Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-14-2007, 02:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Black Eyes & Broken Hearts (1.16) Episode Discussion

Black Eyes & Broken Hearts, Feb. 14, 8/7c

The Panthers self-destruct when Smash spearheads a protest against Mac's racial comments. (Viewer Advisory: Contains graphic language.) TVPG

We will take the best parts of ourselves and make them gold.
icon credit: lucy
Old 02-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Moderator Support Team

Syd - Thanks for starting the thread.

I can't wait for tonight.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Fan

Thanks for the thread, Syd.

I can't wait for tonight either. I'm sure I'll be ranting about something once the show is over.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Dedicated Fan

heeh, I love it!! Tim ROCKS!

Tim's Rally Girl #33
Old 02-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Master Fan

That was...phenominal.

Best.show.ever.

i loved everything about Smash and the whole race issue. I loved the resolve of that. I loved that it wasn't preachy and it was complex and amazing. I loved when Tim started hitting the other player. TIM I LOVE YOU.

The bus ride was PERFECT. My heart was racing through out that whole thing and I had chills.

AND MATT/JULIE I LOVE YOU.

Last edited by rose parade; 02-14-2007 at 07:25 PM
Old 02-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Fan

Where do I start? I loved it.

Eric/Tami- They are one of the most realistically couple I've seen. The conversation in the office was great. Kyle's expressed the 'Is there someone else I can talk to?' line perfectly. I about died laughing at the end when he was like 'I'm scared of the three of you.' Their reaction to what happened to Julie was so dead on. I could totally imagine my parents acting that way.

Matt/Julie- "Will you be my girlfriend?" That is such a high schoolish thing to say and it was perfect. The necklace was really pretty. I wonder if she'll wear it every episode and if we would be able to notice it?

Julie/Tyra- Their friendship is great. I can't believe Tyra told Julie not to pick up the phone call, but I'm glad she did anyways. I though it was cute when Tyra was about to leave the juvenile center and she was like 'Call me later, okay?"

Tim/Smash- I loved the talk they had in the hallway about Smash being the leader. That was really great of Tim. It was even better when Tim went in for the kill and started fighting the football player that was taunting Smash.

I'm glad that the racist storyline is over with. I was a little upset at Smash. I know he was upset about what Mac said, but he didn't have to go all defensive on him saying, 'No, you listen. I know who you are..." while he was boarding the bus. CT said that Mac wasn't a racist person, so I believed him. I'm just glad that in the end they came to some understanding.

Don't even get me on the referee or those cops. I totally jumped out of my seat when they didn't call face-mask on that player. The cop that said "We'll get you next year, Coach." I would have just laughed in his face.

Ok, so I totally expected the other football players to play the game, but when they showed them coming towards the bus with the music playing in the background, I seriously had goosebumps all over me.

Promo- I really don't have anything to say. Just and Matt and Julie!! Although, I do feel bad for Eric/Tami. It's going to be a great family oriented episode.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Obsessed Fan

Such a kick-booty episode!

Matt/Julie- Matt has officiall redeemed himself with me. I love both him and Julie throughout the episode, and I thought it was sweet when he wanted to stay with her at the Jail after they were busted for being a minor at a strip club! The necklace was such a sweet gift, and I think I literally blushed when he asked her to be his girlfriend. =)

Tyra/Julie- I love that friendship, even if they are both completely different and Tyra got her in trouble, I like that Julie has a friend, and the friendship between the two has caused me to even like Tyra.

Eric/Tami- They were as awesome as ever, and I loved the little conversation between the two in her office.

The PROMO! I love Matt and Julie, I really do. But it is a little two early for those two to do the deed, they only officially started dating what 2-3 days Friday Night Light's time? I am really excited for the Julie and Tami interaction, I think this subject will be done in a sense that is realistic.

and in my dreams you're alive and you're crying,

and your mouth moves in mine, soft and sweet.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:37 AM
Moderator Support Team

I say it every week, but this show continues to blow me away.

That was...phenomenal.

Quote:
Best.show.ever.

i loved everything about Smash and the whole race issue. I loved the resolve of that. I loved that it wasn't preachy and it was complex and amazing. I loved when Tim started hitting the other player. TIM I LOVE YOU.
It certainly is. I love how real the show is.

I'm really happy with the way the race issue has been handled thus far. This week's ep added on several more layers and dimensions to the issues that were brought to the forefront last week. Race and prejudice, etc. are very complex issues...........and it's not just race against race......it can be within your own race, etc. I love how different actions and reactions to these issues were explored. I loved the awakening and understanding we saw emerge throughout the episode.

Quote:
Tim/Smash- I loved the talk they had in the hallway about Smash being the leader. That was really great of Tim. It was even better when Tim went in for the kill and started fighting the football player that was taunting Smash.
These two were my biggest surprise of the night and they ended up being one of my favorite parts of the episode. Me thinks we need a Tim/Smash thread now.

