Old 05-12-2008, 06:05 PM
Master Fan

'The Beverly Beat' News Thread #2: {Post Counts/News/DVD Info}

Recent News: 90210 Returns to TV

Quote:
Upfronts: The Return of 90210
08:15 PM PT, May 11 2008

It's happening! It's REALLY happening!

The CW has confirmed that the spin-off of "Beverly Hills, 90210" will be on its fall lineup. As if there was ever a question, but we're excited anyway.

The contemporary version of the 1990s FOX hit will focus on a family that reflects today's celebrity culture: a grandmother (Jessica Walter) who was a huge star in the 1970s and now likes to hit the bottle a bit; her son, who is the new Beverly Hills high school principal, and his ex-Olympic athlete of a wife (Lori Loughlin) who are both thirtysomething; and their two teenagers. The daughter (Shenae Grimes) is -- what else? -- an aspiring actress. The son is a brainiac with behavioral issues.

But it wouldn't be possible to have a spin-off without a visit from the ghosts of West Beverly High past. Jennie Garth will be reprising her role as Kelly Taylor. Only this time, she's a guidance counselor at her alma mater. The role is recurring.

The rest of the cast includes Ryan Eggold, AnnaLynne McCord, Dustin Milligan, Michael Steger, Jessica Stroup and Tristan Wilds.

Asked what the title of the show will be, a CW spokesman said: "90210." We'll take it!

-- Maria Elena Fernandez
Quote:
"90210" officially on the CW map

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - It's official -- the CW on Sunday picked up the "Beverly Hills, 90210" spinoff to develop as a series. The network also renewed "The Game," the comedy about a group of women who are married to professional football players.

And with the pickup of new series "Stylista," the CW went for a full night of Tyra Banks/Ken Mok fashion-themed reality shows.

"90210" centers on a three-generation Beverly Hills family. Original cast member Jennie Garth has signed on in a recurring role, reprising the part of Kelly Taylor from the original series, who now will be a guidance counselor at her alma mater, West Beverly Hills High.

"Stylista," described as a reality version of "The Devil Wears Prada," centers on 11 aspiring fashion enthusiasts as they vie for a much-coveted editorial job with Elle magazine.

The project appears Wednesday-bound as a companion piece to Banks and Mok's "America's Next Top Model."

"Stylista" contestants will work as assistants to Elle's fashion news director, Anne Slowey, in each episode carrying out an assistant's task and a fashion editorial assignment.

Each week, in consultation with Elle's creative director, Joe Zee, Slowey fires one person, until the last assistant standing gets "promoted" to the real-life job opportunity.

The grand prize includes a paid editorial position at Elle magazine, a paid lease on an apartment in Manhattan and a clothing allowance at H&M, all for one year, valued at $100,000.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Quote:
CW Officially Picks Up “90210”
11-May-2008
Written by: E. Van Dril

The network also picked up Tyra Banks’s new creation.

A day after Jennie Garth was officially attached, the CW announced Sunday that it picked up the Beverly Hills, 90210 spin-off.

The network also chose to renew comedy The Game and picked up the Tyra Banks/Ken Mok fashion-themed reality show, Stylista, which means the CW will devote an entire night to Tyra Banks-created programming.

Gabe Sachs and Jeff Judah, who cowrote the pilot script and are executive producers for Beverly Hills, 90210, will stay on to run the show.

Banks’s Stylista has been described as a reality version of The Devil Wears Prada, and will feature 11 aspiring fashion enthusiasts competing for a job with Elle Magazine.

The show, it was announced, will air before America’s Next Top Model on Wednesday night.

The contestants on the show will work as fashion assistants to Elle’s fashion news director, Anne Slowey, where they carry out different tasks that Slowey assigns them throughout the show.

Actors Returning:

Quote:
Jennie Garth Joins 90210 Spinoff — It’s Official!
Sat, 10 May 2008 at 2:28 pm

Jennie Garth, an original cast member of Beverly Hills, 90210, has snagged herself a recurring role (not a regular one) on the CW’s new spinoff of 90210.

Garth, 36, will be reprising her role as Kelly Taylor but will play a guidance counselor at her alma mater, West Beverly High. Former 90210 stars Tori Spelling and Ian Ziering are also out to secure roles in the new spinoff.

