Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-27-2004, 07:41 PM
Addicted Fan

You shouldn't write fan fic about...

OK, I know this is in this message board SOMEWHERE, but I can't find it, so please excuse the new topic.

I know there are some authors who do not like fan fic to be done about there work, but the only one I can name off the top of my head is Anne Rice. Fanfiction.net has a list, but I can't find that either - I think maybe it's part of the "creat story" function, which is temporarily disabled.

Who else doesn't like fan fic to be done about their work?
Old 11-27-2004, 08:15 PM
Elite Fan

Wow, I can't find the FF.Net list either with almost all the features disabled.

But yeah, Anne Rice is one of them. I wonder why. I mean, I do understand but I'd like to know their personal reasons.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:24 PM
Addicted Fan

It's probably different for all of them. Anne Rice is very defensive about her own work. JK Rowling is OK with fan fiction, but she doesn't like her characters being put in sexual situations.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:10 PM
Master Fan

The thread you're looking for is probably the fanfic lawsuits one. I'll leave both open, though, since this one deals with more specific points.

fics | vids | stupid little life
Old 11-28-2004, 01:47 AM
Extreme Fan

Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita Blake and Merry Gentry series) also doesn't want fanfic written about her world. Or so I've heard anyway.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:45 AM
Master Fan

Truthfully, I would never write fanfic on a book anyway. I mean why would I its already been written Though writers get defensive about their characters because after all ther aretheir characters. I always think that writers have a personal connection to their characters, than that of TV show makers.

Quote:
JK Rowling is OK with fan fiction, but she doesn't like her characters being put in sexual situations.
I agree with her, I mean they are kids, its kinda horrible seeing them written in sexual ways

Old 11-28-2004, 02:55 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Orton
I agree with her, I mean they are kids, its kinda horrible seeing them written in sexual ways
Yeah, but I'd say most sexual HP fics deal with the characters when they're somewhat older.

fics | vids | stupid little life
Old 11-28-2004, 06:25 AM
Total Fan

fanfiction.net let me log in so I found their list of authors banning fanfics about their works:
Quote:
Anne Rice
Anne McCaffrey
Raymond Feist
Robin McKinley
Laurell K. Hamilton
Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb
Irene Radford
P.N. Elrod
Terry Goodkind
Old 11-28-2004, 02:15 PM
Addicted Fan

dukesmom - Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by Orton
Truthfully, I would never write fanfic on a book anyway. I mean why would I its already been written Though writers get defensive about their characters because after all ther aretheir characters. I always think that writers have a personal connection to their characters, than that of TV show makers.
Good point. A book character was created purely out of the writer's own mind. A TV character is a collaboration between several writers and directors and an actor.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:28 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Silversun
Yeah, but I'd say most sexual HP fics deal with the characters when they're somewhat older.
I have never read any HP fics at all so I wouldn't know.

Quote:
Good point. A book character was created purely out of the writer's own mind. A TV character is a collaboration between several writers and directors and an actor.
And it isn't personal, not really anyway. Its not like the TV creator made a specific character themselves they work with others as you said

Old 11-29-2004, 10:40 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Silversun
I gather that the issue is that the fanbase is mostly younger, and Rowlings doesn't like what they've been likely to find if they start Googling the names of her characters. Which I can sort of see.

Old 11-29-2004, 11:10 PM
Master Fan

As for the TV character thing, as much as I rely on the character specific things, the mannerisms and such of the particular actor usually weigh in so much more. I don't really think you can fall in love with a TV character and hate the actor; most of the time you like them because of who plays them. The actor contributes so much to the character that has nothing to do with anyone's creativity, just someone's natural ways. Anyway, my two cents.

TVsodes.com- a TV episode review blog for fans by fan. - One Tree Hill, Secret Life of the American Teenager, Gossip Girl, Project Runway, and more. NOW WITH PODCAST
Old 11-30-2004, 12:36 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Crossbow
It's probably different for all of them. Anne Rice is very defensive about her own work. JK Rowling is OK with fan fiction, but she doesn't like her characters being put in sexual situations.
Thats too bad for JK, since most fanfic out there is rated R and up. Alot of them are Pg-13, but lets face it most of them are R and contain alot of sex and violence.

Well, I know I don't know you and you're probably not what you seem
Aw, but I'd sure like to find out
So why don't you climb down off that movie screen?

Dan Fan No. 95
Spike's Kitten No. 95
Old 11-30-2004, 03:12 AM
Absolute Fan

Well, there's also fanfiction written about Sherlock Holmes, because the original stories are so old now, that I think most are in the public domain. It's everything from regular straight mysteries in homage to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, to slash fiction about Holmes/Watson, Holmes/Moriarty, etc.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:36 AM
Master Fan

about JKR and the younger fan base, I think that most of her fans that would stumble upon fanfic would be around 13, 14 years old to start with.

Granted she has younger fans but I don't know if they would have the most easy access to it.

The majority of places that host fanfic for HP don't allow NC-17 fics. I know of one adult HP fanfic site and it requires you to set up an account to keep out the minors. The only other place I've seen it is a few random slash sites (that they would have to go looking for) and livejournals that are even more hard to find unless you know how to search the site.

Truth be told, I don't think it's the end of the world if a 14 year old read smut. That's when I got into fanfic and starting reading smut, I'd seen much worse on basic cable, in movies and in books I'd read than in any fanfic.