Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Anti-Brenda Walsh #11: Because, In The End, She Was Just A Pathetic Mess.

< Welcome To The 11th Anti-Brenda Walsh Thread >

Credit: Courtz_BV

This thread is designated for the people who abhor the character of Brenda Walsh, were annoyed by her attitude, or just plain winced every time she made her appearance on screen.

Just Three Rules;

1. No bashing of Shannen Doherty, cause she is just the actress who had to play this abnormally rude character. We cannot fault her for that.

2. No bashing of the posters that are anti-Brenda Walsh, cause no one should fault us for our good taste.

3. No bashing of the posters that are pro-Brenda Walsh.

Why We Can't Stand the Sight of Brenda Walsh;

1. Because she is the real hypocrite; having the audacity to act like a victim when Dylan cheated on her when she did the same thing in Paris.
2. Because all she ever did was whine.
3. Because she was a 6 year old brat in the body of a 16 year old.
4. Because she threw her childish temper tantrums every time she didn't get her way.
5. Because the best years of 90210 were after she left.
6. Because yelling at her parents were her favorite past time.
7. Because she completely took her brother for granted, often rallying for favoritism.
8. Because she was a near-sociopathic Social Climber.
9. Because she was so defensive all the time that no one could be honest with her.
10. Because she thought that her fears and problems ("I HATE my hair!" / "Mom, you KNOW I don't like anchovies!") were greater than everyone else's.
11. Because she got real holier-than-thou whenever anything good happened to her.
12. Because her whole relationship with Dylan was him comforting her whenever she'd freak out about something.
13. Because she didn't appreciate the wonderful family she had.
14. Because she took her loving parents for granted.
15. Because there was no spark to her.
16. Because "Kelly has microwaved popcorn for dinner."
17. Because she lied to a guy about her age. She shouldn't be shocked when he dumps her.
18. Because we just don't think she was that interesting.
19. Because there was a 'I Hate Brenda' newsletter, in the prime years of 90210.
20. Because she is the real hypocrite who made out with her best friends boyfriend back in Minnesota to break them up.
21. Because karma is a bitch, just like her.
22. Because she got what she deserved.
23. Because she never listens and ends up getting herself into sh/t.
24. Because she was a brat; full of obnoxious, self-serving complaints and complete disregard for those around her.
25. Because who says we have to accept the protagonists they give us?
26. Because Brenda losing Dylan was the best thing that ever happened to her.
27. Because she was too caught up in her own problems to be loyal to anybody else but herself.
28. Because her sense of entitlement is truly out of this world.
29. Because she intended to miss her flight from Paris to Beverly Hills as she chased after Rick and she wouldn’t have returned to Dylan if she had caught him in time. Brenda is only as loyal as her options.
30. Because she was constantly showing off.
31. Because "You and Jake aren't even up there with David and Donna".
32. Because she was always ranking the level of importance that other people's relationships had, and she was always on top in her mind.
33. Because Brenda Walsh was SMUG.
34. Because she had no humility whatsoever.
35. Because she lived for power and prestige, drooling over her own ruthlessness.
36. Because everything was about rank and position in Brenda's eyes.
37. Because her and Kelly may have had a bond based almost entirely on mutual envy, but at least Kelly envied things that mattered, like a sense of family. Brenda envied material possessions and social status.
38. Because Kelly’s mom is on drugs and all Brenda can talk about is how she wished she had a cool mom and life like that. "What’s your biggest problem? So many clothes so little time?"
39. Because she preached about what she was not.
40. Because she was hardly there for her brother; he was always the one popping his head in her room to ask her what was wrong.
41. Because "Come on, Mom. Anybody who is anybody goes to Palm Springs for Spring Break."
42. Because if she was upset everyone had to know (i.e.: slamming doors, yelling, storming off exc.)
43. Because the difference between Brandon and Brenda is Brandon worked for his success and Brenda demanded hers.
44. Because when you start having problems with Andrea Zuckerman, you might as well commit yourself.

Anti Brenda Quotes;

"That means Brenda is being a self-centered little bitch."
- Kelly Taylor from 2.28 Wedding Bell Blues

"She's ungrateful, she's deceitful, she’s irrational. What we got here is a manipulative little girl who is spoiled rotten to the core."
- Jim Walsh from 3.02 The Twins, The Trustee, And The Very Big Trip

"Well, you know us Walshes, boring and predictable."
- Brandon Walsh from 3.22 The Child Is Father to the Man

"I'm no Brenda Walsh, but I think I'm getting the hang of playing someone obnoxious."
- Brandon Walsh from 5.24 Unreal World

"She seems like such a long time ago. Everybody does, man. Just, like, 'people' I knew in High School. Except you ... Kel. Know what I mean?"
- Dylan McKay from 5.02 Under the Influence

"You know what they say, Brandon. Girls mature faster than guys." / "Not in my house, they don't."
- Steve & Brandon from 3.08 The Back Story

"Nobody knows me here. I could be anybody. I could be somebody."
- Brenda Walsh from 1.01 Pilot
Straight from the horse's mouth....

