Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Part-Time Fan

Ay ay ay. There haven't been many new stories on ff.net since I last came here.

But maybe I'm just picky, heh. I have my pairing preferences and I tend to not read about those in which I don't have much interest.

That said, I still selfishly wish there were more of it!

Perhaps it's time to call on my muse...
Old 07-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixen in Violet (View Post)
Perhaps it's time to call on my muse...
yesss!! fantastic idea. :-)

I'm picky about quality of fics that I find on FF. Some of them are just... awkward. I don't like when people make some of the characters so completely OOC that they aren't even recognizable. kwim?

Brenda Dylan
Old 07-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaShipsBD (View Post)
yesss!! fantastic idea. :-)

I'm picky about quality of fics that I find on FF. Some of them are just... awkward. I don't like when people make some of the characters so completely OOC that they aren't even recognizable. kwim?
Tell me about it. I try not to rant about it here (who knows what authors I may run into?), but that is another reason why I mentioned the lack of fics... I'm *really* talking about the lack of quality fics.

I don't mean to just discount people's work as not good enough, but you're right about the OOC thing... it seems at times that the characters are just fitted around whatever the author wants them to be - Mary Sues if you can believe it.

And then there's the grammar and spelling issue. :/

Btw, if you happen to read anything of mine and find it to be out-of-character or whatnot, please let me know.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Dedicated Fan

nah. I think that most of us that post on here (or that I recognize from here, at least) care enough about the show that we try to keep them in character. I know that I caught a bit of flack for a Reaction that Kelly had in one of my fics, but I honestly don't think it was too far fetched. And if I ever get around to finishing that story the readers would see that there *was* a reason. kwim? I love Kelly's character... most of the time. I think that each of the characters in the show had an important role and it really irks me when people that don't "like" one character for whatever reason write fics that just completely destroy said character.

Take Val. Yes. She was a mega-b*tch. but she had depth, too. I see too often where fanfic authors just make a character a b*tch for no real reason other than the heck of it. If that makes sense. It's late. I'm rambling.

And the grammatical stuff annoys me, too. It makes it hard to read. I'm certainly no English major, but at least my stories all remain in the same verb tenses. /rant.

I need to gather some inspiration and start writing again. I don't really know where I want to take any of my fics though. Maybe I'll try to get a one shot written or something. That may give me a sense of accomplishment that I finished something and motivate me to try to finish one of my other fics that haven't been updated in like.. a year.

Brenda Dylan
Old 07-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Part-Time Fan

Haha, yes, I often ask myself while I'm writing if the direction I'm taking is actually realistic. But then I remember that I wouldn't even be writing about it if there weren't a reason in the first place, as in something that happened in the show or was hinted at. Plus, even if people call it unrealistic, they may just not *want* their favorite character to act a certain way. Personally, even though, as far as I can remember (I've only seen up to the eighth season), Kelly has never acted like an absolute monster like some characters, I see the potential for it, and that's what I'd use in a story. (Sorry, I'm not the biggest Kelly fan, lol, but I wouldn't just bash her without good reason.)

Anyway... long and probably unnecessary explanation. ;P

I don't know about you, but I'd have to say that BH90210 has some of the most... unhelpful reviews out of any fandom I frequent on ff.net. It could be something like "I don't like x and y together!!!" or "I hate x character." Or, if the story happens to have their favorite characters, I often see this: "Plz put x and y together they belong together do more thanks."

.__.

Quote:
I need to gather some inspiration and start writing again. I don't really know where I want to take any of my fics though. Maybe I'll try to get a one shot written or something. That may give me a sense of accomplishment that I finished something and motivate me to try to finish one of my other fics that haven't been updated in like.. a year.
Lol, that's why I just post stories when they're finished now. The first fic I ever wrote was posted as I came up with the chapters, and I think there was a good long year between the second to last chapter and the finale, which... was not such a good thing. x) It's also less stressful (lol, how pathetic does that sound?). Good luck anyway.

*sends you plot bunnies of inspiration*
Old 07-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Lol, that's why I just post stories when they're finished now. The first fic I ever wrote was posted as I came up with the chapters, and I think there was a good long year between the second to last chapter and the finale, which... was not such a good thing. x) It's also less stressful (lol, how pathetic does that sound?). Good luck anyway.
That's a great idea. I hate reading a fanfic I really like only to find out it doesn't have an ending. It's kinda like watching a show and finding out it's been canceled before the finale aired. I actually finished mine about 2 years ago but just now decided to post it. But I am getting the feeling like I want to extend it.

Last edited by heyitsrachel; 07-08-2010 at 10:31 PM
Old 07-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmurray (View Post)
That's a great idea. I hate reading a fanfic I really like only to find out it doesn't have an ending. It's kinda like watching a show and finding out it's been canceled before the finale aired. I actually finished mine about 2 years ago but just now decided to post it. But I am getting the feeling like I want to extend it.
You could always write a sequel.

Brenda Dylan
Old 07-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
You could always write a sequel.
Haha, that's what I was going to say.

I started planning out a story last night, though there are a lot of details I'm missing (especially since I haven't seen the entire show.. *shifty eyes*) but I'm working on it. Chances are, though, if it's long, it won't be finished and published for a while now, but I guess it all depends on how inspired I am until I get writer's block, lol.

Also, I think I'm having a bit too much fun playing around with the characters' current situations. I'm not sure I want the tone of it to be so.. snarky, but it's more fun to write that way. And it can still be changed.

Wow, okay, I'll stop blabbering.

Gook luck to both of you on writing!
Old 07-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Also, I think I'm having a bit too much fun playing around with the characters' current situations. I'm not sure I want the tone of it to be so.. snarky, but it's more fun to write that way. And it can still be changed.

Thanks. Good luck to you too. Playing around with the characters isn't a bad thing as long as it doesn't go out of control. But then again, people have different opinions on what is out of control and what is not.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Haha, that's what I was going to say.

I started planning out a story last night, though there are a lot of details I'm missing (especially since I haven't seen the entire show.. *shifty eyes*) but I'm working on it. Chances are, though, if it's long, it won't be finished and published for a while now, but I guess it all depends on how inspired I am until I get writer's block, lol.

Now I'm intrigued.

Brenda Dylan
Old 07-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I think that each of the characters in the show had an important role and it really irks me when people that don't "like" one character for whatever reason write fics that just completely destroy said character.

Take Val. Yes. She was a mega-b*tch. but she had depth, too. I see too often where fanfic authors just make a character a b*tch for no real reason other than the heck of it. If that makes sense. It's late. I'm rambling.
ITA It's very refreshing when fic writers don't use characters they hate just as a tool to get their characters together or just for the sake of destroying them...Especially when it's a show like 90210, where it's easy to confuse "troubled girl/boy" with "villains"...

Rachel, I'm 4 chapters behind on your fic but I'll start catching up tonight
Old 07-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet's Walk (View Post)
Rachel, I'm 4 chapters behind on your fic but I'll start catching up tonight
It's cool, Caro. Take your time. I'm spending a lot of time working on a new vid so I don't know when the next new chapter's gonna be uploaded. I'll try to post a new one once per week. Thanks again for reading.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Now I'm intrigued.
Haha, well, we shall see where this goes...

I can't help but laugh when I read what I've written so far. The only thing is, will I be the only one to find it funny? x)
Old 07-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Chapter 17 - What Matters Now NEW
Old 07-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Part-Time Fan

Okay, so here's a quick question.

Anyone know the Walsh twins' birthday?