Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Donna never said "I love you" back to Casey -- at least, not that we saw. We can assume she said it back, but I don't think she did.

But you make a great point here:

Quote:
Doesn't it seem a bit out of character though for Donna to be gettin 'serious' with Casey so soon after she breaks up with Eric because she wants to be free and not have a high school relationship limit her college and career decisions.....
Why would she date anyone with anything serious in mind? She had that with Eric, and she was in love with him. So it makes little sense that she would be too broken up about Casey ending the relationship. Not only that, how naive was she to think that he was being faithful to her whenever he was out of town? I hinted at that in the comics.

I think, though, that she got so into Casey because her mom left. That really devastated her, and she felt very alone. Normally, she would've had Eric to rely on for support, but outside of the sex in "The Relapse," she didn't feel like she could go to him.

Instead of being with Casey, however, she should have gone to Hyde (not sexually). She did a little in "The Relapse," but -- still. I think real!Donna would have relied on Hyde heavily. She always went to him when her parents were doing messed-up things. Both of Hyde's parents abandoned him, so he'd totally be able to relate. And he loved her (as a friend). He would've been there for her as much as she needed.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Part-Time Fan

I don't think she actually said ' I love you' to Casey either, but the only time we see him say it is in front of Eric ( the scene at Casey's house - when we kinda get the feeling he says it mainly to prove a point to Eric and not even to score with Donna)...and when he does say it, she reacts like she is about to say it back, or at least say something encouraging back and then she stops herself because Eric is there.
Also, like you said, she seems so betrayed when he takes it back in the finale, why would she be so serious about him or want him to be that serious about her .. I think you are spot on here, her emotional dependence on Casey ( of all ppl) at the time made sense only due to her mom leaving

I dont think leaning on Hyde (platonically) was a serious option for her as Eric had already made it clear in S2 that he was not very capable of dealing with that ...and he showed again in S4 that he was even uncomfortable with her leaning on his mom for support ....
Thank god they did not show Eric getting serious about someone else as well...right after being broken hearted that Donna refused to take his promise ring.

Another thing that was Out of character for Donna - the actor Laura mentioned in an interview that she and Mila were quite giggly or whatever when Luke Wilson was on set ( him being so hunky etc i suppose) ...and I think she let a little of that spill into Donna ?? ....I get that Donna is a schoolgirl and Casey/Luke looks dreamy I suppose, but some of the giggliness did not make sense, like she never let Michael Kelso's ( supposed) good looks hinder her judgement of him ?

On a better note, loved Donna in 'Kitty's birthday' also an epi that i re visited today ' those bastards'

Last edited by topher's_Diva; 06-06-2012 at 12:16 PM
Old 06-06-2012, 12:38 PM
New Fan

I think all that happened with Casey actually made a lot of sense.

Was Casey and Donna's relationship even "serious"? To Donna, I think it was. To Casey, not so much. Why would it make sense for Donna to seek out another serious relationship after ending things with Eric? Because it's all she's known. She had only been in one relationship, and that was a serious one (as in, it was long-lasting, they loved each other, etc). She didn't have any other experience to drawn upon. That's what relationships were, in her experience, so I think it makes a lot of sense that she pushed for commitment and such with Casey.

Now, obviously, that's in direct contrast to what Donna said she wanted, but I think this was a case of her outward desires and her subconscious desires being at odds. There's a great plot circle that illustrates this between the season 3 finale and the season 4 finale.

Remember Hyde's words in season 3, to Eric, when he's trying to give Donna the promise ring: "I get what you're trying to do. Lock her up, seal the deal. All I'm saying is that maybe Donna's not that kind of girl." Hyde's words make the viewers question if such a serious relationship is what Donna's really looking for. Donna questions this, too, and it leads to their break-up. Eric is the one who wants commitment, Donna is the one who resists. Fast-forward to the season 4 finale, when Casey dumps Donna. "You gotta admit, this has been a real hastle. It's been fun, and you're a great girl, but let's just call it a day." When Bob insists that Casey and Donna break-up, Donna is the one who fights it while Casey clearly couldn't care less. Furthermore, Donna is upset because Casey had told her he loved her and led her to believe he cared about her [the way Eric had] and it devasted when he is able to leave so easily. The tables have turned. Now it's Donna who wants commitment.

We are left to re-evaluate Hyde's season-3 words. Based on this scene, it looks like Donna is "that" kind of girl, after all. Maybe she doesn't realize it yet, but it's been made apparent to the viewers. I think, at least in part, that was the purpose of the Casey-Donna relationship. It showed us (and eventually, Donna) that despite breaking up with Eric because their relationship was getting too serious, her view of a relationship is more in line with Eric's (commitment) than Casey's (just having fun). One assumes this realization had something to do with Donna's change-of-heart in season 5, although it was never explicitly shown on-screen.

On a different note, no, I don't think Donna's giggly-ness was from Laura's own crush, lol. That was part of Casey Kelso's slimeball charm (and it kind of caused Donna to go stupid).
Old 06-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

Part of me wonders, if Donna was expecting to get so serious with somebody after Eric. I think she was kind of thrown for a loop when she started really having feelings for somebody else. It was a very confusing time for her in her life, in my opinion.
I am an original”
Old 06-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRACiE x3 (View Post)
I think all that happened with Casey actually made a lot of sense.

