Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2004, 12:01 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by DeppsDoll:
When are the Oscars? The beginning of March right?
I think they're Feb 29 but don't quote me... I could have made that up.

the artist formerly known as [stardevi]
Old 02-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
No other actor, and I mean no other actor could have done with the role what Johnny did.
A very valid point. I remember reading the screenplay for POTC and thinking "wow, jack sparrow is a very different character". It wasn't really that it was worse... just different. Maybe not as good, but definately not bad at all. Most other actors would see that role, think "wow, what a great character!" and give it exactly what the script asked. But not Johnny. He saw the character and thought "this has a lot of potential" and completely extended it, adding an edgy, risky, but ultimately successful spin to it. Not other actor would have taken that risk. Maybe someone else might have tried to improve on it in some way, but to take it to the level that Johnny took it too? I just don't see it. When you consider what the role originally called for, you can easily see that Johnny went way above and beyond the call of duty. But that's just me, an anxious fangirl who desperately wants to see the man I admire make a farce of something as snooty as the oscars (but that's another story).

ANYHOO.... I have a little bit of a topic starter idea. All this talk about Johnny movies has got me thinking. If you had to try and convince a non Johnny fan of Johnny's brilliance and beauty, which film(s) would you show them? And why?

My choices:

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - this is one of my favourite roles, I think his funniest. And despite the fact that he's trying to look gross, I still see an incredibly sexy creature. Not sure how to explain it, but something about his role just... captures me. If that's the right word I'm looking for.

Don Juan De Marco - I feel is his sexiest role. I mean, Johnny Depp playing the world's greatest lover? 'Nuff said. Not that it's much of a stretch [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]. Heh. I should hope. Definitely melt-worthy.

Pirates of the Caribbean - of course. I think it shows his versatility as an actor, to be able to portray a character like this, and pull it off so bloody well! Plus, to be funny and hot and evil all at the same time? It's almost too much to handle.

I would have also liked to include the Ninth Gate or Edward Scissorhands, but I wanted to keep it to three. Ok, so anyone else have a list?

[img]smilies/sail_boat.gif[/img] Claire

You guys are so unhip it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!
Old 02-06-2004, 01:23 AM
Addicted Fan

Good question, Claire!

I would go with... Sleepy Hollow, Benny & Joon and Fear & Loathing. PotC and Edward Scissorhands were difficult to pass up, but I feel those three are different enough roles, not too way out there wacky, either, to prove his talent and versatility without making him seem like he can only do crazy roles. I really agree with your choices, too, though. Don Juan was not an easy character to play, not at all.

Old 02-06-2004, 01:37 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by stardevi:
I really agree with your choices, too, though. Don Juan was not an easy character to play, not at all.
You know, a part of me pictured Zorro when I first saw Don Juan [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]. Although Don Juan, I feel, is more smooth, romantic, and persuasive. But I agree, that isn't an easy feat. Yes, he can pull off a mask, too! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2004, 03:59 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by purple monkey dishwasher:
Although Don Juan, I feel, is more smooth, romantic, and persuasive. But I agree, that isn't an easy feat. Yes, he can pull off a mask, too! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Ha! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of making his character sympathetic and plausible. I mean, to an extent, he is playing a deluded twenty-something man with wild stories, an antiquated romanticism and charm that do not go over well in today's macho and blunt society. But instead of wondering about his sanity or why he was dressed so odd, you found yourself falling in love with him and never questioning his sanity, behaviour or wardrobe!

Old 02-06-2004, 11:57 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by purple monkey dishwasher:
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - this is one of my favourite roles, I think his funniest. And despite the fact that he's trying to look gross, I still see an incredibly sexy creature. Not sure how to explain it, but something about his role just... captures me. If that's the right word I'm looking for.
Hee hee. Johnny has tried a couple times to be ugly, in ES and (he said it) OUATIM. He said something like:
"Sands is a sleezball. A horrible, ugly human being." I was like, I don't think he's ugly! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

My three would have to be Benny & Joon, Fear & Loathing and POTC or Edward Scissorhands. That's such a hard call, all his characters are so great.

