Old 08-29-2008, 02:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

BSG 2x06 & 2x07 - "Home, Part 1 & 2" Episode Re-Discussion

2x06 - Home Part 1
written by David Eick
directed by Sergio Mimica-Gezzan

Episode Description -
Quote:
Following the lead of President Roslin and Tom Zarek, more than one-third of the fleet has split from the Galactica and jumped into orbit around Kobol. Tensions arise within the rebel ranks on the Astral Queen as Zarek and his security chief, Meier, face off with Lee Adama.

Those tensions increase when Kara and Helo return from Caprica with Sharon, who is now pregnant and a dead ringer for the Cylon who tried to assassinate Commander Adama. Roslin orders Sharon put to death, but after meeting with her, she learns that the Cylon might be their best hope for finding the Tomb of Athena and the route to Earth.

Doubt nags at Roslin, however: Is Sharon motivated by love for Helo, or by a desire to betray her captors? Regardless, she's a key player in Roslin's team as it lands on Kobol. With Zarek and Meier plotting fresh treacheries, the prophecies continue to unfold in bloody fashion.

On the Galactica, Adama and Col. Tigh weigh their losses and rebuild the air group's chain of command, which has been plunged into disarray by the defections of Lee and Kara. Adama selects Lt. George "Catman" Birch to replace Lee as CAG (Commander, Air Group).

Birch's first day on the job begins with a harrowing mishap during a Viper-pilot training exercise, then he turns a routine refueling operation into a near-disaster.

Following an uncomfortable meeting with Dualla, Adama is forced to admit that there is no substitute for the people the fleet has lost. He orders a Raptor be prepped to take him and a small team back to Kobol, so that he can find Roslin and Lee and put the fleet back together.
Source

2x06 - Home Part 2
written by David Eick & Ronald D. Moore
directed by Jeff Woolnough

Episode Description -
Quote:
Following a firefight with Cylon Centurions and the death of her spiritual advisor Elosha, President Laura Roslin treks onward with her confederates in search of the Tomb of Athena. Heavy rain and Kobol's rugged terrain make the journey difficult for all except the tireless Sharon.

Tom Zarek again butts heads with Lee Adama, inspiring Zarek's henchman Meier to consider drastic measures that will clear the path to power for his old friend.

Meanwhile, aboard the Galactica, Gaius Baltar questions his sanity as Number Six toys with him, and Commander Adama mounts a rescue mission to Kobol.

Adama enlists presidential aide Billy Keikeya to join his quest for peace with the rebels. After discovering Elosha's grave on Kobol, the Galactica landing party continues its search and finally intercepts Roslin and her group. Putting aside old conflicts, Adama opens the door to peaceful reconciliation for all.

Meier, however, sees the détente between Adama and Roslin as a renewed threat to the rightful power of Tom Zarek, and he conspires with Sharon to murder Adama, Lee and the president.

Finding the ransacked tomb, the unified team struggles to unlock its secrets with the Arrow of Apollo. Before they can do so, however, Meier and Sharon spring their ambush, leaving everyone's fates uncertain as the triggers are pulled.
Source
Old 08-29-2008, 02:37 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for starting this, Andie

I think I'll re-watch the episodes to refresh my memory on all the details, but I'll already say that these are two of my favorite episodes from season 2
Old 08-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

You're welcome Nad

With Szilvia just watching these episode for the first time, I thought it would be a good start to get into episode re-discussions again

I'll have to watch both episodes again before I comment. It's been awhile since I've seen them
Old 08-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Okay, some random thoughts after re-watching these two episodes:
  • Laura:
    You gotta admire her determination, she's set on going to Kobol and nothing is going to stop her, even if she has to go alone and even if it's the last thing she does. Her weak health was pretty obvious during their march to the Tomb of Athena, and yet she didn't want to make extra stops respectively slow them down.

I thought her speech about what she's going to do and how the others could go back to join the fleet if they wanted to, was very well done.

I'm not going to judge the things she does to reach her goal, but her threads to air lock people get you thinking.

The moment when Billy arrives at the camp was very touching.
  • Bill:
    Tigh's comment about how there's no second Apollo in the fleet definitely got to him. On top of that and everything else going on, his newly appointed CAG isn't doing well at all.

His talk with Dee is always great to watch, I love how he finally decided to do something and wants to reunite the fleet

Bill talking to Billy about Laura's comment was a nice touch as well.

Reuniting with his family - Lee & Kara - both great scenes. And yes, Kara isn't really family, but he definitely thinks of her as a daughter if you ask me.
  • Bill/Laura:
    First off, him admitting he's the only one who's able to reach out to her is a great first step. The fleet can only find Earth when it is united, they can't effort to lose more people than they already have and have to combine forces to reach their common goals.

Then the moment when he arrives at the camp and they have their little talk. When he's telling her, he forgives her and she tells him she didn't ask for his forgiveness, but she gets it anyway.

Finally, when they're in the tomb, looking at the star constellations and realize that they now have some kind of map to earth makes another wonderful scene.
  • Lee:
    Still doing the military advisor job - during the meeting at the beginning, I was wondering if some of the people really thought they'd even stand a chance if they chose to fight Galactica.

I'm sure it doesn't need any further mention that he was glad to see both Kara and his dad again. Given their strained relationship over the past few episodes, it was a important gesture from Bill when he told him to put down his weapon and went on to hug him at the camp.
  • Sharon:
    First Lee wants to shoot her, because he believes she shot his dad. Then Laura threatens her and isn't willing to trust her. Next thing she knows Zarek tries to lure her into his own plans of getting rid of Lee and later Bill. Next comes Bill Adama and her motivations are once again questioned. Last but not least, she shoots Meier and proves she is not Boomer, has her own will and chooses to help the humans.
  • Helo:
    Not much to do for him, besides watching out for Sharon and doing surveillance. His little standoff with Lee at the beginning episode was very intense though

His "are you a dictionary now" comment to Sharon cracked me up though
  • Lee/Kara:
    They kinda go to the motions in this episode - but when do they not

First, the 'welcome back kiss' - I never thought I'd see Lee do that. Of course she's his friend and he missed her, but such a public display of affection threw me off a bit, and Kara looked pretty surprised too, I doubt she did mind it though

Their scene at the locker (?) room, Lee telling her he's there for her when she needs to talk and his little "I love you" in between, wonderful scene. I think that little exchange, no take backs and all, is a pretty good definition of their relationship. They obviously care deeply about each other, but neither is willing to admit there's more going on.

The little exchange in the brig, after Lee talks to Sharon. Sometimes I wish he'd have asked her straight away, what happened on Caprica. Kara being supportive of Sharon and telling him he doesn't have a clue what went on there, should have set all the warning bells off. Most of the time when Kara reacts so defensive there's more than what meets the eye.

Their talk at the camp - I thought it was interesting that Kara told Lee it doesn't matter to Helo that Sharon is a cylon because he loves her (I made a connection to something Lee said in "He that believeth in Me" - for those of you who have already seen season 4, follow me and tell me what you think).

I hope that wasn't too long winded
Old 08-31-2008, 07:22 AM
Loyal Fan

Recently I started re-watching BSG starting with the mini. This is the 4th time and I am noticing things I paid much attention to before. Yesterday I watched these episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by globe2912 (View Post)
Okay, some random thoughts after re-watching these two episodes:

Laura:
You gotta admire her determination,...

I'm not going to judge the things she does to reach her goal, but her threads to air lock people get you thinking.
The first time I watched BSG Laura was one of my favorite characters (second only to Kara). But this is the point where my admiration turned to distrust and dislike. If she had only not lied. If she had been up-front from the beginning about intending to airlock Sharon then I could still hang onto some respect for her.

There have been clues along the way. When she lied to Leoben about air-locking him. When she dumped Wally Grey as her vice-presidential candidate after pressuring him to run. Laura had already started showing that she has no problem using people to her own advantage. She used Baltar against Zarek. She used Billy's relationship with Dee to get info about Adama. She used Lee against his father. She used Kara against Adama. For me, lying about air-locking Sharon was the last straw.

I have mellowed some towards Roslin, since this time watching through I was able to admire her again, to some extent, even knowing her faults.
Quote:
Bill:
His talk with Dee is always great to watch, I love how he finally decided to do something and wants to reunite the fleet

Bill talking to Billy about Laura's comment was a nice touch as well.

Reuniting with his family - Lee & Kara - both great scenes. And yes, Kara isn't really family, but he definitely thinks of her as a daughter if you ask me.
I think Bill really wanted a daughter. Throughout the whole series he confides in and is close to Kara, Dee, and Sharon. And I definitely think Kara's relationship with Bill and Lee is one of family. There is even a sibling rivalry between Kara and Lee for Bill's attention and approval.
Quote:
Bill/Laura:
First off, him admitting he's the only one who's able to reach out to her is a great first step. The fleet can only find Earth when it is united, they can't effort to lose more people than they already have and have to combine forces to reach their common goals.

