Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2006, 06:35 PM
New Fan

Salma Hayek Appreciation Thread #1-Mexico's Finest Export

Bio:
Salma Hayek Jiménez (born September 2, 1966) is an Academy Award-nominated Mexican actress. The most successful Latin American actress in Hollywood since Carmen Miranda, Hayek has appeared in more than thirty films, and is arguably the most important Mexican star in Hollywood today. She is a feminist whose charitable work includes increasing awareness on violence against women and discrimination against immigrants.

Hayek was born in Coatzacoalcos, Veracruz, Mexico to Lebanese father Sami Hayek (oil company executive) and Spanish mother Diana Jimenez (opera singer). Raised in a wealthy, devoutly Catholic family, she was sent to the Academy of the Sacred Heart, Grand Coteau, Louisiana, at the age of 12. She was also an accomplished gymnast, with aspirations of becoming an Olympic competitor.

After leaving the school due to alleged behavioral problems with the religious sisters who ran the school, Hayek returned to Mexico for a period, but then she was sent to Houston, Texas, to live with her aunt, where she stayed until she was 17. She subsequently moved to Mexico City for college, where she studied International Relations at the Universidad Iberoamericana. To the chagrin of her family, she decided to drop out in order to pursue a career as an actress.

At the age of 23, Hayek landed the title role in Teresa (1989), a successful telenovela (Mexican soap opera) which earned her star status in her native country. Later, in 1994, Hayek starred in El Callejón de los Milagros ("The Alley of Miracles"), which has won more awards than any other movie in the history of Mexican Cinema.

Despite limited fluency in English, Hayek moved to Los Angeles, California, in 1991 to study acting with the hopes of starting a career in Hollywood. Robert Rodriguez and his producer wife Elizabeth Avellan soon gave Hayek the break she needed, starring opposite Antonio Banderas in 1995's Desperado. This movie brought Hayek to Hollywood's attention, as moviegoers proved to be as dazzled with Hayek as Rodriguez had been.

She followed her success in Desperado with a brief but memorable role in From Dusk Till Dawn. In 1999 she co-starred in Will Smith's big-budget Wild Wild West and played a supporting role in Kevin Smith's Dogma.

Frida, co-produced by Hayek, was released in 2002. Starring Hayek as Frida Kahlo, and Alfred Molina as her unfaithful husband, Diego Rivera, the film also featured an entourage of stars in supporting roles, including Antonio Banderas, Ashley Judd, Geoffrey Rush, Edward Norton and Valeria Golino. Her performance won her a Best Actress Academy Award nomination.

In 2003 she reprised her role from Desperado by appearing in the final film of the Mariachi Trilogy, Once Upon a Time in Mexico.

In December 2005 she directed a music video for Prince, titled "Te Amo Corazon" ("I love you, sweetheart") that featured Mia Maestro, with whom she is good friends.

In September 2006 Hayek added another accomplishment, that of executive producer and creator of Ugly Betty, an American dramedy television series that has attracted a lot of attention and critical acclaim. Hayek adapted the series concept and idea after acquiring the rights and scripts from the Colombian Telenovela Yo Soy Betty La Fea in 2001. Originally intended for NBC in 2004, the project would later be picked up by ABC as a 2006-2007 Fall TV season entry thanks in part to the buzz and feedback Hayek's project has generated.

Hayek dated fellow actor Edward Norton for four years, between 1999 and 2003, and then Josh Lucas from 2003 until 2004. Concerning marriage Hayek has said, "Women have been taught that in order to have a place in the world, an identity, they must marry and have children. If that's the life you truly want, great. But for many women, marriage is only about needing the world to know that someone desires them enough to say, 'Here's a contract to prove that I love you and will commit to you for the rest of my life.' For these women, no contract equals no validation - and, thus, no reason for existing." As of 2006, Hayek is single and has homes in Los Angeles and Mexico. She is rumoured to have been linked to British actor Jude Law shortly after he apologized publicly for cheating on actress Sienna Miller.

Hayek is fluent in English, Spanish, Arabic, and Portuguese.

She is one of only two Mexican actresses to have been nominated for an Academy Award (alongside Katy Jurado).

Pictures:

Last edited by I_Love_Petra; 09-26-2006 at 06:50 PM
I_Love_Petra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:55 PM
New Fan

I_Love_Petra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:16 AM
Master Fan

It might all be gone t o m o r r o w.
Katie_Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Extreme Fan

I know this thread has been inactive for years, but I just thought I'd post over here and say that I love Salma Hayek! I've been watching her on 30 Rock over the past few weeks, and although it's not my favorite role she played, it has brought her back to the front of my mind. Loved her in "Desperado" and "Once Upon a Time in Mexico." Can people recommend other good Salma movies to watch? I'd love to watch some more with her in it!
Gossip_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Frida is a really good one.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Extreme Fan

Thanks! I'll have to watch it.
Gossip_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

No problemo!! Fools Rush In was also a good one.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Salma with her little girl, Valentina:

so cute!!
Old 07-20-2013, 11:25 PM
Master Fan

Source

Who Are You and What Do You Want?

ic: shinebrighterxx
Jason Morgan | Wanda Maximoff | Prince Zuko/Mai | Prince Zuko/ Sukka | Draco/Pansy/Blaise/Theo | Princess Zelda / Link | Clark & Lois
baelfire24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Hi Everyone!

I made a batch of avatars/icons!

Mi||iê Måë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:50 AM
Banned

elizas#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:32 AM
Moderator Support Team

Great pictures .

BRICS
Prayers for 🇷🇺 🙏🕯️
🇵🇸 🕊️#stopIsraelgenocide
Persephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:54 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

It's amazing how well she has aged. She looks either the same or younger the older she gets.

{taek su mi sun}
fall into your smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I loved her in Frida, that's my favourite film on hers.
Mi||iê Måë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

I saw her in Hitman's Bodyguard last night! She was amazing in it and funny

Anyone going to see her in Mother?

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]
heartღaflutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top