Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2014, 05:42 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Hi, Chrissy! I hope you do stop by more, because we miss you here! Do you celebrate Halloween?

I think that rich kid who is friends with the clown is a real sicko, Lauren. And did you notice how AHS did a homage to the John Carpenter movie, Halloween, when he was stalking the housekeeper in a clown outfit? They showed him putting on the mask and picking up the knife, and the camera showed you everything through his eyes, just like in Halloween.

Was that really Jessica Lange signing?

I only hope they can reboot Ant Man, Lauren, because they're doing it all wrong. It's not the Avengers without Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne as Ant Man and The Wasp. And Tony Stark never created Ultron in the comics, Hank Pym did. Hank is the one who is into robotics and artificial intelligence. Tony doesn't do that stuff. He prefers human-based tech, like his Iron Man armor. The only reason they gave the Ultron storyline to Tony Stark is because of Edgar Wright's stupid Ant Man script that kept Hank and Janet out of the Avengers, which sucks. And yes, they did reboot Spider-Man, The Hulk, and the Fantastic Four, so anything's possible.

Well I hope you leave your phone on more often, Lauren.

Good news! Tabward might get her internet back sooner, and might be on next week.

And yes, we do need to Halloween this thread up! We need to start adding Halloween arts and gifs!
Old 10-28-2014, 06:16 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I don't even celebrate Halloween, but some people I know are partying up so I guess I'll join in. Nothing wrong with having fun. lol
Old 10-28-2014, 06:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

That's good, Tia. Anyone can celebrate Halloween.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes I do celebrate Halloween
Old 10-28-2014, 11:54 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryfan2006 (View Post)
Yes I do celebrate Halloween
That's awesome, Chrissy! Do you dress up in any costumes or go to parties? What are you gonna dress up as this year? I keep telling Lauren that she needs to come over to the USA and celebrate Halloween with us.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:51 AM
Fan Forum Legend

im scared tia cuz that promo looked like damon went through whatever without bonnie.... and about press releases have u read one tiny thing about them...

oh yeah for tvd the vampire thing was made me watch hehe well twi i love witch shows the mostest witches pwn vampsssss

i loveee ur icon chrissy did u know i got to meet misha collins

its funny u think ive seen halloween alex hahahahaha theres so many horror movies ive yet to see ive seen one halloween movie though just dont know the number of it

i think jessica really was singing cuz they legit put her song on itunes and its doing super well in the charts and i even purcahsed it as well as sarah paulsons song its been ****in stuck in my head all day

so this is all edgar wrights fault well if the movie ends up doing bad and im sure comic fans will let them know and complain about it there wont be any more movies and theyll prolly remake with a diff cast and take a much diff approach and include who was meant to be in it in the first place! im not even intrested in seeing it as a non comic reader though i think thats mainly everything uve saidabout it to put me off lol

itll prolly never happen alex actuallyyyyy if i end up getting a casual job this chrtimas ill be forced to leave it on always haha

thankgod for tabward

ok like i will pretty this thread up my friday or something its gonna be halloween SPOOKTACULARRRRRRRRRR

i dont celebrtae halloween either tia cuz its just not really celebrated in aus though i think thats starting to change ill know by this yr if i actually get trick or treaters at my door i just i wish we did cuz i absolutely love how its celebrated in america

alex what are u dressing up as i feel like uve answered this question on hotseat but i dont rememberrrrrrrrrrrrr

ive bolded ur names from where my msgs are about u guys instead of reply with qoutes cuz man this posts just gonna look like an essay lol
Old 10-29-2014, 01:42 PM
Master Fan

On WiFi at the farm. It will be back on Friday.
No onе's ever had me, not like you
Old 10-30-2014, 08:05 PM
Fan Forum Legend

awesomeeeee

ok so alex no watch this sat i got that extention and now im behind in my other assigment next week isholidays so ill be free i promiseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

happy halloween i cant pretty up the op my itns not working rpoplery too
Old 10-31-2014, 12:10 AM
Fan Forum Legend

HAPPY HALLOWEEN, EVERYONE!!!

That's okay, Lauren. I'll put my own stuff on here.