Last month, Jennie abruptly dropped out of the CBS comedy pilot, My Best Friend’s Girl.

Also last month, AnnaLynne McCord and Dustin Milligan joined the 90210 spinoff.

Other additions to the show’s grown-up cast include Lori Laughlin (Summerland) and Jessica Walter (Arrested Development).
Quote:
Tori Spelling to star in Beverly Hills, 90210 spin-off?

Tori SpellingTori Spelling is set to star in the Beverly Hills, 90210 spinoff, according to a report.

Nikki Finke, of Deadline Hollywood Daily, writes: “I know there have been lots of rumors to this effect in celebrity mags and infotainment shows. But one of my reliable TV business sources is hearing that Tori Spelling is going to be in the Beverly Hills, 90210 spin-off just picked up by the CW.”

Spelling — who, for 10 years, played Donna Martin in the hit 80s teen drama — has previously said she would love to be in the spin-off.

“I’d love to somehow be a part of it,” she revealed in March this year. “That as well would make my dad proud.”

source

Last edited by Ruby_Slippers; 05-13-2008 at 09:36 AM
Old 05-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Master Fan

I was going to start Ruby I just wanted to wait until the old one got to 301.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:22 AM
Total Fan

IT's Official...

Tori Spelling arrives at her book launch thingytail party on March 18, 2008 in West Hollywood, California.
Michael Tran/FilmMagic
Buzz up!

Looks like Jennie Garth isn't the only Beverly Hills, 90210 alum returning to her old zip code.

Tori Spelling – who played Donna Martin – has been tapped to co-star in the new spin-off version of the '90s hit teen drama, a source confirms to Usmagazine.com.

"She will be a recurring character," the source adds.

DeadlineHollywoodDaily.com first reported the news.

"I am excited about it," Spelling told Us in April when asked about the new version.

"In some way, every show that followed 90210 was a remake of 90210," she added. "For the fans' sake, I am really happy for them."

Spelling's father Aaron created and produced the original series.

Former Full House star Lori Loughlin has also signed on and The CW has also hinted that other original 90210 stars could be reprising their roles.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:24 AM
Obsessed Fan

Oh...Joy.

Caution: Posts may contain dangerous levels of sarcasm
Old 05-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Master Fan

Sorry, Amy. I didn't realize. You can start the next one

I'm excited to see who else will sign up to be in the spinoff.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Total Fan

nice op R...

me too.. im excited to see who else would join them...
Old 05-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Master Fan

That's ok Ruby!

I'm glad Tori will be back! Dy/K fans feel free to kill me but I don't know how much I want Luke to be on the show (If Ian is on there as well) I guess I'm gettng a VERY strong feeling about an S/K reunion. I'm sure it won't happen but right now I'm hoping like crazy fora reunion!
Old 05-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Obsessed Fan

Hey...They still haven't cast Max Silver.

Caution: Posts may contain dangerous levels of sarcasm
Old 05-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieXscene (View Post)
Oh...Joy.
!!

I seriously hope not too many more originial cast members join .. I mean, it's been 8 years I don't really want to see anymore of Beverly Hills 90210

Quote:
I guess I'm gettng a VERY strong feeling about an S/K reunion. I'm sure it won't happen but right now I'm hoping like crazy fora reunion!
I doubt it will happen, S/K have been a closed chapter for a while, if they were going to mention anything about Kelly's love life it would be either Dylan or Brandon.

But I really don't think they will sign any more old cast members on, they want to start something new not try and inject life into something old.

Just my opinion of course
Old 05-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellAndSteve4Ever (View Post)
Dy/K fans feel free to kill me but I don't know how much I want Luke to be on the show (If Ian is on there as well) I guess I'm gettng a VERY strong feeling about an S/K reunion. I'm sure it won't happen but right now I'm hoping like crazy fora reunion!
Ummm..... I don't think so. And not because I'm a DK fan. I don't think they'll be bringing too many of the old 90210-ers back to reprise their roles. It's bad enough that they're doing this in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieXscene (View Post)
Oh...Joy.
My sentiments exactly!

ETA:
Quote:
The New 90210

Looks like school’s back in session for the 90210 spinoff!

