Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-27-2010, 04:38 AM
New Fan

Ugly Betty: Trendsetter or Fashion Follower?

Hello UB fans!

I'm a year 12 student from the UK and as part of my A levels I have to do the EPQ award. This extended project is where I have to write a 5,000 word essay about a subject of my choice. My choice is Ugly Betty and my title is the thread title. (Ugly Betty: Trendsetter or Fashion Follower?)
As part of my research I am conducting a focus group where I'm trying to find what fans think - this is what has bought me here.
So, if you would like, I would really appreciate if you could answer the question (doesn't need to be pages long, a simple statement and a couple of reasons why would be fabulous). Also, with each person's permission I would like to use your usernames as I think it would be more structured in my essay than "one person thought that", "another person stated that". I will not be using ANY personal information other than the username with permission.

Here's the template you could use if you like:
Permission to use Username?:
Trendsetter or Fashion Follower?:
Why?:

Thank you even for reading all of this and your responses will make my essay rich with views of REAL fans which will help me immensely
Old 03-02-2010, 12:45 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahLouise (View Post)
Hello UB fans!

I'm a year 12 student from the UK and as part of my A levels I have to do the EPQ award. This extended project is where I have to write a 5,000 word essay about a subject of my choice. My choice is Ugly Betty and my title is the thread title. (Ugly Betty: Trendsetter or Fashion Follower?)
As part of my research I am conducting a focus group where I'm trying to find what fans think - this is what has bought me here.
So, if you would like, I would really appreciate if you could answer the question (doesn't need to be pages long, a simple statement and a couple of reasons why would be fabulous). Also, with each person's permission I would like to use your usernames as I think it would be more structured in my essay than "one person thought that", "another person stated that". I will not be using ANY personal information other than the username with permission.

Here's the template you could use if you like:
Permission to use Username?:
Trendsetter or Fashion Follower?:
Why?:

Thank you even for reading all of this and your responses will make my essay rich with views of REAL fans which will help me immensely
Permission to use Username?: Yes.
Trendsetter or Fashion Follower?: Trendsetter
Why?: Her style is unique to say the very least and she's not afraid to mix clashing prints and colours when everyone else at Mode is dressed in the latest trends of the time. For example, this picture (quickly found on google) shows Amanda in a monochrome style outfit which is still 'in' this season:
Old 03-02-2010, 01:00 PM
New Fan

I just had to sign up to disagree with Mark (invis kid). We've discussed Betty's fashion choices before but have never came to an agreement.

Permission to use Username?: Yes.
Trendsetter or Fashion Follower?: Fashion Follower
Why?: Her transformation for series 4 was a big step towards being more fashion aware.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Master Fan

Wow. This topic got two new people to sign up and comment. Okay, I'll add my own two cents even though I'm not very fashion saavy.

Permission to use Username?: Sure. Call me 'Vesta' (leave out the veil. )

Trendsetter or Fashion Follower?: Trendsetter.

Why?: When I say she's a trendsetter, I tend to think of the way she's affected fashion outside the actual show. I don't remember where I saw it but I think there was an article about some kind of fashion show that used the clashing color patterns and layers that Betty is known for. Personally I've seen a lot of quirky styles and outfits here in New York that's one wide belt or clunky pair of shoes away from being a veritable Betty original.

As for within the show itself, maybe she's not so much a trendsetter or a follower but something in between. The episode(s) where Amanda and Betty are room mates show how Amanda adopts Betty's style (with some slight alterations) into something trendy. And while Betty's been toning down the colorful outfits every season, she's still representing her own style. The mix of her confidence in wearing the clothes she loves along with the fashion tips she's learned makes for an unlikely fashion icon that may just have her own set of devoted followers (how ever many they may be, and myself included. )