Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Master Fan

Season Three Episode Discussion of the Week:Too Little, Too Late/Paris 75001

Season 3, Episode 3: Too Little, Too Late/Paris 75001

Original Air Date: 29 July 1992
Brandon becomes jealous of Andrea's new boyfriend, Jay, who invites her to Houston with him for a Republican convention, while she tries to get Cameron, to join on her day care group outings. Dylan's father, Jack, asks to put in a good word for him at his parole hearing, and Kelly keeps Dylan some company while mending her broken heart over leaving Jake Hanson (see Melrose Place). Meanwhile, Brenda and Donna arrive in Paris and they get a less than dazzling welcome to the City of Light after meeting brash students, as well as eating at a local restaurant.[/
Old 12-16-2007, 11:53 AM
Master Fan

Ok, now you all know that I'm a B/Dy shipper but this episode is where I draw the line., The way Dylan treated her in this episode is un forgetable and also uncalled for! "Dylan I can't (go to my parent's house)" "Too bad, we're going!" Oh my god he isn't her father!!!! That's all I can say for this episode!
Old 12-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

I don't think that was this episode Amy, I think the scene your talking about is from the previous episode.

Anyway I love this episode, mainly because of Dy/K's interaction

I'll go into more detail when I have more time.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Master Fan

EDIT- Courtney you're right I'm so sorry.

Too Little, Too Late, yes the interaction between Bn/A in this episode was terrific! I loved it! I think this is when we start to see Dy/K's relationship bloom, which made sme of us very happy!

Last edited by KellAndSteve4Ever; 12-16-2007 at 06:35 PM
Old 12-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtz_BV (View Post)
Anyway I love this episode, mainly because of Dy/K's interaction

I'll go into more detail when I have more time.
Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

My thoughts

I always loved the Donna/Brenda go to Paris storyline. It made me want to visit the city. A couple years after the episode aired I visited Universal Studios and was shocked to learn that the Paris episodes were shot on the Universal Studios Lot instead of Paris!

I'm not sure how much this episode did for French/American relations though. I think the French people smoking was a bit over the top. And the cab driver was so dramatic. All because they didn't want him to smoke? Not sure how realistic this is...

I also thought it was interesting how the entire premise of the show was how the gang were regular kids in extraordinary circumstances. But Brenda and Donna were "so Beverly Hills" when they first arrived in Paris.

As for the Andrea dating a Republican storyline... I was more interested in the Cameron storyline. Except when Brandon got jealous. Is it just me or did higschool Steve have the worst women advice? Lol. I love him but I would never listen to him if I were Brandon.

Brandon/Andrea were great in this scene. What makes you so damn irresistible? I love it! Go Andrea!

I like the actor who played Dylan's father. He was on another show... I forget the name.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
A couple years after the episode aired I visited Universal Studios and was shocked to learn that the Paris episodes were shot on the Universal Studios Lot instead of Paris!
I took that same tour!

More thoughts later ... The DVD commentary is great for satirizing the stereotypical portrayal of Paris. "Well, she has a beret. We must be in Paris. I mean, where else can you buy a ... ? [...] and cigarettes, and pastries."
Quote:
I like the actor who played Dylan's father. He was on another show... I forget the name.
Josh Taylor was on "The Hogan Family" (also called "Valerie" in some seasons, or "Valerie's Family").

Links:
YouTube - "Valerie's Family" Theme
YouTube - The Hogan Family Intro
YouTube - Valerie TV Theme (Seasons 1 & 2)

Last edited by playgroundDiaries; 12-16-2007 at 07:37 PM
Old 12-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Master Fan

Oh...I'm excited... I haven't gotten the dvds yet. But really, the french stuff was just horrible!

Amy- Sorry for the mix up. I skipped an episode. That's probably why you got confused.

OT: OMG. I used to watch that show. I have no idea what it is about but I remember the theme song. Thank you for posting it.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:25 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Amy- Sorry for the mix up. I skipped an episode. That's probably why you got confused.
That's ok Ruby!
Old 12-16-2007, 09:41 PM
Part-Time Fan

Josh Taylor is in Days of our Lives...the one and only Roman Brady...
Old 12-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Master Fan

I thought he was on DOOL but I wasn't positived.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Master Fan

Courtz, Mel and KoHannaD can't wait to see your thoughts on the episode.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Master Fan

Are you talking about me?

Well, I loved the interaction between Bn/A, it was interesting how they showed Brandon having feelings for Andrea and not the other way around. What was also interesting was that Andrea pushed him away when she'd had a hopless crush on him 2 years prior to that.

This was also the episode when Donna and Brenda get to Paris. I can't believe how mad that cab driver got when they asked him not to smoke! Then the hotel room, that was almost what my small apartment like place was like in Greece, not that nice! And who can forget the famous dinner scene? That's classic!

I was a bit suprised that Andrea wasn't more worried about the kids, I mean she just seemed to me like someoe who wouldn't just run off to Houston and not even worry about whp she might be hurting.

Also the letter Dylan wrote for his dad, that was so sweet! I mean if I had a father like that...well I probably wouldn't ever want to look at his face again.

I also loved the conversations between Dylan and Kelly, that was so cute! And of course the falling down in the Tug-A-War game! Also the begining of one hell of a summer!
Old 12-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

My favourite part of this whole episode was when Dylan & Kelly went and got a soda at the Beach Club, and they reminisced about Kindy, and the way Kelly makes Dylan smile is so cute.

