Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Moderator Support Team

Friday Night Lights Season 4 DVD Discussion Thread

Quote:

Episode Guide
The 13 episodes from Season 4 are presented on 3 discs; if you haven't seen them, they all are more enjoyable without summaries (I'd advise not reading the summaries on the packaging). Airdates reflect the original DIRECTV airings:

1. East of Dillon (aired 10/28/09) Includes six deleted scenes totaling 7:57.
2. After the Fall (aired 11/4/09) Includes three deleted scenes totaling 4:41.
3. In the Skin of a Lion (aired 11/11/09) Includes one deleted scene totaling :50.
4. A Sort of Homecoming (aired 11/20/09) Includes one deleted scene totaling 1:30.

5. The Son (aired 12/2/09) Includes four deleted scenes totaling 5:12.
6. Stay (aired 12/9/09) Includes four deleted scenes totaling 4:56.
7. In the Bag (aired 12/16/09)
8. Toilet Bowl (aired 1/6/10) Includes two deleted scenes totaling 1:46.

9. The Lights in Carroll Park (aired 1/13/10) Includes two deleted scenes totaling 2:30.
10. I Can't (aired 1/20/10) Includes three deleted scenes totaling 4:34.
11. Injury List (aired 1/27/10) Includes one deleted scene totaling 1:21.
12. Laboring (aired 2/3/10) Includes four deleted scenes totaling 6:42.
13. Thanksgiving (aired 2/10/10) Includes seven deleted scenes totaling 6:37.

The DVD

Video:

The anamorphic 1.781 are faithful to the broadcast versions and intended look of the shows, which has always offered that "documentary like" look and feel. The show is visually dim, not very vibrant or colorful (it's bathed in autumn tones) and has plenty of grain. Close-ups reveal nice detail.

Audio:
The 5.1 track is also good; a few random lines of dialogue sometimes require concentration, but it's never a problem. The rear channels come to life the most in the game sequences, with modest sounds filling them out in the show's more predominant "quiet" sequences. Subtitles are available in English SDH.

"This show has the most honest moments as any other show on television...that's what I think TV lacks nowadays. There's not enough honest moments, and this show captures that."
- Michael B. Jordan
Extras:
A small but satisfying collection awaits, led by three short featurettes that makes the most of their time. Friday Night Lights...Camera, Action! (7:21) talks with the cast and crew (including executive producer Jason Katims) about the show's filming style, a unique experience for everyone involved. For the cast, phrases like "feel it and do it", "a dream for an actor", "It's really freeing" and "it's creative control" describe he unique atmosphere. "It's going to be tough going back to the real world after this," says Jesse Plemons. Adds Michael B. Jordan: "We just 'be'. We're just in our moment, and the camera captures that. (We also get to heat a quick word from my new favorite, Russell DeGrazier...whoo hoo!)

New Faces, New Places (7:32) focuses on the challenges the writers and actors faced breathing life to the new blood. Katims notes that with so many main cast members gone, it was time for a radical change--hence the move in schools, which allowed them to easily introduce new characters. The challenge was getting viewers to invest in them, so he tried to pair the four central newbies up with established characters in the story. This piece talks to the four new main actors save for Jurnee Smollett, and like the rest of the bonus features I wish it was longer (and I really wish we got to hear a lot more from Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton, who get minimal screen time). Still, I enjoy what we get--especially Matt Lauria's story about his audition.

Playbook (4:42) has the cast and football/stunt coordinator Justin Riemer talking about filming and choreographing the plays on the field. "You learn quite quickly that, 'No, I don't want to take a hit from a 260-pound ex-NFLer," says Taylor Kitsch. The segment also briefly explores the building of the new field.

Another great inclusion is the audio commentary form Katims on the season's first episode. It's a nice listen, although I wish he had a commentary partner to help out. He expands upon the challenges of the new season (especially writing the first episode), including integrating new characters, new developments and a new field--and how this season was basically reinventing the show, with the first episode almost being like its own pilot. He also talks about how the show tries to tackle some heavy issues in its own unique way, and praises the two leads: "Kyle and Connie have created a relationship that si just so sublime and beautiful and something that is a marriage that is just always compelling to watch, whether they're dealing with some big, big issue or whether they're dealing with whose turn it is to do the dishes. Anything that they do is interesting because the two of them have brought such a beauty to not only their own characters but to that relationship, and they honor that relationship so much."

