New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2018, 03:10 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Movies

Well said, Mike

That's why I think Brandon and Kelly waiting for a few years before getting together was really beneficial to them both. He observed her from afar, saw her struggles and her failed relationships and how they shaped her into the strong person she became.

You're the first boy I ever kissed, Jake. I want you to be the last.
JakeMelanie
Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:40 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMikeTarzan (View Post)
I love that speech by Brandon to Chancellor Arnold - of all the guys she had in her life he understood her better than anyone and this is the real true connection not the make believe connections they put on other couples. I'm a realist and very truthful.

It's not about how long you knew that person, it is how much you understand that person - quality is always better than quantity
Very well said indeed. I don't want to name names, because this isn't a bashing thread, but I do remember a moment when someone else claimed to be bonded with Kelly in ways that Brandon just couldn't understand -- and Brandon simply walked away from that weird comment without even bothering to respond, not feeling threatened in the least.

In fiction, they say that showing is more important than telling. One of the things I like about Brandon and Kelly is that we actually see them being there for each other as a couple.

Meant to be from the moment they laid eyes on each other. Would've been if Jason hadn't left.
James26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:57 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Beverly Hills 90210

Totally agree with you James and Gwen.

Although we shouldn't be bashing other couples on the show but truthfully if anyone has half the sense would know what is reality and what isn't and yes James I know exactly what you are talking about and 100% agree
Couples that I ship: Whitley/Dwayne (A Different World), Will/Lisa (Fresh Prince Of Bel Air), JR/Sue Ellen (Dallas), Cliff/Claire (The Cosby Show), Martin/Gina (Martin) Brenda/Dylan and Brandon/Kelly (Beverly Hills 90210), Monica/Chandler (Friends)
Huge Fan of 60s,70s,80s,90s, 2000s R+B, HipHop and Motown music
KingMikeTarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:38 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by James26 (View Post)
Very well said indeed. I don't want to name names, because this isn't a bashing thread, but I do remember a moment when someone else claimed to be bonded with Kelly in ways that Brandon just couldn't understand -- and Brandon simply walked away from that weird comment without even bothering to respond, not feeling threatened in the least.

I know the "someone else" you're referring to () and I think Brandon handled that really well. Most people would have retaliated through violence or mockery, but he just takes the high road and walks away. That's what I liked about Brandon - he wouldn't tolerate anybody telling him that his love for Kelly was going nowhere. He went through many tough times trying to explain this to Valerie, who was always taunting and interfering.

JakeMelanie
Old 06-22-2018, 06:41 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Beverly Hills 90210

That person was Dylan but people believe in that "particular connection" - I would not say anymore than that

Brandon was going through a lot with his parents moving to Hong Kong and lost his College President role, then Kelly playing dumb blonde during this period. Brandon is a smart guy and doesn't take weird nonsense like that - that is why he is my favorite character on the show - at least he was normal
Couples that I ship: Whitley/Dwayne (A Different World), Will/Lisa (Fresh Prince Of Bel Air), JR/Sue Ellen (Dallas), Cliff/Claire (The Cosby Show), Martin/Gina (Martin) Brenda/Dylan and Brandon/Kelly (Beverly Hills 90210), Monica/Chandler (Friends)
Old 06-22-2018, 02:22 PM
Addicted Fan

I didn't like that silly triangle for a number of reasons -- which I won't get into here. What I did like about that walk-away moment, however, was Brandon's faith that his and Kelly's love was stronger.

And, sure enough, in the next episode, Kelly told him that she was still open to getting married one day. Of course, Brandon naturally felt betrayed at that point, which led to their super long separation.

That's the thing I will never, ever agree with in any show: breaking up solid couples without good reason. It's a sign of laziness on the writers' part. If you need to be creative, find ways to do that while keeping them together.

I didn't want Brandon and Nikki separated, but I'll admit that the reasons made some degree of sense.