The CW released a photo of the hot, new cast — (from left) Dustin Milligan, AnnaLynne McCord, Jessica Walter, Shenae Grimes, Tristan Wilds, Lori Loughlin, Ryan Eggold, Jessica Stroup and Michael Steger, but no Jennie Garth in sight, though the original Beverly Hills, 90210 star will be making special guest appearances as a guidance counselor on the spinoff.

The spinoff centers around Shenae Grimes’s character Annie Mills and her family’s move from Kansas to the world’s most famous zip code to be closer to Annie’s grandmother.
Brad Jen

Last edited by SMUSH; 05-13-2008 at 05:37 PM
Old 05-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I don't think they'll be bringing too many of the old 90210-ers back to reprise their roles.
ITA.

And even Jennie won't be on there full time, like I said, that chapter is closed, they are moving on to a new era.

The cast look so young & hot, love some of the girls shoes there.

The new era has begun
Old 05-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtz_BV (View Post)
The cast look so young & hot, love some of the girls shoes there.

The new era has begun
One thing about this cast that has it over the old cast -- better wardrobe!!!
Brad Jen
Old 05-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

It's funny because it's true.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:29 AM
Elite Fan

Looks like the CW have talked with most of the orginal cast.

Quote:
'90210' upfront and center for CW
Net also unveils earliest fall launch so far

By Paul J. Gough and James Hibberd
May 13, 2008, 11:09 PM

NEW YORK -- Pop band Maroon 5 said it best in its live performance of "Goodnight Goodnight" at the CW's upfront presentation Tuesday in New York.

"Something's gotta change/It must be rearranged," singer Adam Levine crooned, echoing the CW's desperate need for a turnaround following a ratings slump this season, partially because of the writers strike.

To get back on track, the network plans to sharpen its focus on its target demos, CW Entertainment president Dawn Ostroff said at the network's party/presentation at the large tent by the Lincoln Center.

The CW also plans to get a jump on the competition with its earliest fall launch ever: Sept. 1.

Ostroff -- and her two 3-D holograms -- introduced the CW's new "omgtv" fall branding campaign, shaped up to be on the cutting edge of its tech-savvy audience. Maroon 5 will part of the campaign.

"We are playing to our strengths and programming to women 18-34," Ostroff said. "For the first time ever, we've got flow through the week."

As expected, the centerpiece of the CW's presentation was "90210," the upcoming contemporary spinoff of "Beverly Hills, 90210."

A crowd-pleaser was the trailer for the show, which featured interviews with some of the principal cast members, including Lori Laughlin and Jessica Walter.

"We're confident that the new '90210' will be the most buzzed-about series of any this fall," Ostroff said.

In an interview before the presentation, Ostroff said the plan is for original "90210" characters to be popping in for a visit on the spinoff.

"We've been speaking to most (original cast members), and they're interested in one way or another," she said.

The CW is going for all-Tyra Banks/Ken Mok-produced night on Wednesdays with new fashion-themed reality show "Stylista" joining veteran "America's Next Top Model."

"This is most compatible show you'd ever want to follow 'Top Model,' " Ostroff said.

The only blank on the fall schedule was on Sunday where the CW has yet to announce the shows that will be produced by MRC, which recently closed a deal to program the night.

Buyers generally were pleased by the CW's presentation and its approach.

Shari Anne Brill, vp programming at Carat, likes the sharpened focus and appeal to women 18-34.

"They're going back to what the WB was," she said. "I want to see some film (pilots), but these are shows that their audience wants to watch."

The CW ordered only three pilot presentations this past development season, but it plans to do more after the upfronts for midseason consideration.

Already set for midseason is freshman "Reaper," after an eleventh-hour renewal.

Initially, it felt very similar to "Smallville, but "once they started to focus more on relationships of characters, the show got more interesting," earning "another chance," Ostroff said.

"Reaper" won't necessarily air on Thursdays, she said. As for the perception that the upcoming season will be the last for "Smallville" -- not very accurate.

"You would have said several times during its run that the show is just about dead," Ostroff said. "So I would never count it out."

Archie & Veronica
Brooke & Lucas Dylan & Brenda

Old 05-14-2008, 12:51 AM
Loyal Fan

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea if most of the originals show up at some point. The ending given in Ode to Joy may not change in that case because the writers may find it convenient to keep things the same. I wasn't happy with the ending, so I'll be disappointed if that happens. Just giving my opinion on this.

Last edited by bigtimefan; 05-14-2008 at 01:27 AM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread