Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2018, 09:39 AM
New Fan

The characters all seem to wear a lot of new clothes throughout the show, either their parents buy them new wardrobes for school or they go shopping themselves. I'd tend to think Hyde though would wear fewer outfits & have stains or holes in things, because early on he didn't have money & even after moving in with the Formans & working at photo hut & grooves, he doesn't seem like he'd go clothes shopping. So, I'm guessing Kitty took him shopping & we just didn't see it. Aside from that time she got him that satin jacket. What do you all think?
Old 02-01-2018, 09:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.PP (View Post)
The characters all seem to wear a lot of new clothes throughout the show, either their parents buy them new wardrobes for school or they go shopping themselves. I'd tend to think Hyde though would wear fewer outfits & have stains or holes in things, because early on he didn't have money & even after moving in with the Formans & working at photo hut & grooves, he doesn't seem like he'd go clothes shopping. So, I'm guessing Kitty took him shopping & we just didn't see it. Aside from that time she got him that satin jacket. What do you all think?
Hyde wears a pair of jeans (or two) that's ripped -- and not for the sake of fashion. He wears one of Eric's hoodies in an episode (although behind-the-scenes, that was probably due to convenience, not anything story-wise). I'd say he bought himself clothes whenever he could afford it/needed to. But he wore a lot of faded T-shirts, maybe some that he got from relatives -- cousins, uncles, etc. They were too big for him when he was a kid, but he eventually grew into them.

He has a hideous mustard-yellow suit, paired with an equally hideous tie, neither of which fit him properly (too big). My headcanon is that Bud didn't bring the suit with him when he abandoned Hyde and Edna, and Hyde took the suit for himself.

When he dates Jackie, she definitely buys him some dress clothes.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:08 PM
New Fan

That makes sense that they'd be pass me downs from relatives & maybe even Leo. Especially the one's of 60's bands. Do you think since new licenced merchandise isn't always cheap & but he wore lots of band t-shirts of new 70's bands & events/logos that maybe he'd tailgate outside concerts & buy bootlegs "Tad Nugent" style? I don't mean misspelled, just unauthorized.

I hadn't noticed those small details about the off sizing & such, those things do a lot for storytelling. Even though he acts like he's too cool/tough to care about his looks the way Fez & Kelso do, he accessorizes with a necklace & his signature shades. He's more particular about his clothing style than Eric who seems like Kitty just buys him school clothes at woolworths or such.

Remember that time Kelso tried sporting a leather jacket & everyone called him Fonze? Then Hyde wore it & everyone complimented him. Was that just Hyde & them messing with him, because I don't recall seeing him wear it again?
Old 02-04-2018, 07:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Do you think since new licenced merchandise isn't always cheap & but he wore lots of band t-shirts of new 70's bands & events/logos that maybe he'd tailgate outside concerts & buy bootlegs "Tad Nugent" style? I don't mean misspelled, just unauthorized.
Yes. That's one of my headcanons.

Quote:
Even though he acts like he's too cool/tough to care about his looks the way Fez & Kelso do, he accessorizes with a necklace & his signature shades.
Although the necklace eventually goes away (after season 2), I like to think Hyde's accessories, as it were (he would so not like anything he wears to be called that ) all have a personal significance. Because he really isn't the type to care about that stuff otherwise. Plus, unlike other characters, he doesn't change rings or necklaces. He always wears the same ones. As for the shades, he wears those out of necessity. Lots of circle-time.

Quote:
He's more particular about his clothing style than Eric who seems like Kitty just buys him school clothes at woolworths or such.
Eric probably does wear the shirts Kitty buys him. And some he's bought himself without much thought.

Quote:
Remember that time Kelso tried sporting a leather jacket & everyone called him Fonze? Then Hyde wore it & everyone complimented him. Was that just Hyde & them messing with him, because I don't recall seeing him wear it again?
Hyde doesn't wear the jacket again. That last bit in the episode was for a joke, but maybe Hyde sold the jacket for some money. Despite people's positive response to him wearing it, he'd likely want to burn himself for wearing it as his jacket.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

I always liked that Hyde's accessories had personal significance to them. It made me pay more attention to them.
I am an original”
Old 02-05-2018, 10:09 PM
New Fan

"Yeah, you, accessorizing, that's right I said it!" Or something like that, seems like what Eric should've said to Hyde for making fun of the "man ring" Donna gave him. I forgot about Hyde's rings that he makes sure to put on everyday.