You need to see the original movie, Halloween, Lauren. Here are a few scenes:

I think I told you I wanted to dress up as Snake Plissken from Escape From New York, Lauren.

Giphy

We had better have a watch soon, Lauren. And I do hope Australia gets Halloween someday! You need to come here and see how we celebrate it!

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 10-31-2014 at 11:30 AM
Old 10-31-2014, 07:46 AM
Fan Forum Legend

i had no trick or treaters gues i have to eat all the candy chos mum bought for myself

and thanks alex i cant belive how many halloween smileys u found!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im so gonna add this to the op im so in the halloween mood now I LOVE SEEING ALL THE PUMKIN FACES EVEN THOUGHH i hate hate eatig pumppkins forever whats the significance of the jack o latern anyway?
oh yes thats right alex ! and are uuuuuuuuu

i like the last halloween gif the guy looks super creepy there mwhahahhaa

my ints working now soooooooo

HOP U AMERICANS HAVE A FANTASTIC SPOOKTACKULAR DAYYYYYYYYYYYY

Old 10-31-2014, 04:54 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Old 10-31-2014, 05:40 PM
Master Fan

Haha Adams Family
No onе's ever had me, not like you
Old 10-31-2014, 06:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

it was on the other night for me i wassuprised by how much i had forgotten about the movie but it is full of awesome hehe

tabward

how cute beyonce and son as janet and michael jackson~

Last edited by The Darkling; 10-31-2014 at 06:56 PM
Old 10-31-2014, 11:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Hey all, how was your Halloween? Mine was good, had work off so I relaxed and handed candy out so
Old 11-01-2014, 12:22 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Hey, Chrissy! My Halloween was good! I watched Halloween horror movies all day. I'm glad you got to relax.

Hi, Tabs! I remember The Addams Family. I hope you had a Happy Halloween!

Awww, no trick or treaters for you, Lauren? Well, it's not surprising, since you told me they don't do Halloween much in Aus. I didn't get any trick or treaters either because I live in an apartment. That's why I wanna move back to a house in the suburbs someday where all the trick or treaters are. But I guess this just means all the candy is for you!

Aus has a mandatory age limit of 16 for trick or treating, Lauren? That sucks. It's like that one guy said in that video I showed you about Aussies eating Twinkies and other American snacks, anything fun in Aus usually gets banned. You really need to come to the USA because there's no age limit here on having fun. You can dress up and come to the Halloween parties, ride the Haunted Hayrides, visit the Haunted Houses, and get a sugar high on candy.

I got all those smileys from that website I PM'd you about, Lauren. Just look back in your inbox. And that pic of Beyoncé and her son as Janet and Michael Jackson is just spooky.

Didn't I explain to you the history of the Jack o' Lantern back in 2009 on Twitter, Lauren? Well, I'll post this explanation for you:

Quote:
A jack-o'-lantern is a carved pumpkin, or turnip, associated chiefly with the holiday of Halloween and named after the phenomenon of strange light flickering over peat bogs, called will-o'-the-wisp or jack-o'-lantern. In a jack-o'-lantern, the top is cut off to form a lid and the inside flesh then scooped out; an image, usually a monstrous face, is carved out of the pumpkin's rind to expose the hollow interior. To create the lantern effect, a light source (such as a candle or tea light) is placed within before the lid is closed. This is traditionally a flame or electric candle, though pumpkin lights featuring various colors and flickering effects are also marketed specifically for this purpose. It is common to see jack-o'-lanterns on doorsteps and otherwise used as decorations during Halloween.

The term jack-o'-lantern is in origin a term for the visual phenomenon ignis fatuus (lit., "foolish fire") known as a will-o'-the-wisp in English folklore. Used especially in East Anglia, its earliest known use dates to the 1660s. The term "will-o'-the-wisp" uses "wisp" (a bundle of sticks or paper sometimes used as a torch) and the proper name "Will": thus, "Will-of-the-torch." The term jack-o'-lantern is of the same construction: "Jack of [the] lantern."