Then the moment when he arrives at the camp and they have their little talk. When he's telling her, he forgives her and she tells him she didn't ask for his forgiveness, but she gets it anyway.
Yes I really like that Adama was willing to make the first move to get the fleet back together and that Laura didn't think she had done anything that needed his forgiveness.
Quote:
Lee:
Still doing the military advisor job - during the meeting at the beginning, I was wondering if some of the people really thought they'd even stand a chance if they chose to fight Galactica.
I think Lee could have been less bratty and more diplomatic in his dealings with Meier.
Quote:
Sharon:
... Last but not least, she shoots Meier and proves she is not Boomer, has her own will and chooses to help the humans.
Really liked Sharon and Grace's acting in these episode. First time I watched I almost thought Sharon might have gone along with Meier because of the way she had been treated by everyone back in the fleet. Loved her greeting of Chief, acknowledging that even though she was a different Sharon she did have fond memories of him. Aaron played that very well.
Quote:
Helo:
Not much to do for him, besides watching out for Sharon and doing surveillance. His little standoff with Lee at the beginning episode was very intense though

His "are you a dictionary now" comment to Sharon cracked me up though
Yes very intense scene. Like how Helo's and Sharon's relationship was portrayed in these episodes.
Quote:
Lee/Kara:
First, the 'welcome back kiss' - I never thought I'd see Lee do that. Of course she's his friend and he missed her, but such a public display of affection threw me off a bit, and Kara looked pretty surprised too, I doubt she did mind it though

Their scene at the locker (?) room, Lee telling her he's there for her when she needs to talk and his little "I love you" in between, wonderful scene. I think that little exchange, no take backs and all, is a pretty good definition of their relationship. They obviously care deeply about each other, but neither is willing to admit there's more going on.
I thought it was clear in these episodes that Kara was thinking about Sam and going back to rescue him. I think she has very strong ties with Lee. It's obvious that they knew each other when she and Zak were together, so they've known each other a long time. Plus they have the family thing going on between them with Adama. There was some attraction between them previously,
Spoiler:
, but in the locker room scene it seemed more like school kids interacting rather than adults with strong feelings for each other (and I do agree that this is a good definition of their relationship).

Last edited by =-Kathy->; 08-31-2008 at 08:40 AM
Old 08-31-2008, 09:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Andie, thank you for starting this separate thread.

Commenting here on 'Home, Part 1'...

Regarding one of the priest's statements, I'm just wondering, why is it that with any return to Kobol, there is a cost in blood?
I think I must've missed something big, since I feel like the answer should be clear.
Does it have something to do with what happened to make the 'ancient times' people leave Kobol? It's probably written in the scriptures...

Anyway, the early scene where Kara boards the Astral Queen...
I can't believe Lee kissed her like that! That totally shocked me.
The exchange right after Sharon enters the room was amazing!!
Lee drawing his weapon, then Helo pointing his at Lee - woah, intense!!
First Roslin assures Helo that Sharon will be put into a holding cell, only to say, "Put that thing out the airlock"!!
That comment blew me away, I wasn't expecting that at all.
I'm glad that Roslin trusted Sharon, in the end. She realized that Sharon would be key in finding the tomb.
It was nice to finally see the Arrow of Apollo be handed over from Starbuck to Roslin.

Choosing Birch as the new CAG was one awful decision by Adama!
I guess he didn't realize, or didn't want to realize, that Birch was a poor choice as CAG.
Those two near-disasters in space were painful to watch.
Adama's talk with Dee was fascinating. Dee really stepped up and said some things that Adama needed to hear.

The press conference was interesting. It started out about the divided fleet, and ended on a note where people were questioning the existence of Earth!

So Baltar will be spared the fate of mankind, so says Six.
And with her telling him that "they are the masters of self-destruction," she seems to allude to a more inward-looking battle to come (as opposed to a human/Cylon one). Just a thought...

Roslin threatens to send Helo out the airlock if Sharon doesn't produce a map to the Tomb of Athena...quite the motivator for Sharon, since I believe she truly does love Helo.
Not sure if Roslin would've actually done that, but I'm glad we didn't have to find out!

It was nice to see Helo continuing to care so much about Sharon's well-being, visiting her while she's in her cell.
Lee, on the other hand, had a different opinion about her...good thing Kara came by in time!
The Lee/Kara scene while Kara was bouncing the pyramid ball was fantastic.
I agree, she must've been thinking about Sam back on Caprica, making her seem unlike her usual self to Lee.
It was fun to see Lee try and have fun with Kara, but her reaction obviously meant that she didn't want to talk.
And then Lee let it slip that he loves her...which finally gave Kara a smile.

