Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Single Episode Discussion - 3x01 - "Misery Loves Company"

Hi everybody ,

A few months ago, a suggestion was made to start a thread discussing each episode in the series from start to finish.

For each episode, feel free to discuss the episode, post some of your favorite quotes, post caps, etc. As long as it pertains to that particular episode, post it! You're still welcome to reference other episodes. But please try to stay on topic.

The frequency of moving on to the next episode depends on how active the discussion/post is. When we go at least one day without a post, we move on to the next episode. For example, if the last post about Episode #1 was on Feb 13 and if there was no new post on Feb 14, then on Feb 15, we will start discussing Episode #2.

This all stays in ONE thread...all we change is the title to the current episode.

Board and rules still apply.

Since everyone seems to be busy tonight, I'll start with the pilot tomorrow night. I encourage everyone to watch the pilot for homework tonight and prepare for a fun discussion tomorrow.

Last edited by heyitsrachel; 10-18-2014 at 06:06 PM
Old 02-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

1x01 - "Class of Beverly Hills"

1x01 - "Class of Beverly Hills"

"When the Walsh family moves from Minnesota to Beverly Hills, California they experience a dramatic culture shock when they are exposed to the glamor, wealth, and privilege of their new home town. While parents Jim and Cindy try to become used to their new faster-paced lives, twins Brenda and Brandon learn that the student body at West Beverly High is completely different than the friends they left behind."

Air Date - Thursday October 04th, 1990

Description Source: TVRage.Com: TV Shows - TV Series - TV Listings - Online TV Community!

Ok, so let's start the discussion! What can I say about the pilot, except that it was good introduction to the characters. From the first scene with Brandon waking up in bed to the last scene where Brandon goes to bed, I think it also worked as a standalone movie.

I can also see from the beginning that the writers really gave Scott a really small role, as if they were ready to phase him out from the very beginning.

One thing I have to ask is that on the original aired version, do they play the same opening credits from S2 and S3 in the pilot opening credits too? Because I know that the DVD version has the same credits.

Everybody, please feel free to post your thoughts, caps, etc about the pilot. Thanks!

Last edited by heyitsrachel; 02-15-2012 at 10:23 PM
Old 02-16-2012, 12:22 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
From the first scene with Brandon waking up in bed to the last scene where Brandon goes to bed
Wow, I'm slow to notice that symmetry.

Quote:
One thing I have to ask is that on the original aired version, do they play the same opening credits from S2 and S3 in the pilot opening credits too? Because I know that the DVD version has the same credits.
Not at all! It's been a while since I watched all versions, but I remember being really disappointed in the change. There was a DVD release of just the pilot episode before there were any plans to release the series as a whole. Then there's the opening credits on the S1 DVDs, and how they were on the VHS release of the standalone pilot, LOL (yes, I bought that in the 90's). Then there's the original broadcast airing and the reruns in syndication ... all of these formats may have something different. Well, probably not all of them, but there's no reason that you should be hearing anything similar to the S2 and S3 credits in the pilot episode for S1. I mean, the first season's theme song itself is different. EDIT: I mean, you're hearing what you're hearing of course lol but, no, it wasn't like that for the original airing.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by playgroundDiaries (View Post)
Wow, I'm slow to notice that symmetry.
I just saw that too when I watched it the other day. All I remembered before then was Brandon waking up in the opening scene and Brandon and Brenda in Brandon's room as the closing scene.

Quote:
Well, probably not all of them, but there's no reason that you should be hearing anything similar to the S2 and S3 credits in the pilot episode for S1. I mean, the first season's theme song itself is different. EDIT: I mean, you're hearing what you're hearing of course lol but, no, it wasn't like that for the original airing.
Oh ok. I was like, why didn't they just use that one for S1 since it was so catchy?

Quote:
Then there's the opening credits on the S1 DVDs, and how they were on the VHS release of the standalone pilot, LOL (yes, I bought that in the 90's).
Are you referring to this one for S1? :

Old 02-17-2012, 12:19 AM
Elite Fan

No that song actually only played for one episode -- Season 1, Episode 2. Along with the pink lettering. I love it, lol. Those were the days where it was like, 'well, look boss, we have the capability of pink lettering, we might as well use it'.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for opening the Episode Discussion thread, Rach I rewatched the Pilot last night, this should be fun!

I think my favorite part is how they introduce the soon-to-be main characters from BH, aside of Bran/Bren. They really have substance even with the over the top storylines, and you can't help but want to know them even more. Except maybe for Donna who didn't really catch my attention and if I didn't know better, you would think she'd be in the background scenes most of the time. Kelly, Steve and David stole all the secondary characters scenes, imo.

About my favorite siblings, Brenda was seriously naive all the time and annoying at one point, but I found it so endearing anyway lol. Made me want to look forward to her next "life lesson" storyline. Brandon sold me the "good boy" image right away but I'm glad he didn't turned out to be some goofy, unfunny & shy guy in regards to girls...Go for that make-out session in the bathtub, on your first date, Boy Scout!

I think all of them were enjoyable somehow, from the first moment

Quote:
Then there's the opening credits on the S1 DVDs, and how they were on the VHS release of the standalone pilot, LOL (yes, I bought that in the 90's).
I bet you thought that was probably your only chance to buy something in motion from the show, didn't you? At least when I was rewatching episodes with my sister, we wanted to record every single thing because we never thought we would have a chance to buy the whole series, let alone in a format like DVD, lol. Those were the times

Quote:
No that song actually only played for one episode -- Season 1, Episode 2.
Does that mean that I haven't really seen the original credits from the Pilot Because I had the idea that the ones that Rachel posted were the originals...*is dazzed and confused* lol.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Except maybe for Donna who didn't really catch my attention and if I didn't know better
Possibly something to do with her 1.5 lines, LOL. Yeah, originally I thought they'd maybe do away with her, like Donna was just part of the canvas of Beverly Hills. On the same note, I thought Scott would stay forever because he was best friends with David and he wasn't going anywhere. At this point, they both had bit roles.