The origin of the term jack-o'-lantern carving is uncertain. The carving of vegetables has been a common practice in many parts of the world, with gourds being the earliest plant species domesticated by humans c. 10,000 years ago, primarily for their carving potential. Gourds were used to carve lanterns by the Maori over 700 years ago, with the Māori word for a gourd also used to describe a lampshade. There is a common belief that the custom of carving jack-o'-lanterns at Hallowe'en originated in Ireland, where turnips, mangelwurzel or beets were supposedly used. According to historian Ronald Hutton, in the 19th century, Hallowe'en guisers in parts of Ireland and the Scottish Highlands commonly used jack-o'-lanterns made from turnips and mangelwurzels. They were "often carved with grotesque faces to represent spirits or goblins". In these areas, 31 October to 1 November was known as Samhain and it was seen as a time when spirits or fairies were particularly active. Hutton says that they were also used at Hallowe'en in Somerset (see Punkie Night) during the 19th century. Christopher Hill also writes that "jack-o'-lanterns were carved out of turnips or squashes and were literally used as lanterns to guide guisers on All Hallows' Eve." Some claim that the jack-o'-lanterns originated with All Saints' Day (1 November)/All Souls' Day (2 November) and represented Christian souls in purgatory. Bettina Arnold writes that they were sometimes set on windowsills to keep the harmful spirits out of one's home.

An 1834 account of a Halloween night at a house in Ireland makes no mention of any jack-o'-lantern or carved vegetables acting as lanterns, However, the following year, the same publication carried a lengthy discourse of the legend of Jack the Lantern. Robert Burns does not mention them in his famous poem "Halloween". Thomas Johnson Westropp does not mention them in Folklore of Clare (1910) and an "internationally accepted authority on Irish folk tradition", Seán Ó Súilleabháin, does not mention them in Irish Folk Custom and Belief (1967).

There is however evidence that turnips were used to carve what was called a "Hoberdy's Lantern" in Worcestershire, England at the end of the 18th century. The folklorist Jabez Allies recalls: “In my juvenile days I remember to have seen peasant boys make, what they called a " Hoberdy's Lantern," by hollowing out a turnip, and cutting eyes, nose, and mouth therein, in the true moon-like style ; and having lighted it up by inserting the stump of a candle, they used to place it upon a hedge to frighten unwary travellers in the night."

The story of the jack-o'-lantern comes in many variants and is similar to the story of Will-o'-the-wisp retold in different forms across Western Europe, with variations being present in the folklore of Norway, Sweden, England, Ireland, Wales, Germany, Italy and Spain. An old Irish folk tale from the mid-19th Century tells of Stingy Jack, a lazy yet shrewd blacksmith who uses a cross to trap Satan. One story says that Jack tricked Satan into climbing an apple tree, and once he was up there Jack quickly placed crosses around the trunk or carved a cross into the bark, so that Satan couldn't get down.

Another version of the story says that Jack was getting chased by some villagers from whom he had stolen, when he met Satan, who claimed it was time for him to die. However, the thief stalled his death by tempting Satan with a chance to bedevil the church-going villagers chasing him. Jack told Satan to turn into a coin with which he would pay for the stolen goods (Satan could take on any shape he wanted); later, when the coin (Satan) disappeared, the Christian villagers would fight over who had stolen it. The Devil agreed to this plan. He turned himself into a silver coin and jumped into Jack's wallet, only to find himself next to a cross Jack had also picked up in the village. Jack had closed the wallet tight, and the cross stripped the Devil of his powers; and so he was trapped.

In both folktales, Jack only lets Satan go when he agrees never to take his soul. After a while the thief died, as all living things do. Of course, his life had been too sinful for Jack to go to heaven; however, Satan had promised not to take his soul, and so he was barred from hell as well. Jack now had nowhere to go. He asked how he would see where to go, as he had no light, and Satan mockingly tossed him an ember from the flames of Hades, that would never burn out. Jack carved out one of his turnips (which were his favorite food), put the ember inside it, and began endlessly wandering the Earth for a resting place. He became known as "Jack of the Lantern", or jack-o'-lantern.

Jack-o-lanterns were also a way of protecting your home against the undead. Superstitious people used them specifically to ward away vampires. They thought this because it was said that the jack-o-lantern's light was a way of identifying vampires and, once their identity was known, they would give up their hunt for you.

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 11-01-2014 at 12:43 AM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread