Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Hippy Witch", as we learned from Brenda, was also a style back then, so ... connection? Funny how it went totally over my head at the time (I only know the song from watching the show so much), yet I remember "Word to The Mutha!" (Bel Biv Devoe) real well, which played only two episodes before. Same with "Joey" (Concrete Blonde) that same season. Seriously, I was just discovering pop music when this show came out.
Ooooh. Yeah, that was one of the few references to fashion on the show. The music on this show is kind of like a time capsule. I think I started discovering music around season 8. Everything before that is a bit fuzzy.

Thanks January. I'm going to do some major updating soon.

Icon Credit: Si_Crazy
Old 08-24-2008, 06:14 PM
Elite Fan

Season 8? For some reason, I thought you caught the show in its original run, starting in S3. How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

Check out these "Hippychick" song facts from songfacts.com:

In the song the female narrator is confronting her abusive policeman ex-lover. She tells him that he lives for controlling women, specifically her.

The song opens with a sample of the opening guitar riff from The Smiths' recording of "How Soon Is Now." It led to Morrissey and Johnny Marr of The Smiths suing Soho for sampling without permission and winning a 25% royalty on the song.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:20 PM
Master Fan

I did catch it in it's orig. run but I wasn't paying attention to music then.

Woa. That must be why SoHo only has one hit song!

Last edited by Ruby_Slippers; 08-24-2008 at 10:43 PM
Old 08-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Elite Fan

My first nominee for best.song.ever. on this show is: "All I Want Is Everything" by Jellyfish. It's the track that plays in the 'Welcome to WBH' montage in the beginning of the pilot. Right before the twins say they're gonna need a raise in their allowance.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:57 AM
Part-Time Fan

It's hard to remember a lot of the original music because I just finished watching Seasons 1-5 of the series on DVD with the darn music replaced! My vote for best song would be for "Losing My Religion" during the Brenda and Dylan breakup in the car.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:18 AM
Elite Fan

I actually saw the music video to that song and rocked out to it every day for weeks/months(?) before I heard it used on the show, so it actually never reminds me of them. A unique viewer experience, I guess. That's basically how it goes with me. If I heard it somewhere else first, prominently, it's not 90210. Also explains why every song from, like, S6-S10 I don't really associate with the show. Who cares if you played at the AfterDark?

Old 08-25-2008, 01:20 AM
Part-Time Fan

I am sure this was talked about somewhere before, but in Season 5 did all of Ray's live performances get taken out of the episodes? No original music and more stolen scenes.... Also, no special features for Season 5?? ARGHH!!
Old 08-25-2008, 01:31 AM
Extreme Fan

Hmm I'm not sure about Ray's music. I would think it stayed considering Jamie Walters' associations with the show but with music labels...

"Losing My Religion" is definitely most memorable song for me. I guess because I discovered this show before I got into R.E.M. as an amazing band in its own right. It's funny it never really prominently stood out to me in the break-up scene but definitely resonated later. Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game" however was front and center in the make-up scene in 'Wildfire' I guess it was playing more loudly.

Yeah, PPAD music doesn't stick with me as much. One big one though is The Flaming Lips. They've changed so much I had to go back and watch again. Donna Lewis because she was sort of tied in to the storyline with Tom from Buffalo. I wasn't a fan of the latest chart topper playing during opening credits during the last few seasons.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:41 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I wasn't a fan of the latest chart topper playing during opening credits during the last few seasons.
Oh god. That drove me NUTS. When did that start, S7? There were even a few instances where the tone of the song didn't mesh at all with that of the preview clip or the scene coming after the credits. And, because of what it meant to license the song , some opening credits just lasted forever. Like, how come you never showed us this much of Beverly Hills before? ... AfterDark scenes where we'd just watch other characters watching a concert for what seemed, in my mind, like 8 minute intermissions. See, it started with Jamie Walters and then the show took it upon itself to help launch everyone's music career.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:46 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
AfterDark scenes where we'd just watch other characters watching a concert for what seemed, in my mind, like 8 minute intermissions.
I read this and instantly a Noah Hunter *enjoys music* image in my mind. LOL.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Part-Time Fan

I loved the Steve head bob myself. That was the best. I saw one episode the other day and I swear the editor used the same Steve shot at least 3 times within a performance. So damn cute! Ian must have really liked it.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
and I swear the editor used the same Steve shot at least 3 times
That wouldn't surprise me. And, of course, cutting to a Valerie head bob had "relevance" because she helped manage the club. Noah and David, too. Dylan never enjoyed the band, hehe. I'm glad all these scenes will probably be cut from the DVD releases, but it will be embarrassing to have 35 min episodes, LOL.

Btw, my song suggestion earlier wasn't for 'most memorable' or anything, it's just an awesome song.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Part-Time Fan

I'll have to check that song out then!
Old 08-27-2008, 09:55 AM
Master Fan

Okay, so I updated season 1.

Couldn't find any music for the perfect mom, 17 year itch, and spring training.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow. So much songs in the OP.