Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Her eyes
Icon By Me
Old 10-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Elite Fan

what a great cause!!!!

makes the recent tragedy at Rutgers even more disturbing....there is awareness, but clearly not enough
Old 10-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Elite Fan

Huge was cancelled this morning.

Quote:
ABC Family is the latest network looking to shed some pounds.

The network confirmed Monday reports that it was canceling “Huge.”

The series, which had a 10-episode run, starred Nikki Blonsky (“Hairspray”) and Hayley Hasselhoff (daughter of The Hoff, a.k.a. David Hasslehoff) as teens at a weight-loss camp.

The series premiered in June as part of the network's summer slate of programing, which also included “Pretty Little Liars” and “Melissa & Joey.”

The network decided not to renew for additional episodes beyond the initial 10.

Though the show had started out strong, the ratings dropped throughout its run, averaging 1.9 million viewers.

Blonsky took to Twitter to address the news: “2 all my fans who loved @#HUGE I thank u for ur support + 4 watching and as much as u all loved Will I loved playing her!”

-- Yvonne Villarreal
ABC Family cancels 'Huge' | Show Tracker | Los Angeles Times

Nikki also said:

Quote:
To all my fans I promise I will become part of a new project and give u guys a new character to believe in and relate 2 ill never let u down
Quote:
Remember u can all always count on me for support and ill help u guys through anything u need!
Twitter

If you guys feel like it, you should send some love to the other cast members on twitter, they're taking it hard.
NZ | Icon by Shelle
Old 10-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyBabe (View Post)
Huge was cancelled this morning.

ABC Family cancels 'Huge' | Show Tracker | Los Angeles Times

Nikki also said:

Twitter

If you guys feel like it, you should send some love to the other cast members on twitter, they're taking it hard.
This is such crap....it was a really good show & was really well liked by the critics The cast's tweets are so sweet/sad at the same time

Twitter / Brittany Snow: luv u and luv the pic! #lo ...

Quote:
luv u and luv the pic! #loveislouder RT @SophiaBush: To anyone who has ever doubted themselves.. Love is LOUDER! WhoSay - Sophia Bush 9:58 PM Oct 3rd via ÜberTwitter Retweeted by 6 people
I am loving all the Sophia/Brit tweets And so many people she is getting involved with this cause!
Old 10-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm really annoyed at this, like, really really annoyed. Why is everything about ratings? Some shows take a bit longer to take off. And what's wrong with having a show on that could potentially succeed in reaching out to teens around the world?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Elite Fan

I know. Its really sad reading the things people are tweeting at Niikki about it, they're so upset.

ABC News did post this.

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - A day after ABC Family canceled its freshman series "Huge," Jezebel.com has started an online petition to save the weight-loss drama.

In the petition, Jezebel.com's Dodai Stewart argues that there are too few TV shows that feature overweight characters, and on the shows where fat characters do exist, they are typically treated as a punchline.

"'Huge' was different, of course, because although the show was about teenagers at a weight-loss camp, weight loss was actually just a fraction of the issues the kids (and adults) were dealing with," the petition reads. "The characters juggled dilemmas relating to crushes, self-confidence, popularity, rumors, toxic friendships, sexual urges, family drama, jealousy, embarrassment, sexual orientation, creativity, lying, cheating, rebellion, body odor, nerdiness and body image. In other words, it reminded us that fat people are people. Humans."

"Huge," which stars Nikki Blonsky and Hayley Hasselhoff, averaged 1.9 million viewers over 10 episodes this summer.

"But I'd be willing to guess that for the almost 2 million people it touched, the impact was really important," Stewart writes.

Copyright 2010 Reuters News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Women's Website Starts Petition to Save 'Huge' - ABC News
NZ | Icon by Shelle
Old 10-06-2010, 05:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The petition made it to The Hollywood Reporter

I know its slim but I hope ABC Family reconsiders/take notice

Quote:
Women's website starts petition to save 'Huge' Women's website starts petition to save 'Huge' about 12 hours ago via twitterfeed Retweeted by you and 6 others
Brit has a new twitter profile picture:

Gosh she's gorgeous

The Nsync fan loves that's she's good friends with Lance Plus he played Corny on Broadway

Twitter / Brittany Snow: Thank u 2 my amazing frien ...

Quote:
@LanceBass: gave such a great interview on Larry King Live last night and mentioned (cont) TwitLonger: Thank u 2 my amazing friend @LanceBass: gave such a great interview on Larry King Live last night an about 19 hours ago via ÜberTwitter Retweeted by 2 people
Old 10-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Elite Fan

He did!? I totally didn't know that!

The petition made it to EW!

