Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2004, 10:08 PM
Extreme Fan

Episodes #6-24/25 (hour-long season finale) Opinion-Friendly Part 2

Luci said in the first thread we could start a new one, so I did.. I was thinking, if you could rewrite the finale, how would it go?

First, I would have taken out Laurie. Both out of the eppies, and the whole season. It doesn't do anything, especially for Fez. Wilmer was reduced from having a plotline of his own to just being in the background. Maybe he could get a job,

Second, I would have liked it if Eric and Donna moved to Madison. They were getting an apartment, and just because Red had the heart attack didn't mean Eric had to stay. Instead of the two becoming cariactures there could have been tons of development for them. Everyone could still hang out in the basement, just living in different places. For the finale they could have ran off together and eloped.

Red and Kitty last season, and seasons before, were my favorite tv parents and it seems for s6 they were mashed down to a drunk and a hard@ss. Like what Carol said, if he can get drunk and buy a canoe, he can work at Pricemart.

Jackie and Hyde needed some more lovin', and I'm not just saying that because I'm a Zenmaster. Last season was pretty Zen-centric but there were so many holes that could have been filled. The "new dad" thing is kind of worthless, but there could have been a scene where the two talked it out or maybe a hug and kiss. Kelso needed more. Instead of the cop academy, why not show the relation and friendship between Brooke and him? So many big..gaping..holes.

I shouldn't think so hard about fictional characters. I need a life.

she keeps coming closer
saying "i can feel it in my bones -
schizophrenia is taking me home"

Last edited by sevennationarmy; 05-23-2004 at 08:14 PM
Old 05-22-2004, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Fan

Re: Episodes #6-24/25 (hour-long season finale) Opinion-Friendly Part 2

Quote:
Originally posted by sevennationarmy
Luci said in the first thread we could start a new one, so I did.. I was thinking, if you could rewrite the finale, how would it go?

I'll probably go back and edit this to answer my question later.
I would make it not suck.

And everyone, let's try and stay on topic this time. Wouldn't hurt.

Logan: My underbelly is rock-hard. It can go all night.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Fan

I would make it *not* suck

Luci you are my hero for that line.

Well we all have different opinions on what we like and don't like--so this is how I, Carol, would have liked it to have gone.

*I wouldn't have ruined the characters by making them 1-D. I wouldn't write a plotline just for laughs.

*In no order*

Fez--He needs something to do! He had a great storyline with Nina. Why was this dropped? He's very creepy hanging out in Donna's closet
and under her bed.

Kelso--Two major f*** ups at the police academy and he's still allowed to continue his training? Yikes! The plotline with Brooke isn't bad in comparison with this cop b.s.

Jackie--She was starting to grow then the writers took it away. Bad bad writers. If this was a result of her romance with Hyde then it never should have happened.

Hyde--This out of the blue "he's got a different Father" plotline. I don't doubt Danny's acting skills--and he might get some great dramatic moments out of it--but it's just an unnecessary plotline. Why not bring the Bud Hyde character back so he and his Dad could've had some kind of closure?

Donna--If this is what happened to Donna then they should've saved "Magic Bus" for another time. She should've gone to school in Madison.

Eric--It is a tie between Eric and Jackie to whose character really got
cartooned up. Just because Topher had real life film commitments
does not mean they had to have Eric bail without any explantion as to where he went [and Red and Kitty not seeming to really care] on Donna a day before their wedding. I almost wish that Eric didn't go to California and Jackie didn't hook up with Hyde--and Eric and Jackie became the new couple.

Red--Too many stereotypical lines but no heart. (Character wise)

Kitty--What happened to America's favorite TV Mom? Too many liquor
references (even though if you watch the SYN reruns there were always some references) and freak outs.

Laurie--Miss Lisa Robin Kelly. When they decided to redo her scenes with a new actress was when someone should've said, "Let's ditch this idea"--after all it didn't help Fez' character any.

Bob--I think Bob is the only one who didn't suffer. And hopefully Tanya Roberts will return.

Other unncessary parts:

Brooke Sheilds--as Pam (not only is it a case of same character, different actor) it became all about Brooke Shields.

Seth Green as Mitch-I liked Mitch in "The Battle of Evermore" but in season 6 he was just unbearable.

What should have happened:

Eric and Donna move to Madison and no more angst. No more!

Jackie could live with the Forman's. Then you could have some interesting banter with her and Hyde with Red and Kitty.

