Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Patrick Swayze 1952-2009 appreciation

Tonight around 8:35pm EST Press Release announced his death he had battled for 2 years with Pancreatic Cancer .

keanu reeves and Patrick Swayze In Point Break 1991

2009 photo

Patrick Swayze1952-2009 -- Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news. best bio

Let it turn to something else.
Patrick Swayze, star of some of the most popular films of the last three decades, has passed away after a nearly two-year battle with pancreatic cancer. He was fifty-seven. This photo from March 2009 shows how bad the cancer had gotten to him

Red Dawn cover

For most, Swayze will be best remembered as the dreamboat dance instructor Johnny Castle or the devoted-beyond-the-grave husband Sam Wheat - which is fine, as he was excellent in both of those roles. But I've a feeling AICN readers won't be leading with DIRTY DANCING or GHOST as they start their own personal Swayze-thons tonight. For some, the go-to film will be POINT BREAK, Kathryn Bigelow's classic action film starring Swayze as the soulful adrenaline junkie/bank robber Bodhi. For others, it'll be RED DAWN, where Swayze stood tall as Jed Eckert, no-nonsense leader of the Russkie-battlin' Wolverines.

There are no bad choices here, but I'm going straight to the epitome of Swayze cool and throwing in one of the most entertaining movies ever made: ROAD HOUSE. Released in the spring of 1989, the Rowdy Harrington-directed masterpiece is a bone-snapping, booze-guzzling, throat-extracting tutorial in the art of cooling - and it's hard to imagine it working as wonderfully as it does with anyone but Swayze in the lead. Cast Jean Claude Van Damme, and it would've been completely silly (and made for half the budget); go with Steven Seagal, and it would've been downright creepy. But with Swayze, there's a strange, goofy sweetness that keeps the film from being a sleazy wallow in gratuitous violence.

And that's what I liked most about Swayze: there was almost always a good-natured goofiness to every character he brought to life. Whether cast as a gruff older brother, a badass minor league hockey player or a no-nonsense trucker, Swayze would imbue these people with a lightness and an innate kindness that other action movie stars of his era couldn't quite summon.

In talking with people who worked with Swayze over the years, this was evidently who he was: a nice, generous, kinda goofy guy. All you have to do is turn on cable news this evening to see that these qualities are in short supply nowadays. We could all stand to be a little more like Swayze. We could all work a little harder at being... nice.

Until it's time...
Some video of one of best Manly movies Roadhouse

Dirty Dancing final Dance Time of My life

Red Dawn & Ghost Point Break thee movies that made him great Ghost with Demi Moore hot movie scene Unchained Melody song

Last edited by Logan; 09-14-2009 at 09:33 PM
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:05 PM
Elite Fan

R.I.P Patrick Swayze.

You'll always be Johnny Castle & Sam Wheat to me.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Such a shame.
growing up. moving on.
allybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:11 AM
Elite Fan

I can't belive it. He was my first crush when I was a kid. Watching him play Johhny Caste was a huge moment for me. To watch him dance was to watch magic.

I'm incredibley saddened to know that he is gone but respect the strength that he kept till the end.

My thoughts go out to his family. May he rest in peace..
Old 09-15-2009, 12:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

OMG I can't believe it! he was one of my favorite actor! I loved Ghost so much, this movie was so beautiful! I was listening to the movie song yesterday again!

and Diry Dancing of course!

May he rest in peace!

Tears of an Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Such sad news. My thoughts are with his family.

Kat | icon |
silver lining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:55 AM
Elite Fan

thanks for this thread, it´s such a shame
TessShipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:52 AM
Elite Fan

This is sad.

/ I'll add the thread to the Board Guide.
Ghost.Of.You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

This is really sad, I knew it was coming, but it's still sad

I love his movies and have been watching my Dirty Dancing DVD esp. the dance, which is mesmerizing.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:08 AM
Loyal Fan

I'm so shocked and sad. Always believed in a miracle He was so great in "North and South", "Dirty Dancing" and other movies...
Old 09-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Rip Patrick Swayze <3

HE died september 14th
I jsut thought id make a topix for him since he doesnt have any forum on here, i think its soo sad really, ive like grown up wathing his movies they're amazing..
HE will always be remembered and loved <3

LOS ANGELES — Patrick Swayze, the hunky actor who danced his way into moviegoers' hearts with "Dirty Dancing" and then broke them with "Ghost," died Monday after a battle with pancreatic cancer. He was 57.

"Patrick Swayze passed away peacefully today with family at his side after facing the challenges of his illness for the last 20 months," his publicist, Annett Wolf, said in a statement Monday evening. Swayze died in Los Angeles, Wolf said, but she declined to give further details.

Fans of the actor were saddened to learn in March 2008 that Swayze was suffering from a particularly deadly form of cancer. He kept working despite the diagnosis, putting together a memoir with his wife and shooting "The Beast," an A&E drama series for which he had already made the pilot.

Swayze said he opted not to use painkilling drugs while making "The Beast" because they would have taken the edge off his performance. The show drew a respectable 1.3 million viewers when the 13 episodes ran in 2009, but A&E said it had reluctantly decided not to renew it for a second season.

When he first went public with the illness, some reports gave him only weeks to live, but his doctor said his situation was "considerably more optimistic" than that. Swayze acknowledged that time might be running out given the grim nature of the disease.

"I'd say five years is pretty wishful thinking," Swayze told ABC's Barbara Walters in early 2009. "Two years seems likely if you're going to believe statistics. I want to last until they find a cure, which means I'd better get a fire under it."

C. Thomas Howell, who costarred with Swayze in "The Outsiders," "Grandview U.S.A." and "Red Dawn," said: "I have always had a special place in my heart for Patrick. While I was fortunate enough to work with him in three films, it was our passion for horses that forged a friendship between us that I treasure to this day. Not only did we lose a fine actor today, I lost my older `Outsiders' brother."

Other celebrities used Twitter to express condolences, and "Dirty Dancing" was the top trending topic for a while Monday night, trailed by several other Swayze films.
Heidsdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Here is the cover of this Weeks Entertainment weekly's Tribute to Patrick

So many tribute from all over the world . Glad he was able to do a short lived TV series,this past TV season . At least the younger fans got to see him perform .

RIP You're legacy will live on
Old 07-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Loyal Fan

So sad for a man like him who would have been 60 this year.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:24 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Old 04-04-2014, 08:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Has it really been 5 years since Swayze died? Wow time flies

Join: Sophie Turner, Brittany Snow and Daisy Ridley

#HoldTheDoor, Hodor
King of Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top