I just knew then that something was going to happen between those two

Quote:
Courtz, Mel and KoHannaD can't wait to see your thoughts on the episode.
I know, when I come on here tonight I'll have more time to analyse it, can't do it while I'm at work
Old 12-19-2007, 11:20 PM
Elite Fan

Okay, I should just start talking before the week is up.
Quote:
Is it just me or did higschool Steve have the worst women advice?
Yes. Always. But Brandon knew that, so I think the times he listens to Steve it's like he knows he can use the bad advice as an excuse to act on his impulses.
Quote:
As for the Andrea dating a Republican storyline...
I'm always amazed at how Jay Thurman was not even known for, like, having a name or much else. He's just "the Republican". Kind of like "Brooke the Bigot" later on. Damn, he should have been named Richard or Robbie. ... Anyway, I kinda liked this plotline because it gave Andrea her first 'flying cannonball' moment before her official one with Dan Rubin. We got to see her all smirky-flirty with Jay at the restaurant before he dares her to meet her Liberal lips with his for all to see. Then, the actor who plays Jay went on to star on my next favorite show and become half of my next shipper couple, so it's really a trip and a half to look back and see him here. Probably how "Grey's Anatomy" fans feel about seeing Henry Thomas.

Quote:
I was a bit suprised that Andrea wasn't more worried about the kids, I mean she just seemed to me like someoe who wouldn't just run off to Houston and not even worry about whp she might be hurting.
But that's why she ended up staying ... for the kids.
Quote:
and they reminisced about Kindy, and the way Kelly makes Dylan smile is so cute.
Aww. Is that Australian slang for kindergarten? I have loved all the Aussie slang I've heard from you so far. Well ... even though I did feel the suddenness of Dylan and Kelly having alone time together, I had always kept in mind that they knew each other from way back in one capacity or another, so the kindergarten thing was consistent and cute as background info for me. Or maybe what's really cute was that Dylan was the "King of Quiet Time". Gotta love that. It's so him!

I knew Dy/K would get together as of the end of the last episode. I mean, that was not subtle foreshadowing. And then there were the suggestible ads. So I was really excited overall. Losing my mind, actually. These were my two favorite characters, so I'd have died over any friendship or romantic scenes between them, period. In about a week, I moved from 'ardent viewer' to 'obsessed fan'. I saw an emotional logic to what was happening, and part of the hook was just the surprise that I hadn't seen it coming. I mean, I recognized the possibility, but assumed it had been shelved by producers forever because it was too apparent, imo, that the development of a close friendship between these two would never stay platonic. And then they never got the necessary alone time to become better friends ... until now.

I was very happy Dylan opened up to her about his father, and she about Jake, and that they were both at turning points.

Despite being able to laugh at the DVD commentary mocking the scene where Jack recites "Green Eggs and Ham" to Dylan from jail, I've honestly cried over that scene before. And I don't cry for every sad scene or anything. I was immediately hooked into everything Dylan/Jack-related.

I just re-watched the Bn/A scene mentioned. Brandon sounds so arrogant when he says, "... So break it". Andrea's retort was with merit. She'd be seen as pretty weak had she just accepted and not given him a piece of her mind. What I like better is how easy it was for them to make up by the end of the episode. Brandon all humbled and Andrea so willing to proclaim, "Always friends", as if their relationship is virtually untouchable and she never doubted its ultimate strength for a second.

This is gonna be a long post, isn't it? Okay, I'm simply crazy about Brenda and Donna in Paris. So many of their scenes are just hilarious. Love the waiter's expression when D painfully lets out that she doesn't want fish or yelps that the menu is all in French. I just found out that writers Charles and Karen Rosin actually had the eating brains experience themselves and that's what inspired the scene. But there are many other memorable moments too. Specifically, when they agree to find Balzac's house at the end of one scene, and the very next line in the next scene is "Let's skip Balzac's house". It's a comedic timing thing. Speaking of which, the lines, "Thanks, Bren." / "Anytime, Don", are timed so well after being kicked out of that cab. And seriously, my favorite moment might be when Donna asks Bren to tell the driver that smoking causes lung cancer and heart disease, and emphysema ... and Brenda just deadpans, "Donna, my French isn't that good."

I'll be back with pics.

Last edited by playgroundDiaries; 12-19-2007 at 11:45 PM
Old 12-21-2007, 03:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

Ok so my thoughts on everything else that happened in this episode.

I also love Donna & Brenda in Paris, I loved when Donna ordered the brains and Brenda followed suit (why Brenda, why? ) , also their reactions when they realised what it was "It's a little mushy" haha, priceless. Also when Donna & Brenda are at the party and Donna is just stuffing her face with food because she couldn't speak french .. well it made me laugh heh. I just adored their time and moments in Paris I never liked that Maggie girl though (I think that was her name) she was so critical of Donna .. eh.

Oh and this is the first episode where I thought to myself .. Brandon is a JERK. I couldn't believe what he said to Andrea, I'm so glad she beat him down a peg or two, his arrogance really was getting to my nerves at this stage "I'm Brandon Walsh, all the girls want me and they all can't resist me" .. ugh, get over yourself Brandon, love, LOVED Andrea's line "What makes you think your so damn irresistable", take that B

Quote:
Brandon all humbled and Andrea so willing to proclaim, "Always friends",
I loved seeing Brandon like that, almost like he was squirming, was good to see him get a reality check, I have no idea why Andrea was so forgiving though? Sure they were great friends but he was acting like a total jerk, I would have made him suck up to me for ages heh.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread