Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2017, 10:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

I have a hard time figuring out what Eric would do for some reason.
I am an original”
Old 02-08-2017, 09:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Colleen, probably because the writers didn't flesh out Eric's character enough. It's weird, right? Because he's got a definite personality, likes and dislikes, insecurities, and a desire to live a life with Donna -- and yet we don't know what ambitions he has beyond living that life with Donna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendra Luehr (View Post)
LOL Have they (as in, the writers and/or actors) ever discussed what the characters would be doing in the future? I think that'd be interesting to hear, though I agree that Eric definitely wouldn't be in medicine.
The actors discuss their characters' futures in an interview conducted with them during the early seasons of the show (this is pre-J/H). It would take me too long to find it right now (digging through the Internet Wayback Machine and such).
Old 02-08-2017, 11:42 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMountainHop (View Post)
Colleen, probably because the writers didn't flesh out Eric's character enough. It's weird, right? Because he's got a definite personality, likes and dislikes, insecurities, and a desire to live a life with Donna -- and yet we don't know what ambitions he has beyond living that life with Donna.

The actors discuss their characters' futures in an interview conducted with them during the early seasons of the show (this is pre-J/H). It would take me too long to find it right now (digging through the Internet Wayback Machine and such).
That's really true, I never thought of that before. Maybe because, like you said, he's got a personality/definite traits. But it seems like his life revolves around Donna (which I liked, because they took the typical relationship stereotype and flipped it to have the man dependent on the woman for their happiness).

I guess whatever they said didn't leave a lasting impression. In my fic (which may or may not ever be completed lol), I have Eric as a traveling salesman. It just seemed to fit, for whatever reason.

Stalk me:
My YouTube My Tumblr My AO3 My FanFiction.Net My Author Instagram
Old 02-09-2017, 07:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
That's really true, I never thought of that before. Maybe because, like you said, he's got a personality/definite traits. But it seems like his life revolves around Donna (which I liked, because they took the typical relationship stereotype and flipped it to have the man dependent on the woman for their happiness).
His life definitely revolves around Donna on the show (and having sex with Donna, let's be real ). But he's in love with her, wants her to be his wife ... despite the OOC-ness of him not showing up for the wedding and the ridiculousness of them setting a date so soon; they could have -- and probably would have -- set it for after they graduate college.

Eric was a hard worker when he worked at Price-Mart. He didn't slack off, so I would've loved to see him have some kind of career goals.

Quote:
In my fic (which may or may not ever be completed lol), I have Eric as a traveling salesman. It just seemed to fit, for whatever reason.
Willy Loman? () But, no. I can hear Eric trying to convince a customer to buy a vacuum. He could be a good salesman.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:16 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMountainHop (View Post)
His life definitely revolves around Donna on the show (and having sex with Donna, let's be real ). But he's in love with her, wants her to be his wife ... despite the OOC-ness of him not showing up for the wedding and the ridiculousness of them setting a date so soon; they could have -- and probably would have -- set it for after they graduate college.

Eric was a hard worker when he worked at Price-Mart. He didn't slack off, so I would've loved to see him have some kind of career goals.

Willy Loman? () But, no. I can hear Eric trying to convince a customer to buy a vacuum. He could be a good salesman.
LOL Yes, that seemed to be his biggest concern for a long time, regardless of his affection. Though I'll admit some good punchlines came from it. And that's true, cuz for the longest time, all he wanted was to be her husband, and then all of a sudden it was too much??

LOL I haven't read that play since...10th grade? Yikes. But yes, Willy Loman! xD Salesmen sometimes rotate on products, so I thought it'd be funny if Eric was selling beauty products for one particular month, and ofc Jackie would rag on him for selling "generic" beauty supplies. Oh, the horror! But yeah, I could somehow see that with a vacuum! He'd definitely be better at selling things than Red when he first started.

Stalk me:
My YouTube My Tumblr My AO3 My FanFiction.Net My Author Instagram
Old 03-08-2017, 08:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
LOL Yes, that seemed to be his biggest concern for a long time, regardless of his affection. Though I'll admit some good punchlines came from it. And that's true, cuz for the longest time, all he wanted was to be her husband, and then all of a sudden it was too much??
Season 6 did not do well by Eric's character. I said this in a different thread, but without an external obstacle (i.e. Red and Kitty opposing the engagement), the writers regressed Eric to manufacture conflict between him and Donna.

Quote:
LOL I haven't read that play since...10th grade?
Pretty much same.

Quote:
Salesmen sometimes rotate on products, so I thought it'd be funny if Eric was selling beauty products for one particular month, and ofc Jackie would rag on him for selling "generic" beauty supplies. Oh, the horror!
Could be funny!

Quote:
But yeah, I could somehow see that with a vacuum! He'd definitely be better at selling things than Red when he first started.
Agreed. Eric can be a charmer when he wants to be.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:04 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
LOL I haven't read that play since...10th grade? Yikes. B
Me three!

Salesman is interesting career idea for Eric, definitely has potential.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

I just wish we got more with Eric in the later seasons. I feel like they just didn't know what to do with him.

Eric as a salesman, hmm I never seriously thought of that.
I am an original”
Old 03-11-2017, 09:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The writers were terrible with cast departures. During S7, the writers did their best to keep Eric's stories separate from Fez, Kelso, and Hyde's -- to get the audience used to Eric not being part of that group.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

It just felt like a different show when they did that.
I am an original”
Old 03-12-2017, 07:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

After S5, the writers -- and the story direction from the showrunners -- declined significantly.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yes, sadly you are right. It just wasn't as good.
I am an original”
Old 03-15-2017, 06:32 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Speaking of the Forman family, I wonder how Bea and Hyde would've gotten along (if they would have). Hyde was a definite part of the Formans' family by then, and yet the writers didn't quite write him that way...
Old 03-15-2017, 08:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

Hmm that's interesting. They might bump heads, at least at first.
I am an original”
Old 03-16-2017, 06:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Imagine if Bea really took to Hyde? How would Eric (and Kitty) deal with that?