Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 10:39 AM
Loyal Fan

Michael Copon #1: Because he just might be our Jacob Black in "New Moon"!

Michael Copon Appreciation Thread #1
Actor/Model/Singer

BIOGRAPHY

Michael Sowell Copon (born November 13, 1982) is an American actor, model and singer.
He is perhaps best known for his role of Felix Taggaro in the television series One Tree Hill and Lucas Kendall in Power Rangers: Time Force.

Copon was born in Chesapeake, Virginia to a Filipino-American father and a German-American mother. At the start of his early acting career, Copon was eventually cast by the Fox Kids Network as Blue Power Ranger, Lucas, on Power Rangers: Time Force after graduating.
During that same time, Copon was also working as a print model in Los Angeles. Copon was named one of People magazine’s “50 Hottest Bachelors” in 2005.

Copon was recognized for his recurring role as Felix in the show One Tree Hill. In 2006, he told Teen Vogue that he turned down a lucrative modeling job to audition for One Tree Hill. He has also had roles in the shows Scrubs, Reno 911!, That's So Raven, Even Stevens and appeared in the films All You've Got alongside Ciara, Elevator, and Sideliners.
He currently co-stars in The N original series Beyond the Break. He recently appeared in a lead role for the fourth installment of Bring It On: In It to Win It.

Michael is currently being considered as a replacement for Taylor Lautner's role of Jacob Black in the 2009 Twilight sequel, New Moon.

FILMOGRAPHY

A Forgotten Innocence (2010) (pre-production) .... Andrew
Thorns from a Rose (2009) (pre-production) .... Nolan Beckham
Burn Off (2009) (pre-production) .... Danko guard 1
The Pick Up (2008) (pre-production) (rumored) .... Brandon Williams
Night of the Demons (2009) (post-production) .... Dex
We Got the Beat (2009) (post-production) .... Brad

The Scorpion King 2: Rise of a Warrior (2008) (V) .... Mathayus
... aka Scorpion King - Aufstieg eines Kriegers (Germany)
"Greek" .... Shane (2 episodes, 2008)
- Barely Legal (2008) TV episode .... Shane
- Mr. Purr-fect (2008) TV episode .... Shane
Bring It On: In It to Win It (2007) (V) .... Penn
"Beyond the Break" .... Vin Keahi (16 episodes, 2006)
- One Good Ride (2006) TV episode .... Vin Keahi
- Out of Sync (2006) TV episode .... Vin Keahi
- Waving Goodbye (2006) TV episode .... Vin Keahi
- Running Scared (2006) TV episode .... Vin Keahi
- Beyond the Break (2006) TV episode .... Vin Keahi
(11 more)
Elevator (2006) .... Hot Guy at Party
All You've Got (2006) .... Artie Sanchez
... aka Rumble (USA: video title)
"That's So Raven" .... Ricky (2 episodes, 2005-2006)
... aka That's So Raven! (USA: promotional title)
- Be Prepared (2006) TV episode .... Ricky
- Boyz 'N Commotion (2005) TV episode .... Ricky
Sideliners (2006) (TV) .... Joey Ambrose
"Reno 911!" .... Kane (1 episode, 2005)
- Dangle's Son (2005) TV episode .... Kane
"One Tree Hill" .... Felix Taggaro (11 episodes, 2004-2005)
- Something I Can Never Have (2005) TV episode .... Felix Taggaro
- Unopened Letter to the World (2005) TV episode .... Felix Taggaro
- Between Order and Randomness (2005) TV episode .... Felix Taggaro
- The Heart Brings You Back (2005) TV episode .... Felix Taggaro
- Don't Take Me for Granted (2004) TV episode .... Felix Taggaro
(6 more)
"Scrubs" .... Pedro (1 episode, 2005)
- My Big Move (2005) TV episode .... Pedro
Dishdogz (2005) .... Palmer
"Even Stevens" .... Boy at Beach (1 episode, 2003)
- Surf's Up (2003) TV episode .... Boy at Beach
"CSI: Miami" .... Walter Leeson (1 episode)
- Head Case (????) TV episode .... Walter Leeson
"Power Rangers Wild Force" .... Blue Time Force Ranger / ... (2 episodes, 2002)
- Reinforcements from the Future: Part 2 (2002) TV episode .... Lucas Kendall / Blue Time Force Ranger
- Reinforcements from the Future: Part 1 (2002) TV episode .... Lucas Kendall / Blue Time Force Ranger
Power Rangers Time Force: Dawn of Destiny (2002) (V) .... Lucas Kendall / Blue Time Force Ranger
Power Rangers Time Force: The End of Time (2002) (V) .... Lucas Kendall / Blue Time Force Ranger
"Power Rangers Time Force" .... Blue Time Force Ranger / ... (40 episodes, 2001)
- The End of Time: Part 3 (2001) TV episode .... Lucas Kendall / Blue Time Force Ranger
- The End of Time: Part 2 (2001) TV episode .... Lucas Kendall / Blue Time Force Ranger
- The End of Time: Part 1 (2001) TV episode .... Lucas Kendall / Blue Time Force Ranger
- A Calm Before the Storm (2001) TV episode .... Blue Time Force Ranger / Lucas Kendall
- Circuit Unsure (2001) TV episode .... Lucas Kendal / Blue Time Force Ranger
(35 more)
Power Rangers Time Force - Quantum Ranger: Clash for Control (2001) (V) .... Lucas Kendall / Blue Time Force Ranger
Power Rangers Time Force: Photo Finish (2001) (V) .... Lucas Kendall / Blue Time Force Ranger
Power Rangers Time Force (2001) (VG) (voice) .... Blue Ranger

Producer:
Burn Off (2009) (pre-production) (producer)
The Pick Up (2008) (pre-production) (producer)

Self:
"But Can They Sing?" (2005) TV series .... Himself - Contestant
"Room Raiders" .... Himself - Raider (1 episode, 2005)
- Jordee/Michael Copon (2005) TV episode .... Himself - Raider
"L.A. Models" (2000) TV series .... Himself

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I figured that Mr. Copon here needs his own thread since he might be our next Jacob Black in New Moon. J-14 interviewed Copon exclusively about the possibility of him starring as Jake in the next movie.

Quote:
Will he or won't he be the next Jacob Black in the Twilight sequel, New Moon? J-14 snags an exclusive interview with Michael Copon to get the scoop on whether he'll be taking over for Taylor Lautner.

J-14: Everyone's putting you up against Taylor Lautner - why do you think you should be Jacob?
Michael: I have nothing against Taylor personally. I think he's great and tremendous at what he does. But it's just adjusting to the fact that Jacob has to grow. It's a matter of going with the storyline. It goes with the territory. I see so much in Jacob Black that I feel like wasn't brought to the first film that if I had the opportunity, I would totally create an amazing character. He's more than just a guy who walks around and smiles and likes Bella. It's just too one-sided. It's two colors and I feel like Jacob is full of a hundred colors.

J-14: What else would you bring to this film?
Michael: Of course, I would be honored and ecstatic to play the role if Summit chose me because I think with the experience I got from Scorpion King 2, I Iearned how to carry a film from start to finish. Plus, it was a very similar role - Heroic warrior who had passion for someone. It's a similar story in a different realm with werewolves. I would be fun to play this dark yet romantic story. And people are starting to take into consideration that I look exactly like Taylor. If you look at some pictures of us, you will be confused. Not to mention the other day, I ran into someone who knows both of us and said, "Hi Taylor." I was like, "No, I'm Michael."

J-14: Taylor's been bulking up to try to get the role. Have you been preparing in any way?
Michael: If anything, I feel like I need to bulk down. Right now I'm close to 200 pounds of muscle. Taylor's probably what, 140, if he's lucky? I'm already 200 pounds, so there's no need for me to get any bigger. Plus he's 5'6" and I'm 6'2". In the book, he grows eight inches and I'm exactly eight inches taller than Taylor. Huge difference.

J-14: Jacob is an American Indian character and Taylor has some American Indian blood in him, what is your background?
Michael: Growing up on the East Coast, I have some American Indian on my mom's side. Virginia is where Last of the Mohicans took place. All the people out there have Indian blood mixed in from years and years ago. If you look at my mom, she's super tan with blonde hair.

J-14: Is what we're reading in the blogs an accurate account of what is going on behind the scenes of you getting this role?
Michael: There's no auditioning going on, it's a lot of talking. My representation has been talking to Summit and they're hearing that I'm one of the first picks. I got offered CSI: Miami recently without auditioning, so a lot of great things are coming without auditions. But I wouldn't mind going in and showing them what I've got. At the same time, it would be really great if they saw my work and trusted me. It would make me feel like they look at me more as a team player.

J-14: How familiar are you with Stephenie Meyer's Twilight books?
Michael: I've read the first one and I've dabbled through the Cliffs Notes of the second and third ones. I haven't had time to actually sit down and read the whole book, but I kind of know what happens.

