Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2016, 05:54 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMountainHop (View Post)
True, but it could've been a double-episode special. Like a TV movie.
It would've been a great one, I'm sure.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentGrasshopper (View Post)
It would've been a great one, I'm sure.
Oh, the hijinks! And maybe this double-episode would take place during Jackie's infatuation with Hyde. *makes everything Zennie*
Old 08-28-2016, 06:10 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Oh, the hijinks! And maybe this double-episode would take place during Jackie's infatuation with Hyde. *makes everything Zennie*
Of course...
Old 08-28-2016, 09:13 AM
New Fan

OK but my favorite is that Tommy Chong leaves when he did because he was in prison for a lot of pot related things and the actor was surprised they didn't write it into the show. Tommy Chong is great.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Like shows in the '70s, '80s, and '90s, T7S should've had an episode that took place almost entirely on location rather than the studio. We partly get this in "Going to California". But maybe the perfect scenario would've been Hyde joining Leo on his planned trip to Amsterdam.
That would have been fun to see!
I am an original”
Old 02-05-2018, 09:31 PM
New Fan

I'm glad they didn't replace Tommy with another actor as Leo while he was gone for a while like they did with Laurie Foreman. I really like the way they chose to reintroduce him wandering in the dark when Eric is stranded, so fitting of that character. It's nice that Tommy had a chance to do his thing since Cheech usually takes center on guest spots. It may have been interesting to see Leo cross paths with Christopher Lloyd's character Jim from "Taxi" as a cameo & say what a space case he is.

Was the Roy character was supposed to be a sort of bookmark Hyde-centric figure? He disappeared after Leo's absence.

I read the ideas about showing Leo's wife & son, sounds interesting. I kinda wondered about that & whether it would be explored or was just another randomly unexpected aspect/accomplishment/experience of his.

Also, what you wrote about his dynamic with Hyde, I agree gave the character some weight. It was handled nicely without being on the nose & out of it's own depth.

I wonder what his reaction would be to Jackie's story about the Chinese guy she thought was Leo? When Fez was all upset & playing foosball, didn't Leo say something about how he is Chinese?
Old 02-06-2018, 07:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.PP (View Post)
I'm glad they didn't replace Tommy with another actor as Leo while he was gone for a while like they did with Laurie Foreman.
Unfortunately, recasting Laurie was a necessity because she was supposed to have a major storyline with Fez in season 6, which the season-5 finale initiated. If they'd been able to case a better actress for the role -- and had the writers stuck to (what I hope was) their original plan for the Laurie/Fez arc, it could've worked.

But recasting Leo couldn't work. Leo is so clearly based on Tommy Chong's characters in the Cheech and Chong movies.

Quote:
I really like the way they chose to reintroduce him wandering in the dark when Eric is stranded, so fitting of that character
Yeah, that's one of the better parts of season 7.

Quote:
It may have been interesting to see Leo cross paths with Christopher Lloyd's character Jim from "Taxi" as a cameo & say what a space case he is.
That would be bizarre.

Quote:
Was the Roy character was supposed to be a sort of bookmark Hyde-centric figure? He disappeared after Leo's absence.
Leo's absence left an empty space in the show, so the writers created Roy to fill it. Roy and the Holiday Hotel gave Hyde, Kelso, and Eric another place to interact regularly other than the basement, too. But Roy's character is more disturbing than funny.

Quote:
I read the ideas about showing Leo's wife & son, sounds interesting. I kinda wondered about that & whether it would be explored or was just another randomly unexpected aspect/accomplishment/experience of his.
The way the show explains Leo's absence is meh, imo, since it retcons what created the deeper connection between him and Hyde (i.e. Leo being abandoned by his kids, and Hyde being abandoned by his parents). But the writers were awful at explaining characters' absences (due to cast members leaving the show for one reason or another). So Leo's explanation is par for the course.

Quote:
Also, what you wrote about his dynamic with Hyde, I agree gave the character some weight. It was handled nicely without being on the nose & out of it's own depth.
And it's clear how much they care about each other. For example, Leo tries to convince Red not to kick Hyde out in "Reefer Madness". Hyde searches all over town when Leo disappears and believes Leo wouldn't abandon him like his parents did. He's so relieved when Leo's cousin Eli gives him Leo's note, and he's happy when he realizes the note is written specifically for him.

Quote:
I wonder what his reaction would be to Jackie's story about the Chinese guy she thought was Leo? When Fez was all upset & playing foosball, didn't Leo say something about how he is Chinese?
Fez calls Leo white, and Leo corrects him by saying he thinks he's Chinese (and Tommy Chong is half-Chinese, so no reason Leo wouldn't be half-Chinese, too).
Old 02-06-2018, 02:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Leo and Hyde's relationship is one of my favorites on the show. They really did care about each other.
I am an original”
Old 02-06-2018, 09:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by msstock87 (View Post)
Leo and Hyde's relationship is one of my favorites on the show. They really did care about each other.
And Hyde having at least three adults who truly care about him helps to counteract the message and wounding his parents' abandonment creates.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yes, and Hyde needed that badly!
I am an original”
Old 02-08-2018, 07:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yes, and Hyde needed that badly!
Definitely. He had a hard enough time trusting people even with Red, Kitty, and Leo in his corner.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yes, and the more trustworthy adults he could have in his life, the better.
I am an original”
Old 02-09-2018, 09:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yes, and the more trustworthy adults he could have in his life, the better.
He needed better examples of adulthood from the family he grew up with. And I do think that if/when Hyde worked at a job he really enjoyed and cared about, he'd put the effort in instead of going back to his philosophy of, "The more you sleep, the more you earn" -- which he might've picked up from Leo.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think it's good that he had Red, Kitty and even WB to help influence him too. They were pretty good examples of a good work ethic.
I am an original”
Old 02-11-2018, 08:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I think it's good that he had Red, Kitty and even WB to help influence him too. They were pretty good examples of a good work ethic.
And Hyde really wanted to make a good impression on WB. Otherwise, there's no way he would've agreed to that corporate job (that he worked at for a few weeks? A month?).

I wonder how Leo would've responded to Hyde's job of underlining numbers.