Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2021, 07:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
I started season 5. I watched episodes 501-503.

Quote:
-I forgot that jackie and hyde just got together like that and we didnt really see the start of it. WTF. Kinda bummed they skipped over all of that because that is sort of important for us to see but oh well. The kissing scenes between them were really cute though and I love their banter and even though they claim its not serious its obvious they really like each other.
This is a complaint I often make in my essays / metas. The show didn't bridge the gap between Jackie and Hyde's S1-S3 relationship and their romantic relationship in S5. The underlying emotional connection they'd built over the first three seasons is what ultimately leads to their physical one -- but the writing on T7S (especially from S5 on) is just not deep enough to make the subtext into text.

Quote:
-the running beach montage was funny but Eric and Donna getting back together so fast was a NO for me. I dont hate them at all but I just feel like they werent really apart that long. I know you said the number but to me thats nothing.
They were apart for a year (but Point Place Time™ can turn a year into a month ). I totally agree, though, that Donna and Eric's reconciliation isn't handled properly (but I do love their beach-run kiss scene). Instead of dealing with what broke them up, Eric says, "Forget all that stuff." That's the writers saying, "Forget all that stuff," because they didn't want to do the work necessary for the reconciliation truly to make sense. They wanted to move onto Eric and Donna's S5 story arc. But they needed one episode, at the very least, to discuss what led to the end of "The Promise Ring" (3x25).

Quote:
I do like that jackie and hyde decided to keep what they were doing
Because it's never been just a fling for them (despite how they tried to convince themselves otherwise).

Quote:
kelso finding out in ep 3 was a bit quick to me too. I do think its kind of crappy of Hyde not to tell him about them. I know Kelso isnt the greatest guy but that was his ex g/f. Still team Hyde, but I mean... I can see why Kelso would be upset about this.
I understand why Kelso's upset, but he lost his right to complain through all his behavior and attitudes. He has no say in whom his ex-girlfriend dates or falls in love with, even if it's one of his friends. He's a total hypocrite. Technically, he started cheating on Jackie in California before she broke up with him in that letter. He slept with different women all summer (though he spent his last week or two pursuing Annette). Kelso tells Hyde at the DMV that he doesn't want Jackie to date anyone. Anyone. While Kelso himself reserves the right to date whoever he wants and told Jackie earlier that he's not interested in a romantic relationship with her himself.

Kelso acts like he owns Jackie, that he's entitled to her -- even if he doesn't want her himself. That Jackie should be alone romantically if that's what he wishes. He treats her like property, not like a person. So I have very little sympathy for him here.

Quote:
-I dont remeber Kitty being pregnant either, what the hell

Quote:
Red was a jerk with how he reacted but Kitty also sorta sprung it on them? Wouldnt it have been better to discuss this with him in private first before telling Eric??? I do like that Eric told him to suck it up and Red eventually came around at the end tho.
I agree that, ideally, Kitty would've told Red in private. But Kitty is so excited and excitable in that moment. She couldn't help herself.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:57 AM
Fan Forum Star

God Im so bad a watching episodes. Dont worry, its still on my list, I just skip around with a ton of different shows and it takes forever to get to cuz im so busy, and then trying to keep up with my youtube subs takes away from my shows... sigh.

I watched 504/505 today... really dont remember this season ha.

Kinda feel bad for kelso but not really. . I mean, its sucky to see your ex dating a friend, of all people. But like you said before he kinda lost his right to an opinion with how he treated her. And I kinda love how the SL was handled, with like, no one caring about Kelso's opinon

I did find the Kelso stuff funny, like him trying to open the door, the montage with Hyde, and then the attempted debate scenes .

The grandparents were sort of hilarious, betty white omg. Poor Kitty. This is why I didnt remember her being pregnant lol.

the next one was kinda boring, didnt care for fez’ storyline much at all.

the donna/eric ring stuff was also kinda dumb.

LOVED the jackie/hyde g/f convo tho SO MUCHHHHH. This is just my kinda ship, where one is like trying to not care and be unemotional but totally failing. Its so obvious how much Hyde likes her. but again, I'm still bitter how they skipped over the start of them. Those two just work tho. And Hyde even makes Jackie better. I loved her before, but her personality can be a lot and he seems to ground her a bit.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
God Im so bad a watching episodes. Dont worry, its still on my list, I just skip around with a ton of different shows and it takes forever to get to cuz im so busy, and then trying to keep up with my youtube subs takes away from my shows... sigh.
No worries! I look forward to your episode commentary whenever you write it.

Quote:
I watched 504/505 today... really dont remember this season ha.
Which means you have a lot of "new" material to enjoy.