Brandon's my favorite character too, Mike, mainly because he's down-to-earth and ethical. He's the kind of person that most of us aspire to be.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:07 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Beverly Hills 90210

I hated triangles too - it ruins a lot of things.

Guys need to take Brandons footsteps when it comes to life instead of being a bad boy wannabe like Dylan with no future prospects. Brandon is a wise and mature man. I was a bad boy myself who had tonnes of chicks which was great short term but doesn't fulfil anything in the long run. The sad reality is that many women I know go for bad boys and truthfully get screwed over....i should know because I was that bad boy. I always advise men to take a leaf out of Brandons book and don't fall into the satanic trap of being a bad boy
Old 06-22-2018, 04:20 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Movies

Aww Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James26 (View Post)
That's the thing I will never, ever agree with in any show: breaking up solid couples without good reason. It's a sign of laziness on the writers' part. If you need to be creative, find ways to do that while keeping them together.

Yeah, they did it to B/K (and D/B, for that matter) way too many times. Wait... AND David/Valerie.

I don't know how I made it through 8 seasons of this show, to be honest.

JakeMelanie
Old 06-22-2018, 05:04 PM
Addicted Fan

Breaking up D/B in S3 was probably a risk. In the early '90s, this was practically the hottest show in the world, and I imagine that D/B were a big part of the reason why. I still find that decision kind of gutsy.

I don't dislike triangles in general. I just didn't care for that particular one in S5.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:04 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Beverly Hills 90210

Awww Gwen. Love the appreciation gif.
Maybe I should open a thread called "KingMikeTarzan Appreciation Thread" with a title suggestion 'Because he swings from chandeliers"

It was my wife who turned me into a responsible person after all the naughty partying things so I was doing

This show came close to greatness but lost out due to popular screen couples breaking up like BD and BK whom majority of fans love. However this is fiction, I'm just more bothered about real life like watching the World Cup and putting my England shirt on - yep Football's Coming Home
And this Tarzan like Three Lions so I guess I'm the King of the Jungle

James, the Brandon/Kelly/Dylan triangle was a utter joke

Last edited by KingMikeTarzan; 06-22-2018 at 05:19 PM
Old 06-24-2018, 12:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Beverly Hills 90210

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMikeTarzan (View Post)
Guys need to take Brandons footsteps when it comes to life instead of being a bad boy wannabe like Dylan with no future prospects. Brandon is a wise and mature man. I was a bad boy myself who had tonnes of chicks which was great short term but doesn't fulfil anything in the long run. The sad reality is that many women I know go for bad boys and truthfully get screwed over....i should know because I was that bad boy. I always advise men to take a leaf out of Brandons book and don't fall into the satanic trap of being a bad boy
While it may be the mature thing to follow Brandon's footsteps (aside from cheating on Kelly), I think Dylan was living in the moment and enjoying life. I think that he was careless and caused a lot of hurt along the way with Brenda, Kelly, and with Brandon. But I guess he either figured he's doing what makes him happy at the moment and not thinking long term OR that he thinks the people that he hurt will eventually forgive him.
heyitsrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:34 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Beverly Hills 90210

But he wasn't happy with his life Rachel.

Yes he did what he did and hurt people along the way which shows no happiness and being content in his life. His life was a mess and basically caused his own issues which were self inflicted. Sure he had a sad life with no parental guidance but he became old enough to make choices. But I get what you are saying
Old 06-25-2018, 06:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Beverly Hills 90210

He can't help that his character was the guy who gets all the angst all the time.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:26 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Beverly Hills 90210

Of course he can, he just simply chooses not to. People can change if they want to - it depends on the individual. It's up to the person which path he or she chooses. I looked into Dylan's character and realised he is actually his own worst enemy most of the time. I know many guys who were bad but changed because they choose to. I don't have sympathy for Dylan's character at all
Old 06-25-2018, 08:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Beverly Hills 90210

I meant that the writers gives angst to his character.
Reply   Post New Thread