Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Penn Badgley

Stolen Hearts [D&S] #137: How do we love DS? Let us count the 44 ways.

W E L C O M E T O T H E 137 th
DAN HUMPHREY & SERENA VAN DER WOODSEN
A P P R E C I A T I O N T H R E A D

How do we love DS? Let us count the 44 ways.

He was the outcast who disliked everything in her world.
She was the It-Girl trying to change.

Together, they are the S t o l e n H e a r t s,
the hottest, most mature teen couple on television.

T h e i r S t o r y S o F a r . . .
By: Mich

In history, there have been many star-crossed lovers who defied all odds, struggled to break free from the binds that tied them to the emptiness and loneliness of their separate worlds, so they could fall in love and escape into a world of their own making and be together forever. Gossip Girl has its own pair of star-crossed young lovers—Serena van der Woodsen and Dan Humphrey--who come from different worlds, live by different rules, and are incomplete without the other. Our story unfolds in New York City, where Serena lives her privileged, wealthy, and glamorous life on the Upper East Side while Dan lives a simple, carefree life in Brooklyn.

Dan and Serena's whole relationship is built on the concept of serendipity, and how one brief moment in time can change your entire life forever. Separated by society, class, and birthrights, they meet by chance and fall in love by choice. They attend the same private school, but the first time Dan and Serena cross paths happens by accident (or fate depending on your outlook on life) at a birthday party for a fellow classmate. An outsider looking in, Dan assumes his invitation was either by accident or a cruel joke perpetuated to make him feel like a walking punch line, which is how he feels, as he stands there alone and out of place, wondering if he has a place amongst the elite, crème de la crème of upper crust society, and if by fate, the answer is revealed in the form of the glamorous, beautiful, quintessential, It-girl Serena van der Woodsen, who instantly captivates his heart.

Dan knows that Serena’s completely out of his league—that he’s neither popular nor rich enough to capture her attention--but his affections and intrigue of such an elusive beauty follow him through the next several years as he dreams about the perfect chance encounter with her that will allow him to sweep her off her feet and win a date with her. As if fate is answering his call once again, Dan gets his next chance encounter with Serena at the train station as Serena’s returning home from being away at boarding school for a year. Standing there, spellbound and mesmerized, watching the radiant Serena stroll by, Dan feels the uncontrollable pull to her once again, and the insatiable need to unravel the mystery surrounding who Serena truly is inside her soul. His mission leads him to consult the oracle of gossip and scandal in the form of the omniscient Gossip Girl, and as he scrolls through pages of information of Serena, his mind spins with ways to be within grasp of her.

While Dan is discovering her present, Serena’s escaping her past and planning for her future. What Dan doesn’t realize is that Serena is a tortured young woman with a hole in her heart caused by regrettable choices: a self-destructive past of parties, boys, inebriation, and loneliness. Serena left for reasons that are quite painful for her, and that secrets threatening to spill, like the secret of the betrayal of her best friend, Blair Waldorf, by sleeping with Blair’s boyfriend, Nate Archibald are forcing her to live in fear for the ones she loves. Serena believed exiling herself to boarding school was the only way to protect everyone from the type of girl she used to be, but having reformed her old behavior, she’s hoping for a second chance to make amends and become the type of girl capable of love and friendship.

Her re-introduction to her former life is difficult for her, and rife with awkwardness, resentment, and questions, which she is not ready to answer, especially from Blair, so Serena hides in plain sight. A target for gossip and a scrutiny, which is the case when Chuck Bass, former adversary and friend, accosts her with the truth of her indiscretion and then accosts her physically, causing Serena to run away once again from her past and run straight into what will be her future, Dan.

Dan looking for Serena collides with her in a force strong enough to bring them both to their knees. As if giving them one last chance, fate leaves behind Serena’s cell phone, and allows Dan to step into the role of Prince Charming returning Cinderella’s glass slipper. Standing at the front desk, Dan argues about the verity of being Prince Charming as Serena appears and for the first time they find themselves face to face, fate watching from above as the instant attraction to one another takes hold.

As the adage says: the course of true love never did run smooth, and that certainly is the case for Dan and Serena, as Serena’s mother, Lily, arrives and derails destiny once again to inquire whether Serena is attending a party catered by Blair, but Serena taking hold of her own destiny, answers that she has plans—with Dan. Startled and befuddled, Dan agrees and saves Serena by keeping up the subterfuge of a mythical date, but as soon as Lily disappears, Dan allows Serena to break their plans except Serena’s a woman with her own mind and decides to keep the date. She has become as intrigued by the mystery surrounding Dan Humphrey as he has been about her for the last several years.

Serena and Dan are able to get to know each other on their date, but are interrupted by the outside world, which begins the trend of the outside world butting in on their private time together. Dan and Serena forfeit the rest of their date to rescue Dan’s younger sister, Jenny, from the insidious clutches of Chuck Bass. After, driving home in a taxi, sitting side-by-side, staring at each other in wonder and mutual appreciation, the destination is clear: they’re headed straight for one another.

