, they shouldn't have taken the position. Their job was to respect and develop further the characters they inherited, not to ignore everything the characters are to serve their own twisted view.
Their own twisted view that was lukewarm and boring and forced and nothing like what the show should be. Goddamn Randy.

And omg at that quote. Like, I agree that they worked better as antagonists but you can't just throw two seasons of (dubious but valid) development out the window! That's not storytelling, that's laziness. And possibly illicit drugs, because Hollywood. Do we know why the previous showrunners left in the first place?
Old 03-14-2017, 02:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Fantasy (View Post)
And omg at that quote. Like, I agree that they worked better as antagonists but you can't just throw two seasons of (dubious but valid) development out the window! That's not storytelling, that's laziness. And possibly illicit drugs, because Hollywood. Do we know why the previous showrunners left in the first place?
*coughs* Three seasons. *coughs*

And that's only their romantic relationship (seasons 5-7). We've also got all their development from "Prom Night" (1x19) through "Jackie Bags Hyde" (3x08), where their antagonism shifts completely. And then you've got their unscripted but nevertheless-existing friendship in season 4. So, really, Jackie and Hyde's relationship developed over the course of seven seasons.

So, I repeat, the S8 showrunners never should've accepted the job.

Last edited by MistyMountainHop; 03-14-2017 at 04:57 PM
Old 03-14-2017, 11:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

The new showrunners had no clue what they are doing. It ruined the whole show for the cast and the audience.
I am an original”