Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

He does look really young, it might just be the times too. it's funny how you can see how we've really changed

beautiful creatures
Old 01-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaSaysHi (View Post)
He does look really young, it might just be the times too. it's funny how you can see how we've really changed
Agree. Interestingly, Orson Welles looks much older than 22 imo - it's just the opposite. Times certainly change.

I'm off for tonight. I'll add everyone new in tomorrow morning.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Night Bee and thanks for opening. And yea, Orson looks way older

beautiful creatures
Old 01-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Extreme Fan

Thanks for openiiiiiiiiing !!!

Definitely want to be added, please ?

I'll be off today, cause I have work, but I can't wait to be back tonight to talk with you guys, and catch up on all I've missed =)

xoxo
Wicked is my religion
- The Regent is my church -
Old 01-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Banned

Does it have an actual date when its coming out?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:07 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for opening!

Add me please?
Old 01-22-2008, 04:27 AM
Master Fan

ADD ME TOO, please
I have to read that book.. I'm not reading books often but for Zac.. I would do everything!
Old 01-22-2008, 04:45 AM
Loyal Fan

Alternative summaries/reviews of the "Me and Orson Welles" novel by Robert Kaplow:

Summary from American Library Association via Production Charts:
Quote:
In 1937 the world was preparing for war, but Richard Samuels, a 17-year-old in suburban New Jersey, was preparing himself for the role of a lifetime. All his life he had wanted to be on the stage, and one day he wandered onto a set in the theater district, where a chance encounter changed his life forever.

There Richard met the 22-year-old Orson Welles, who offered him a bit part in a bold new interpretation of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. When Welles was not directing the play, he was busy being famous, womanizing, and boozing. The awestruck Richard saw this as his own chance to leap to fame, with Welles as his mentor. The theater, however, quickly jades even the youngest of participants, and when the megolomaniacal Welles casts his eye on the woman with whom Richard himself had fallen in love, all hell breaks loose.
Summary from Publishers Weekly:
Quote:
"This is the story of one week in my life. I was seventeen. It was the week I slept in Orson Welles's pajamas. It was the week I fell in love. It was the week I fell out of love." Thus does the precocious protagonist of Kaplow's first adult novel summarize his adventures as a bit-part player in the landmark 1937 Mercury Theater production of Julius Caesar that helped catapult the 22-year-old Welles to the top of the entertainment world. Kaplow wastes no time setting up his unlikely scenario; after an impromptu sidewalk audition, Richard Samuels, a New Jersey high school student, lands the part of Lucius, a minor character. The conceit forms a nice counterpoint to the coming-of-age material, as Kaplow alternates scenes about Samuels's high school and home life with a series of rehearsal passages that bring the brilliant but mercurial Welles to life. Samuels falls in love more than once: first with fellow high school actress Caroline, then with a lovely, flighty production assistant named Sonja who is also involved with Welles, and finally with Gretta, an aspiring writer. The climax features a colorful showdown between Samuels and Welles after the boy confronts the married Welles about his affair with Sonja. Kaplow doesn't quite capture the dark side of the enigmatic Welles, but his bright, enthusiastic writing about Samuels's introduction to the world of high-stakes theater makes this an entertaining offering.
Summary from School Library Journal:
Quote:
Adult/High School-In November, 1937, Richard Samuels, 17, a high school senior drifting relatively painlessly through school and relationships, feels there might be more to life. The New Jerseyite spends weekends wandering in Manhattan looking for a connection, preferably theatrical, that would excite him. He happens upon the yet to open Mercury Theatre and is noticed by its mercurial muse, Orson Welles. He is given a small part in Julius Caesar, which is ultimately a grand success, and spends a week in a fantastic whirl as part of the troupe. The following few days are exciting, frustrating, and, finally, both triumphant and devastating to the would-be thespian. Kaplow brings the New York of the late 1930s vividly to life, especially the theatrical world. The novel is fast paced and very funny, and the brilliant but unpredictable Welles is a perfect foil for the sardonic but inexperienced young man. Welles at 22 is close to Richard's age, but far from the center of his moral compass. Incidents of anti-Semitism and misogyny distress the teen, yet the actor/producer's brilliance and daring are like a magnet. Richard's dreams of a Broadway career soon fade, but he emerges from the experience with a desire to write, possibly a new romance, and certainly an important new friendship.

