Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2006, 06:35 AM
Master Fan

The Great Jackie Debate: Kelso, Hyde or Fez? (Or even Eric?)

This topic has gotten extremely heated in the show's long history, and instead of letting frustration boil over into appreciation threads, here's the one thread you can come to, to talk about your opinions on Jackie/Kelso vs Jackie/Hyde vs Jackie/Fez. Remember to be polite to other posters, and to be respectful in your opinions. Fans of all the couples are welcome here, so just remember that when you're posting. If you think your post might cause any offence, re-read it and make a change.

Annnnnd go!
Old 05-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Dedicated Fan

Oh my god... once it will start this thread is going to be very heated.
Its a great idea because people (and I mean me) have been rambling on about this on so many threads.
I think maybe people should start by defending their personnal couple and then the debate can start. I just ramble on about how much I though J/H are a perfect match on the zen thread, so Im kind of drained out...
It's funny how Jackie's character does to the fans the exact same thing she does in the show. Drive people crasy. hahah!
So to be on topic, here is a quick resume of my thought on each couple. I'll try to be impartial, but it's hard...
J/K: they had a real sweet thing going on. But I mostly saw them as a comic relief couple. The kind I enjoy watching but I never got that attached to them. Kelso is Jackie highschool sweetheart and will always have a special place in her heart.
J/H: Now, I think they perfectly balanced each other. They weren't as funny to watch, but I personnaly fell in love with the show because of them. In season 5, the show took a more mature turn and focused more on character developement. E/D worked out their issues. Fez lost his virginity. Kelso found a career that suit him. Hyde became soft and Jackie matured.
J/F: they are totaly cute together. I said many time, they remind me of Rachel and Joey. If they hook up, it will turn back into a J/K type of relation. Only Fez will never cheat on her. They will have great interractions, but the "making out" parts of it will seem odd to me... they are too brother and sister like to be a serious couple.

So like I said I dont remember where, I think the solution is have Jackie single on the last episode so that every shipper can believe she ends with who ever they want her to.
Anyway, I really want to know what others think of the couples. Writh!
Old 05-01-2006, 10:08 AM
Passionate Fan

Well hell, I'll go first:
(Cue someone else replying before me now, because that's what always happens whenever I type 'I'll go first!")

From the options, Jackie and Hyde. Ideally, in a perfect sitcom world, this season would have never happened, as it really destroyed all of the characters for me. In a fair and justified sitcom world, if I had to accept season 8, Jackie would either end up with Eric (I still stand by them having more in common with what they want out of life than any other two characters on the show) or she would finally be ok with being by herself and would grow from it. The latter seems the most appealing and logical, as it incorporates the all-important character development and doesn't lead to Jackie once again being passed around the group like a joint in the circle. Plus there's that little matter of Eric and Donna, which will never go away.

I liked Jackie and Kelso. They'll always be each other's first loves, and I don't think anyone could deny that they truly cared about each other. And, when it came down to it, they understood each other. But they brought out the worst in each other, too. Kelso never stood up to Jackie. Jackie needed someone who wouldn't let her dominate them and who wouldn't put up with her bitchy antics that always worked in the past. Kelso needed someone who would support him in whatever he wanted to do and not cut him down so much. That's why I don't think Jackie and Kelso could ever work out in the long run. Maybe down the road, after they both grew up some, they could work. But I think they'd have a lot of growing up to do before they could have a healthy and realistic relationship.

As for Jackie and Fez? If it was season 1, or season 2, or even the beginning of season 3...yeah, sure. That'd be great. Adorable even. But now? After she's spent 4 seasons with Kelso, 3 seasons with Hyde, and Fez hasn't shown even a hint of genuine love for Jackie for several years? That's a cop-out. That's a cheap, shock-factor storyline. They're out of ideas and too lazy to try and be anymore creative than that. Fez isn't even the same Fez anymore: he's creepy, he's annoying, he's Megan-law alertable preverted. He's a good friend to Jackie, as he's a good friend to everyone. But I don't think he's good boyfriend material for anyone right now, and I don't understand how Jackie could think otherwise. Not to mention that this plot of Jackie being in love with Fez completely destroys one of the sweetest friendship aspects of the show. Why can't anyone just be friends and stay friends without it turning romantic? That's a sure sign of desperate writing to me. They're backed into a corner and I don't think they have any idea how to tie things up. I think that if this show had ended last season, when it should have, there would be a very different ending.

