Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2004, 10:08 AM
Loyal Fan

A drive-by posting for now since I'm on my way out the door, but I just watched "The 24th Day" and all I can say is "WOW!" Very powerful, very good film. I thought Speedy and James Marsden were both excellent. Far and away, his best performance to date. There were actually parts that I laughed right out loud ... "I have a deviated septum! My snoring is a medical condition!" And parts where I cried... I don't want to spoil anyone, but the segment where he tells Dan what he really wanted to do with his life was incredibly moving (and so well-acted). Speedy's mumbling is still a bit of a problem though... my rewind button got a bit of a workout! It's a shame that this wasn't released in more theaters... it was so much better and more thought-provoking than 80% of what I see when I go to the movies these days.

I can't wait for everyone else to see it!
Old 07-21-2004, 11:38 AM
Extreme Fan

mjw11,
at last a review from someone else who's seen the film "The 24th Day"! I feel better, because I thought I liked it only because I'm not indifferent to Scott. It's good, isn't it? Way to go Scott and Jim (or Jimmy, as Scott would refer to him). I have a question, the edition that you have, does it contain any extras? Like commentaries, interviews, etc.? Thank you for the review!

Addie

Noel would never choose to be with somebody else, when he could be with you, Ben to Felicity.

Last edited by addicted to RSS; 07-21-2004 at 11:43 AM
Old 07-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Extreme Fan

This just makes me look forward to seeing this movie all the more. Thanks Addie and mjw11 for your comments. I can't wait to see this movie.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:09 PM
Loyal Fan

Addie, there are no extras to speak of. There are the actors' filmographies, which was basically a still screen with a picture of Speedy and a list of his film credits. Pretty much bare bones!

And yes, it is a good film... it's not just you. I discovered early on in my career as a Speedy obsessive that it is virtually impossible for me to be objective about the quality of his performances or of the films themselves. But, in all honesty, I was totally riveted by "The 24th Day"... there were no traces of "Ben" to be found in his performance. I can't make the same claim about "Underworld" or even "My Life Without Me" (which I liked much more). Maybe it was because he was in virtually every scene, maybe just the fact that I watched at home instead of at the theater and, therefore, my expectations weren't so sky-high. Who knows?! But I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend the movie, and I can't wait to watch it again!
Old 07-21-2004, 01:25 PM
Extreme Fan

mjw11, may I ask how it came about that you got to see this film early? I think you told us, but I forgot. Did you say you bought it off ebay?
Old 07-21-2004, 01:31 PM
Extreme Fan

Yeah, Maeve -- off ebay. But don't forget to check out amazon, too.

Addie

Noel would never choose to be with somebody else, when he could be with you, Ben to Felicity.

Last edited by addicted to RSS; 07-21-2004 at 02:12 PM
Old 07-21-2004, 02:17 PM
Extreme Fan

Thanks Addie, I'm going to go check Amazon right now.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:32 PM
Supreme Fan

mjw, I am glad you got to see The 24th Day & liked it so much.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:08 PM
Total Fan

mjw11, thank you for sharing your review of The 24th Day. I know exactly what you mean about not being able to be objective when it comes to Speedy's work. I am the same way. There is just something about him, I love everything he does. I am very excited to see this movie. With all the comments you and Addie have shared, as well as Eva (where is our friend anyway?), I am positive this movie is the best work Scott has done to date. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Tumblr
Old 07-22-2004, 06:26 AM
Extreme Fan

This is up at ebay, I never get tired of looking at this pic:

Old 07-22-2004, 09:50 AM
Extreme Fan

I have not been able to post yesterday. The thread was busy. Another try:

The afterfilm discussion, Tony Piccirillo at the podium.

Addie

Last edited by addicted to RSS; 07-22-2004 at 05:49 PM
Old 07-22-2004, 10:53 AM
Extreme Fan

Addie, so cute, is this one of the pictures you took?
Old 07-22-2004, 11:17 AM
Extreme Fan

No, Maeve, I didn't take the picture, but I had asked Tony a question about the film (all a-tremble with nervousness). I did adjust the visuals for Eva. Later, Scott came down to meet the fans. I spoke to him! He signed a photo (accepting Face of the Future award) and the San Francisco magazine. I couldn't believe it. I was actually speaking to "Ben Covington". Either he was coached, or it is his natural goodness coming through, but he was great!

Addie

Last edited by addicted to RSS; 07-22-2004 at 05:52 PM
Old 07-22-2004, 11:53 AM
Extreme Fan

One more pic of the Speedy-fest.

Leaving the Stuyvesant School site.

Addie

Old 07-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Extreme Fan

Friendly with fans.

Addie

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top