Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2005, 03:29 PM
Extreme Fan

M. Night Shyamalan - Because directors are celebrities too #1

I am usually into movies or actors, I never thought I'd ever be into a director... Until I was The Village, The Sixth Sense, Signs, and Unbreakable and realized their genius was all concieved by the same mind.

Bio (from mnight.com):
A director who struck gold with the 1999 blockbuster The Sixth Sense, M. Night Shyamalan came out of almost nowhere to become one of the year's greatest sensations. The second biggest money maker of the year (the first being Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace), The Sixth Sense also proved to be a critical favorite, earning a slew of Oscar nominations that included Best Director and Best Picture.

Born in Madras, India, on August 6, 1970, Shyamalan was raised in the posh Philadelphia suburb of Penn Valley. The son of doctors, he developed a passion for filmmaking when he was given a Super-8 camera at the age of eight. By the time he was 17, Shyamalan -- who idolized Steven Spielberg -- had made 45 home movies, and after receiving a Catholic school education, he studied filmmaking at the Tisch School of the Arts. He graduated in 1992, and that same year he made his first feature film, Praying with Anger, which was based to some extent on his trip back to the country of his birth.

Shyamalan's first major theatrical effort was Wide Awake (1998), a film he partially shot in the Catholic school he had attended, as well as Bryn Mawr College. The story of a young Catholic school student attempting to cope with the death of his grandfather (Robert Loggia), the film -- which also starred Rosie O'Donnell, Dana Delany, and Denis Leary -- quickly plummeted into box office oblivion.

Shyamalan had considerably better luck with his next project, 1999's The Sixth Sense. A supernatural thriller about a young boy (Oscar-nominated Haley Joel Osment) who is able to communicate with the spirits of dead people, it was a sleeper hit and gave its director his unequivocal career breakthrough. Graced with an understated cast of performers and a twist ending, the film garnered incredible word-of-mouth among audiences and became the must-see film of the late summer, well into the fall. The Academy in turn showered the film with seven Oscar nominations, including nods for Shyamalan's script and direction. He enjoyed further success that same year as the screenwriter for Stuart Little, earning praise for his smart, funny script.

Following the success of The Sixth Sense, Shyamalan -- who continued to reside in the Philadelphia suburbs with his wife and daughter -- directed another supernatural thriller, Unbreakable. Starring Bruce Willis (who had also starred in The Sixth Sense) as a man who undergoes mysterious changes following a train accident, the mannered, pensive thriller was released in 2000 to mixed critical reviews and a healthy -- if brief -- box-office run. A curiously low-key film considering it's comic book roots, Unbreakable retained much of The Sixth Sense's sharp direction, though it's lukewarm reception found the director hesitant to expand the film into a trilogy as originally planned. Approached by producer Frank Marshall to pen the fourth chapter in the further adventures of Indiana Jones, Shyamalan gracefully turned down the offer citing his reluctance to enter a collaborative effort with Steven Spielberg, George Lucas and Harrison Ford, later rejecting yet another offer to direct the third Harry Potter film shortly thereafter.

Deciding instead on a begin work on an entirely new project, Shyamalan penned a screenplay concerning a rural family who discover crop circles (Signs) on their farm, selling it to Disney in April of 2001. Though the role of the family patriarch was originally intended for an older actor, Shyamalan made a few minor alterations when Mel Gibson expressed interest in starring in the film, with You Can Count on Me star Mark Ruffalo cast as his brother. Another unforeseen casting change beset the production when Ruffalo pulled out of the film due to health problems, and Joaquin Phoenix stepped in to assume the role with production moving along as planned following the brief delay.

-------------

Any other fans?
Bunny #69
http://sctransresources.org

Last edited by Niffler; 05-29-2005 at 03:36 PM
Niffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Extreme Fan

Wow... Not one?
Bunny #69
Old 06-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Extreme Fan

OK, so this is my last pathetic attempt at trying to ressurect this thread. LOL. I will give up now, I promise.
Bunny #69
Old 07-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Moderator Support Team

Wow, this thread never took off.

I guess people are pretty divided on him. I'm a fan though.

From Zap2it
Quote:
MRC, Shyamalan Working On Their Night Movies
M. Night Shyamalan will produce three thrillers under the Night Chronicles banner
July 22, 2008

MRC, already facing the challenge of resurrecting The CW's Sunday night lineup, is now tackling M. Night Shyamalan's career.

According to Variety, the "Sixth Sense" filmmaker and Media Rights Capital are forming Night Chronicles, a financing/production partnership that hopes to generate three theatrical thrillers in a three-year period.

The trade paper says that Shyamalan won't write or direct the films, but he'll generate the basic ideas, recruit the screenwriters and directors and produce the films. MRC will finance and co-own the copyright along with Shyamalan.

In the early years of his career, Shyamalan frequently discussed a desire to get into at least partially self-financing his films in order to take an ownership stake in his brand. On the director's recent "The Happening," he worked a deal with India's UTV to gain a 25 percent ownership in the negative.

Although it became Shyamalan's third straight film to take a critical beating -- following "Lady in the Water" and "The Village" -- and suffered massive week-to-week drops in box office, "The Happening" still produced a $30 million opening, displaying the potency of the director's name on a movie poster. Made on a relatively low budget -- Variety says $50 million, while most publications reported just over $60 million -- "The Happening" will still end up taking in more than $150 million worldwide.

"Filmmakers have always been my inspiration," Shyamalan says in a statement to the trade. "Working with the next wave of innovative filmmakers will teach me many things that I can bring to my own writing/directing and give my stories the opportunity to be brought to the screen in a stunning way."

Up next for Shyamalan is a live-action adaptation of "The Last Airbender."

MRC is currently working on a number of film projects including Robert Rodriguez's "Shorts" and Ricky Gervais' "The Other Side of the Truth."
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Elite Fan

I love M Night!

Thanks for the bump, Mel. I think this sounds like a cool idea. He has a creative mind so it's going to be interesting to see what another person does with his ideas.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Moderator Support Team

You're welcome.

It will definitely be interesting to see how it turns out.
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:11 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top