Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Elite Fan

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose [Re-Watch] - 1x16 Black Eyes & Broken Hearts

welcome to the FNL series rewatch

BLACK EYES & BROKEN HEARTS {1x16}
Racial tensions are at an all time high as the black players on the Dillon Panthers won't play unless Mac McGill is fired for his comments. While Coach Taylor deliberates between firing one of his best coaches and succumbing to his players' demands, Julie's friendship with Tyra becomes more and more destructive. Meanwhile, Jason makes a life-changing decision and Matt does whatever he can to win Julie back.

INFO
- Everyone is more than welcome to join in and share opinions.
- A new episode discussion will be started every Monday.
- Please no bashing of other posters.
- Have fun!
Old 11-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

favorite ep of the series tbh. love everything about it. flawless! FLAWLESS!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Part-Time Fan

Oh my yes. So much to love:

Coach's speech to Julie, which is as follows:
Quote:
You know what it is? When there's one person involved with another person, and that first person is a person who gets in trouble, who gets suspended, who deosn't wear enough clothes, (Love how Tami gets that 'How the hell do YOU know that?! look on her face)....that first person starts hanging around with the second person, who happens to be a pretty darn good kid -- very smart, smarter then what I'm seeing now right now -- and the second person who's with that first person starts going down the wrong path? That's a bit of a problem.
Eric Taylor Father of the Year!!

To which Julie responds 'do you realize this is prejudice? You guys are prejudging her? And, maybe if you guys weren't so prejudiced, sixteen of your players wouldn't have walked off your team.' Oh burn!!

The entire scene with Landry and Matt in the jewelry shop is perfection. If you wanted me to sum up their relationship in one scene, it'd be that one. The saleslady is the actual saleslady of that shop, not an actor.

The scene with Coach and Tami's multiple personalities. Again, if I just had one scene to sum up their relationship it's this one. I especially love Coach's 'The three of you scare me,' comment as he heads out the door. And I love how Tami really can separate herself like that.

Smash's mom telling him to end the boycott. She is so forceful yet there is so much love behind it: 'you quitten football to make a point about racism in a small Texas town? That ain't the Million Man March. It ain't your duty to teach a lesson to a bunch of FOOLS.'

The minor holding cell in the jail. Love it when the cop comes in and says everyone but Julie can go and Matt slides over right next to her. Then the cut to Coach and Tami in the parking lot outside. Coach, "How long are we going to wait out here?' 'Lil bit longer.' 'All the other parents have picked up their perps, why can't we get ours?' 'Because I would like our perp to sit in there a little bit longer so she can think about what she's doing sitting in there.'

Followed by the scene where all three return home and Julie and Tami decide to have a 'Let's see who can have the biggest freak out' contest, while Coach and Coach's Hair retire to a neutral corner.

LOVE. IT.

Last edited by The Gong of Doom; 11-22-2011 at 07:44 PM Reason: ...
Old 11-25-2011, 10:52 PM
Elite Fan

There is so much I absolutely adore about this episode. One of the best of the series. Love the image of Smash, Riggins, and Matt walking on the field. Also, Matt asking Julie to be his girlfriend is so precious!

Quote:
Coach's speech to Julie
Kills me every time!
Old 08-25-2013, 12:30 PM
Elite Fan

Waverlash.

Matt is always taking relationship advice from the wrong people.

"It's really far away and I don't want you driving at night." Jason/Lyla were cute.

"Amber, did you take my baby oil again?"

Mama Smash is forever awesome. Julie/Tyra friendship was love this episode. Great buildup for the eventual Tyra/Tami relationship.

Tim reaching out to Smash they really came a long way from the pilot.

#20, #33, #7 walking on the field doesn't get better than that. Riggins tackling that guy one of my fave moments.

"Will you be my girlfriend?"