Meier was bad news, plotting to kill Lee on Kobol...Zarek didn't seem too keen on it, but went along with it anyway.
It was ironic that Lee gave Meier a gun on Kobol.
Too bad the priest had to die while helping them get to the tomb, but now that Sharon was with them, she could do the rest of the guide work.
Loved Lee's reaction when Sharon shot that last Cylon!

icon: Spike it up
Old 09-01-2008, 05:36 AM
Elite Fan

I personally loved Home Part 2. I remember the first time I saw it and how blown away I was when they arrived on Earth. I love that scene. The looks on their faces when they realize where they are.

I'm a Roslin fan so I loved her leading the pack so to speak. I also loved it when Sharon turned the tables on them and then used that as a chance to show Adama who she was faithful to. That was an awesome scene and starts the Adama/Sharon relationship.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:37 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I'm watching these tonight, if I'm not tired
Old 09-01-2008, 05:50 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by =-Kathy-> (View Post)
The first time I watched BSG Laura was one of my favorite characters (second only to Kara). But this is the point where my admiration turned to distrust and dislike. If she had only not lied. If she had been up-front from the beginning about intending to airlock Sharon then I could still hang onto some respect for her.

There have been clues along the way. When she lied to Leoben about air-locking him. When she dumped Wally Grey as her vice-presidential candidate after pressuring him to run. Laura had already started showing that she has no problem using people to her own advantage. She used Baltar against Zarek. She used Billy's relationship with Dee to get info about Adama. She used Lee against his father. She used Kara against Adama. For me, lying about air-locking Sharon was the last straw.
I know what you mean and I pretty much felt the same when I first watched the show. She used every trick in the book to get what she wanted. Looking back, I also understand why she did it, she was desperate about finding a way to Earth and since her health is giving out on her, her time is limited, so she needs to get going. I'm not going to defend what she did, but I understand that, sometimes you have to take desperate measures to get what you want and given the situation they are in, there's not much choice.

Quote:
And I definitely think Kara's relationship with Bill and Lee is one of family. There is even a sibling rivalry between Kara and Lee for Bill's attention and approval.
Yep, there are several moments where you can tell she's much more than just a pilot to him - like in 'You can't go home'
Spoiler:

Quote:
Really liked Sharon and Grace's acting in these episode. First time I watched I almost thought Sharon might have gone along with Meier because of the way she had been treated by everyone back in the fleet. Loved her greeting of Chief, acknowledging that even though she was a different Sharon she did have fond memories of him. Aaron played that very well.
Agreed, another intense scene was when she went to get that huge gun and Lee thought she was about to kill him. Grace really did a wonderful job. The same goes for Aaron, it must be very difficult for the Chief and he portrayed that very well.

Quote:
I thought it was clear in these episodes that Kara was thinking about Sam and going back to rescue him. I think she has very strong ties with Lee. It's obvious that they knew each other when she and Zak were together, so they've known each other a long time. Plus they have the family thing going on between them with Adama. There was some attraction between them previously,
Spoiler:
, but in the locker room scene it seemed more like school kids interacting rather than adults with strong feelings for each other (and I do agree that this is a good definition of their relationship).
Yep, the locker room scene had a very playful touch, I always credited that to the tense situation, a bit of an aftermath of Kara's safe return. After her disappearing with the Blackbird no one knew if she was alive or dead, so it's probably a combination of relief and their usual playful banter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy mom
Does it have something to do with what happened to make the 'ancient times' people leave Kobol? It's probably written in the scriptures...
I think it's in the scriptures, but I'm not 100% on what exactly is being said there

Quote:
Choosing Birch as the new CAG was one awful decision by Adama!
I guess he didn't realize, or didn't want to realize, that Birch was a poor choice as CAG.
Those two near-disasters in space were painful to watch.
Agreed, very painful to watch, especially with those intercuts to Bill & Tigh in CIC

Quote:
Adama's talk with Dee was fascinating. Dee really stepped up and said some things that Adama needed to hear.
She really got him thinking Deep inside he probably knew all along what he needed to do, but he also needed someone else to give him the final shove so to speak.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:13 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
I know what you mean and I pretty much felt the same when I first watched the show. She used every trick in the book to get what she wanted.
I think because I had so admired Roslin and put her on a pedestal I felt betrayed when I found out she had faults. I don't know why this bothered me so much when Kara does some things I don't like later in S3 but I was able to accept those.
Quote:
Looking back, I also understand why she did it, ...
I am starting to understand Roslin more and to like her more, so she is not completely "black" but more "grey" to me.

Quote:
Agreed, another intense scene was when she went to get that huge gun and Lee thought she was about to kill him.
Yeah I really loved that one.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I think it's in the scriptures, but I'm not 100% on what exactly is being said there
Okay, thanks, it'll probably come up again sometime.