Quote:
Kinda feel bad for kelso but not really. . I mean, its sucky to see your ex dating a friend, of all people. But like you said before he kinda lost his right to an opinion with how he treated her. And I kinda love how the SL was handled, with like, no one caring about Kelso's opinon
Donna and Eric cared, and that was really obnoxious of them. But at least Jackie and, to a large extent, Hyde were both, "Screw it. Let's do what we want."

Quote:
I did find the Kelso stuff funny, like him trying to open the door, the montage with Hyde, and then the attempted debate scenes .
Kelso's (aka AK's) comedic timing -- dialogue-wise and physically is very entertaining. It's a huge reason people have trouble seeing through to how awful a person Kelso is (for most of the series, not all of it).

The grandparents were sort of hilarious, betty white omg. Poor Kitty. This is why I didnt remember her being pregnant lol.

Quote:
the next one was kinda boring, didnt care for fez’ storyline much at all.
That makes Fez sad. ()

Quote:
the donna/eric ring stuff was also kinda dumb.
Yeah, that episode time could've been better spent on, like, dealing with what broke them up in season 3.

Quote:
LOVED the jackie/hyde g/f convo tho SO MUCHHHHH. This is just my kinda ship, where one is like trying to not care and be unemotional but totally failing. Its so obvious how much Hyde likes her. but again, (...) Those two just work tho. And Hyde even makes Jackie better. I loved her before, but her personality can be a lot and he seems to ground her a bit.
--- All of this.

Quote:
I'm still bitter how they skipped over the start of them.
They didn't skip over it so much as boil it down to them being bored all summer and choosing to make out to alleviate that boredom. What the show failed to do was connect J/H's S1-S3 relationship to how and why they might've started falling for each other in S5 (or that Hyde might've harbored feelings for Jackie since "Jackie Bags Hyde" [3x08]). The disconnect and discontinuity is glaring.

Last edited by MistyMountainHop; 07-31-2021 at 06:49 AM Reason: Fixed type. :)
Old 07-30-2021, 03:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

How is it always a month before I watch new episodes good gracious lol.

In my defense I went on a trip and started a ton of new shows haha.

506:

Kitty going through menopause was pretty hilarious, even if it was unrealistic. But it was still funny.

I loved the Jackie/Hyde stuff and how he didn't want to kiss someone else and then her whole speech back to him about "good to know" he didnt kiss anyone was so funny. Their dynamic is just too good.

507:

This whole episode I was like ERIC YOU ARE AN IDIOT for wanting to get marred but then the scene at the end was actually really sweet. Donna's reaction to it wasnt what i expected, I thought she was going to freak out honestly. But i was cute. I like them when they are being mature together.

Also loved the small jackie/hyde moments of course. When they kiss and stuff, idk, it just feels so natural and Jackie genuinely feels so much more mature with Hyde then she ever was with Kelso.

Red getting Kitty the puppy was cute.

Also i do read your responses every time too!
Old 07-31-2021, 06:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
How is it always a month before I watch new episodes good gracious lol.

In my defense I went on a trip and started a ton of new shows haha.
Real life: it's what's for dinner. <-- Okay, that makes no sense. But, hey, I'm glad you do eventually watch some T7S eps and share your thoughts on them.

Quote:
506:

Kitty going through menopause was pretty hilarious, even if it was unrealistic. But it was still funny.
Debra Jo Rupp kills the material (in the best of ways). I bet she had a lot of fun with it -- and having an arc dedicated to her character.

Quote:
I loved the Jackie/Hyde stuff and how he didn't want to kiss someone else and then her whole speech back to him about "good to know" he didnt kiss anyone was so funny. Their dynamic is just too good.
Jackie uses Hyde's own attitude against him perfectly.

Quote:
507:

This whole episode I was like ERIC YOU ARE AN IDIOT for wanting to get marred
So you were like Eric's friends.

Quote:
but then the scene at the end was actually really sweet. Donna's reaction to it wasnt what i expected, I thought she was going to freak out honestly.
Which might've been cool -- as an opening to finish their seasons 1-4 story arcs properly then earn that engagement.

Quote:
But i was cute. I like them when they are being mature together.
I do, too. I just wish the writers would've let them deal with their issues instead of shoving them aside to get into the engagement storyline ASAP.

Quote:
Also loved the small jackie/hyde moments of course. When they kiss and stuff, idk, it just feels so natural and Jackie genuinely feels so much more mature with Hyde then she ever was with Kelso.
Generally (when written consistently), Jackie and Hyde challenge and encourage each other to grow and be better, happier versions of themselves. Jackie and Kelso tended to bring out the worst in each other.

Quote:
Red getting Kitty the puppy was cute.
It's very sweet.

Quote:
Also i do read your responses every time too!
Old 08-11-2021, 12:29 AM
Fan Forum Star

I dont usually have anything else to add because i agree with most of what you say lol.

