Old 09-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Master Fan

B&S DVD Discussion

Season One is out now!

A list of extras:
Quote:
1. Bonus Episode: A Different View Of The Walkers
2. Walker Family Tree: The Story Behind The Making Of The Compelling New Series
3. Behind The Scenes With The Brothers -- Exclusive Set Tour With Stars Balthazar, Dave and Matthew
4. The Family Business -- Meet The Olins, The Real Family Behind The Success Of This All-New, Popular TV Family
5. Bloopers
6. Deleted Scenes
7. Audio Commentary
Brothers & Sisters DVD news: Extras for Brothers & Sisters - The Complete 1st Season | TVShowsOnDVD.com

Another list with some reviews:

Quote:
Brothers & Sisters: The Complete First Season comes with a decent array of extras. There are four audio commentaries, a deleted and unaired episode, a couple featurettes, and a bloopers reel. Here is the breakdown:

* Audio Commentary: There are four audio commentaries included for episodes "Affairs of State" with Jon Robin Baitz, Craig Wright, Patricia Wettig, and Matthew Rhys, "Northern Exposure" with Jon Robin Baitz, David Marshall Grant, and Molly Newman, "The Other Walker" with Alison Schapker, Monica Breen, Marc Guggenheim, David Annable, and Emily VanCamp, and "Matriarchy" with Ken Olin, Sarah Caplan, and Balthazar Getty.
* Creating the Walker Family Tree (29:01): is a featurette about the show. It stars Ken Olin, Jon Robin Baitz, Michael Morris, Greg Berlanti, Molly Newman, Sherri Cooper-Landsman, David Marshall Grant, Marc Guggenheim, Monica Breen, Alison Schapker, Cliff Olin, Peter Calloway, Matthew Rhys, Rob Lowe, Calista Flockhart, Sarah Caplan, Ron Rifkin, Suzanne Geiger, Sarah Jane Morris, Rachel Griffiths, Sally Field, Sparky Hawes, Patricia Wettig, John Pyper-Ferguson, Balthazar Getty, Dave Annable, Emily VanCamp, and Peter Coyote. The discussion focuses on the show's conception, writing, crew, directors, cast, and some additional thoughts.
* Behind the Scenes with the Brothers (6:14): is a behind the scenes featurette with Matthew Rhys, Dave Annable, and Balthazar Getty. It details the relationship the three have developed off- and on-stage. The featurette follows the three actors acting silly on stage, in make-up & wardrobe, the writing offices (with Jon Robin Baitz), the dressing room, and a couple other places. Unless you are really interested in seeing a playful side of Rhys, Annable, and Getty, there isn't much to it.
* Bloopers and Outtakes (2:29): is a series of goofs during filming. The problem is that the outtakes/bloopers are not very funny.
* The Deleted Episode: "State of the Parties" with introduction (42:50): This episode was created and intended to be the show's second episode. For reasons discussed in the episode introduction with Jon Robin Baitz, it was cut.
* The Family Business (4:35): is an interview featurette that includes Roxy Olin, Cliff Olin, Patricia Wettig, Ken Olin, Sparky Hawes, Rob Lowe, Balthazar Getty, and Greg Berlanti. The topic of discussion is about the irony that Brothers & Sisters is a show about family and how some of the show's core is the Olin family, who support the show as cast and crew.
DVD Talk Review: Brothers and Sisters - The Complete First Season

Everyone that's watched the extras, what did you think?
Old 09-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Master Fan

Thanks, Katie .

I watched the first disc yesterday. That's four episodes plus a commentary. Yeah, I had some spare time. Although that'll probably be it until the weekend.

First of all, I really think these earlier episodes benefit from a rewatching. Knowing what's going to happen, knowing exactly who these characters are and knowing that the business, political and melodramatic moments do lessen as the season goes on makes those moments stand out and makes these episodes more tolerable, while still noticing the flaws and seeing how much the show has improved.

For instance, I had really forgotten just how powerful the ending of the pilot is. I definitely didn't feel the way I did now the first time when watching William die. And the shift from first to second episode, the bump in improvement, is incredible. You've got the family, the chemistry, you get more Kevin, and more insight into the Walkers that really are the things I love about the show.

ANYWAY, the extras. I just watched the one commentary, for "Affairs of State" and it was pretty good. Not the best, although I have high standards for these things. I wish Jon Robin Baitz talked a bit more, and I definitely wish Matthew Rhys did too. Craig Wright was neat to hear from, and he's really good here. Patricia is talkative, in a good way and, also, kind of in a bad way in that I don't consider her as a major player on the show and I would rather hear from them, but she's fun and likable, not so much like Holly. Some great insight, some great jokes and you can see how much they all love the show. Can't wait to get to some of the other commentaries.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 09-19-2007, 09:15 PM
Elite Fan

All the special features were fantastic.

I loved seeing everyone just get along and have fun. You can tell they are all like a big family. Reminds me of the Alias behind the scenes. Which ironically, 2/3 of the crew are from Alias. And also, Patricia Wettig is married to Ken Olin, and Cliff Olin is there son. That's part of the "Family Business" feature. And then the Brothers set tour is hilarious! The Walker Family Tree is 30 minutes and it's incredibly informative and fun. The Bloopers were quite amusing, and man Sally likes to curse.

Right now I'm watching the unaired episode, which is really enjoyable. We might need to start a seperate ep discussion thread on it alone. And I have the bonus disc with the MT&R segment.

kenny | credit
Old 09-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Elite Fan

Aw they remind me a lot of the Alias family too. It's so nice to have so many of them on another show. Ken Olin's always been great in Alias extras.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Master Fan

Watch, er ah, listen to the commentary for "Northern Exposure". Highly recommended. Funny funny commentary, with a ton of insight. Non-stop talking.

I can't wait to get to the disc with all of the features, but so far I'm just enjoying these earlier episodes. Northern Exposure has to be one of the best of the season and I'm really gaining a new appreciation for all of the earlier episodes. This will definitely be like my Everwood DVD, which I treasure (well, as much as one can treasure a DVD) and watch constantly for years.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 09-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Elite Fan

Why do they refuse to release Everwood's remaining seasons on DVD? I don't care if they squeeze an entire season on one disc, I want it!

Back to B&S, I think I'll hit the commentaries tomorrow. And I loved that episode, too. I actually enjoyed alot of the earlier episodes, too.

One thing I don't like ... is putting Calista Flockhart's picture on the DVD side. I don't know ... I would've thought Sally Field would get that, I was a bit confused.

kenny | credit
Old 09-21-2007, 02:01 PM
Elite Fan

Ken, let us know what you think of the commetaries!

And yeah, sucks about Everywood. It's seriously time to release the rest.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Dedicated Fan

Yeah, I'm so about the Everwood DVDs. And it's just so frustrating when they seem to have no plans at all to ever release them and then you walk into a store and see all these crappy TV shows on DVD that you know not that many people could possibly be interested in buying. And it's really gotten to the point where it almost seems like they're just trying to make up excuses for not releasing it. Bad sales of season one, music rights. Etc. Etc.

I was kinda hoping that since Emily is becoming more well-known now that she's on a more widely watched show, that they may try to capitalize on that, but so far no luck. Heck, they could sell the DVDs in a paper bag for all I care. I just want 'em. But at least we don't have to worry about that with B&S.

Last edited by GreyEyes; 09-21-2007 at 10:12 PM
Old 09-22-2007, 06:51 AM
Elite Fan

I guess the music rights are holding it up... But I don't see why they don't simply change the music.

And yeah, at least B&S dvds are coming out.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDreamy (View Post)
But I don't see why they don't simply change the music.
My thoughts exactly. And frankly, I don't remember there being all that much music in Everwood. I mean, not nearly as much as some other shows have, like a lot of those teen dramas that use popular songs in like practically every scene. They'd only use a song every once and a while and rely more on orchestrated background music like the piano and stuff. At the most, maybe once an episode they'd use a song, most of the time at the end of the episode. Brothers & Sisters kinda does the same thing.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:21 AM
Elite Fan

Exactly. I don't see why it would be a problem. *sigh*
Old 09-30-2007, 06:08 AM
Fan Forum Star

They finally put some dvd stuff up on youtube!

YouTube - Brothers & Sisters - Behind the Scenes with the Brothers
I love this!

YouTube - Brothers & Sisters - Gag Reel

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]
Old 09-30-2007, 06:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I love those 2 extras esp. the one with the brothers, it's so funny

Thanks for posting, Karen
Old 09-30-2007, 06:36 AM
Elite Fan

OMG I LOOOOOVE THAT.

Thanks for posting it!
Old 09-30-2007, 06:42 AM
Fan Forum Star

no problem.. I stumbled upon it when searching for Sally Field on REgis and Kelly.. But it was a welcome surprise!

Matthew, Balthazar and Justin truly act like real brothers!! They seem like such a fun cast.

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]