Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-04-2005, 04:55 PM
New Fan

"Wizard of Oz" fanfiction

A/N This is based on a scene in the made-for-TV movie "Child Star: The Shirley Temple Story" starring Ashley Rose Orr. My story is, of course, fiction. But what if, once upon a time, there was a little bit of REAL magic in Hollywood's fairy tale?

Consolation Prize

The girl was perhaps twelve years old, slightly older and a couple of inches taller than Shirley. She had long, straight, dark brown hair, and was not, I suppose, what you would call “beautiful“. She might have been an extra in some movie being shot nearby or the daughter of a member of a film crew, and was taking an opportunity to meet the biggest star of them all. If that was the case, her first words were not well chosen.

“Judy Garland is going to do a great job playing Dorothy.”

Shirley Temple, loved by everyone who came in contact with her, had no idea what it felt like to be slapped across the face. But the other girl’s statement came close. Shirley turned her head slightly to look at her, snapped “Go away!”, and walked off. The girl followed her.

“Don’t be jealous" the girl said. "This is the movie she will be remembered for her whole life, and well beyond that. You, on the other hand, won’t be remembered for just one picture, but as the most wonderful success story Hollywood ever had.” An adult might have wondered how someone could make such confident predictions of the future.

“I don’t care.” Shirley said bitterly. “The only reason I wanted to play Dorothy was because I really love Oz.” She sat down and hung her head. The other girl sat next to her. Shirley continued “A bunch of grown-ups ruined it for me. It’s not fair!”

The girl put her hand on Shirley’s shoulder. “My friends and I want to do something to cheer you up because you didn't get the part.“

“Oh. Sure.” Shirley was used to receiving gifts from total strangers. She looked around. “Put it anywhere.”

The girl smiled. “It isn’t that kind of present.” She called out "Okay, we're ready!" What happened next was like watching a speeded up film of flower petals opening. A circular hole appeared in mid-air and widened until it became an arch with the top eight feet above the floor. Through it Shirley could see trees, grass, and many, many flowers. It was not lost on her that this was indoors in the middle of a suburb of Los Angeles.

Shirley walked slowly over to the - doorway? - stuck her head through and looked in all directions. There was unquestionably a forest there, with birds, rabbits… And then she looked down, right at her feet, and saw it. This couldn't be happening! It was only a story!

If she took one step she would be standing on a yellow brick road.

She turned, mouth hanging open in shock. The other girl was standing close behind her, with her fists on her hips and her eyes sparkling with laughter.

“Good morning, Miss Shirley Temple. My name is Dorothy. Would you like to come over to my house and play?”

Shirley's face did the most amazing contortions as she tried to get a single syllable out of her mouth.

“I’ll take that as a ‘yes’ “ Dorothy grinned. "Want to race to the top of that hill? You can see Emerald City from there.

“I’ve watched some of your dance routines" she teased. "The clumsy way you move, a Kansas farm kid could outrun you any day of the week.”

Shirley grinned back at her, from ear to ear. “I’m a souped-up California touring car and you’re a tractor.”

They balanced on the balls of their feet, toes right on the edge of the border between a place where magic was made and another where it was a way of life. One of the two most famous little girls in American history said to the other one “On your mark…Get set…”

the end
Old 08-05-2005, 12:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

It's awesome
Old 08-09-2005, 07:02 AM
New Fan

love it!