Was Casey and Donna's relationship even "serious"? To Donna, I think it was. To Casey, not so much. Why would it make sense for Donna to seek out another serious relationship after ending things with Eric? Because it's all she's known. She had only been in one relationship, and that was a serious one (as in, it was long-lasting, they loved each other, etc). She didn't have any other experience to drawn upon. That's what relationships were, in her experience, so I think it makes a lot of sense that she pushed for commitment and such with Casey.

Now, obviously, that's in direct contrast to what Donna said she wanted, but I think this was a case of her outward desires and her subconscious desires being at odds. There's a great plot circle that illustrates this between the season 3 finale and the season 4 finale.

Remember Hyde's words in season 3, to Eric, when he's trying to give Donna the promise ring: "I get what you're trying to do. Lock her up, seal the deal. All I'm saying is that maybe Donna's not that kind of girl." Hyde's words make the viewers question if such a serious relationship is what Donna's really looking for. Donna questions this, too, and it leads to their break-up. Eric is the one who wants commitment, Donna is the one who resists. Fast-forward to the season 4 finale, when Casey dumps Donna. "You gotta admit, this has been a real hastle. It's been fun, and you're a great girl, but let's just call it a day." When Bob insists that Casey and Donna break-up, Donna is the one who fights it while Casey clearly couldn't care less. Furthermore, Donna is upset because Casey had told her he loved her and led her to believe he cared about her [the way Eric had] and it devasted when he is able to leave so easily. The tables have turned. Now it's Donna who wants commitment.

We are left to re-evaluate Hyde's season-3 words. Based on this scene, it looks like Donna is "that" kind of girl, after all. Maybe she doesn't realize it yet, but it's been made apparent to the viewers. I think, at least in part, that was the purpose of the Casey-Donna relationship. It showed us (and eventually, Donna) that despite breaking up with Eric because their relationship was getting too serious, her view of a relationship is more in line with Eric's (commitment) than Casey's (just having fun). One assumes this realization had something to do with Donna's change-of-heart in season 5, although it was never explicitly shown on-screen.

On a different note, no, I don't think Donna's giggly-ness was from Laura's own crush, lol. That was part of Casey Kelso's slimeball charm (and it kind of caused Donna to go stupid).
Hey, Graciex....that was a very interesting POV ....So, Casey's entry into Donna's life had a sublime purpose then ...she needed to find out who she actually was and what it was that she really did want. I buy this ....but I also believe that again the whole thing ties in with her feelings about her mom and her parents relationship ...she was obsessed with leaving POint place , going to exciting places like Paris etc during the years when her mom was very unhappy, and her parents were constantly fighting. ( It is very common for unhappy married women to tell their daughters ' Don't give up the world like I did , all for one man') She saw in her mom someone who had given up so much for marriage and was taken for granted at the end of the day. Fast forward a few years, once she had settled back into life at point place with her dad as a single parent, she felt much more at peace with life at home and in the small town.

I always felt that for a long time for Donna -important events in her life mirrored the state of her parent's marriage. For eg - the times when she stalled or put off 'doing it for the first time' with her boyfriend cos her parents were doing crazy stuff like dating other ppl ....and then she finally felt good about 'love' and took that big step with Eric at ...her parents re-wedding ( oops what was the ceremony called again

LoL , Casey's slimeball charm ....I don't think he was even trying actually, all he did was talk about his trans am......So GracieX, you've been around here for 5 years but only posted like 6 times in all that time ....and then this brilliant write up from you yesterday - ending it with a clarification that it wasn't Laura's giggliness around Luke that caused Donna's for Casey. Hmm, you're not Ms. Prepon by any chance are you, posting under the pen name Gracie X .....If yes, then pls pls , sign up and get ur friends to sign as well for a well written one hour long reunion show pls....that wud make millions of fans happy....wud love to see that Donna and Eric finally went to Madison , have writing and teaching careers, and have a couple of red head kids - Luke and Leia

Quote:
Originally Posted by msstock87 (View Post)
Part of me wonders, if Donna was expecting to get so serious with somebody after Eric. I think she was kind of thrown for a loop when she started really having feelings for somebody else. It was a very confusing time for her in her life, in my opinion.
Yup, we all seem to be in agreement that it was a very confusing time in her life, I also think Casey was a rebound guy ...remember, she wanted Eric to take the ring back but she did not want to actually break up. And, it was Eric who seemed to prefer a cleaner break ( not wanting her hanging out in the basement, or bonding with his mom) and wanted to start dating other ppl.

Last edited by topher's_Diva; 06-07-2012 at 01:00 AM
Old 06-07-2012, 12:53 AM
New Fan

I don't think Donna ever had "feelings" for Casey. She thought he was attractive and I think she found him to be surprisingly endearing, but "feelings" insinuates a deeper connection, and I don't think that was ever shown to be there. In fact, I think that was explictly shown not to be there.