"Everyone here looks like they stepped out of a music video. I don't even have the right hair."
- Brenda Walsh from 1.01 Pilot

"The power to persuade someone to buy something they didn't even know they wanted in the first place, there's nothing like it in the world."
- Brenda Walsh from 2.19 Fire and Ice
Her first lesson in manipulation...

"I'm sorry that everybody is put off by the idea of an independent woman trying to take an aggressive posture in pursuit of a specific goal..."
- Brenda Walsh from 2.19 Fire and Ice

"The verdict is in. He dropped me off first... not only first but before Andrea Zuckerman."
- Brenda Walsh from 2.06 Pass/Not Pass
God forbid.

"To be a bitch or not to be a bitch, that is the question."
- Brenda Walsh from 2.03 Summer Storm

"Brandon, do you have any pull with the year book editor? Because I have two nominations for the most conniving - Kelly Taylor and Dylan McKay."
- Brenda Walsh from 3.16 It's a Totally Happening Life

"Do you ever wonder if there's someone in the world you were meant to meet and then by chance or weird twist of fate you don't and you miss out on your destiny?"
- Brenda Walsh from 3.05 Shooting Star / American in Paris

"It's better to be the rejecter than the rejectee."
-Brenda Walsh from 4.16 Crunch Time

"Who was that masked woman? She didn't raise her voice. She didn't make any threats."
"Are you surprised?"
"You're not?"
"Well, isn't that why we sent her to France in the first place? So she could grow up?"
- Jim & Cindy from 3.05 Castles In The Sand

Credit: PlaygroundDiaries

Articles/Interviews;

Source: US Magazine (back when it was akin to Interview or Rolling Stone; not the tabloid it is now), by Margy Rochlin, 1993.

SD: "I think one of the main problems is that my character started off very sweet and gradually she became sappy. She takes everything too seriously and feels like she's being
f'ed over all the time. [People] aren't separating Shannen and Brenda Walsh. They hate the character, so they automatically hate me."

Later in the interview [...]

SD: ""I Hate Brenda" - that's not me, that's my character. And I agree. I don't like my character. And the only people to turn to is our writers. They should probably read this newsletter. I don't think she's written properly. I would like for them to make her a little bit more believable - not quite as sappy or bitchy or whatever."

TV’s Poor Little Rich Girls
Brenda Walsh (Shannen Doherty),"Beverly Hills, 90210"

Please—it was never believable that haughty Brenda wasn’t destined to live in Beverly Hills. It took her no time at all to befriend two wealthy blondes and begin dating Dylan (Luke Perry), the hot, rich bad boy who fashioned himself after James Dean.

Of course, they all eventually turned on her, and she did what any good Midwestern girl would: She went away for college to find her roots and, when that didn’t work, she pursued “acting” in London. If that isn’t typical bratty behavior, we don’t know what is.

TV's poor little rich girls | Metromix Chicago

“Brenda Walsh from Beverly Hills 90210 played by Shannen Doherty, was voted #10 out of the 13 most memorably unpopular characters from hit TV-shows!”

Shannen Doherty : jokaprue@yahoo.com

When Brenda Walsh Was Young: The revolutionary first season of Beverly Hills, 90210.
By Marisa Meltzer
Posted Thursday, Dec. 7, 2006

On their first day of school, Brandon's mullet isn't exactly a fashion statement in Beverly Hills, and he has trouble figuring out which clique to sit with at lunch, while Brenda assimilates more readily, embracing Beverly Hills' plasticity and developing an instant California twang ("byeeeee").

Making the show's female lead the bitchiest character was a bizarre and depressing move for a series that catered to—and was mostly enjoyed by—adolescent girls. […] for Brenda, the end of season one was already the beginning of the end.

The revolutionary first season of Beverly Hills, 90210. - By Marisa Meltzer - Slate Magazine

A Guide to Recognizing Your Partygoers: A Brenda Walsh Is Best Avoided, 5/3/07, by Amina Akhtar

Species: Brenda Walshes
Etymology: Hipsters attempting to dress like the 90210 character. Ironically, of course.
How to Approach: "Brendas are a very dangerous breed. As their famous fictional counterpart so gloriously demonstrated, a hello can quickly lead to a catfight. Warning signs include eye rolling, sighing, blowing of the bangs, crossing arms, and, most dangerous, the raise of one eyebrow while pursing the lips. Whenever possible, avoid Brendas all together."

A Guide to Recognizing Your Partygoers: A Brenda Walsh Is Best Avoided -- Daily Intel -- New York News Blog -- New York Magazine

VH1’s Best Week Ever, 2006:
Then: Brandon’s saucier, more rebellious twin sister Brenda was the primary catalyst for the ever-scandalous, series-long love tug-of-war with Kelly over the reserved intererest of Dylan McKay.

Despite sharing Brandon’s small-town upbringing, Brenda was much more attracted to the turbulent, superficial nature of Beverly Hills teen culture. Brenda experienced the same high school angst and agony as her brother, but wasn’t afraid to vocally, over-emotionally, express her endless frustrations.

After a characteristically-dramatic goodbye kiss with Dylan, Brenda left for London and was never heard from again. While we’ll never know for sure, her time across the pond was likely spent crying, writing bad poetry and sullenly staring at pictures of Dylan for hours on end.

[Brenda will] likely spend the remainder of her days agonizing over all the things she could have done differently, a tragic victim of her own blind ambition.
------

December, 1998, TV Guide:

(Spelling, however, says a reunion is unlikely: "Brenda is in the past. We've told her story.")
-------

AOL Where Are They Now? 2008:
"Doherty's Brenda Walsh was supposed to be the show's heroine, but her whininess, obsession with fitting in and ongoing battles with frenemy Kelly for the love of rebellious Dylan irritated fans so much that she's one of the few TV characters to inspire an anti-fan 'zine."
-------

Details Magazine,
Nov. 2008:
Brenda was initially a likable, naïve beauty, but her equanimity didn’t last long: she soon morphed into Elizabeth I in Guess jeans, adopting a kill-or-be-killed attitude toward all of teendom. Kurt Cobain’s refrain “Here we are now, entertain us” might have captured the nineties Zeitgeist, but so did Brenda’s Season 2 bon mot, “To be a bitch or not to be a bitch—that is the question.”
[...]
“I don’t think Brenda was a complete brat,” Doherty says. “She was fueled by her insecurities: not being from Beverly Hills, not feeling safe in that environment. And then the love of her life was stolen from her. That can really injure a young girl’s esteem.”
[...]
But Doherty has returned for another reason: She’s looking to rewrite the personal history of her alter ego, and maybe her own. Doherty wouldn’t commit to 90210 until she was given assurances that Brenda wouldn’t wear an arrested pout. Ms. Walsh implausibly returns to West Beverly High from Broadway, as a drama teacher.

“I wouldn’t have done it if she was stuck in the same spot,” Doherty says. “There were moments when I hated Brenda, but there were other moments when I saw vulnerability and greatness in her, and believed her passion for life would make her a great actor—but not someone you would necessarily want to hang out with.”

The Nine Dispositions of Brenda Walsh;

Giddy flattery, for when someone else thinks she's 'the awesomest'.
Deer-stuck-in-headlights, for when she realizes she doesn't have a clue about something (and hopes no one discovers this).
General frustration, or what I like to call the 'step-in-here-anytime-Brandon' expression.
Snobby pretension, for when she goes along with other's impressions of 'the nerds' in the early years and/or makes a crack about Steve to impress, as well any statements of superiority over the gang.
Protest sulking, as seen when she locks herself in her room and stays in her pjs because she's upset something didn't go her way.
Defensive rage, which is just self-explanatory and very flexible. Sometimes justified. Sometimes not. Always beneath the thin surface, though.
Compassion, cause yes it's there, even if it gets eclipsed so often by her other expressions.
Catty B/itch, who lives to cut down others at any cost and make them feel bad about themselves via verbal whiplash.
Smirkiness, which can be cute but too often masks a manipulation that's not.
Brenda Bashers;
SweetSymphony
cliffy spuffy dreamer
kingjames23
Daniella Ivette
barbeegurl00
KellylovesDylan
MusicofNight07
oneflyCHICK
Liz01
Polia*MAD*Fan
nemapasara
Jaime Bee
natehaley23
playgroundDiaries (Except S4/late S3)
LALEY-FOREVER
SMUSH
*Lori89*
90210-Steffi
Courtz BV
KoHannaD
tootyfnfrooty
soul junkie
ashleyn22
lielabet7
Ellie Cameron
Shiri Appleby
Dk Undeniable
emesoohci
CrAshaholic
Kelly_Dylan
robert90210
xxxninaxxx
Shaherezada
tvjunky73
Freckles909
.DylanMcKay<3KellyTaylor.
Kelly McKay
*Max&Liz4ever*
Ruby_Slippers (Only Brenda 2.0.)
bickering love

Honorary "Anti-Brenda" Supporters;

Shannen Doherty.

