Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2018, 04:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
Old 10-06-2018, 04:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I guess that pic was supposed to go to Tiffani's thread It's nice.

I laugh at Val's S5 line I posted. I guess it was when she wanted to take notes from Kelly, but K did not let her do it. Was it for Finley's class?

Brenda stands alone. Because she can.
Icon by oth. fan
Old 10-06-2018, 05:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulan (View Post)
I guess that pic was supposed to go to Tiffani's thread It's nice.

I laugh at Val's S5 line I posted. I guess it was when she wanted to take notes from Kelly, but K did not let her do it. Was it for Finley's class?

Great pic!

No, the caps were from 5x16 - Sentenced to Life. Val and Kelly had a class together. Val ditched almost the entire semester and wanted to borrow Kelly's notes for an exam. Kelly says no because it wouldn't be fair for her since she attended every class.

I saw this as another stepping stone in them being even bigger enemies.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

thanks! Kelly was so stuck up there, oh my. I wonder how she passed junior year's exams without borrowing anyone's notes from classes she missed when she was on cocaine. But it must have been different for her, of course. Val's going through crisis after her father's death is to be taken less seriously than anything Kelly experienced.

I do not particularly like Val, but quite often I just have to cheer for her against Kelly

Icon by oth. fan
Old 10-06-2018, 03:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I do get where Kelly is coming from. She's got her reasons. 1. She hates Val. 2. She doesn't feel right for sharing her notes when she had to attend all the classes and did all the notes.

For the record, Val did pass. Also, Kelly overslept on the day of the exam. Val called her to wake her up. And then after Kelly thanked her, Val said "Hey, you would've done the same for me, right?" Eh, I doubt that Kelly would've called you, Val.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:26 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulan (View Post)
thanks! Kelly was so stuck up there, oh my. I wonder how she passed junior year's exams without borrowing anyone's notes from classes she missed when she was on cocaine. But it must have been different for her, of course. Val's going through crisis after her father's death is to be taken less seriously than anything Kelly experienced.

I do not particularly like Val, but quite often I just have to cheer for her against Kelly
I don’t agree. You are in college, not high school. You don’t get a free pass for not attending classes. Besides, Valerie wasn’t Kelly’s friend, so I don’t see why also she had to lend her her notes. The fact that you mention Kelly’s addictions as if they meant nothing is not very empathetic. Both Kelly and Valerie had a troubled upbringing, but Valerie was just a mean, nasty person. Life problems aren’t an excuse to be like that to other people. My opinion anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitsrachel (View Post)
I do get where Kelly is coming from. She's got her reasons. 1. She hates Val. 2. She doesn't feel right for sharing her notes when she had to attend all the classes and did all the notes.

For the record, Val did pass. Also, Kelly overslept on the day of the exam. Val called her to wake her up. And then after Kelly thanked her, Val said "Hey, you would've done the same for me, right?" Eh, I doubt that Kelly would've called you, Val.
Agree.

Last edited by HipHopKingMike; 10-21-2018 at 09:47 AM
Old 10-06-2018, 11:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Both Kelly and Valerie had a troubled upbringing, but Valerie was just a mean, nasty person. Life problems aren’t an excuse to be like that to other people.
Val was not simply mean, nasty person. She had more troubles than Kelly in that period, they were just not acknowledged and overemphasized as Kelly's. What were Val's problems in that period? Her father's death. What were Kelly's problems in that period? She was... too pretty. Kelly's got to be a branded victim of the show, and her troubles and problems were used as means to justify when she was mean and nasty. She was troubled, but also very privileged.

Quote:
I forgot about that. Fantastic.

I always gave my notes to the other people. Never thought it was a big deal.

Icon by oth. fan

Last edited by yulan; 10-07-2018 at 12:08 AM
Old 10-07-2018, 03:31 AM
Loyal Fan

Nop sorry, I don’t agree. I know that Valerie had her own share of problems but that’s no excuse to act the way she acted. It doesn’t matter whether Valerie was having more problems than Kelly at the time or not. They both had ordeals that they went through, the timing is not relevant. The fact that you say that Kelly’s problems were that she was too pretty means that you didn’t watch the show or you just forgot. An Absent father, a mother with addictions and bringing different guys every day, an eating disorder, survived a fire and was left with scars... Whereas you just keep bringing Valerie’s father. Everyone who watched the show saw the things that Valerie did and said. I know that you are her fan and that’s fine, but like I said, she was the one inherently mean and nasty, not Kelly. If Kelly was ever mean to her it’s because she deserved it. And priviledged and snobby? Yeah, she was but in earlier seasons just like Steve was too. That was their upbringing, what did you expect?

Last edited by Lesask; 10-07-2018 at 03:46 AM
Old 10-07-2018, 03:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
They both had ordeals that they went through, the timing is not relevant.
Timing is relevant, because we were discussing a specific period - mid-season 5, when the scene I posted took place.

Quote:
The fact that you say that Kelly’s problems were that she was too pretty means that you didn’t watch the show or you just forgot. An Absent father, a mother with addictions and bringing different guys every day, an eating disorder, survived a fire and was left with scars... Whereas you just keep bringing Valerie’s father. Everyone who watched the show saw the things that Valerie did and say.
I mentioned, and emphasized very clearly, problems they had in that specific period. Problems one had since childhood, like those you listed for Kelly, cannot be an eternal excuse for everything forever. And they were used that way for Kelly.

Quote:
I know that you are her fan and that’s fine,
As a matter of fact, I am not, I just see her as less privileged than Kelly, so I tend to often cheer for her against Kelly.

Quote:
but like I said, she was the one inherently mean and nasty, not Kelly.
See, I do not think she was inherently mean and nasty. It is hard to say what is inherent in any person, and what is a product of upbringing etc. I do not use such qualifications (like inherent) at all. i do not think any of the characters were supposed to be inherently mean and nasty.

Quote:
If Kelly was ever mean to her it’s because she deserved it.
Sometimes yes, sometimes not. Certainly not in the beginning.

Quote:
And priviledged and snobby? Yeah, she was but in earlier seasons just like Steve was too. That was their upbringing, what did you expect?
I'd expect her to be less self-righteous based on privilege and less snobby by S5, because she was supposed to be reformed, but she was not really. Her snobbery only changed to include intellectual pretensions.

Icon by oth. fan
Old 10-07-2018, 04:22 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
They both had ordeals that they went through, the timing is not relevant.
Timing is relevant, because we were discussing a specific period - mid-season 5, when the scene I posted took place.
Yet you mentioned Kelly’s cocaine problems when they didn’t happen in that season that you are referring.

Quote:
I mentioned, and emphasized very clearly, problems they had in that specific period. Problems one had since childhood, like those you listed for Kelly, cannot be an eternal excuse for everything forever. And they were used that way for Kelly.
You don’t know how psychology works do you? A person with problems experienced since childhood who don’t go to therapy or receive any other kind of help in order to overcome them, are simply dragged throughout adulthood.

Quote:
As a matter of fact, I am not, I just see her as less privileged than Kelly, so I tend to often cheer for her against Kelly.
I think it’s clear who was and was not priviledged on the show. If you lean more towards Valerie because she was less priviledged as you mention, that’s your prerrogative, but also a prejudice against “snobby and priviledged” as you keep mentioning it.

Quote:
See, I do not think she was inherently mean and nasty. It is hard to say what is inherent in any person, and what is a product of upbringing etc. I do not use such qualifications (like inherent) at all. i do not think any of the characters were supposed to be inherently mean and nasty.
That’s subjective.

Quote:
Sometimes yes, sometimes not. Certainly not in the beginning.
The beginning of what? Season 5? That’s called having intuition. Kelly wasn’t wrong about Valerie. And if you think that it was ok for her to lie to Cindy and Jim, smoke a joint at their house, hook up with Dylan and Steve at the same time are not reasons enough not to like her or trust her, well...

Quote:
I'd expect her to be less self-righteous based on privilege and less snobby by S5, because she was supposed to be reformed, but she was not really. Her snobbery only changed to include intellectual pretensions.
All the characters were still going through pshysical and emotional maturity. I don’t know what exactly you were expecting. Why was she supposed to be reformed? According to whom? You? But again, you keep mentioning the words snobby, priviledge. You clearly have an issue with that.

Anyways, you have your opinion, I have mine. However, I don’t think we’ll share a common ground when it comes to these two characters, which is fine, so I’ll just leave it at that.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:07 AM
Loyal Fan

Old 10-19-2018, 05:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Awkward for Clare. But I'm sure she's use to them going at it.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

Loved that scene.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
Old 10-20-2018, 10:19 PM
Loyal Fan

She was used to it.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:47 AM
Master Fan

Cool