Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Master Fan

Episode 4x05 - "Plus None" Discussion Thread

Plus None
Friday November, 6th 2009

Matt asks someone to be his 'plus one' at Wilhelmina's fundraiser. Daniel hires Natalie to be his assistant making Betty feel obsolete. Amanda keeps a secret from Betty. Daniel discovers that his mother has a history with Cal Hartley.

Promo

Promo Pics

Old 11-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

TFTNT Hestia love the promo & the pics

Mandylicious/Mattylicious
Old 11-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Supreme Fan

I can't wait for tonight's episode.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Sounds great
Old 11-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Master Fan

I gotta admit, goth girl Natalie cleans up really well but the date I wanna see is the one with Matt and (possibly) Amanda. (It's crazy how quickly those two went from awkward date set-up to Mandylicious and Mattylicious! )
Old 11-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Supreme Fan

We have a half a hour before Ugly Betty comes. *pawns*
Old 11-07-2009, 12:04 AM
New Fan

This was a really jangly episode. Unsettling, nervous-making, everybody's roles felt all wrong. It wasn't a bad episode or anything--not like some where I've turned off the TV thinking it was crappily written. This one had some emotional heft because everybody's relationships--except those among the Suarezes--were all wrong. If there was an episode theme, I'd say it was deceit. Nico blackmailing her mother. Natalie crowbarring Daniel and Betty. Amanda's secret from Betty. Claire's secret from Daniel and Cal. Add to that Betty's loneliness while being surrounded by people and the warmth that's usually all over Ugly Betty wasn't there tonight--or when it was there, it was awkward and loaded, like between Betty and Amanda, like when Wilhelmina gave that speech, like when Betty apologized to Natalie but shot a little passive-aggression Daniel's way even while she clinked champagne glasses. I thought it was a worthy episode even though it was tense, and it showed character growth, both good and bad.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Master Fan

I'll have to agree on the "jangly episode" terminology. Though I would've also gone with drama-rama; this episode was chock full of it! Betty seemed to be getting the brunt of it but Daniel, Claire, and Wilhelmina had their fair share.

So we find out Nico is actually lying about the murder and trying to extort money from her mom? *gasp* Good plot twist! Man, those Slater women are stone cold. But seeing Wilhelmina trying to get dirt on the "detective" with Marc gave us some much needed hilarity (BTW, kudos on Marc for standing up to Wili when she wanted him to dig up dirt and kudos to her for finally coming clean to him and giving him a reason to help. )

Heartbroken, Deep Amanda makes me wanna go "aww". Our little fashionista has grown and found herself some feelings (the scene with her trying to set Betty up with Craigslist weirdos was funny if not awkward). Meanwhile, I didn't need to see Claire sucking face with Hartley but at least she finally kick started the search for her long lost son.

Now over on the "hit Betty where it hurts" category, she's heartbroken that Matt's finally moved on (finally) and jealous/upset that Daniel's replaced her with goth-turned-cult girl, Natalie. And once again Daniel acts kinda boneheaded (he was actually worse than Matt in this episode because he and Betty have been through much more than Matt and Betty.) but once again I'll attribute it to the grieving plus the cult's brainwashing powers that, let's face, are pretty strong if they can get Daniel to hug Wilhelmina like that.

The ending with Betty dancing by herself was nice – loved Hilda and Justin as Betty's pseudo-fairy godmothers, encouraging her to go to the party by herself (the Project Runway and the Hilda "putting on weight" last leason references were gold!

However, the promo for next week's episode nearly made me scream in horror. DELKO AND BETTY!?!?! Damnit, and here I thought his leaving CSI Miami would be for the better. (Plus I thought he was gonna share some connection with Hilda! Augh, he's too old for Betty and he's a womanizer who thinks way too highly of himself and his so-called machismo. And I mean his character of Delko on CSI Miami not whatever bad boy he's probably playing in next week's episode.)

My whole world has been turned upside down.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Part-Time Fan

I know that I am in the minority here but I am loving Matt this season. Last season not so much. This year they are giving him storylines and also he is looking good!!!
Old 11-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Great episode

I can't believe Nico's blackmailing her mother and that the supposedly dead boyfriend is pretending to be a detective. I hope Wilhelmina finds out what they're doing before she pays them any money

Amanda was so funny trying to find a guy for Betty to go with to the thing at Wilhelmina's

Am not liking Matt this season overall. He has his okay moments, but otherwise...

Can't wait for next episode
Old 11-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Fan

I really enjoyed this episode. Everyone was great .. loved the twist on Nico, wasn't expecting that. And I've always liked Matt so I'm glad that they are showing him in a good light now. I did like Natalie before but in this episode she annoyed me. And I was mad at Daniel on behalf of Betty .. very much so. She's always been there for him and yeah, it just wasn't cool. Plus, she's so recruiting him into a cult

Loved the last shot of Betty dancing alone. It was fabulous and so Betty. Also, loved the Justin and Hilda moments (that project runway line was golden !).

icon:goutdevodka
Old 11-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyJo (View Post)
I know that I am in the minority here but I am loving Matt this season. Last season not so much. This year they are giving him storylines and also he is looking good!!!
I agree! The haircut did wonders!

I hope Wilhelmina one-ups Nico.