Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-11-2011, 01:20 AM
Elite Fan

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose [Re-Watch] - 1x10 It's Different For Girls

welcome to the FNL series rewatch

IT'S DIFFERENT FOR GIRLS {1x10}
The Dillon cheerleading squad preps for a championship as rumors spread about Lyla's forbidden affair with Tim, causing Lyla to fall victim to merciless harassment. Meanwhile, Coach Taylor stands in the way of his daughter's budding relationship with Matt, Jason adapts to life at home, and Smash inches closer to the preacher's daughter.

INFO
- Everyone is more than welcome to join in and share opinions.
- A new episode discussion will be started every Monday.
- Please no bashing of other posters.
- Have fun!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Elite Fan

I love when the guys come out dressed as cheerleaders. Tim's pigtails never fail to make me laugh.

Poor Lyla. Those girls just needed to STFU.

"THEY HAD BLANKET," scene is one of my favorite scenes.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Part-Time Fan

i need to watch that one now

I just watched the season 3 one where Matt and Julie get back together at the Lake "Deflowered" I guess Julie might call it...
Now I need to go back and watch Diff for girls.
I had never seen FNL till late last spring.... then this summer I plowed thru it all and I am so addicted its crazy!!! best show ever
Old 10-14-2011, 12:31 AM
Elite Fan

That's awesome saracen7! Welcome to and the board.

Quote:
I love when the guys come out dressed as cheerleaders.
I know. And they aren't even embarrassed about it. It just cracks me up.

I love how the show touched on how it was different for Lyla than it was for Tim because she was a girl. Such a double standard.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

i thought this ep did such a fantastic job touching upon the bullying that goes on in high school. to think that suicide has become an even bigger aspect of this since this ep aired is horrendously scary, yet it's great that at least one show tried to get as close to reality as possible w/o reaching that point. i think another double standard beyond the boy/girl juxtaposition is, nearly no one is perfect, thus for anyone to criticize another when they probably have their own dirty laundry is laughable. although, i've always felt that lyla made her bed, thus pretty much, you know, had to lie in it, yet by the end of this ep, i always root for her character. always! i'm like, you go bb! what's funny is that this show, or katims in general, lacks, i feel, a certain grasp on female characters, so to me, this was one of few times where a woman held her own and justly so... cause i really did have a hard time after this season finding that quality from this series on a regular basis.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:49 AM
Part-Time Fan

I think the female characters hold their own pretty damn well on the show, Tami and Tyra being great examples.

The whole Lyla/Tim dynamic during this period was interesting because it certainly is a double standard that Tim can have sex with half of Dillon and be lauded and looked up, and then Lyla has sex with Riggens and is semi-literally burned at the stake. But there is a difference, in that Riggens is known and seen as having a string of one-night stands and serial girlfriends, while Lyla and Jason have been dating for (seemingly) years. And yet, Tim is also seen by some of the kids at Dillon as being skeevy and a **** himself as the girls that Lyla overhears in the cafeteria say.

Elsewhere, love the conversation in the Taylor mobile when Julie says she want's her own car. Tami and Coach's reaction is SOOOOO spot on and real and true.

But what killed, no what MURDERED me like being licked to death by a basket full of wheaten terrier puppies puppies in a basket | Flickr - Photo Sharing! was the scenes when Matt came over to watch tv, to wit;

Coach: 'What do you think they're doing?"
Mrs. T: "Probably having sex, *giggle*."

Coach: "They had a blanket'" holding said blanket aloft like it was the infamous leather gloves from the OJ Simpson trial.
Mrs. T: "You're an idiot."

HEEEEEE!
Old 10-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gong of Doom (View Post)
I think the female characters hold their own pretty damn well on the show, Tami and Tyra being great examples.
not after season one. maybe a little in five, like with jess, but a majority of the time, the female characters were used as props for the male characters. tyra didn't even get a decent arc in three b/c of that loser cowboy douche. and lets not even get into julie having an affair with a married ta. SERIOUSLY?! no.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas forever (View Post)
not after season one. maybe a little in five, like with jess, but a majority of the time, the female characters were used as props for the male characters. tyra didn't even get a decent arc in three b/c of that loser cowboy douche. and lets not even get into julie having an affair with a married ta. SERIOUSLY?! no.
Are you seriously going to tell me that Tami doesn't kick ass in nearly every situation she faces? Tyra did have the thing with cowboy/druggie dude in season 3 but that's pretty much par for the course for her, as her life is a series of small to medium trainwrecks disasters, but with Mrs. T's help (there goes Tami kicking ass again) she pulls it together.

As for Julie and her TA, one complaint I have read on various boards about Julie is how unrealistic/how much of a brat she is and the whole TA thing. The TA affair thing fits because it's obvious that Julie is lost at college and looking for something to grab hold of and a quasi-authority figure would fit, even if he is a jerk.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

tami is an enabler, which i seriously started to doubt julie was her daughter in season three and tyra wasn't. ohmygosh! and yea, i'm saying tami doesn't kick ass every step of the way. in fact, i absolutely hated the way she kept pestering coach to leave his career for her simply because it was HER turn. her even being offered that job in the end was hilarious. her even principal was hilarious. i mean, sure, season!one tami is awesome, but her character took more than enough tumbles for me to ff her after that now. not that i don't love connie and can understand that this show made their characters as flawed as possible, but there were times i grew tired of her. can't lie. as i said though, jason has never really grasped writing a female character accordingly. roswell and parenthood feature some of the same problems fnl did... sadly.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gong of Doom (View Post)
But what killed, no what MURDERED me like being licked to death by a basket full of wheaten terrier puppies puppies in a basket | Flickr - Photo Sharing! was the scenes when Matt came over to watch tv, to wit;

Coach: 'What do you think they're doing?"
Mrs. T: "Probably having sex, *giggle*."

Coach: "They had a blanket'" holding said blanket aloft like it was the infamous leather gloves from the OJ Simpson trial.
Mrs. T: "You're an idiot."

HEEEEEE!
OMG I love it! That was a wonderful scene, I love that entire dynamic between each of the four of them. Thanks for reminding me of that!

New Mexico's still out there
I love you
I love you too