Fez needs to get Nina back.

Kelso should not be a cop....but if they're going to go with it. I'd wish they'd stop the exaggerated plotlines regarding it.

Red needs to go back to Pricemart...if he can go out drinking with Bob and buy a canoe---he can go back to work.

We need the bubbly Kitty back.

They also forgot the date Eric had set being a day before Donna's birthday. Another example of sloppy writing.

That is all I can think of.

Carol

Last edited by Good_Day; 05-23-2004 at 08:06 AM
Old 05-23-2004, 08:39 AM
Master Fan

The one thing about Jackie though, I think her character has been squashed in order to gain some cheap laughs, but it could have been worse. I mean, at least she was there when the Foremans told Hyde about his dad. And at least she went with him on the trip. The writers could have made it a million times worse by leaving her out. Hopefully she'll be the one to listen to Hyde. If shes not, I refuse to watch this show ever again!

I wouldnt have had the new dad storyline. I'd have had Jackie and Hyde having a scene or two talking about their future. I'd have had no Pam, and more Midge/Donna. I liked Kelso's scenes. Fez needs something. Like a job. Or a girl to stalk/date. Donna needs a character overhaul. If Topher couldn't film many scenes, I would have had both characters leaving together, deciding together to not get married. It was stupid to say Eric just skipped town.

Okay, thats just established that I dont really know what I would have done differently! The only thing I do know is that it had the potential to be so much more than what it was.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:03 AM
Master Fan

Re: I would make it *not* suck

I took this title to be season finale....is it season six or finale? I'm just wondering.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Fan

Re: Re: I would make it *not* suck

Quote:
Originally posted by PPD
I took this title to be season finale....is it season six or finale? I'm just wondering.
It's both. The finale epi discussion basically entails discussing the events of the previous season and what it all boiled down to. In this case, what we would want to happen...based on seven's question.

Logan: My underbelly is rock-hard. It can go all night.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:54 AM
Master Fan

Re: Re: Re: I would make it *not* suck

Quote:
Originally posted by tenaciousluci
It's both. The finale epi discussion basically entails discussing the events of the previous season and what it all boiled down to. In this case, what we would want to happen...based on seven's question.
Ok thanks.....then I'll go with your response...not making it suck.

Except for the very last scene with E/D and the Big Star music...that I liked. And Fez in the Closet......when will he come out? Ya just never know I guess.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:30 AM
Elite Fan

For the final season to salvage some dignity for what was once my favorite show, they'll have to stop doing what I & many others have accused the writers of doing. No more cartoon-like exaggerations of each character. "Mailing it in" is too kind of a label for what they have done to our show. I'm convinced we could come up with a better ending for the gang at Point Place. However, it doesn’t help that the main character(Topher Grace) is allegedly too busy making movies to be bothered with the season finale of the very show that opened the door for those opportunities in the first place. Eric is the heart & soul of T7S. And if the actor who plays him couldn’t care enough to show up for the finale than why should the viewers? All the rest are just accessories. Including Kelso who I think in this past season, writers tried to build on his success outside T7S. I think the other characters suffered because of that. The writers have tried in a failing effort to cram way too many storylines into a 30 minute span. The quality has been greatly sacrificed for the sake of quantity.

Instead of 4 or 5 different storylines there should be no more than 2 per episode. If you need to give a character a week off to get it done so be it but not Eric. I think Eric & Donna clearly need some time apart. Both of them are made out to be the brightest of the bunch & if they continue with this marriage that will only compromise their characters. Fez is like comic relief for this sitcom turned soap. He’s still charming at times but overly annoying at others. This may be risky but we need to see a more serious side to Fez. Prove to us fans that he still(meaning prior to this season) has more to offer than just a pervert who obsesses over candy. Thankfully I think we saw a glimpse of that in the season finale. Kelso & Hyde have storylines that veer in the direction I fear dooms any sitcom & that’s one of more DRAMA. The Hyde story is in it’s infant stages so we’ll have to wait & see how that develops. Unless they’re planning a spin-off for Kelso after T7S(which wouldn’t surprise me) than I don’t see how they’re gong to make this work without “jumping the shark”. Jackie may be a lost cause. Gradually over the course of 6 seasons her character went from cute to annoyingly cute to just plain annoying. If she tried to show a heart now it would be hard to swallow. The writers have left themselves with a tangled mess. I’m afraid to see how it turns out, but it’s like a train wreck. As much as I want to, I just can’t look away.