If they were to take this concept of Jackie being in love with Fez and actually try to run with it and seriously pair them off by the finale, it would happen in two weeks. There's two new back-to-back episodes this week, and then the hour-long finale coming up. That's even unfair to the Jackie and Fez fans. Who wants a relationship that was slapped together and developed so quickly IN THE LAST FOUR EPISODES OF THE SERIES? They couldn't even do this right. Too little, too late, me thinks.

I don't think it's fair for the J/K or J/H shippers to have to see Jackie be paired off with another member of the gang. I don't think it's fair for the J/F shippers that a possible relationship with Fez is only explored this late in the game. I don't think it's fair to Jackie fans that she is now getting the reputation as the village bicycle, when she's only had 2 boyfriends (if this thing with Fez comes to fruitation, he will only be her third).

I also don't think it's fair that any fans of this show had to sit by this year and watch all the characters that they've come to love be completely destroyed so Fox could make a few more bucks. I don't think it's fair that they're trying to tarnish Eric's memory every chance they get, that they're making Hyde come across as rather heartless, that they're making Donna come across as an obnoxious 12-year old school girl, that they're making Jackie digress all the way back to season 4-ville... I don't think it's fair that they've slowly torn down these characters the last few years, and instead of trying to repair it in the final year when there's more room to focus on the remaining cast, they add more members to the cast to destroy while simultaneously amplifying everything we haven't liked about the previous seasons. And I especially I don't think it's fair that this will be how the show is remembered by a majority of the viewers.

If this were season 7, my answer would be Jackie and Hyde. If this were season 8 and there was even one scene dedicated to Jackie and Hyde sitting down and talking about their problems and both apologizing for their behaviors, my answer would be Jackie and Hyde. But how it is now? I choose E.) None of the above.

If there's anything this season has taught me, it's that it's time for every single one of them to get out of the damn basement and start a whole new life. Thanks a lot, Fox.

ETA: Hahaha, I was right. "I'll go first," will be my famous last words.

Oh, I steal things all the time. It's just something I do. I stopped caring a long time ago.

Last edited by Felicity Nerd; 05-01-2006 at 10:15 AM
Old 05-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Master Fan

Okay Where should I start?

Jackie/Kelso: I think these two were really funny when they were going out and they had so much chemistry. I just didn't like the fact that Kelso cheated on her with Laurie, but when you watch some of the older episodes, you can tell that Kelso doesn't want to cheat on Jackie, but his crazy male hormones make him go for Laurie when she suduces him. So, I think they were good when they went out the first time, but after he cheated on her with Laurie, I think she should have just forgotten about him.

Jackie/Hyde: I really think that these two were a better match then her and Kelso. I think there relationship got so advanced that maybe Hyde just got tired of Jackie. Hyde wanted to get married to Jackie, but not right at the time and I think the stripper was added to add a rift to J/H's relationship so they couldn't get back together.

Jackie/Fez: These two are so cute together. The show has had some interactions between Jackie and Fez that was just great like Roller Disco,Garage Sale and That Disco Episode. I think if they would have taken time to discuss and pay attention to the J/F relationship more, I think it could of worked. At this point I like them more as friends.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:16 PM
New Fan

For me, Jackie/Kelso was just it. They were funny, which, since it's a sitcom was important to me, and just a good match for each other. They just always seemed to adore each other, even if they were frustrated with each other. Maybe not the most functional lol, but again, because of the comedy, I was willing to overlook that.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Banned

I must applaud you Annie. Very well said.

My personal opinions...
Jackie/Kelso: I used to love them. I think at the beginning of the show they were perfect for each other. Jackie was on the immature side, as was Kelso. They were funny and cute. They both could relate to each other in ways other characters on the show could not - for instance both of them considered themselves the most attractive members of the gang. They had that cute couple thing down pact. They were good for each other until the 4th season. Kelso had cheated on Jackie numerous times, and she gave him more and more chances. But by the end of season four, the saying "once a cheater, always a cheater" was very true in the case of Kelso. Kelso couldn't commit, and Jackie needed someone more mature at that point. Enter Hyde.

Jackie/Hyde: Although their relationship was born out of their own boredom, there was no boredom present at all while they were together. They were passionate and wonderful together. They were opposites, yet did so much for each other. Most of it's been said...Jackie matured, Hyde realized he could actually love and be loved...it was all so important for their characters. I will always love this pairing, because there is so much positivity that came out of it. They are like summer and winter - two totally different personality types that need each other in order to thrive. Jackie was the first girl that Hyde really, completely loved. It's really hard for me to accept that the writers could completely dismantle the relationship without even a goodbye. This seasons' relationships are not caused by a lack of communication on the part of the characters, they are instead caused by a lack of creativity and iniative on the part of the writers.

