Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Master Fan

sometimes it can work for a character to be OOC, like maybe in something AU, but most of the time it just gets confusing, and not satisfactory as a reader.

Part of the pleasure of fan fic is that you go into a story already knowing the characters. They may do things that are new and surprising, and that's the originality of the author's work, but the characters should generally be who we're expecting,and their world should generally be what we're familiar with and is portrayed in the show or wherever they're from

It's also part of the challenge of Fan Fic writing to capture the reality of the characters and the world
Old 03-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Elite Fan

One thing I try to remember as I write is not to include an abundance of dialogue. I'm one of those people who has to be able to picture a scene and the characters in my head in order to enjoy a story so I struggle when there is a lot of dialogue and not a lot of imagery to set the scene.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:29 AM
Master Fan

I think it's really important to have enough description for the reader to visualize what's going on, where it's taking place, etc. Too much dialogue can interfere with that
Old 04-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Loyal Fan

Dont rush anything to presentation right away.

I know my big thing when I write fanfiction is that I get soooo excited about posting my work out there on the net, that I end up sending the story with lots of writing errors and other regretful mistakes.

If you're someone who is still practicing your craft, it's always good to finish what you're writing...and then take a day or a half off away from your work...and then look it over again before submitting!

Man, this is gonna hard for me when I'm done working on my novel.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Elite Fan

I think at the beginning it might be nice to start out a short story rather than a longer one. I've come to realize that I start a lot of stories but finish none because of me getting all mixed up

no more running; no more hiding; no more excuses
enough already.
Lynn - golden roses - snagging @ lj
Old 04-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Extreme Fan

I agree, Lynn. I always like to finish writing a draft my stories before I start posting the first chapters. I still take time to go back to the earlier chapters and edit them, but I at least know that I have a full story before I start posting it. I know that a lot of people like to just write when they can or lose interest halfway through, but it's always sad to read a fan fic you love and then never have it completed.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Master Fan

That's a good idea, Lynn For people who are starting out writing, shorter stories would probably be a good way to ease into it. Try things out in terms of style, how you feel comfortable writing description and dialogue, getting a handle on your voice as the author and how to create the voice of your characters. Shorter pieces would allow you to play around with these things without feeling that you have to write a long, complete story

When I write, I really take my time. Much to the annoyance of people that want me to update my series But I think it gives me a chance to step back, see what I've written, what do I still need to say, what do I want to change, remove etc. Have I conveyed the feelings I want, am I missing key events I had planned to include etc. If it's a series, how does this chapter fit into the series as a whole. Do I need to include something that refers back to a previous chapter, or foreshadows something that will come later?