Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2007, 03:50 PM
Master Fan

Did Dylan try to have sex with Erica in his dream? Please say No.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Elite Fan

NO.

I never ever thought I would hear the theory that Dy feared Kevin/Suzanne/His Dealer were trying to get him to sleep with Erica in his coma dreams.

The whole thing with Erica in his waking life and throughout the visions in that episode is that she's been 'taken away from him'. Actually, there's probably about 10 ways we could psychoanalyze this, but without popping in the episode again, here's some thoughts.

That sequence at the pool hall highlights Dy's two addictions in S5: hard drugs and women. Dylan is trying to avoid indulging in/being exploited by/being forced into both during that point where he's being held down on that pool table against his will. The real nightmare (initially) is that his dealer is going to force heroin into his arm! When he sees Erica, he gets upset because that's a reminder of the loss that drove him to drugs in the first place. At the same time, he's ashamed of how she would see him abusing himself and falling into drugs if she were still around. And if she is, then him being punctured here would only lead him to fall further away from her again, and towards death potentially. I also got the sense that he feared they might try to hurt her too. But overall, she's just a huge reminder for all the pain he's going through. It hurts to look at her and know that she's been taken away from him. Note that she's in the custody of the people in his dreams, and he's bound by their will, separated from her ... and, quite frankly, being anesthetized from her via the drug injections.

Erica screams at the EXACT point that she sees Dylan's dealer puncture his vein with the needle full of heroin.

I never got the sense that he was being asked to sleep with his little sister. And I don't think 90210 would even 'go there', in dreams.

Pics coming ... I gotta post this.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Master Fan

Thank god! I was getting worried there!

Ok, I'm confussed, was Erica taken away from him in real life or is that just in the dream? 2. Did Erica lead Dylan to drugs? or do you mean because she was taken away from him he started useing drugs?
Old 10-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Master Fan

WOW! I never ever even really tried to analyze Erica's position into this. I don't know how I missed it because I analzye like everything. But there is not one thing I disagree with on there. That was stated perfectly and makes total sense. hahaha I'm in awe over your post haha.

yaaay pictures are coming!

Erica is really taken away from in his real life, this is the biggest reason he turns to drugs because he believed he had a family only for it to get taken away again; consequantly, leaving him alone with nothing. He wasn't exactly finding his friendships to be exactly strong after what went down with Brandon and Kelly lololol.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:17 PM
Elite Fan

Just imagine if we re-watched and went scene by scene, moment by moment. I mean, 90210 was not very deep , but it was moreso than some give it credit for. And I'm not even talking about what was just stated. Somehow, I think that midget, though, was just thrown in for 'good measure'. I think it was Luke who said, "This is about as David Lynch as we're gonna get", and, personally, I see some things, post-analysis, that are just thrown in his movies for weirdness' sake too. But I digress ...

Here's him not quite enjoying himself with Claire. I know many of you have seen these, but I know Amy hasn't.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:22 PM
Master Fan

OH I think I just figured it out. He's pinned to the pool table right? He can't move. Ok that makes more sense to me.

Yea he definitly doesn't look like he's enjoying that! Thanks Mel!
Old 10-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Master Fan

90210 was more deep than we give them credit for but its not as deep as we make it out to be. Some of our reasonings and reading between the lines is just understanding the character. It doesn't make what we're saying not true, its more so drawing conclusions from character qualities and personality.

hehehe I never get tired of looking at these caps.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:32 PM
Master Fan

Yea, I think we get used to a characters personality and when they change, like when Dylan starts doing drugs or when Kelly started doing drugs. we make it seem like "Oh my god!" When I think if we really look at the situation we can see that the reason they change isn't as major as we make it out to be. David, is a great example. He was working terrible hours, he and Donn (and Kelly) were having problems. So him doing drugs wasn't a suprise.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
its more so drawing conclusions from character qualities and personality.
Well, that's the whole point of watching what's scripted. It's what allows us to FEEL what's scripted.

You know what I totally forgot? Erica's pain. I think when he sees her, he's also having to consider how she must be feeling now ... thinking that Dylan just up and abandoned her. To be honest, I think this is mainly how I read the scene up until ... two minutes ago. Drugs would help him NOT think about that. Now, he's forced to, and it's painful, and his dealer is ready to 'make it all better'.

I also thought of it as, 'They're gonna take her away from him again', and that's why he says, "No ... No ..."

Old 10-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Master Fan

Thats a very good point Amy. Some of it wasn't as huge as we make it out to be and sometimes it really was. David is a perfect example, he gave in and that does happen to a lot of people unfortuantly.

Kelly doing drugs, when you have a parent who has done drugs or is an alcoholic you have a higher percentage of having the same problem than someone who doesn't have a parent that did drugs or is an alcoholic. It's been said that it was unrealistic for Kelly to fall into drugs, and for a long time I agreed because she had seen the horrible effects that it did to her...oddly enough now I believe that that is the very reason she was drawn to it in a way, because she saw it as a method of taking away pain that her mother used. she grew up with it, it's not as shocking as its been made out to be...kinda like david.

hahaha I'm waiting for the arguments on that one, I have a feeling they are coming

Mel, yes yes so very true. It's much fun I must say. hahaha oh I just love reading your thoughts on this episode! I'm so brain dead right now I can't think of anything to add, but what you're saying is sooooo true!
Old 10-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Master Fan

How old was Erica in that episode? She looks about 8 or 9.

Thanks Mel

Quote:
Kelly doing drugs, when you have a parent who has done drugs or is an alcoholic you have a higher percentage of having the same problem than someone who doesn't have a parent that did drugs or is an alcoholic. It's been said that it was unrealistic for Kelly to fall into drugs, and for a long time I agreed because she had seen the horrible effects that it did to her...oddly enough now I believe that that is the very reason she was drawn to it in a way, because she saw it as a method of taking away pain that her mother used. she grew up with it, it's not as shocking as its been made out to be...kinda like david.

That is not true. Look at Jack McKay, he was, what would you call it? I can't think of it, but he was "Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know" Dylan wasn't. The same with my mom, except she was an alcoholic not whatever Jack was, I am 14 years old and I had a tiny sip of my dad's beer one time, you know what I did? I spit it oiut! It was the worst thing I've had in my life! My mom is also a smoker, so is her dad and my dad, Jack used to be. I hate the smell, look, and I'm sure taste of cigerettes. I know I will never do drugs or alcohol.

Last edited by KellAndSteve4Ever; 10-19-2007 at 04:49 PM
Old 10-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Master Fan

You know I always thought she around that age until the episode where Dylan teaches Erica to go swimming and some other stuff happens...yeah...you find out she's actually 12...in fifth seaon she's 13 lolol.

Oh I'm sooooo jealous of that spiffy hat Erica is wearing in that cap! hahahahaha j/k!!!
Old 10-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
hahaha I'm waiting for the arguments on that one, I have a feeling they are coming
Meet me on the Jennie thread in a few, then.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Master Fan

Really? she looks so much younger! I guess that's a good thing though!
Old 10-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Master Fan

Just so you know this is what my health teacher told me about the alcohol and drug thing!!!! I would gladly gladly love to get the correct facts! I only know what I've been taught. GAAAH! You know how I feel about debats!! hahahaha!!!

oh yes she looks mad younger than she was suppose to be on the show