Jackie/Fez: Like Annie said, they were completely adorable in the 2nd and 3rd season. The type of relationship they had back then was like hers with Kelso, although void of the cheating. Fez adored her and although she didn't want to admit it because he was foreign, she admired him and enjoyed his company. But after everything that Jackie has been through (a turbulent and powerful relationship with Kelso and a passionate relationship with Hyde, both which changed her), she and Fez don't really work in my opinion. It doesn't seem believable to me. She has been friends with Fez for years and they are adorable as friends. They have plenty in common and will always be there for each other. But to me they seem like brother and sister. I have a male friend like Fez - I've been friends with him for years, and he used to admire me from afar. He wanted a relationship but I didn't. We decided just to be friends, and were for lots of years. I see a lot of him and myself mirrored in Jackie and Fez, and I think the reason that the pairing doesn't work for me is because I don't understand it. I don't understand how Jackie could go through everything she went through, and then settle for someone who has been like her brother for years. It shows me that the writers have perceived Jackie's character as weak, and someone who needs a man to survive. This makes me sad - Jackie was never like that before.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Addicted Fan

Well I'll give this a stab...lol

Jackie and Kelso- I loved Jackie and Kelso is season one to no end. I even thought they were cute in season two...after that I was like whatever. Kelso cheated, Jackie forgave and so on. But it got old after a while...

Jackie and Hyde- I LOVED Jackie and Hyde early on. I think I was one of the first J/H shippers, which all started in "Jackie Bags Hyde", of course.
IMO Jackie and Hyde were the best in early season five, before he changed and before she changed...my favorite episode for them had to be "I Can't Quit You Baby"..hands down.
But I didn't care for them when it got all serious and when the cheating and crying started. I liked the fun, sweet Jackie and Hyde a lot more.

Jackie and Fez- I'm kind of whatever about them. I do think they would be cute together and think Jackie deserves someone who would treat her like a princess..

If I had to pick ONE of them, I guess it would be Hyde.

But I'm not a Zennie. I'm a Goon. So who cares what I think...
Old 05-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Master Fan

A-ha! Dana admits to kinda-sorta-not-really being a Zennie!! Yeah, the cheating thing was the start of the end for me too. It should never have happened, and seemed like the lamest of storylines to create any kind of cliffhanger, despite how OOC it all was for Hyde and the Jackie/Hyde relationship, or to create some kind of confusion over who Jackie would pick.

And duuude, I totally care what you think! You're like, my guru! Hee. Mah Goon Guru!
Old 05-01-2006, 07:29 PM
Elite Fan

Damn it Annie! You hit the nail on the head on so many levels!!!!! We should just close down this thread because there is no point for the rest us to post our opinions.
Annie Jeff / Leslie Ben / Maria Michael / Pam Jim / Joey Pacey / Tyra Tim
Old 05-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Elite Fan

No one's going to tackle why Jackie and Eric should hook up?

I could debate why Eric and Donna are the best couple now that would be a debate that I would like to see..head on head with J/H vs. E/D vs. Whoever else is on the show Yeah I'm just tired.

Good points in Annie's. And I do like J/H but like Dana, I'm more of a Goon, full Goon so..

But I will say I did love J/K in Season 1, they were just too cute and added that funny aspect. J/H were good in Season 5, when they were fun..then it got heavy. I think they needed to have a heavy couple (e/d) and a fun couple like J/K were and early J/H, which is why I see a lot of people don't like J/H, cause they prefer the funniness of J/K, since this is a comedy, no matter how much I pretend it isn't.

I have no comment on J/F.
Ria
Old 05-01-2006, 07:49 PM
Loyal Fan

I'll give this a try, its probably not going to be a paragraph like most of your's but yea...

Jackie/Kelso- The relationship was cute, and no matter what happened I actually think that they loved eachother. Like some people are saying though, it was just the same storyline. Anyways, I dont think that Kelso was looking for a mature relationship like Jackie was and thats what was wrong in the relationship. They were very serious in the first season, i admit

Jackie/Hyde- There relationship was so serious, even though none of them really admited it. Hyde actually sort of changed for her. All four seasons when they weren't together they should have been, becuase they are so wrong, and thats what makes them so right. I guess two wrongs do make a right

Jackie/Fez- I have to admit, they were cute in season one, like there friendship and stuff, but I never got used to them. They had a good friendship, chances are they would ruin it if they went out. I like Jackie and Fez, as friends but them going out, doesnt really float the boat
Old 05-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Elite Fan

I guess it's finally my turn to have my say...