Unfortunately, Dan and Serena come from separate worlds and being from different worlds becomes a huge obstacle, considering that Serena's world is really everything that Dan admits he's either indifferent to or outright disapproves of, so drama ensues before they can find common ground again.
They face many challenges—Serena’s past rearing its ugly head, Dan’s prejudices of her world, and especially the outside world expressing its disapproval. Every day, there is another person who wants to shake a finger at them, and gloat that their relationship will never work.

Serena’s world views Dan as a charity case or self-destructive whim to challenge her social breeding and test the boundaries of respectability. Dan’s world opines that Serena’s world of glitterati is too much for him to handle, and without a drop of blueblood to spare, that too much time spent engulfed in her world will destroy him. Dan questions this with his father, Rufus, who admits that his own foray into that lifestyle caused him to drown, which isn’t words of encouragement for Dan as he searches for a sign that Serena’s worth the effort. But if Dan’s looking for a sign then he should look no further than Serena, herself, because she’s certain they are worth the risk and refuses to give up without being given a fair chance. Her world doesn’t own her, and she makes her own choices, and her choice is Dan.

Serena coaxes him into asking her out another date, and her persistence pays off as Dan chances it once more. Of course, a lot is at stake with this date, and Dan succumbs to the pressures of making the evening perfect (forgetting the key element: himself) and instead adorably fails, but is given a reprieve from Serena, who reminds him once again, despite being from different worlds, she’s only wants him and the rest of the world be damned. Sealing with a kiss the promise of leaving the rest of the world behind to exist with only one another, they once again find common ground.
They learn together, through trial and tribulation that no obstacle can keep them apart for long as Serena and Dan battle their families, friends, wealthy trappings of society, and the masquerade of their true feelings for each other.

After the masks have been lifted and the confusion is cleared, they admit they care about each other—only each other—and develop an unbreakable bond that makes it impossible for anyone to come between them. Deciding to wait to be intimate in a sexual way with one another, they unintentionally stumble into the most intimate exchange that can exist between man and woman—the bearing of their souls. The honesty they share in that moment assures Serena that her past may creep between them, but Dan’s strong enough to conquer her fears and rescue her from her doubts.

Dan might’ve jumped in with both feet when it came to choosing Serena, but Serena’s ready to jump in, too, even if it means going to war against Dan’s lifelong best friend, Vanessa, for position in his heart and life. In Serena’s eyes, they don’t need five-star restaurants, town cars, Ritz Carlton's, Aspen Chalets or the other trappings of wealth—all they need is each other, a candle light bedroom or smoky pool hall playing bad 80's music. And, if the world gets to be too much then they should be able to just jump on a Vespa, and go find a place that accepts true love without a designated price tag.

As the story stands now, the rest of the world can give it their best shot at keeping them apart because the gauntlet has been thrown down between Serena and Dan and the rest of the world as they fall in love and try to maintain that common ground. Dan and Serena will fight with everything they have for their happiness, which means in true fashion of love stories that they will always be victors and that their separate worlds will always collide into one.

~by mylu

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5

Old 03-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Penn Badgley

C h e r i s h e d M e m o r i e s

P a s t A n i m a t i o n s

Thanksgiving Kiss

Hug & Kiss

The After Glow

Kiss at School

Arm & Forehead Kisses

those intimate touches..sigh

candellight dinner hug

you are amazing too...i love you

By: Paul

F i c t i o n s

Of Error, Of Significance - fated_addiction
We Were A Better House of Cards - fated_addiction
Modern English - fated_addiction
Arizona Stars - electrumqueen
Five Random Facts about Serena van der Woodsen - stealmy-kiss

V i d e o s

Come Home - Eliz
This Years Love - genkichiba
Run - ninjastars134
Lovestoned - awff7
My Eyes - Natalia
No One - eolove14
Over My Head - Veritas724
You had me from hello - mylu
Bleeding Love - lucaslovespeyton
Signal Fire - lublond
Mercy - Eliz

L i n k s

Dan and Serena

L a t e s t A r t & I c o n s

~by genki

More DS Icons

~by mylu

~ by kiss paradise

~by genki

Old 03-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Absolute Fan

YAY!

Hello all!
Old 03-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Penn Badgley

Hey Pat!
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for starting.
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Penn Badgley

thanks for the new thread
Old 03-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Penn Badgley

No probs!
Old 03-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

did you read the new interview with penn, ed, and chace, L?
Old 03-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Penn Badgley

Are you talking about the scans from Mel? If so yes
Old 03-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

and they ask about his dating stuff? LOL! And there was no clear answer once again.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Penn Badgley

I know! But that's ok Cristina we already know the answer
Old 03-08-2008, 06:21 PM
Absolute Fan

I really do hope he's going out with Blake *sigh* Perfect couple!
Old 03-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

LOL! I love it. Cause Ed gave a straight out answer while the other two played coy.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Penn Badgley

It'll come sooner or later

Pat, you should definately visit the PB thread on Blake's board. Good times

ETA: So hows everybody's day been?
Old 03-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

boring.