J-14: If you get this role, people will no doubt compare you to Rob Pattinson. Are you ready for Team Mike verses Team Rob?
Michael: (Laughs) I've seen Rob out here and there and we've hung out and had great conversations. Funny enough, before I knew who he was, I said, "I'd be excited to play a part in Twilight 2" and he said, "Oh yeah, I'm in the first one." I was like, "Who do you play?" He's like, "Edward." I felt so bad! But if there is Team Mike verses Team Rob, I think it's only for the better of the film. Friendly competition!
In my mind, he does appear to be a considerable Jacob. He's bulky and tall enough to take on that role, and he's got decent acting skills. He could portray Jake just as tremendously as Taylor Lautner did.
His answers in that interview are very appropiate and clever: he seems like a smart guy, so why won't we give him a chance? I've seen a lot of negative stuff hovering around all over the Internet. People are all over Copon, bashing him, calling him rude nicknames, etc. That is NOT acceptable.
Personally, he would not be my first choice as Jacob either (it would be Taylor or Steven Strait), but come to think of it, he's not a bad rival at all.
I do admit, Copon does have a slight Jacob-y touch to himself, but his heritage is the most troubling part. As he mentions in the interview, Native American blood runs in his family from his mother's side, but he does appear to be more East Coast than anything else. I am not referring that his origins would be an issue regarding the movie, but it would be to a lot of fans. Nevertheless, I would give him an opportunity to prove himself and show people of what he's made of.

Last edited by notthatfarapart; 12-31-2008 at 11:07 AM
notthatfarapart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:50 PM
Moderator Support Team

Thanks for the thread. I loved Michael on the TV show Beyond the Break.

As for Jacob................well I think alot of people feel a loyalty to Taylor continuing in the role. He definitely wasn't most people's choice for Jacob but since he was chosen for the role alot of people feel it's only right that he be in the sequels as well. Who knows what will happen. I agree about it not being fair to bash Michael. He is seizing a possible opportunity and no one can blame him for that.

I think Taylor and Michael have a bit of a resemblance actually.
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:00 AM
Loyal Fan

I would support Taylor to continue as well now that I've gotten used to him, but I see nothing wrong with Michael being our possible candinate for Jacob. I know Taylor's been bulking up for the role, putting on some weight, but is it enough?
It is a matter of importancy that Jacob grows physically, because it is an essential part of the plot.

I agree; Taylor and Michael look a bit like each other, so the replacement would not be completeley confusing.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Elite Fan

I remember him as Felix from OTH. Thanks for the thread!
Old 01-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKSTAR (View Post)
I remember him as Felix from OTH.
Yeah, many people can recognise him from his role of Felix. Michael did a terrific job on the show!

Oh, and here's a little Michael/Taylor comparison.

Let's face it. They both are tremendously good-looking, but the better thing is, that they actually look like each other. If TL gets replaced by MC, there is hardly any confusion: Michael could easily take on the role of the Jacob going through a growth-spurt. Not to mention, he is as cute as a button.
I love Taylor's features as well. He is boyish and the perfect Twilight-aged Jake, but I am not sure if he can get buff enough for New Moon. I know he's been bulking up like crazy, and I do appreciate his effort as many other fans do, but somehow I've grown to adore Michael and I'm hoping he's going to get the role.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Moderator Support Team

I agree with you. If they're going to replace Taylor I think michael is a good choice because of the resemblance.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Loyal Fan

Yes, he would make a potential choice for Jake because he and Taylor look alike.

There is just one thing that I find disturbing in Michael: Neither Summit Entertainment or the new director of New Moon have not confirmed Taylor leaving or staying in the role, and neither they've confirmed Michael's involvement with the production, but Copon has been spreading a lot of rumors that he's been already chosen as Jacob. I guess he's just playing it tough and trying to boost things up, but he's gonna get it bad if it turns out Taylor is staying and he won't get the role after all...
Old 01-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Part-Time Fan

Copon has been spreading around rumors that it's confirmed that he is playing Jacob, when neither Chris or Summit Entertainment have approved. Yeah he has a nice body, but Taylor has a few weeks to buff up!

I think they're both good-looking, but not when you actually compare them...then Taylor totally wins
Old 01-04-2009, 05:16 AM
Loyal Fan

Yeah, I've heard that too. He's been running around telling everyone he's already been chosen as Jacob when there is actually no confirmation from Summit or New Moon's director whether Taylor is staying on the role or is he really leaving.

