Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 02:30 PM
Master Fan

Freedom Writers (Scott): DVD in stores now!

FREEDOM WRITERS

Fresh-faced, idealistic twenty-three-year-old Erin Gruwell is ready to take on the world as she steps inside Wilson High School for her first day of teaching. Her class, a diverse group of racially charged teenagers from different walks of life - African Americans, Latinos, Asians, juvenile delinquents, gang members, and underprivileged students from poor neighborhoods - hope for nothing more than to make it through the day.

On the surface, the only thing they share is their hatred for each other and the understanding that they are simply being warehoused in the educational system until they are old enough to disappear. Despite her students' obstinate refusal to participate during class, Erin tries various means to engage them on a daily basis.

But then ghetto reality steps in to focus the picture. A racially motivated gang shooting witnessed by a Latina gang member in Erin's class, and an an ugly racial cartoon that Erin intercepts during class, become the most unwittingly dynamic teaching aids. They spark a transformation in the classroom, compel them to listen and force her to take off her idealistic blinders and take in the kids' survival stories of their undeclared war on the streets.

Erin begins to connect with them. She brings in music from the �Hood, and literature from another kind of ghetto, The Diary of Anne Frank, and with these simple tools she opens her students' eyes to the experiences of those suffering intolerance throughout the world and the struggles of those outside their own communities.

Knowing that every one of her students has a story to tell, Erin encourages them to keep a daily journal of their thoughts and experiences. After sharing their stories with one another, the students see their shared experience for the first time and open up to the idea that there are possibilities in life outside of making it to the age of eighteen.

Based on a true story, Freedom Writers is an inspirational tale and testimony to courage, hope and the human spirit's triumph over intolerance. As the students' diaries transform from schoolwork into life preservers, Gruwell's commitment to them grows and affects her in ways she did not imagine.

Freedom Writers official site
Freedom Writers @ IMDb

pics from: DEMPSEY's ANATOMY

Last edited by heartღaflutter; 05-14-2007 at 08:03 AM
thegreenlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Master Fan

Thank you very much for the thread Lis! I can't wait till this movie opens in Spain
Old 11-30-2006, 03:06 AM
Fan Forum Star

I can't wait to see this movie either.. I hope they'll have it here in the Netherlands.. One can only hope

He looks great in the movie..

In general this movie really seems interesting..

The website also says they have myspace, but my computer also says it's going under maintenance.. Anyone else able to see the myspace?

And it premieres really soon!! I hope we get to see Patrick talk about it somewhere..

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]
heartღaflutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:21 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for this thread
Gio Gio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:23 AM
Fan Forum Star

I found out yesterday that in Belgium this movie will be released in May 2007, so I hope it goes the same for the Netherlands. Usually release dates for DVD's are the same, I hope the same goes for theater releases

Old 12-01-2006, 07:14 AM
Master Fan

i can't wait to see this film..it seems fantastic
Old 12-01-2006, 08:10 AM
Fan Forum Star

The link to the myspace site of this movie:
www.myspace.com/freedomwritersmovie

It says it will behind the scenes clips and such, I look forward to that, if they include Patrick of course

Old 12-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Master Fan

Karen- Thanks for the myspace link.

Bab
- Thanks for the new pics. That guy in the last pic is random.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:23 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the new stills
Gio Gio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:36 AM
Master Fan

Review for Freedom Writers:

REVIEW: Freedom Writers
By Powder

Freedom Writers is seemingly like every other inspirational high school movie, Dangerous Minds, Coach Carter, etc. And I’m really not too keen on those kinds of flicks. But this took me by surprise. It brought me to tears not one, not two, but three times!

Freedom Writers
Director: Richard LaGravenese
Starring: Hilary Swank, Scott Glenn, Imelda Staunton, Patrick Dempsey, Mario
Releasing: January 12, 2007
Rating: PG-13 for violent content, some thematic material, and language.

Erin Gruwell (Hilary Swank) is a brand new teacher. She has chosen a school that has been “forced” into an integrated program (mixing the poor inner city kids with the suburban middle class). Her father, Steve Gruwell (Scott Glenn) a well off man doesn’t understand her choice to be in the public education sector. He still holds out hopes for her to return to school and make something different of herself.

Her husband, Scott Casey (Patrick Dempsey) is struggling to find his own voice as well, but his is within their relationship.
Erin, facing a frightening social circumstance with gang fights erupting in school, being warned not to wear her most prized possession (a string of pearls from her father), having both the kids in her class and the administration ignore her, and so on, she becomes overwhelmed. But she decides to fight for what she’s doing.

She is more than a teacher she is a person who truly cares. And she proves it to the students in her class repeatedly. Laying down a line of tape through the center of the classroom she asks each student to play a game with her.

“Stand on the line if you’ve lost a friend to gang violence.”

The entire class walks up to the line.

“Stay on the line if you’ve lost more than one friend…”

As she proves to the students over and over (taking two part time jobs just to help her students) they begin to refer to her classroom as home. Hilary Swank draws the cast together very consistently with her character Erin. She is the backbone. The person who cared enough to teach these kids something - anything - even about the holocaust (it’s an English class mind you).

The few problems I had with the film centered more around character development rather than story. Many of the students, Eva (April Hernandez) in particular, were underdeveloped. We were given enough glimpses into their lives to care about them, but then never revisit them outside of the classroom. It was all part of the evolution of the class and their trust in Mrs. Gruwell, I’m sure, but it felt awkward at moments to not stay with them. The other character that everyone will love to hate is Margaret Campbell (Imelda Staunton) Erin’s department head at the school. I know high school administration can be a bitch to work with (I taught for a very short time myself), but I highly doubt that this woman had so much hate in her to knowingly fight Erin’s every move. It was appropriate for the movie, she’s the villain, but in a story that’s banked on being true, it felt forced.

It’s a very moving story. One, which, like all other high school teaching/coaching dramas, is based on a true tale. Yet something in this movie, this story, make me actually want to know what the real Erin Gruwell did for her students. And how she is still making a difference today.

Deez had the opportunity to meet her at a book signing a couple of years ago. She must have left a good impression on him, otherwise I don’t think I would have heard about it.

If you, like me, don’t care much for this genre, give it a chance. It may actually pull at your heartstrings like it did mine. And for what it’s worth, one good cry in a movie - for me - makes the movie worth it.

4 / 5

Entertainment Junkies - For your daily fix of entertainment! ? REVIEW: Freedom Writers

Jamie and Claire Fraser
Icon: pure_flames on LJ

Last edited by Bella Cullen; 12-03-2006 at 02:45 AM
Bella Cullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:44 AM
Master Fan

thanks...
Old 12-03-2006, 03:58 AM
Bab
New Fan

thanks for the review
Bab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:53 AM
Master Fan

Thank you for the stills and the review
Old 12-03-2006, 07:05 AM
Fan Forum Star

Pretty stills.. Thnx for bringing those over Bab...
Very random guy Lis
Patrick and Hilary look very cozy together on that couch

THnx for the review.. I'm glad it was received well, especially if it wasn't his genre. Good reviews are always good for my spirits when I tend to watch a movie

Reply   Post New Thread