Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013, 03:35 PM
Master Fan

I know! We're the only regulars that like them. So sad.
icon
Old 04-21-2013, 08:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

*approaches microphone tentatively...*

FANFIC ANNOUNCEMENT:

I've written a new story in a fanfic challenge / 'ship-exchange with the talented Jackie/Eric author Marla's Lost.

Out of the Flames

'Ships: Jackie/Eric, Jackie/Hyde

Summary: A life-consuming fire connects Jackie and Eric in unforeseen ways, but it also creates a blazing wall between them. Eight years later, Jackie braves the flames and ends up on Eric's doorstep, but will her arrival heal their burns or incinerate them both to ashes?

Rating: T, appropriate for thirteen-years-old and up.

Last edited by MistyMountainHop; 03-21-2015 at 01:45 PM
Old 04-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Elite Fan

I had to do a double take when I saw this in my inbox
Annie Jeff / Leslie Ben / Maria Michael / Pam Jim / Joey Pacey / Tyra Tim
Old 04-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiehydelover (View Post)
I had to do a double take when I saw this in my inbox
Yeeeeaaaah. I have my reasons! I may have sold my soul to Laurie.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:29 AM
Elite Fan

As long as it's LRK Laurie, I approve
Old 04-23-2013, 06:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh, no other Laurie exists for me.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:58 PM
Elite Fan

There seems to be a little J/E talk littering the threads so I thought I'd bump this. This thread isn't just for a romantic partnership, it's also for their friendship.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the bump, Chris!

The reason I don't generally discuss my Eric/Jackie thoughts in this thread is that they're usually about how and why E/J don't work romantically. I don't want Eric/Jackie shippers to feel disrespected by that or discouraged from posting here.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:12 AM
Elite Fan

Well, you can not talk about the romance (or lack there of) here. You can talk about their friendly and not so friendly moments
Old 03-04-2014, 08:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Eh. Eric and Jackie usually come up -- for me, at least -- within the context of other characters. So it's more appropriate if I discuss them in those threads. I also don't see them as having a real friendship and don't read anything personal into the interactions they had. They're a pairing low on my interest list.

That being said, I do wish we'd gotten more direct Eric/Jackie moments on the show. They mostly discussed each other with other characters. Eric's care for Jackie was incidental (or general because he's a good guy, not personal because he had specific positive feelings for her) and a matter of convenience. She looked for Donna, couldn't find her, and took Eric as a substitute since he was present. He offered advice usually to get her to stop talking to him about her problems.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Bringing over my conversation/response from this thread: http://www.fanforum.com/f27/lumberja...land-63110627/

---

The tumblr blog cheerleader-and-the-burnout wrote a great post analyzing Eric and Jackie's relationship. She and I are of a similar opinion, and I'm glad she wrote that up so I don't have to.

A few choice excerpts:

Quote:
[...] from what we know about [Jackie and Eric's] personalities, it makes sense that they wouldn’t be very close. They were two totally different people and, while the whole “opposites attract” thing worked for Jackie and Hyde because there was sexual tension between them, for Eric and Jackie -- who had no sexual tension -- it just meant that they sort of flew under one another’s radars.

Quote:
[...] even though [Jackie and Eric] shared a lot of moments together, they were never written in a way that led to a more grounded friendship and/or mutual respect for one another. Let me say here and now that I THINK THIS IS A FLAW IN THE WRITING. [...] It was funnier to the writers to have Jackie turn on Eric in both "Jackie’s Cheese Squeeze" and "On With the Show" than it was for them to have an actual moment of understanding.
Quote:
[...] Even though I don’t think their personalities would have allowed for a really close friendship, I would have at least liked to have seen more of the friendliness that underlined the antagonism. I’m all for love and friendship disguised as antagonism -- I think that’s largely why I ship Jackie and Hyde -- and outside of romantic comedies and sitcoms, there are plenty of these kinds of dynamics between friends that have nothing to do with sexual tension. I think that’s what the writers were going for, but, as you said, they could have done a MUCH better job of it.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:46 PM
Master Fan

I missed the conversation leading up to this. But I agree a lot with the excerpts you posted.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:48 PM
Obsessed Fan

I always come late to the game to everything, but I had to pop in here since I'd only heard of/considered this ship earlier this year. A friend of mine brought it up, and I remember going, "Eric/Jackie??" which is funny, because literally everyone is interested in each other except these two. And as much as they all interact, with the exception of the nice little pregnancy moment, I can't think of a single "real" talk they've had. Even so, I'm intrigued by the idea of them, because hey, I could literally ship everyone on this show, so why not? They all have great chemistry together, regardless of it being platonic or shippy. I'm only a little put-off by Hyde ships because my brother's nickname in middle school was Hyde (he resembled him with his afro). But other than that, I'm here for pretty much everyone. I'd considered drawing Eric/Jackie for a friend, but I'm so lazy that I don't know if I'd ever get it done. Like, I have the lineart mostly done, but again...lazy.

Stalk me:
My YouTube My Tumblr My AO3 My FanFiction.Net My Author Instagram
Old 12-06-2016, 07:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendra Luehr (View Post)
I always come late to the game to everything, but I had to pop in here since I'd only heard of/considered this ship earlier this year. A friend of mine brought it up, and I remember going, "Eric/Jackie??" which is funny, because literally everyone is interested in each other except these two.
The writers tended to write them as bickering siblings more than anything. Whenever Laurie wasn't on the show, Jackie was her surrogate for Eric. He even uses the same kind of insults on her as does Laurie (not the a-woman-enjoys-having-sex-shaming ones but the devil comparisons).

Quote:
I'm only a little put-off by Hyde ships because my brother's nickname in middle school was Hyde
That's unfortunate. You can think of Hyde as Steven since that what Jackie calls him.

Quote:
I'd considered drawing Eric/Jackie for a friend, but I'm so lazy that I don't know if I'd ever get it done. Like, I have the lineart mostly done, but again...lazy.
There's a small but passionate group of J/E shippers in the fandom, and they'd loooove fanart of them.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:35 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMountainHop (View Post)
There's a small but passionate group of J/E shippers in the fandom, and they'd loooove fanart of them.
Feel free to share it here as well (or link to it if you finish it. I'd love to see your work.

I always loved the sibling-like relationship those two had, so I never had a desire to see anything romantic between them.