Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Jared in SPN 5x20 "The Devil You Know" Episode Discussion

The Devil You Know
April 29, 2010
The CW

The demon Crowley (guest star Mark Sheppard) tells Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) he can help them find the remaining Horsemen rings so they can trap Lucifer. The brothers are doubtful until Crowley leads them to Brady (guest star Eric Johnson), the Handler for Pestilence (guest star Matt Frewer) and Death. However, Brady refuses to give up their locations and sets Pestilence after the Winchesters. Robert Singer directed the episode written by Ben Edlund

Official Site
HappySquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Master Fan

TFTNT! Go Eric!
LH-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

So excited
Old 04-29-2010, 12:24 AM
Master Fan

Only 20.5 hours to go!
Old 04-29-2010, 07:18 AM
Elite Fan

Sounds like a hard one for Sammy, given the preview clips.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Master Fan

10.5 hours to go!
Old 04-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Fan Forum Star

So excited. And I don't have to work tomorrow morning so I can watch it tonight!
Old 04-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelface211 (View Post)
So excited. And I don't have to work tomorrow morning so I can watch it tonight!
Awesome!
Old 04-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

HappySquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:23 PM
Master Fan

OMFG that was badass!!
Old 04-30-2010, 08:05 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yes it was very badass!

OMG I can't believe it.
I was so disappointed in Dean again, I can't believe he was trusting Crowley. I don't care if he was helping them or not. After all the crap he gave Sam about trusting Ruby to turn around and trust a demon, bad idea. His endgame will always be all about him.

Sam was amazing in this episode, he almost let his vengence get better of him with Brady but I wouldn't have been mad if he did. This guy started everything, if Sam had never met Jess then she would have never died and he never would have gone back to hunting, he would be living the life that he always wanted to a normal one but Brady ruined all his chances for that and I'm surprised Sam had enough self control to wait til the end to kill him. Brady deserved to die I'm so glad that he did that.

But Sam come on your plan to get Lucifier back into his cage while its a nice idea, it just won't work. I know Sam has complete good intentions and he doesn't care to sacrifice himself for that but it just won't work. Lucifer is too strong I just don't beleive that Sam would be able to handle it. It would be great if that would work I just don't feel that it would
Old 04-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Master Fan

OK Where do I begin.

1) First off - It had the right amount of extemely subtle, very dark, bleak humor via Crowley. That is how 99% of the humor on SPN should be, except when it's an outright comedy episode.

2) Dean working with Crowley - I had my doubts about the whole thing too. The point is that Sam trusts Dean so much to do the right thing. Even though neither of the boys could trust Crowley, Sam could trust Dean.

3) Sam & Brady - Holy F! Wow that brought it all effing home, & was so magnificently played. One of the best developments in the series ever. & when Sam ganked him it was so...gah...because his friend was still in the body somewhere. Sam must have thought he was really saving his friend & showing extreme mercy by just killing his body.

4) The Hell Hound Battle - OMFG. Physical effects like that always work better than CGI.

Jared was so amazing! But so was Jensen. They were so both in the effing zone!!!!! It was funny to see Jensen face to face with Eric because Jensen was basically Eric's quasi-replacement on Smallville. Mark S. - I've been watching the guy for like 17 years (guest star on the 1st season of X-Files), & he never ceases to amaze.

The overall feeling of the episode was so explosive. It's like it was SPN on crack.

Last edited by LH-C; 04-30-2010 at 09:15 AM
Old 04-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Fan Forum Star

I agree LC! It was so freakin amazing!

The Brady storyline was the best development ever. I was not expecting that at all, I was totally thrown off guard. It just brought everything back around full circle and it was handled perfectly.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:42 PM
Passionate Fan

I agree with you all that this was so badass!!!

I like this episode very much. My only complaint is that it runs to fast....smile.

Bobby was really awesome in this episode - except of the ending of course. But his talk with Sammy was so great.

Crowley I don´t like him at all and I don´t trust him at all and I don´t get why Dean did it. (Or Bobby!)

But the best part of this episode was Sam and Jared!!!
OMG what really amazing acting on Jareds part in this.

I guess I am in the minority but I love his talk with Bobby over the phone.
I don´t think he is jugding Dean - he is a dissapointed that they doesn´t work as a team again.
That Dean choose Crowley over Sam.

I don´t get it why Dean let Crowley dictated the rules on this mission. Both of them must know by now that Separation from each other doesn´t work well for them.
I am only glad that he was able to get out of Bradys office alive. He was lucky!!!

Dean called Bobby before and told him how he felt and what was going on in his mind. And everyone was saying that it was a great scene and cute.
And now Sam does the exact same thing - and everyone is complaining that he is whiny.
For me he was not whiny he was heartbroken and at the end of his strength.

I didn´t like that he put Dean in the bathroom without a way out of it. I was pretty mad at him for doing that.
But after that I was proud of him again. Sure he was angry and his wish for revenge came to the surface in no time.
I don´t blame him for that, after all what Brady told him - but he was able to regain control over himself at the ending and that is what matters the most.

And I really really love the ending where Dean and Sam were working together again.
Sam got the chance to kill Brady and Dean let it happen - even more he supported him with it.

I find it really interesting what Brady says to Sam at the end. Maybe he was right with some of it.
"Your hell is here on earth" and Sams response "Interesting theory" I believe that he really thinks so. That on some parts it is really living in hell on earth for Sam some times.
And that thought breaks my heart for Sammy!!! And when he walks away and the Look on Deans face is killing me for sure.
Both Jared and Jensen did a great job in that scene.

I think that this is truly important for Dean to witness and hear this. I believe it is a eye opener for Dean as it was for Sam with Dean throwing away the amulet.
He sees and hears how Sam feels deep inside of himself.

Whoever took this photo in my avatar please let me know and I give you credit for it.
sunny214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

I don't think Sam was being whiny at all and I can't beleive that people are saying that. ill never understand why people can justify every single thing that Dean does and then when Sam does the same thing there's always something wrong with it he's always being whiny or betraying his brother but never with Dean.

I felt that Dean was betraying his brother in a way in this episode after everything that just happened and Dean saying that they would work together to win the war Dean goes off with Crowley and does whatever he tells him to do and it almost gets him killed. I hope he learned his lesson.

Bobby was amazing in this ep as always and I loved him telling crowley no but I have a feeling he will give in just because he feels he has nothing to offer to help save the world and this would be the only way he could contribute to it.