Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Moderator Support Team

Pre-Season Scouting Report: Speculations and Hopes For Season 3

Now that a Season 3 seems to be all but confirmed I figured it was time to kick this thread off.

From last night's FNL Panel at the Paley Fest.

Quote:
Cutting to the chase: Although the DirecTV deal is still not official, Katims said to expect some news "within two or three weeks." Even more promising, he referred to shooting new episodes in July, before quickly qualifying it with an "if the show returns." What would a DirecTV deal look like? Basically, FNL would air on NBC and DTV concurrently.
Quote:
What if?: Where does the story pick up "if" the show comes back? According to Katims, it's unclear. Most likely, the action would jump ahead to a new school year. As for "graduating" cast members or "incoming freshman," he maintained that he's devoted to his core cast, but added that there needs to be a balance between the authenticity of the show (i.e., people do leave high school, eventually) and its growth (move over, Taylor, there's a new hottie in town).
Quote:
Of football and young men: Regardless of where (and if) next season's plot picks up, there are a few things that are going to stay front and center, with football topping that list. Katims admitted the sport had been benched a little bit this year, but promised that would change next season. He also assured fans that the storyline surrounding Smash's transition to college will be told.
So, where do you guys think the show should pick up? Where things ended this season? Or the next school year as mentioned?

Are you happy to hear football will stay front and center or would you rather see less of it like Season 2?

Any wish list of actors to cast if we do see incoming freshman in Season 3?

What storylines would you guys like to see next season?

Discuss...........
Old 03-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Elite Fan

I got the impression from Paley that Katims wanted to keep playing with the Smash storyline from this season about where he went to college and graduated, so I'm more in favorite of starting S3 after the end of football season so we can still see Smash graduate.

It was funny that aside from Jason, Julie, Matt and Landry, we really can't tell who's in what grade.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:15 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
so I'm more in favorite of starting S3 after the end of football season so we can still see Smash graduate.
I'd like to see that too. If they jump in time, I don't want it to be as big a jump as between Season 1 and 2.

Quote:
It was funny that aside from Jason, Julie, Matt and Landry, we really can't tell who's in what grade.
I think that's on purpose so they change it up if need be.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Elite Fan

Minka started to wonder what grade Lyla was in. I think Tyra can thing the same thing, and Tim, too.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Dedicated Fan

I don't want to see as much of a jump in time from season one to season two either. I want to see some of the characters graduate and transfer to college.

Maybe we'll finally figure out what grade these guys are actually in, also!

"We are all out of cornflakes. F.U. Took me three hours to figure out that F.U. stood for Felix Unger!" - The Odd Couple
Old 03-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
So, where do you guys think the show should pick up? Where things ended this season? Or the next school year as mentioned?
I'd rather see things being picked up from where they left off, but I'm so happy it's coming back I'm not going to be too choosy

Quote:
Are you happy to hear football will stay front and center or would you rather see less of it like Season 2?
I'd love to see more football next season.

Quote:
Any wish list of actors to cast if we do see incoming freshman in Season 3?
I can't think of any right now, but one thing I really like about this show is that they usually get actors I haven't seen before.

Quote:
What storylines would you guys like to see next season?
More football, more Tyra/Landry, more Jason dealing with the pregnancy, more Smash dealing with college, more Matt/Julie, more Tim/Lyla/Chris, more Lyla, more Coach/Mrs Coach being their awesome selves. I want to see it all.

Quote:
I think that's on purpose so they change it up if need be.
You're probably right Mel.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
I'd rather see things being picked up from where they left off, but I'm so happy it's coming back I'm not going to be too choosy
True. But, Considering where we left off I'd still like to see us finish out the football season where we left off.........then we could get some of the football season aftermath and graduation stuff, etc. for those that are graduating (not that we really know is except for Smash )...........and then maybe do a time jump in the middle or latter part of the season and pick up with football season again.

Last edited by Enigma; 03-22-2008 at 07:58 PM
Old 03-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Elite Fan

I really love that idea Mel, hopefully they are keeping all possibilities in mind. I wonder if there are going to be others who graduate with Smash.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Moderator Support Team

I thought Tim, Lyla, Tyra, Smash were only one year behind Jason making them all seniors this year. But, maybe, they will have Smash be the only senior and Tim, Lyla, and Tyra will be seniors next season meaning they were only juniors this year. If Julie, Matt, and Landry were freshman in the first season that means they were sophomores this year and will be juniors next season. We know Tim, Lyla, Tyra are older than them, so either they were only a year older or they were two years older. The writers have some liberty with these 3 I guess as to whether to keep them in highschool as seniors next season or to have them already have graduated meaning they were seniors this year with Smash.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Elite Fan

Man they should really just let us know how old each of them are because this gets so complicated. I'm guessing they are keeping Tim, Lyla, and Tyra all in high school--just because I can't imagine them all graduating without mentioning anything this year that would make us think they were seniors. Lyla was talking about colleges, but she could still be a junior and preparing. Are we assuming Tim, Lyla, and Tyra are older than Matt, Landry, and Julie or did that come up? I'm seriously blanking and can't remember if we really know that for a fact.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Moderator Support Team

I'm assuming they will keep those 3 in highschool too though I don't think that was the original thing.

It could go either way. Nothing was specifically said about any of them being seniors. There was talk of colleges and rounding out their transcripts and stuff. But, that could have very easily have been juniors as well.

Tim, Lyla, Tyra are definitely older than Matt and Julie.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:05 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I'm assuming they will keep those 3 in highschool too though I don't think that was the original thing.
Me either, but that's okay because I want them to stay in high school for one more year.

What's the one thing you're hoping for most?
Old 03-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Moderator Support Team

Ohh, not sure. I'll have to think about that some more. Matt/Julie may not be my favorite ship of the show but I do love them and hope we see them find their way back to each other next season.

You?

ETA:
From Kristen (E!)
Quote:
Jordan in Philadelphia: I took your word for it, Kristin, and decided to check out Friday Night Lights. Bought the season-one DVD the other day, and I am officially hooked. Any news what's up with season three?
Yay! We love converts! Anyway, at the Paley Festival event for Friday Night Lights, show runner Jason Katims said it would be two or three weeks until an announcement was made, and that while they are talking to DirecTV, they are not only talking to DirecTV. Hmmm...Katims also spilled that they'd likely start season three at the beginning of a new year—meaning what happened between episode 15 of season two and the first episode of season three would be filled in as backstory.

Last edited by Enigma; 03-25-2008 at 05:26 PM
Old 03-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Elite Fan

I do want to see that. Probably the thing I'm most excited to see is Tyra and Landry's relationship (shocking I know ). But one thing I'm so curious about and anxious to see is how everything goes with Jason and the pregnancy.

It's awesome to see new fans out there. Thanks for bringing that over here.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Moderator Support Team

I figured.

More Jason period please.