Quote:
I bet you thought that was probably your only chance to buy something in motion from the show, didn't you? At least when I was rewatching episodes with my sister, we wanted to record every single thing because we never thought we would have a chance to buy the whole series, let alone in a format like DVD, lol.
Yesss! Totally. The Graduation episode and the pilot came out and I was like, 'That's it! Here it is. This is what's being saved. Better get it'. Even though, of course I recorded it every time because I also thought I was helping to preserve history.

Oh, and the pilot VHS tape came with 8 character postcards. Which I taped to my bed.

Quote:
Does that mean that I haven't really seen the original credits from the Pilot
Oh gosh, let me check this out ...
Old 02-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet's Walk (View Post)
Thanks for opening the Episode Discussion thread, Rach I rewatched the Pilot last night, this should be fun!
Glad you like it.

Quote:
I think my favorite part is how they introduce the soon-to-be main characters from BH, aside of Bran/Bren.
From just watching the pilot, I never would've thought the writers would've introduce so many family members out of each character. I know that I thought they were really just focusing on Jim and Cindy. But I'm glad that wasn't the case.

Quote:
No that song actually only played for one episode -- Season 1, Episode 2. Along with the pink lettering. I love it, lol. Those were the days where it was like, 'well, look boss, we have the capability of pink lettering, we might as well use it'.
Wow, I don't remember anything about the original original opening credits music from the pilot.

I started to think what would the pilot be like if Dylan was a part of it. I don't know why and I hate myself for thinking this but I can see the original writers making Dylan the bully of West Beverly High. Sorry Dylan, I didn't mean to offend you. I'm glad you're a good guy. I still find it weird that they never put a bully in that school like so many other shows do.

Last edited by heyitsrachel; 02-17-2012 at 09:28 PM
Old 02-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
From just watching the pilot, I never would've thought the writers would've introduce so many family members out of each character.
Well, we've got Kelly's mom (V 1.0). Do they show Andrea's grandma? I don't think so. Who else, besides Jim and Cindy?

Quote:
I still find it weird that they never put a bully in that school like so many other shows do.
Maybe not a central, numero uno kind of bully, but there were bullies! They just ... tended to pick on one or two people. Like Chuck Wilson taunted the hell out of Steve, but that's S2. Joe Wardlow taunted Steve in S3, culminating in that drag race. And Tony Miller took a bite out of Kelly and Steve after the 'Back Story' video. ... Poor Steve. He took the heat for the entire school, lol. Damn, and then in college, with John Sears. Okay, one person will get picked on.

But in the pilot, those were bullies that Dylan was defending Scott against - oh wait, that's the next episode. Well, still, there's our roster. Can I tell you how much I love that Dylan was the person people thought was intimidating but was in actuality a defender against bullies? I don't know. I think, in the beginning, his voice would be too effeminate to make an effective bully.

Quote:
I started to think what would the pilot be like if Dylan was a part of it.
Like, would he have met Brandon and taken him to Marriane's party instead of the ocean? (probably not) Would the Brandon/Steve bonding time be compromised? (probably)
Old 02-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Well, we've got Kelly's mom (V 1.0). Do they show Andrea's grandma? I don't think so. Who else, besides Jim and Cindy?
You're right. Actually, I was referring to the entire series, mainly because I (and most fans) didn't think the series was gonna be that long.

Quote:
Maybe not a central, numero uno kind of bully, but there were bullies! They just ... tended to pick on one or two people.
I thought that this girl who almost became Kelly's lab partner might be a potential bully.....I was expecting her to push Brenda out of her seat after she sat down. I have a bad mind but I really thought she was gonna do that.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:57 AM
Fan Forum Star

tftnt! omg i just watched the pilot episode! it was great to see the gang in the 1st episode! brenda's first heartache & bradon's 1st misunderstanding with andrea!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

"We're definitely not in Minneapolis anymore." - Brenda
Old 02-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Oh, and the pilot VHS tape came with 8 character postcards. Which I taped to my bed.
Totally cute and aww-worthy

Quote:
I thought that this girl who almost became Kelly's lab partner might be a potential bully.....I was expecting her to push Brenda out of her seat after she sat down. I have a bad mind but I really thought she was gonna do that.
I would hactually think the opposite...I'd think she was a bully victim, since it was clear in that scene that nobody wanted to share a seat with her But I guess it can be interpreted in many ways

Quote:
"We're definitely not in Minneapolis anymore." - Brenda
Hehehe, maybe we could list our favorite things about each episode...like, favorite line, favorite comedy moment, favorite guets star...stuff like that

I gotta say too, Kelly is my favorite "secondary" character from the pilot, no doubt about it Jennie owned Kelly Taylor since the first moment and I loved that we saw many sides of her in just episode. She was memorable.

Anyone wants to share more pretty pics?
Old 02-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I gotta say too, Kelly is my favorite "secondary" character from the pilot, no doubt about it Jennie owned Kelly Taylor since the first moment and I loved that we saw many sides of her in just episode. She was memorable.
She's so gorgeous in those caps.

Quote:
Anyone wants to share more pretty pics?

Old 02-19-2012, 09:56 PM
Master Fan

Lol, Kelly seems to be thinking: "hmmm, she will make a perfect new apprentice "
Closed Thread   Post New Thread