Oh and stardevi- love your signiture. One of my favorite parts in B&J. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2004, 12:10 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Grrr... I did have this long post that I was going to post on here, but I losted what I had. So on Monday, I will post it on here. If I remember, have a good Johnny Marathon this weekend
Old 02-06-2004, 12:13 PM
Obsessed Fan

Johanna- first of all, LOVE the av [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]. And secondly, you're so right! Even when he tries to be ugly, he still manages to be sexy. I guess it's true what they say about real beauty being on the inside [img]smilies/look.gif[/img].

stardevi - ah, well that's true too. I especially enjoyed the transformation (or fake transformation) at the end. I just sort of stood back and said "oh... ok. Well he has me convinced."

Old 02-06-2004, 12:15 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah... that sounds right about how you portay some one ugly, but you still come out looking sexy
Old 02-06-2004, 05:44 PM
Obsessed Fan

Ooo very good question.

I think I'd go with

Benny and Joon- This was a great movie and ya know what? It works for all ages. This movie turned my sister into a fan already. Sad thing is she's only 9. By the time she figures out how old he is and how far apart they are, she'll be older and so will he and im not quite sure what my point of babbling this is so ill move on.

Pirates of the Caribbean- Simply for the obvious reason taht he transformed it. He made the character alive and just cooler, for lack of a better word.

Edward Scissorhands- This was just a strange strange movie but I think he did extraordinarily well with the whole concept It can't have been easy playing a guy with scissors for hands, plus it had an emotional aspect. This movie shows his ability as an actor as well as his versatility.

-Audrey Hepburn
Old 02-07-2004, 02:04 AM
PerfectlyPoisonous

My favourites would have to be...

Chocolat: Such a sweet movie, and Jonny was adorable in it! [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]

Sleepy Hollow: I loved this movie. He always plays the quirky characters so well.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Made the whole movie worth watching for me! [img]smilies/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Old 02-07-2004, 11:08 AM
Master Fan

[img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]

Pirates Of The Caribbean - Without him the movie would not have been what it is.

Don Juan De Marco - Was the cutest thing ever.

Ed Wood - His transformation in this movie was beautiful. Never would i have thought he could do such a job. I loved it.

Sofa
you're like the cold December snow in the warm July sun
icon by querita @ livejoural
Old 02-07-2004, 02:47 PM
Obsessed Fan

Oh i forgot about sleepy hollow. oh well, 4 is a bit much and i still like my list. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

-Audrey Hepburn
Old 02-07-2004, 05:54 PM
Addicted Fan

Hey guys! We're talking about the movies we'd show others to try to seduce more to the JD cause. Strangely, or not, I guess my three movies would be rather different from my actual favourites.

Old 02-08-2004, 12:45 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Angel_Demoness ~ I know that I said that I was going to have a Johnny marathon this weekend, but this just went really bad. For some reason I totally think that it was fate/destiny or somethnig that made this week/weekend so bad for me. At the beginning of the week it was that I was suppose to go see ROTK yesterday for my b-day, but no I had to mess things up there. So then I decided that I was just going to watch the UPN movie on Friday, and tape Joan/Jag. So I could watch them on Saturday, and then later on get OAUTIM if the place had it. But then my friend was going to bring her DVD over, so we could have a Johnny marathon with POTC and other movies. But again I screwed that up and the movies. But the thing with the UPN movie is that I asked my friend to tape it for me with the Alien movies, and guess what her tape broke on her. Is it fate or what. So I was left with nothing, but my mom still let me watch the movies that were on TV yesterday, and let me go to the library.

Anyways, if I am good she is going to let me Tape G.I Jane tonight, and I will watch that on Tuesday. So if I am good all this week I am going to see ROTK next Saturday, and have a Viggo marathon that weekend. But if things go right I can have my Johnny marathon the weekend after, but I get at least one Johnny movie this week, if my mom lets me tape it on Thursday. Benny & Joon is on Family channel at 9pm, I am going to tape it and watch it on Friday

Claire ~ I think that it was your last post on the other page that you were talking about how Johnny is such a unique actor and all. I want to add my opinion to that. I do agree, I do think that he is such a great actor. He doesn't care about things, and he actors because he likes too. I think that most of his roles no one else could have played that role, because he adds so much to the characters. He goes so far to make the character the way he thinks best, look at his great job with POTC. Without him doing so good with his character, the movie wouldn't have been that good. I have this interview thing with him and I like how he was saying that he thought that he was going to get kicked off the movie Sleepy Hollow, because he had made the character like a teenage girl. I just think that he is a very good actor, and he is my all time fave actor. Before I didn't have any actualy faves, but I think I have it down to 5 faves

[ 02-08-2004: Message edited Enterprise_Girl ]
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top