Picture We Love to Hate;

Moment We Love To Hate;

B: Mum, if you'd really think that of me, you don't know who I am.
C: Brenda, what am I supposed to think? Anna found this in your closet. Tell me what to think, please.
B: I could tell you, but I shouldn't have to. And I'm not going to. Just go ahead and think the worst of me.
C: What you did tell me was how much you wanted things. I mean, that's all I heard, how everybody else has everything. Look. It's okay. You went overboard. We can deal with this, but we just have to be straight with each other.
B: You know what? You're right. I did want things. It has been so hard for me here. Everyone here has known everybody forever. All I wanted is to blend in like I used to. And not only won't you give me money, but then you go and get a maid!
C: Look. She needs the money more than we do, and she works for her money ...
B: [Cuts Cindy off and stands up in a huff] Sorry, mum, I am not Anna! I am not Brandon! I am not perfect.
C: Well, neither am I! You know, it's been hard for me, too. I don't have my friends here. At least Anna is someone that I can talk with. Maybe not with, but ... why would you need three identical skirts? I mean, you left all the price tags on, honey. Maybe you wanted to get caught.
B: You know what I wanted? I'll tell you.I wanted to steal. I WANTED TO STEAL, MUM!
C: Calm down.
B: NO, YOU CALM DOWN! [Hysterical] I went into the store, I saw this gorgeous vest. It was so much! It could have been so easy, but I didn't do it. I couldn't. You know what else? You don't know me at all.
C: Brenda!

Icons;

Credit: iconzicons @ LJ

Previous Threads;

Anti Brenda Walsh: Because She Was Boring.
Anti Brenda Walsh #2: Because She Was A Childish Brat!
Anti Brenda Walsh #3: "I Was A Supreme Bitch. I Was Petty, I Was Mean ..." (2.06)
Anti Brenda Walsh #4: There Was An 'I Hate Brenda Walsh' Newsletter, Speaks for Itself.
Anti Brenda Walsh #5: Because She Doesn't Play Well With Others.
Anti Brenda Walsh #6 : Because She Took Cheap Shots At Other Womans Sexuality.
Anti Brenda Walsh #7: Because Death Glares Are Not A Sign Of Maturity.
Anti Brenda Walsh #8: Because She Is As She Drives: Rude And Obnoxious!
Anti-Brenda #9: "She's Not Someone You Would Necessarily Want To Hang Out With." - SD
Anti-Brenda Walsh #10: "When You're Jealous You're So Judgemental." / "Look who's talking!" - Brenda and Brandon

Last edited by ride the lightning; 11-19-2008 at 12:22 AM
Old 11-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Master Fan

Awesome! Thanks for starting, Court.

Let the Brenda hate continue.

Icon by Court
Old 11-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oooh I can't wait for next weeks episode.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Master Fan

Ok, here's the main part of the Jason interview as it pertains to Brenda's health crisis.

Quote:
Jason Priestley on Brenda Walsh's Rumored Illness: "That's Awesome!"

Oh, Brandon. Didn't your mama teach you not to sound too excited when someone mentions your sister might be sick?

Apparently not, because Jason Priestley said this when asked today about the unconfirmed (and possibly totally untrue!) rumors that his former onscreen sister Brenda Walsh (Shannen Doherty) might have a serious and possibly fatal health issue on the CW's 90210.

"Oh my goodness! This is all news to me, but that's fantastic. Wow, that [would be] awesome. No, they haven't given me anything yet. I don't even know if the episode is written yet! But I love those rumors. That's juicy stuff."
I have a link for the whole thing somewhere. I'll search for it.

Spoiler about what may really be going on.
Spoiler:

Icon by Court
Old 11-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oh, damn I was hoping for something worse

But Jason is hilarious.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Master Fan

I've always liked Jason...but that just made me love him.

I know I can't say what the spoiler is...obviously...all I will say is that's still pretty awesome. It proves our point. It's a bit of a let down, but oh well.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah well .. it's still ok I guess. I imagined much better though
Old 11-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Master Fan

I know I know. I'm just trying to see it as the glass half full.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Master Fan

I think we all imagined something much better, but this adds to her pathetic factor in such a major way that it's almost worth it.

Jason rocks for saying that. Still looking or the link. I keep getting sidetracked.

Icon by Court
Old 11-12-2008, 04:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Old 11-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Master Fan

Oh it really is pathetic that she did that considering something I can't say cause it hints at the spoiler, but I'm sure you know what I'm thinking. It fits with our title perfectly.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Master Fan

Oh, without a doubt. This is the most comedic circumstance I think we could have for in here. The thing we can't talk about is just so perfect for this thread that I still wonder if the producers and writers are lurking about in here.

Icon by Court
Old 11-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Brenda is a mess.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Master Fan

We do seem to be getting our way about a lot. Hmmm maybe someone is checking the internet world out...
Old 11-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Master Fan

That's an understatement. She has nothing. Less than nothing now, because she won't even have the potential for something. Too spoilerish?

I'm feeling the love from the spinoff in a major way. If you're reading this, thank you!

Icon by Court
Closed Thread   Post New Thread