Jackie/Kelso: They were never my favorite couple but they did have their moments and they were great juxtaposed with E/D which were the serious couple of the show. But they did the same old song and dance throughtout their 4 seasons together. Kelso cheats, Jackie breaks up with him, they get back together, Kelso is an idiot, Jackie is a bitch... yawn. They got boring and predictable. Yeah they were cute and yeah they were each others first everything but they just weren't meant to be in my opinion.

Jackie/Hyde: The classic opposites attract storyline. He hates her, she hates him, they have nothing in common and yet they fall in love with each other. Jackie is the first and last woman that Hyde has ever loved. They changed for each other: Hyde started to open up and grow up and Jackie started to be less shallow and also started to grow up. Hyde wouldn't take her bull**** and she wouldn't take him being so closed off. Yes there was drama with J/H but that's what made them seem so real, like they were an actual couple unlike the joke that was J/K and the next couple to come.

Jackie/Fez: I'll be the first one to admitt that back in the day I thought that they'd make a great couple. While Kelso was treating Jackie so horribely you had Fez in the background who in his own way loved Jackie. She even got jealous a time or two when Fez was paying attention to other girls and not her. But that wasn't because she was harboring loving feelings towards him it was because she didn't have that constent self esteem booster anymore. Fez clearly stopped liking Jackie I believe after Ice Shack and Jackie stopped fishing for compliments and keeping Fez as the friend/boyfriend guy when she was single. They started a great friendship which could have clearly been the shinning star in the sea of terror that is season 8. Throwing them together out of no where is an insult to everyone who has watched the show since day one. I'm sorry but J/F make no sense.
Annie Jeff / Leslie Ben / Maria Michael / Pam Jim / Joey Pacey / Tyra Tim
Old 05-02-2006, 06:05 AM
Dedicated Fan

What's a goon?

it's kind of sad that it's mostly zennies that post here...
Old 05-02-2006, 06:10 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by piochi
What's a goon?
It's the name for the Eric/Donna ship

The Goon Squad
Old 05-02-2006, 06:45 AM
Part-Time Fan

There's really no reason to say much of anything because you guys have said it all so well already, but... I currently have nothing to do and this will kill a few minutes.

Jackie/Kelso: Separately, I really love both of the characters. There were even times when I thought they were really cute together. But, let's face it, it didn't work. That was one thing that pissed me off with the writers way back in the beginning; I love Kelso, but then you go and make him this cheating bastard and I feel guilty for loving him. They were both so young when they got together, though... They did the teen romance thing and then moved on. Well, for the most part. The whole Misfire proposal was ludicrous and I try to forget it ever happened.

Jackie/Hyde: Definitely the most adult relationship of the bunch. They helped each other grow and complemented each other perfectly. Well, almost. I mean, their friction on some issues was just passion; it kept things interesting. All in all, they should have ended up together. And that's not just the gargantuan zennie in me throwing a fit (like she tends to do), it just makes sense. If things had continued developing normally after the fiasco in Chicago and there never was a Sam, they would have.

Jackie/Fez: This seems to be something everyone (or almost everyone) agrees on. If this had happened after seasons one or two, it would have been easy to buy. But this late in the game, to say it's ridiculous is a massive understatement. Even putting the whole they're-making-Jackie-look-like-a-desperate-whore thing aside, it still disgusts me. I mean, they've ruined Fez for me. He used to be... quirky, but still totally lovable. Now, they've reduced him solely to his perversions and magnified everything. To me, they've made him a completely one dimensional character that I can't really stand to watch anymore. Anyhow, there hasn't been any hint whatsoever of romantic feelings in so long that it just seems stupid.

Jackie/Eric: (Just for the hell of it. Sorry, Ria! ) T7S was my first breath of CC in a long time and I will always support J/H and D/E. That said, though, I think I could really dig a J/E pairing if it had happened. They're both such drama queens and damn cute to boot; it seems like one of those things that I would have seen and said, "Huh. I didn't think about it, but now that you mention it..." Only in a AU world, though. Once there ever was a D/E or a J/H, it couldn't have worked.

Mmk. That's my shot. Fun.

Last edited by mumblebee; 05-02-2006 at 06:51 AM