Quote:
Thanks to the ladies at Jezebel, there’s a petition to save ABC Family’s fat-camp teen drama Huge, which was canceled Monday. I’ve signed it — here’s why you should, too:

1. While larger folks have been showing up more on television lately — see Drop Dead Diva, Mike & Molly — they’re still far outnumbered by model-thin types. We can’t afford to lose any of them when they’re on even a decent show — and this was more than decent. Which brings us to …

2. With Greek on its way out and Ten Things I Hate About You gone, Huge represented the next great hope for the network’s tradition of realistic, witty, sensitive portrayals of teens. I enjoy watching Pretty Little Liars and Melissa and Joey, but they’re guilty pleasures. Huge was the real thing, no surprise since it came from My So-Called Life creator Winnie Holzman and her daughter, Savannah Dooley. Speaking of which …

3. It was ostensibly about kids at fat camp, and it tackled their problems as such with sensitivity but without condescension. It was funny and fun and heartbreaking, sometimes all in one scene. So many of the plots were fresh because it featured so much previously un-mined territory for TV: a black-market junkfood operation, a turf war with the athletic kids at a neighboring camp, the unexpected joy and pressure of being the thinnest girl at fat camp, the struggles of the formerly-overweight head counselor (the lovely Gina Torres) to stay thin.

4. It also tackled bunches of other teen drama stuff that had nothing to do with its weight issues: geeks versus cool kids, unrequited love, problematic parents. We have too many ridiculous teen dramas featuring ridiculously privileged, impossibly beautiful characters played by 30-year-olds and not enough with the quiet conviction to show the real problems of unvarnished young people.

5. The adorable cast. Nikki Blonsky, in particular, was nothing short of fearless (I will never forget her stripping-down-to-her-bathing-suit scene in the pilot) as angry-girl Will; Hayley Hasselhoff was a delight as hottest-camper Amber. I also developed a wicked (and borderline inappropriate) crush on Amber’s fitness-coach crush, George (original 90210 dad James Eckhouse’s son, Zander).

What do you say, PopWatchers? Will you sign the petition to save Huge?
The Save-'Huge' campaign: Why you should sign the petition | EW.com
NZ | Icon by Shelle
Old 10-07-2010, 06:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah I'm not hopeful about campaigns I know the Legend of the Seeker crew have a HUGE campaign going on and I don't think it's been very successful
Old 10-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyBabe (View Post)
He did!? I totally didn't know that!

The petition made it to EW!

The Save-'Huge' campaign: Why you should sign the petition | EW.com
Aw I love that it made it to EW! Take notice ABC Family! I love their #2 & #5 reasons too But unfortunately like Dani says Im not hopeful I know Legend of the Seeker has even a bigger cult following & if its not helping them then idk.

One of the detention kids, Sherisse who is one of Nikki's BFF's tweeted her this

Twitter / Sherisse Springer: @NikkiBlonsky Thanks 4 bei ...

Quote:
@NikkiBlonsky Thanks 4 being a hero 2 all these young girls whose tweets r breaking my heart. U r such a great role model on screen and off. 11:09 PM Oct 5th via Twitter for BlackBerry® Retweeted by 1 person
Some pics of her with the cast

God it took forever for me to find the one with her, Zac & the other dancer...sheesh *makes note to organize/update PB's *
Old 10-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Elite Fan

Aww baby!Zac.

Yeah I doubt it'd actually get brought back but I think its a positive thing that its getting attention, showing what it means to people.
NZ | Icon by Shelle
Old 10-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^ This is true, I'm sure it means a lot to Nikki and her castmates, seeing this kind of support
Old 10-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Elite Fan

Nikki did an interview with the site that started the petition and says some really good things.

Quote:
Nikki: I just want to start off by thanking you so much for starting the petition. It just means so much to me. I can't even express in words how much it means. If you were here I would hug you and squeeze you to death.

Dodai: Well I just really love the show. I don't know if the petition will do anything, but I had to try, because I am such a big fan. And I'm sad that it's not going to continue.

Nikki: The entertainment industry thinks they know what we want. But when people — teenagers — stand up and say, 'We're tired of seeing of this on TV, we want this' — hopefully the networks will start paying attention and start saying, 'Well, maybe we should finally give them what they want, instead of what we think they want. The fans reaching out — the signatures on the petition — and the fact that it's in the media that people are fighting for this show to come back, I think that's just incredible.

[b]Dodai[/b}A lot of people really felt personally connected to the show. There were so many different types of stories, and maybe everyone connected differently in the way that they related to the characters. Although there is more frivolous entertainment out there, like Jersey Shore , this show had an actual impact on people.

NikkiAbsolutely! Let's face it, most of America doesn't look like J-Woww, and we're not fist-pumping at Karma. It's not happening. And that's what makes the world go ‘round — we're all different. And why shouldn't there be a show that caters to those different people? Why is it that we're seeing one type of community? It's not fair and it's not right.

With Huge, I think people maybe got a little scared! Because we were actually covering [so much] territory, and doing it fearlessly.

We covered everything from being gay to questioning your sexuality to cross-dressing to being overweight to body odor. And did it in a really gentle manner. The fact that kids were responding to it so well… I think it almost scared the network. Maybe [they realized] that their other shows are kind of mediocre.

DodaiWhat were your impressions when you first heard about the show, and the concept of it?