That was really nice of Hyde to have sported a yet unbeknownst Bob look for Kitty with that red stuntman jacket she bought him. Writing like that where it's simultaneously funny & touching were my favorite parts.

I thought the thing with Hyde's biological father was fine, even though it kinda retconned what they'd done with Robert Hayes' character. But I wasn't a fan of Hyde's sister & her bad burns & kinda blandness. I can't quite pinpoint what it was that missed the mark to me or why the situations & set-ups between her & Hyde fell flat.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by msstock87 (View Post)
I always liked that Hyde's accessories had personal significance to them. It made me pay more attention to them.
Considering what his character is like, those things had to have personal significance for him to wear them. I'm sure the writers/wardrobe department thought they just added to the sense (or look) of the character. But for those of us who enjoy thinking more deeply about the characters, that Hyde wears "accessories" () shouldn't be dismissed.

Quote:
"Yeah, you, accessorizing, that's right I said it!" Or something like that, seems like what Eric should've said to Hyde for making fun of the "man ring" Donna gave him. I forgot about Hyde's rings that he makes sure to put on everyday.
Hyde would just claim his eyeball ring is badass whereas the man-ring Donna gives Eric is corny as hell.

Quote:
That was really nice of Hyde to have sported a yet unbeknownst Bob look for Kitty with that red stuntman jacket she bought him. Writing like that where it's simultaneously funny & touching were my favorite parts.
Hyde loves Kitty and didn't want to hurt her feelings, especially since she paid money to buy him that jacket. But he hated it so much.

Quote:
But I wasn't a fan of Hyde's sister & her bad burns & kinda blandness. I can't quite pinpoint what it was that missed the mark to me or why the situations & set-ups between her & Hyde fell flat.
I think Angie had a lot of potential as a character, as did her relationship with Hyde. But the deeper writing in season 7 is often not deep enough, or it's OOC (though at least the writers tried to have some real character development in that season, unlike season 6 -- Kelso, being the exception).

The writers also used Angie for the Kelso-sleeps-with-another-friend's-sister joke, which isn't actually funny. Far funnier would've been Fez having a relationship with Kelso's sister, and Eric burning Kelso about that would've been karma. Eric burning Hyde about Kelso/Angie made no sense for the reason Eric gives for it.

Hyde doesn't burn Eric about Laurie and Kelso at all on-screen. In fact, he tries to convince Kelso to end that affair. So for Eric to claim Hyde burned him all the time about Kelso/Laurie is a bit of OOC-ness for the sake of an unfunny, super-repetitive joke.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

I agree with you Lisa about Eric burning Hyde about Kelso dating Angie. It was maybe somewhat kind of funny once, but by the second time he did it I wanted to tell Eric to shut up.
I am an original”
Old 02-06-2018, 09:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I agree with you Lisa about Eric burning Hyde about Kelso dating Angie. It was maybe somewhat kind of funny once, but by the second time he did it I wanted to tell Eric to shut up.
Yes. Someone needed to set him straight. I were to to make comics of that episode and arc (which is highly unlikely), Eric would get a talking-to by pretty much every character.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

I kind of want to see that in the comics now!
I am an original”
Old 02-08-2018, 07:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I kind of want to see that in the comics now!
It would basically be a meta/essay spoken by the characters to Eric about the subject discussed above.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well that makes sense!
I am an original”
Old 02-10-2018, 09:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Well that makes sense!
The characters have experienced quite a few of those in the comics.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yes, they have. I like seeing it in the comics.

Do you think Hyde and Angie would continue to try to have a good relationship as life continued on or not?
I am an original”

Last edited by msstock87; 02-10-2018 at 01:42 PM
Old 02-11-2018, 08:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Do you think Hyde and Angie would continue to try to have a good relationship as life continued on or not?
I really hope so. I'd hope once Angie worked through her insecurity about her place in WB's life, she'd bond with Hyde -- as he clearly wanted to when they first met.