Last edited by jeezbee; 01-23-2008 at 02:16 PM
Old 01-22-2008, 05:30 AM
Elite Fan

soooooo excited for this movie and i agree, zac in a period piece: smoking

please add me to the list!
Old 01-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Loyal Fan

Everyone is added.

Regarding filming times - if I would have to guess I would expect that they film only a few days in NYC and London each.. for external shoots. Then the most of the film would take place inside the theater or other interior locations which will be filmed on the Isle of Man. That typically has to do with tax benefits and costs - you only get them if you have all or the majority of the movie done in that location and from what I got from the official Isle of Man website they do have movie incentives. On the other hand, the USD-GBP exchange rate is anything than favorable at the moment.

So, personal guess: 2-5 days NYC, 2-5 days London, 4-5 weeks Isle of Man.

I hope we'll get more info soon.

Last edited by jeezbee; 01-23-2008 at 02:06 PM
Old 01-22-2008, 08:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Cool to see the breakdown. He'll be overseas for a while then.

Thanks for the info Jeezbee!

Molly.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyychick2 (View Post)
Cool to see the breakdown. He'll be overseas for a while then.

Thanks for the info Jeezbee!
That's not based on any info yet - it's only my personal guess at the moment. But I would certainly expect the part with the theater to take up a significant part of the filming time because otherwise it wouldn't be worth moving the entire production that far to the Isle of Man.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Banned

Sounds cool!
Old 01-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Loyal Fan

I found more info.

There is an article on Isle of Man Today about the movie (emphasis is mine):

Quote:
Heart-throb Zac Efron to make Manx movie?

TEEN heart-throb Zac Efron could be heading to the Isle of Man. The High School Musical star has been widely linked by industry sources to new Manx film Me and Orson Welles, which is likely to begin shooting at the Gaiety Theatre, Douglas, next month.

Actress Anne Hathaway (The Devil Wears Prada, The Princess Diaries and Brokeback Mountain) is also said to have signed up for the production. The film, which it has also been reported will be directed by Richard Linklater (School of Rock), is based on Robert Kaplow's book of the same name.

Efron, 20, is best known for playing Disney's High School Musical lead character Troy Bolton and starred in Hairspray with John Travolta. A spokesman for IoM Film could not confirm any details as the Isle of Man Examiner went to press.

But, in a summary of Council of Ministers proceedings for November, released on Thursday, under the heading of Me and Orson Welles, it was confirmed Trade and Industry Minister David Cretney and Tourism and Leisure Minister Adrian Earnshaw had told colleagues there was an 'opportunity for a major new film in the new year', which would need the Gaiety Theatre for approximately five weeks in February/March.

While no details have been officially released in the Island about the film, the news of Efron and Hathaway's attachment to the film features on many film websites and Efron has been pictured carrying a copy of the script.

Mr Earnshaw has already publicly confirmed a large film production wants to use the Gaiety for filming in February and March but has not elaborated further.

The Young Farmers have agreed to switch venue to the Villa Marina for their popular annual concert to make way for the production.
Please note that the article is dated 14 January 2008, ie 5 days before the HR announcement.

What seems to be certain based on this article is that they will film for approx. 5 weeks in the Gaiety theatre on the IoM. This does leave indeed only a few days of filming in NYC and London each if they stick to the 6 weeks filming schedule as has been projected by the official announcement.

They also mention Anne Hathaway - this was discussed earlier in the news thread... considering that she hasn't been announced alongside with the project and Zac in THR, I'm not sure this is still true. However, they knew about all the other stuff which turned out to be valid, so perhaps there is still a chance for her to do the part. I'm sure we'll hear sooner or later who is cast as the female lead.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Banned

Ooh Anne's going to be in it. I love her!