NikkiWhen I first heard about Huge… I said to my agent, I HAVE to play Will. And he said well, you've gotta go through a rigorous audition process. And I went back six times. I put myself on tape, and I screen tested. Everybody thinks that because I was Tracy Turnblad in Hairspray that they just gave me the role. That's not how it happened. I had to audition. And their main issue with me was, can you be mean enough to play this role? And I really dug deep. I said, you know what? I was teased so much in high school. And so much in middle school. I'm sure I can find that anger somewhere. And I did. I auditioned for the role six times and I got it. And the feeling when I got it — I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders in a way. Because I was going to finally be able to bring to light a TV show that was so different. It just felt very groundbreaking. I felt really honored to be a part of it.

DodaiWhat about when you read that you'd be doing a striptease?

Nikki I was so excited about the striptease! For years I struggled with never wanting to go to the beach or the pool, because I didn't want to wear a bathing suit. I hated bathing suits. And when I read that my character was going to strip down to a bathing suit, I thought, well, it is now or never. Face your fears. And I really wanted to do it in a big, grand way. To show the world: Look. This is what a lot of people in America look like. We're all not skinny tiny little people. This is what we look like, and it's OKAY. It's okay for us to go to the beach, or wear a bathing suit at the pool. We should be able to be comfortable and proud. It broke a boundary within myself; I had to face that fear in order to do that, for the people that I really wanted to do it for — the fans. The kids that I know are suffering with going to the beach in a bathing suit themselves.

DodaiI think that's one of the things that's really interesting: With a show about, say, cops — or lawyers – the actors are usually not actually cops or lawyers. In this instance, the cast is who they are playing, to some extent. Maybe you're not dealing with the exact same issues as your character is, but it's an overweight person being played by an overweight person. There's a deeper connection there.

NikkiAbsolutely. I always said our show was more of a reality show than a reality show. Because everything was so real. These kids that were playing heavyset kids that were picked on were most likely heavyset kids that were picked on. There's no filter there. They didn't have to study anything, they just had to look at their own lives, and finally say, yeah, this is what I've been through and this is what a lot of kids in the world are going through. It was the most real show on TV.

DodaiThere was an episode in which your character, Will, was cutting up women's magazines. She called them "propaganda." I was wondering if you have any thoughts about them. It's one of the types of media — besides TV — that young women and girls really voraciously consume.

In the previous episode, [Hayley Hasselhoff's character] Amber had cut out [photos] of really thin models, and she called them thinspiration. And Will put up pictures of women from the 16th century and 18th century, when women were bustier and curvier and it was embraced. Will says it's fatspiration. But when she's cutting up the magazines — if I can remember correctly — she says she will not stand for things that destroy girls' minds, and what they think they should look like. I have to agree with her on that.

I buy magazines and they drive me crazy! I have been to the big award shows and I have been on big red carpets and I have worn fantastic dresses. And for some reason, in the magazines the next week, it'll be "who wore blue." And I say to myself, well, I wore blue, why wasn't I in that lineup? It's a bunch of skinny girls in the same blue dress. It's kind of saying, actresses look like this. And if you want to be an actress, you have to look like that. And that's not true. You have to be who you are. It gets to me sometimes. I still struggle with it all the time. I am me. I am out there.

I got VERY frustrated when the show got canceled. Because I put on a really strong front and I tell everybody else, it's okay, everything happens for a reason. But I felt that Huge was really at the forefront — it was a groundbreaking moment for our culture. Every step we take… Now with the network canceling it, it's like we're taking two steps back. I just hope for the future — for the sake of people who are different — I just hope that there are TV shows where people who ARE different can act in them. And that they reach the audience. Those who aren't the typical 90210 or Melrose Place types. I don't watch those shows, but I would gather that I would get pretty tired of looking at the same kind of people over and over and over again. Where do they find these people? Nobody looks like that. At least not in my town! I mean they're beautiful people, I'm not bashing them in any way. But I want people to watch TV and think, my gosh, FINALLY. She's not the typical beauty, she's not the typical person you'd see on TV, but she belongs on TV because she's playing an awesome character that we can all relate to.

DodaiI'm sad that the show is canceled, but I am so glad I got a chance to talk to you about this. Any last thoughts?

NikkiI've always said: Go huge or go home. And we've gone home now, but we're still huge and we're here to stay. You can't take the love that we have for ourselves and our bodies away from us. You can take away the TV show, but you can't take that love — that we carry for ourselves and each other — away from us.

Read more: Nikki Blonsky Talks About Huge's Cancellation
NZ | Icon by Shelle
Old 10-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Fan

So, I just realized that I miss you guys like a lot. I miss this thread, I miss the HS cast, I miss peeps.

And now I'm going to miss HUGE. My friends and I loved that show so much and we're sad that its over.

I LOVE YOU ALL.

Someone remind me to watch HS within the next week. Maybe my nephew will want to watch it. He loves that movie.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Elite Fan

Nikki's going to be shooting a PSA for Brit's Love is Louder campaign against bullying and teen suicide.

Quote:
@NikkiBlonsky Hi Nikki! R U joining Brittany Snow's Love is Louder campaign? That would be great! #Ilovepugstoo!
Twitter

To which Nikki replied:

Quote:
@Mimi2222 yes I am I'm shooting my PSA monday!
Twitter
NZ | Icon by Shelle