But only time will tell. They have to decide the role of Jacob soon though, so the production and filming can finally start. Some other roles are still in negotations, too.

I wonder who are going to get the roles of the other werewolves. Paul, Jared etc. I think Matt Cohen would make a great Paul... I have no idea who should play Jared. And if they're making a movie out of Eclipse, they need to cast Seth Clearwater and Quil Ateara.

And if Copon won't get the role of Jacob, he could easily play some other part in New Moon.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Part-Time Fan

Exactly.

The movie will start in approximately 10 weeks. So they do need to choose a Jacob, and fast. And other people. I am excited to see Seth, I love him!

I don't get why Sam was with Jacob in the Twilight Movie...Jacob doesn't even like Sam until halfway thru the second one! I thought it was Quil and Embry, but one of them was Sam. oh well.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Moderator Support Team

Yeah, that was strange.

I don't know what's going on, but I hope we hear something definite soon.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:35 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveisintheAir (View Post)
I don't get why Sam was with Jacob in the Twilight Movie...Jacob doesn't even like Sam until halfway thru the second one! I thought it was Quil and Embry, but one of them was Sam. oh well.
I didn't really understand that, either. Jacob and Embry shouldn't have had hung out with Sam; but maybe they just needed a way to somehow fit that whole "The Cullens are not allowed to come here" -thing.

I'm looking forward to see who they'll cast as Quil.
Knowing that my heart will break, but at least the pain will last.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:00 AM
Loyal Fan

According to the source I found on New Moon Movie: The Sequel to Twilight, Michael Copon is indeed going to be casted as older Jacob Black.

Copon himself states it pretty clearly on his Facebook (yes, it is his, it's not a fake: that was also confirmed on the New Moon website) page, but I am not sure whether there is any trusting to this information since it's already been quite obvious that he himself helps spreading out rumors that he's been selected as Jacob in New Moon.

However,

Quote:
Rumors are swirling that Michael Copon, most noted for his work in One Tree Hill, is the new Jacob Black. According to his seemingly official Facebook page, his status update is “Michael is the older Jacob Black”. Now, this could easily be doctored, but I think it might just be true. He would be a good fit–he really does look like a bigger, older Taylor Lautner. Copon is 6′1″ and 26 years old, Lautner is 5′6″ and 16 years old. You do the math.
And here is definitely a video worth watching, the casting speculations between Michael Copon, Steven Strait and Taylor Lautner: The three Jacobs.

Although I support Taylor to continue on the role, if Summit Entertainment honestly feels the need to find a different Jacob, I would go for Steven Strait. He's been my Jacob all along, long before Taylor was in the picture. About 95% of Twilighters envision him as Jake next to Taylor.

But seeing Copon being a potential candidate, I see nothing wrong in him. I am on the same wave-lenght with Copon's ideals of what Jacob should look like and the fact that Jacob needs to grow. I also regocnise the fact that Taylor Lautner has been hitting the gym five times a week, and has been bulking up like crazy, but unfortunately the fans are not the ones to decide will Taylor leave or continue in the role.
Summit Entertainment and the director of New Moon should, however, pay attention to the fans. It is more likely, that if Copon gets chosen, they will lose a notable amount of fans. Which brings us back to the "Copon Hate" topic: he would not be my first choice for recasting Jacob, but I do not understand why people appear to hate him so much for trying to grab a hold of an opportunity like this. The behaviour of some fans is completeley unacceptable and ignominious. I am fairly sure that Michael has procuded a lot of this hate upon himself by his own actions (for spreading rumors and somewhat bashing Taylor), but I also believe that he does not need this load of bull from various people simply hating him because he's trying to get probably the biggest movie role of an important character in his entire life.
Personally, I do appreciate Michael's efforts, even though I disagree with him at some points. He is keeping up the competition despite the hate he is receiving, and I think that is very admirable.
He would suit as Jacob perfectly, if only he'd be given the chance to do so. He's fit enough, he's got it alright in the looks department (and the matter that he and Taylor actually look alike), and I am sure he can portray Jacob in the way the character needs to be played.

Last edited by notthatfarapart; 01-06-2009 at 05:48 AM
Old 01-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Moderator Support Team

It's official now that Taylor will remain as Jacob. Good for him. Though it's too bad for Michael.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:50 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma (View Post)
It's official now that Taylor will remain as Jacob. Good for him. Though it's too bad for Michael.
Congratulations to Taylor!

I am very happy about this news. Of course, obviously, this is bad news for Michael. But I'm sure he'll recover.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top