The three Peter Berg Intros (totaling roughly 4 minutes) have the executive producer talking about his return to the directing chair (he helmed the first episode of the season, his first effort since directing the series pilot), the shooting style and the new season.

A total of 38 deleted scenes are also included (see Episode Guide above for more details). I really wish these could have just been added back into the episodes; while a few are wise cuts, most would have made great inclusions in the episodes (and some "connect the dots" better). It's a great collection. Having not seen the initial DIRECTV airings, I don't know if these were incorporated into longer episodes, or if any other material is missing. Trailers round out the package.

Final Thoughts:
I have a feeling I'm preaching to the choir here. If you're a FNL fan, you don't need me to tell you that Season 4 provides more of the utmost excellence we've come to expect. If you haven't checked it out yet, what are you waiting for? No other show come closes to provoking such passion, and this inspiring series is without parallel. Highly Recommended.
Click here to read the whole article.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Moderator Support Team

Deleted Scenes
East of Dillon
(Monday) Coach laying in bed listening to the radio about it being 5 days until kick off, etc. Tami walks in and asks him what he's doing..that it's the first day of school......he asks if she can write him a doctor's note....they bicker/banter.........call for Jules to help with Gracie who is crying a bit (in the other room). Tami tells Eric he should shave his scruff..it might make him feel better (more banter). Tami gets a call from Karen........something about battle lines.

(Tuesday) We see Billy pulling up in his truck to Riggins Garage........Tim is asleep in there. Covers his face. You see beer bottles by him. Billy kicks him and tries to wake him up.......says this is your place huh? Tim doesn't really say anything and Billy calls him a freaking moron. Billy goes to a drawer and gets a work shirt and throws it at him but he says don't think this makes you a partner..tells him that he gave that up the minute he left San Antonio.......says he'll have to work himself up the ladder.

Coach is in his office working on something. All the sudden you see someone pushing boxes in there. Coach looks at the guy and says I can't pay for that. The guy tells him he wants to be one of his assistant coaches.

(Wednesday) Some guy (Vince's friend) is strolling through Coach's house. Then you see Julie seeing him and she walks into the living room where we see several guys from the team. Landry is holding Gracie and says hi to Julie. Tami is by the patio door and says hi........Julie walks out to the patio where Eric is sitting and asks if there's a reason all the football players are there. He says they're doing laundry....the washing machine is broken. She sits down and asks him if he has been listening to the radio.........she says apparently everyone thinks Tami Taylor's daughter should be going to East Dillon. Tami pipes in and says I think you should stop listening to the radio. Julie is like that's your grat advice and Tami says that's my great advice..tells her it will blow over and to ignore it. Julie gets up to leave and is like how am I supposed to take a shower with all of them in the house. Coach says you don't need to take a shower with all the players in the house. Tami says she doesn't know and she's sorry....she's like just don't take one today. Julie sighs and walks away. Tami says the boys are going to overload the washer...coach yells for them not to overload the washer. More bicker/banter with Coach and Mrs. Coach and a little backrub. Then Vince walks up to the patio entry and says that the washer is broke. The look on Tami's face is funny. She's like dammit and walks to go see. Then Coach and Vince go at it about what setting Eric told him to put it on and whether he did or not. Coach tells him not to say another word......he made him look bad.

Tami is sitting in her office. Wade comes in and asks her if she has made a decision on the coin toss yet. He then tells Tami you do know I didn't chase after your husband's job don't you. he's like you might have some beef with the McCoys and that's understandable but I'm head coach now and you're the principal and we're going to have to work together. He then says I'd like to think we can be friends after all of this. She says they'll work together and she'll do the coin toss but to be clear they're not going to be friends..she says anything else...he says no, he'll see her Friday night and tells her to have a good day. She continues to give him a look as he walks away.

Julie is playing with Gracie in the front yard. Matt drives up. He gets out and says hi to Gracie and starts playing with her while Julie just looks at him. Julie calls him Matthew and says you're not earning brownie points playing cutsie with my sister. He smiles and says yeah and then says Julie I'm sorry......my art teacher told me I sucks and I guess I'm just frustrated or something. She looks at him and says are you frustrated by me. he says what, no, you're the best thing that ever happened to me. She smiles and they kiss. Totally adorable! She then tells him he doesn't suck..promise....and he laughs. They giggle and kiss again.

Sadly there's no way I can recap all of the deleted scenes............I just don't have time guys. But, I'll at least break down what deleted scenes there are and of who.......and if you want to inquire about a couple of them I can probably help you out.

After the Fall
1. Becky at school talking to the principal and doing the morning announcements
2. Tim goes to see Buddy about him maybe throwing some work their way (Buddy asks if Lyla knows he's back home but then says nevermind it's none of his business)
3. Good Billy/Tim scene talking about the baby/business, etc.

In The Skin of a Lion
1. Scene with Jess and her dad about her wanting to be on drill team.........and they talk football......a little tense

A Sort of Homecoming
1. Cute Julie/Tami scene in the grocery store with them talking.....mentions Matt is hunting........talks about her and Devin going to a gay bar......Tami says not to tell her dad..that's all he needs to hear you're going to a gay bar instead of to his dinner.......they laugh

The Son
1. Julie/Matt/Tami scene
2. Vince/friends...car stealing scene
3. Becky beauty pageant scene
4. Vince/Coach scene in the car.....talking about football..we see vince go to pay a bill.......I guess with the car theft money

Stay
1. Buddy/Lyla scene......talking about hishealth and how she's doing at school (cute). Tim shows up at the door and Buddy just laughs........Lyla has a huge smile on her face
2. Cute Matt/Julie/Shelby/Grandma Saracen scene
3. Cute Jess/aunt scene (especially her telling her aunt about Landry, the kiss, and the slap).......with dad listening on later in the scene
4. Buddy/Lyla/Tim......Lyla is going back to school.......tugged at my heartstrings a bit

Toilet Bowl
1. Jess/aunt talking about Vince/Landry and her need to save people.aunt doesn't want her rescuing Vince
2. Buddy/Coach/Gracie in the living room watching/talking football

The Lights in Carroll Park
1. Tami/J.D. scene in the office after he has called the teacher a b, etc.
2. Tami/Glen scene (he tells her he talked to her husband, she says I know, etc. - this was after the kiss of course). Glen says he has been having nightmares.

I Can't
1. Becky/Tim scene.....she asks him to take her to the her appointment (abortion clinic) and he says her mom needs to be the one....they go back and forth......she's mad
2. Billy/Tim are working at the garage..........Becky calls......they talk
3. Short Julie/Tami scene.....Tami asks Julie if she trusts her.....tells her she can come to her no matter what

Injury List
1. Matt applying for a job at a Chicago art gallery

Laboring
1. Taylors arguing about Julie wanting to go to New Orleans for a year
2. Coaches, Buddy, and Luke watching tapes (J.D), etc.
3. awwwww..........Billy/Mindy/Tim baby in the hospital room.......Tim holding the baby...Taylors come to see them...Angela is there. Lots of cuteness! Good Coach/Tim stuff. And wow, a Tyra mention! Julie ask Angela how Tyra is doing. Her mom says she's doing good, working her tail off, hoping to make it home soon to see the baby
4. Landry/Jess/Jess' bros.........helping him practice his kicks. He brings up Vince.........tells her he said he was a good guy and that he hopes he makes her happy.......he asks Jess what that means, if he's messing with his head...what he means.........Jess evades the question......leaves him on the field with the boys...said she has to go do something

Thanksgiving
1. Tami confronted by a reporter on her front lawn with Gracie about what she's going to say at the press conference.....Tami tells her to leave
2. Billy/Tim in jail cell.......officer tells them they got bailed out......they walk outside and Mindy and Angela are there......Billy says they didn't do anything..Mindy is questioning that
3. scene on the football field (practice).......Coach gives Vince the green light
4. Tami/Julie at the turkey farm..Julies says it's barbaric......Julie tells her mom Matt is coming...Julie says it's just for the weekend and she doesn't want to talk about it
5. Matt/Julie talk/kiss.......she tells him she kissed another guy....he asks her to come to Chicago for a weekend........to see what his life is like
6. Vince/Jess are working together.......keep looking at each other......he goes over to her and says she makes him happy...he wants to be that guy for her......does she want to be his girlfriend..she says ok.....it's pretty adorable.......they kiss...more cuteness.......he spins her around
7. Coach/Mrs. Coach laying in bed...they ask each other what the other is thinking........love these two!

Other Extras
New Faces New Places
About 7 and a half minutes
Katims talks about the challenges of this season and the decisions that were made about introducing new characters and linking them to characters we're invested in, etc.
For example Becky/Tim (shows some scenes)
Madison (Becky) talks for a bit.........very complimentary of the cast and crew
Coach/Vince (shows some scenes)
Michael (Vince) talks for a bit........talks about his character, the relationships with Coach and how that's changing him......talks about Peter Berg and the improv he did in the audition room
Talks about the honest moments on this show and how most TV now days lacks that realism/honesty
Landry/Vince (shows some scenes)
We don't hear from Jurnee (Jess)
Tami/Luke (shows some scenes)
Matt (Luke) talks a bit...........says he auditioned with that scene of him on the field with Tami confronting him about where he lives

The Playbook
about 5 minutes long
Talk about Texas and football
We hear a bit from Michael again
few words from Taylor
scenes are interspersed throughout like with New Faces New Places
Talking from the football and stunt coordinator
Alot of the cast have athletic experience......Taylor and his hockey is mentioned...he's pretty proud...............Michael and basketball...Jesse and football, etc..they talk about their stunt doubles.......some cute stuff.we hear from Taylor, Michael, Matt, and Jesse.
Talk of the cameras and how many, etc. they use.............talk of the football field

Peter Berg Intros
A little over 4 minutes
Peter Berg talks about directing the premier
Said he hadn't directed an episode since the first one and hadn't been getting to Austin as much as he wanted to. With all the changes coming up in Season 4 he really wanted to direct an episode........Katims said why not the premier which was great by him
He said the cast were his kids and they were all grown up now.........knowing the show and the cast better than him now..said he was a little shy on the first day back with them...said it was great to reconnect with the cast and the crew
Talks about the shooting style and how different it is from other shows
Talks about East Dillon and what's ahead for the Coach this season

Friday Night Lights.......Camera, Action!
About 8 minutes long
Talking about the show, filming, etc.....how it's unlike any other......that it's a performance driven show..........actors have so much freedom, control, etc.
Little blurbs from Madison, Taylor, Michael, Jesse, Aimee, Buddy, Matt, Kyle, Connie,
Talk of how they keep it real with real people and real places

Well, that's it. The only other thing is the one commentary which I haven't listened to.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Elite Fan

wow, Mel, so nice of you to write all this out. I'm sure those who don't have the DVDs will greatly appreciate it. I haven't watched any of it still, but I'll comment here when I do. Thanks for starting this up.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:11 AM
Moderator Support Team

You're welcome.

I had some unexpected time last night, so I decided to watch and do this for those that have been wanting to know more.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

Mel. You're a gem! Thank you for the thread, and for recapping the DVD features. It makes me happy that they finally have some features and lots of deleted scenes in the DVD, unlike the previous ones.

Smoak & Arrow
Sally | | |
Old 08-24-2010, 11:44 AM
Elite Fan

Ok where is the best place to buy this at?

Mel thanks for doing that you are the best.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Moderator Support Team

You're welcome girls. Glad I could help.

Hope someone puts the deleted scenes on You Tube for you guys that can't get the DVD now or don't have it available in your country.

Della - Best Buy was cheaper than target and Wal-Mart.......under $20.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma (View Post)
Hope someone puts the deleted scenes on You Tube for you guys that can't get the DVD now or don't have it available in your country.
I hope so

Smoak & Arrow
Sally | | |
Old 08-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Elite Fan

So I went to 2 different stores today and both sstores were sold out
Old 08-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Moderator Support Team

I'll keep my eyes out Sally.

That sucks Della. It was sold out at the first store I went to but I found it at the 2nd.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

melllll! this is so beyond wonderful! THANK YOU! i must get this immediately, if not sooner for the mj deleted scenes! and at least we know they actually kissed more than once in four.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Moderator Support Team

Awww, you're welcome. Go get it! And yes, it's good to have that confirmed.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:52 PM
Elite Fan

Finally watched all the extras today. There were some good deleted scenes. My favorite was probably the Vince/Jess one because omg the cute! And I really enjoyed the ones between Jess and her aunt.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:35 AM
Moderator Support Team

I think the Vince/Jess was my favorite too...............so adorable. Really liked the ones with her aunt too. And of course the first Matt/Julie one and the Buddy/Lyla/Tim one (the last one).
Old 08-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Extreme Fan

Thanks. I have to get a copy soon.