Quote:
I'm glad that the racist storyline is over with. I was a little upset at Smash. I know he was upset about what Mac said, but he didn't have to go all defensive on him saying, 'No, you listen. I know who you are..." while he was boarding the bus. CT said that Mac wasn't a racist person, so I believed him. I'm just glad that in the end they came to some understanding.
I find it interesting that after last week's ep and even this week's ep that people have been upset with Smash and really defensive about other characters. But, I guess we all put ourselves in the shoes of the characters that we like best or that we identify with the most, etc. I've been pretty happy with the way the race issue has been handled because it is extremely complex and it's not black and white and it does go both ways. I like that a show has tackled this issue in such a real way because it's still very much a real issue.

Quote:
Ok, so I totally expected the other football players to play the game, but when they showed them coming towards the bus with the music playing in the background, I seriously had goosebumps all over me.
I thought last week's moment where they all walked off the field was powerful, but this week when they all walked towards the bus to go play the game, it was even more powerful. I liked that the idea of standing up for your beliefs and values was explored. And I liked that we saw that while this is important you also have to look at the bigger picture............that you have to consider if what you're doing is not only worth the cost but if it will have the biggest impact to make a difference.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:17 AM
Ultimate Fan

I haven't read any of what you all said, because I'm still downloading (stupid torrent running at 7 kbps) but I can't wait!

I Landry Clarke
Old 02-15-2007, 03:31 AM
Part-Time Fan

I love this episode. It gets better and better. There was no Tyla, but it was still great. I loved it how Mac was not fired or resigned. He redeemed himself. I loved how the FNL writers resolved this race issue. I liked seeing more of Mac. He was great today.
I loved the scenes with Smash and his mom. I thought Waverly was totally wrong. I am glad that his mom finally said something. I totally agree with what she said.
Julie and Tyra have a different kind of friendship which I like. They are opposites but they are blend well.
Julie and Matt were adorable today. I am glad they got back together.
Jason is off to camp. I cant wait to see who he flirts with while he is there. I think Jason and Lyla are getting old. Jason needs another love interest. I am glad he is getting out of Dillon for awhile.
I am glad to see Herc and Landry. Keep up the good work FNL.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:07 AM
Part-Time Fan

I thought this was the best episode yet. It didn't jump around as much as some of the past episodes. I liked it a lot better that they concentrate on fewer story lines.

LOVED the Coach/Tami advice scene. It is just like my husband and I. Having a degree in counseling is hard because he always says I'm psychoanalysing him.

I can't wait for more Matt Julie next week. I'm so happy they are "offical" now. Let the smooching begin !
Old 02-15-2007, 08:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I missed about 25 minutes of the show, so I need to watch that, but a few things that I found adorable.

FNL is seriously the most awesome show that ever lived! Every hour is just better than the next.

Matt/Julie: OMG! Must these two be so cute? They slay me week after week. I loved how Matt offered to wait with Julie until her parents came.

The Eric/Tami interaction! These two are the best parents on television. I loved Tami yelling at Julie while Eric was just sitting at the table. And when they were waiting out in the car. "All of the other parents have gotten their perps, let's go get ours."

We will take the best parts of ourselves and make them gold.
icon credit: lucy
Old 02-15-2007, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Fan

Mel, I agree. The racism storyline was executed realistically. I'm glad they didn't prolong the 'Is Mac going to get fired or not?' Seriously, most shows would have prolonged that for a few more episodes.

A Tim/Smash thread would be great. It's like most of the time they don't like each other, but when it comes down to the team, they both want what's best for it.

Quote:
I liked that the idea of standing up for your beliefs and values was explored.
I loved Mama Smash. When she was explaining to Smash that there are other ways to prove your point, I was getting all I just felt like Smash not wanting to play in the game until Mac was fired was because of Waverly. She was the one telling him 'You're doing great...He is going to get fired." or something to that point. I just felt she was trying to fight the battle for him. If that made any sense?
Old 02-15-2007, 08:49 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
I thought Waverly was totally wrong.
I wouldn't say she was totally wrong. She made alot of valid points and things that Smash (and others) needed to hear I think. Where I would say she was wrong is in the fact that she had tunnel vision and was looking at things from one angle only. And it was all or nothing. And in this situation that benefited no one. And as I mentioned in my post above........that while there are times you should stand up for what you believe in or stand up for a cause........you also have to look at what will really make the most impact. Is what you're doing helping the situation? Is it hurting? Waverly wasn't thinking about Smash personally (or any of the others) in this situation which was wrong. For her it was "you're either with your people or you're not". And this belief/attitude is certainly just as wrong. But, I like that it was addressed because it is an issue that constitutes racial division in it's own way.

Quote:
FNL is seriously the most awesome show that ever lived! Every hour is just better than the next.
It really is!!!
Old 02-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Fan

Oh. My. God.

I just... I don't even have words. This was just one of the most amazing episodes I have ever seen, and I was riveted throughout. There's just so much to say, I'm going to clear my head out (and heh, watch the episode again) and come back and give my comments and respond to everyone's.

This show does NOT disappoint.

I Landry Clarke