Quote:
I do, too. I just wish the writers would've let them deal with their issues instead of shoving them aside to get into the engagement storyline ASAP.
Yes, I agree with this. It was almost like they didnt know what to do with them so they rushed to the next thing without fleshing out the current issues.

508:
I liked the Thanksgiving theme for this episode. Other than that I honestly don't have anything to say about it. Even watching it I didn't have much of a reaction lol. Like, it was fine, there were a few funny moments, but none of the storylines really stood out to me at all.

509:
This episode was frustrating. Kelso still obsessing over Jackie was annoying, bro GET OVER IT. It was cute when Jackie immediately went to hug Hyde. It was too bad he couldn't really say anything to help her feel better. But I do like that he felt bad about it.

Hyde pretending he was shot in the eye was funny. I don't blame him for being frustrated with Kelso.
Old 08-11-2021, 07:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I dont usually have anything else to add because i agree with most of what you say lol.
It's totally fine.

Quote:
Yes, I agree with this. It was almost like they didnt know what to do with them so they rushed to the next thing without fleshing out the current issues.
The writers probably thought it would be boring. If they wrote it well, though, it wouldn't have been.

Quote:
508:
I liked the Thanksgiving theme for this episode. Other than that I honestly don't have anything to say about it. Even watching it I didn't have much of a reaction lol. Like, it was fine, there were a few funny moments, but none of the storylines really stood out to me at all.
A lot of it was about Kitty and her parents / mom. The casting of Betty White is awesome. One would think Kitty's mom would be more like a smarter Rose from The Golden Girls, considering how compassionate Kitty is. But nope! Kitty got that side of her from her dad.

Quote:
509:
This episode was frustrating. Kelso still obsessing over Jackie was annoying, bro GET OVER IT. It was cute when Jackie immediately went to hug Hyde. It was too bad he couldn't really say anything to help her feel better. But I do like that he felt bad about it.

Hyde pretending he was shot in the eye was funny. I don't blame him for being frustrated with Kelso.
Kelso is obnoxious as hell in season 5 (and that's being kind).

Hyde has little trouble comforting people verbally. He's done it for Jackie, Donna, Eric, etc. in past episodes. But this episode retcons that out of him (changes the character to serve the plot). That being said, I do like that Hyde doesn't give up trying to comfort Jackie, despite his failures. He cares so much about her that he brings it up with Kitty, listens to Eric and Donna's perspective, and ultimately sacrifices something that brings him joy (his beard) in an attempt to cheer up Jackie -- without knowing if it'll work or not. It's a good episode for his character despite the erasing of an aspect of a well-established aspect of his character. So strange, but that's T7S for ya.
Old 08-11-2021, 07:50 AM
Obsessed Fan

Betty White is so incredible as a performer here. I got hooked on "the Golden girls" recently and to think that Rose and Kitty's mom are played by the same person...Wow
Old 08-12-2021, 05:32 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishik5 (View Post)
Betty White is so incredible as a performer here. I got hooked on "the Golden girls" recently and to think that Rose and Kitty's mom are played by the same person...Wow
I think the casting was perfect. And Kitty has s Swedish background while Rose has a Norwegian one. Both Scandinavian, which is interesting (character-wise).
Old 08-12-2021, 01:04 PM
Obsessed Fan

Agree
Old 08-23-2021, 12:51 AM
Fan Forum Star

I do love seeing Betty, she is great.

510:
Okay episode. Eric not doing well because Donna distracts him is kinda cute. It was funny when he was having Red kick her out of the house so he could study. Couldn't he just have explained? lol. Kelso's whole "im smart" kick was ridiculous.

511:
Honestly dont remember much about this one except for the Hyde/Jackie drama. I like how much Jackie likes Hyde, she seems to like him way more than she ever liked Kelso lol but sometimes I wish they could just be happy and not have dumb drama.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:26 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Betty is a treasure!
Old 08-23-2021, 07:29 AM
Obsessed Fan

She's so incredible!
Old 09-06-2021, 05:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
510:
Okay episode. Eric not doing well because Donna distracts him is kinda cute. It was funny when he was having Red kick her out of the house so he could study. Couldn't he just have explained? lol. Kelso's whole "im smart" kick was ridiculous.
Eric having Red kick Donna out of the house is hilarious.

511:
Honestly dont remember much about this one except for the Hyde/Jackie drama. I like how much Jackie likes Hyde, she seems to like him way more than she ever liked Kelso lol but sometimes I wish they could just be happy and not have dumb drama.[/QUOTE] Jackie and Hyde's relationship isn't steeped in fantasy, unlike Jackie's relationship with Kelso. They actually confront and deal with their issues instead of Jackie being in denial and Kelso lying to and betraying her all the time.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Of course! I'd say yes to that any day
If season 7 had been the series finale, as originally intended, where Jackie/Hyde were endgame, would you miss all the amazing S8 fix-it fics (and S7 fix-it fics) that were written in response?