But I agree that she was not originally looking for a serious relationship post-Eric. She found herself in one because that was what she was used to and (subconsciously) wanted.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:30 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I don't think Donna ever had "feelings" for Casey. She thought he was attractive and I think she found him to be surprisingly endearing, but "feelings" insinuates a deeper connection, and I don't think that was ever shown to be there. In fact, I think that was explictly shown not to be there.
Gotta disagree here -- and you're kind of disagreeing with yourself, too. See this:

Quote:
Was Casey and Donna's relationship even "serious"? To Donna, I think it was.
I had to point that out.

Donna might not have been shown to have deep feelings for Casey as she did for Eric, but she was definitely attached. When Casey was off at the Trans Am convention (or whatever ), she wasn't a happy camper. When he stood her up on one of their dates, she wasn't happy. At the Formans' barbecue, she was very clearly connected to him. She kept her arm around his back the whole time, laughed at whatever he said. Looked at him with googly-eyes.

I don't think her feelings for Casey were really for Casey, though. She projected a lot onto him. Her mind/imagination made up two-thirds of that relationship. When she spoke to Casey about her mom on the first date, Casey spouted a bunch of dumb blah-blah, and she interpreted it in such a way to make herself feel better. She made herself feel better, but she attributed it to Casey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msstock87 (View Post)
I agree with that. Losing her mom to California had a profound effect on her. I don't think she consciously realized it until Casey dumped her -- just like her mom did in a way. She realized that having people who love her and who stick around, no matter how tough things get -- like Eric did -- is a tremendous gift to have.

She couldn't count on Casey. He showed her that more than once, and in her desperation, she dismissed this fact. But somewhere, she remained semi-conscious of it. When Casey finally dumped her, I think it was like a bucket of ice water being poured on her head. She realized that Eric was a) someone she could fully count on b) that Eric himself had changed...

Eric had continued to support Donna even while they were broken up (e.g., in "The Relapse," while she dated Casey, etc.) Eric had learned something huge himself -- that he loved Donna unconditionally. Meaning, if she had a career or went off to Paris -- even without him -- he'd be okay with it 'cause all he wants is for her to be happy.

So their breakup in S4 was essential. Eric realized he loved Donna even if things didn't go "his way". She was completely it for him, and he would've rather had her be happy without him than miserable with him. That's huge. And Donna realized, as GRACIE x3 said, that she is that kind of girl. More specifically, that having Eric -- who makes her laugh, respects her, supports her, grows and changes because of her -- in her life for the long-term is a very good thing.

Last edited by MistyMountainHop; 03-17-2015 at 06:08 PM
Old 06-07-2012, 08:06 AM
Part-Time Fan

Hey, I gotta agree....that was a great post from you yesterday Gracie X but you kinda contradicted yourself with today's post

But so glad to see the E/D thread revived again these past couple of days, pls keep posting Gracie aka Ms.Prepon.

So, I was watching S4 Hyde's Birthday today ...so many cute E/D scenes...

(After Donna shows her bra strap to that little kid to get the street sign)

Eric : That was hot. Man, why she is so hot today ?
Kelso smirking: Cos you can't have her. Cos You lost her. Cos you're stupid.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Supreme Fan

OP, you can use my video upload for the finale's last scene if you want 8x22 - Topher Grace's return to That '70s Show! - YouTube

☆Krys ☆
Old 06-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Master Fan

I that this thread is having conversation!! I will try to join in.
icon
Old 06-07-2012, 11:30 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMountainHop (View Post)

She realized that having people who love her and who stick around, no matter how tough things get -- like Eric did -- is a tremendous gift to have.

So their breakup in S4 was essential. Eric realized he loved Donna even if things didn't go "his way". She was completely it for him, and he would've rather had her be happy without him than miserable with him. That's huge. And Donna realized, as GRACIE x3 said, that she is that kind of girl. More specifically, that having Eric -- who makes her laugh, respects her, supports her, grows and changes because of her -- in her life for the long-term is a very good thing.

That's beautiful ....

after all this, we had a breakup over a letter from africa with NO EXPLANATION ....and a 2 minute inconclusive reunion ....E/D somehow even made that magic though ....
Old 06-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

TD, season 8 just doesn't count. And I believe Eric and Donna are just as much soulmates as Jackie and Hyde. There are emotional stakes for them in their relationship, and that makes them interesting (to me, at least).
Old 06-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMountainHop (View Post)
TD, season 8 just doesn't count. And I believe Eric and Donna are just as much soulmates as Jackie and Hyde. There are emotional stakes for them in their relationship, and that makes them interesting (to me, at least).
Speaking of J and H, why the hell did they break them up??? Stupidest idea to put J with F together! The writers mustve been smokin' brownies!

☆Krys ☆
Old 06-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Master Fan

I didn't mind so much that they broke up in season 8 (I mean come, you know they would end up together), but just the way it was done. By a letter?! A letter. Really.
icon
Old 06-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

The letter was just dumb, and a really lame idea. I could not see Eric doing that at all.
I am an original”