Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Film's threesome proves troublesome

Kevin Bacon, Colin Firth and Rachel Blanchard have a wild ménêge ê trois in their new film, "Where the Truth Lies." But how much of their three-way will you get to see?
Director Atom Egoyan and ThinkFilm execs are wrestling with the MPAA ratings board over whether the film should get an NC-17 or the preferable R.

Word is the ratings sheriffs have gotten hung up on four scenes in the movie, based on Rupert Holmes' novel about a journalist trying to find the truth behind the breakup of a famed comedy team years before.

A lesbian sex scene - featuring a woman dressed as Alice in Wonderland - was less troubling than Blanchard's trifecta romp with Bacon and Firth, who play the comic duo loosely based on Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin. The next morning, Blanchard is found dead in the hotel room.

The "Sweet Hereafter" director writes in SLM magazine that the MPAA is concerned with "the actual number of thrusts seen." Before shooting his actors, he recalls, "I resorted to playing with dolls, trying to figure out angles and configurations." But in the end, he couldn't disguise the sexual mechanics.

"I needed these scenes to feel lurid and unbridled," says the Oscar-nominee and four-time Cannes Film Festival prize winner.

Having promised producer Robert Lantos an R, Egoyan has continued whacking away at the offending scenes.

But one insider tells us, "The mystery of the girl's death hinges on that scene. If he cuts any more, the audience won't know what happened."

ThinkFilm is due to get a verdict on the latest edit this week. If the NC-17 sticks, the company could appeal, or it could release "Where the Truth Lies" without a rating, as it did with its raunchy comedy "The Aristocrats."

It's safe to say the movie is a departure for Blanchard, that sweet girl from TV's "7th Heaven." She admits her boyfriend "cringed" when he saw her triple-header - partly because "he would suffer endless taunts of 'One degree of Kevin Bacon!'"
Sasha
Old 08-16-2005, 10:40 PM
Dedicated Fan

oh WOW. that will prove verry interesting.... thanks for the article Sasha!

Michelle

[Icon: eyesthatslay]
Old 08-18-2005, 12:07 AM
Fan Forum Star

Day #4 - Hope Springs

Sasha
Old 08-20-2005, 01:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

Day #5 - Hope Springs

Sasha
Old 08-21-2005, 12:31 AM
Fan Forum Star

Very interesting
Old 08-21-2005, 01:04 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Bridget Jones is Back

Renee Zellweger may be with Kenny Chesney but the character she so-vividly brought to life, Bridget Jones, is no longer with her Mr. Darcy.

Bridget's mother, author Helen Fielding, has gone back to her roots and revived a Bridget column for UK's The Independent.

Though Jones and Darcy were still smitten by the end of Bridget Jones: The Edge Of Reason, the couple has since parted ways and our Bridget's as unlucky in love as ever.

Click here to read the latest installment of Fielding's new weekly column. (subscription required)
Quote:
Bridget Jones's Diary

'We are now going to late-night chemist to purchase completely pointless pregnancy test'
Published: 18 August 2005
Wednesday 17th August

Eggs left: 0 probably. Years left till can no longer have children: 0. Percentage by which likelihood of having children decreases daily: 500. Minutes spent thinking about Meera Syal: 4,000

Article Length: 1017 words (approx.)
Sasha
Old 08-21-2005, 04:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Aww, poor Bridget. I'm gonna miss Darcy.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:58 AM
Dedicated Fan

awww no mr. darcy's gone? poor bridge...darcy's such a catch. definitely miss him but I'm sure it will make for some good reading!

thanks for the update Sasha...& all the caps from Hope springs. I think I need Darcy marathon now that school's done for the summer

Michelle

Old 08-22-2005, 07:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

Day #6 - Hope Springs: He's crying.

Threesome!

Sasha
Old 08-22-2005, 11:03 PM
Dedicated Fan

aww colin's crying!! he's so good at playing angst...its incredible how one look just tugs at the heart strings! Thanks again Sasha for the caps although I cant view the "threesome" caps...

I just watched The Importance of Being Earnest and Colin was so hilarious in it!! The parallels to P&P/Austen-in-general are uncanny though. I was surprised to see Frances O'Connor in it, who played Fanny Price in Mansfield Park---and Dame Judi Dench who will play Lady Catherine in the upcoming P&P. Colin was so cute....I love him in a good suit I think his comedic acting is underrated...he's daring and brilliant!!

Michelle

Old 08-22-2005, 11:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

Direct link to the pics from the threesome post here and here.

Sasha
Old 08-23-2005, 09:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow, this is gonna be intresting

Thx for posting all those linls Sasha
Old 08-24-2005, 06:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

Day #7 - Hope Springs

Quote:
Where the Truth Lies Slapped with NC-17
Source: THINKFilm
August 23, 2005

THINKFilm announced today that the company will appeal the Motion Picture Association of America's (MPAA) "NC-17" rating of the suspense filled mystery, Where the Truth Lies. Academy-Award- nominated writer-director Atom Egoyan will speak on behalf of the film at the upcoming appeal. An "NC-17" rating from the MPAA restricts access to the film to audiences under the age of 17. An appeal date is being set.

THINKFilm chairman Robert Lantos, who is also the film's producer, notes: "'Where the Truth Lies' is a sophisticated and intelligently provocative film. The NC-17 rating will unfairly limit people's access to it because of the number of theaters in America which will not play an NC-17 rated film. This film stars some of the most talented actors in the movies today, is based on a popular mainstream novel and is written and directed by a filmmaker known for his artistic integrity and achievement. The film has not encountered this kind of restrictive rating anywhere else in the free world. Only in America will many be deprived of access to it."

The film tells the story of what happens during a ménage a trios that leads to a girl's death and it is the ménage a trois scene which has yielded the NC-17 rating. Continues Lantos, "This scene is done using a single sustained mastershot in order to allow the actors the most conducive environment for intimacy and intensity, and in order to best communicate what happens in the film's pivotal scene. It cannot be cut without compromising the central scene of the narrative and thus rendering the mystery of the film incomprehensible. It remains more than a bit absurd to me that this scene would garner an R if shot exactly the same but from just torso up, but becomes an NC-17 because the mastershot reveals full bodies."

In Where the Truth Lies, based on Rupert Holmes' acclaimed novel of the same name, Kevin Bacon and Colin Firth star as Lanny Morris and Vince Collins, the country's hottest entertainment duo. Lanny and Vince are knee deep in all the wealth and power that comes with such fame. That is, until a beautiful girl (Rachel Blanchard) turns up naked and dead in the pair's hotel suite after a night of wild partying. Years later, an intrepid reporter (Alison Lohman) sets out to discover what happened that night, only to be lured into the seductive games of these men.

The film received its world premiere at Cannes this year and will have its North American premiere as an official gala of the 2005 Toronto Film Festival. Where the Truth Lies marks the sixth collaboration between Atom Egoyan and Golden Globe nominated producer Robert Lantos. The film is scheduled to be released on October 14 in New York and Los Angeles, with a national expansion on October 21.
Sasha
Old 08-25-2005, 11:09 AM
Dedicated Fan

wowwwww...thats some crazy stuff. definitely interesting....

thanks for the info and caps sasha!!

Michelle

Old 08-26-2005, 04:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Heres a new Mark/Bridget video to the song " Songbird" I hope you all like

Songbird
My LJ
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top