Quote:
Agreed, very painful to watch, especially with those intercuts to Bill & Tigh in CIC
Exactly! I don't know how they were able to stay so calm, on the outside.

Quote:
She really got him thinking Deep inside he probably knew all along what he needed to do, but he also needed someone else to give him the final shove so to speak.
I liked the moment in the hallway, when he's walking and then suddenly changes direction.
He didn't speak a word, but I think we all knew what was going on in his mind just then.

Okay, here are my thoughts on 'Home - Part 2'...

What an amazing second half!
There was so much going on in this one, it was packed full of twists and turns.

It was great when Adama said he's the only one who can reach out to Roslin.
That's a good indicator of their relationship. They've worked together closely, but there's also the personal level there.
I loved when Adama thanked her for every day that he's alive.
The way that Adama had everyone make 'proper' applause for Roslin was just plain awesome.

The Baltar/Six scenes were brilliant! Some great lines in there:
"Who's going to bear our secret love child?" "It's not Starbuck, is it?"
"Wake up and smell the psychosis already!"
And this one freaked me out:
"I'm you. Your subconscious..."
Baltar finds out that there's no Cylon chip in his brain - Six telling him he's just crazy gets him going for a brain scan.
Baltar getting the head scan was hilarious! He couldn't even lie still, with Six messing with him.
Dr. Cottle interacting with Baltar was too funny!
"Nothing, nothing, more nothing...are you satisfied?"
At least we know now that Baltar isn't crazy.
So now Head Six told Baltar that she's an angel of God, sent to protect him until the end of the human race?!
It should get very interesting in coming episodes, from the looks of things...

I was glad to see Billy going to Kobol, I like his character so far.
It was a nice thing for him to hear, when Adama told him that Roslin thinks he'll be President one day.
I admire Kara for brining up a rescue mission to Caprica, but I wasn't surprised that Roslin had nothing of the sort on her mind. She was set on finding the Tomb of Athena, and nothing else was going to sway her attention.

Helo and Sharon in the shelters was so nice to see. I just love how he looks out for her, no matter what.
"It's okay, I like weird."
Aww, they both know now that their child is a girl.
Like Kara said to Lee, Helo loves Sharon anyway, even though she's a Cylon.
To me, that scene just emphasized the differences between those two 'couples.'

I don't like what Meier had planned, plotting to kill Lee so Zarek could have his glory.
Meier used the fact that Boomer was killed, to try and sway Sharon to seek revenge.
I was so happy when Sharon shot Meier instead of Adama! She showed everyone there, that she's not like Boomer...she makes her own choices. She's shown that many times over already.

The moment when Adama appears out of the bushes was amazing...the subsequent hug with Lee and the way he looked at Kara were so touching.
Then Sharon appears and there's chaos again! (just like in Part 1 on the ship)
Such an intense moment when Adama pushes her down and nearly suffocates her.

Sharon and Chief shared a nice, although awkward, moment when they hug and she gives him a little kiss on the cheek...while Helo looks on, shaking his head.
Helo didn't interrrup them, but you could tell it made him uncomfortable.

What a cool scene, when Adama, Roslin, Lee, Kara, and Billy all get transported to what seems to be Earth! It was a spine-tingling moment when Kara realized where they were. I suppose they'll be searching for that certain Nebula first, before they can find the 12 constellations...

icon: Spike it up
Old 09-02-2008, 05:47 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I have alot to catch up on here when I do watch the episode Was planning on watching it yesterday, but nope SG1 episode instead
Old 09-02-2008, 06:03 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I don't know why this bothered me so much when Kara does some things I don't like later in S3 but I was able to accept those.
I think that's because she's Kara - you kinda expect her to do those things, since she's always been a but if a loose canon (to quote her: 'Out of the box is where I live' - defines her character very well most of the time). Roslin on the other hand, is the more settled character, you don't expect her to be selfish, use people, go behind other people's back or use other tricks from the book to get what she wants.

Quote:
"Nothing, nothing, more nothing...are you satisfied?"
Just reading that quote cracks me up - Cottle rocks

Quote:
I admire Kara for brining up a rescue mission to Caprica, but I wasn't surprised that Roslin had nothing of the sort on her mind. She was set on finding the Tomb of Athena, and nothing else was going to sway her attention.
It was basically: "I got the 'Arrow of Apollo', so who cares about the people on Caprica right now?" Sorry to be so harsh, but that was the impression Roslin gave us viewers.

Quote:
She showed everyone there, that she's not like Boomer...she makes her own choices. She's shown that many times over already.
That she did Just like when she shot the cylons from the raider when Kara escaped from the farm - she sure didn't have to do that.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I loved what Dee said to Adama