Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-26-2005, 09:09 AM
Addicted Fan

NaNoWriMo

Is anyone going to try NaNoWriMo this year? I noticed that the on-line communities about it have suddenly started becoming active, so I guess it's time to start gearing up.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:00 AM
Master Fan

Wow, that's great! I've never heard of that and I think it's a phenomonal idea. I'm going to consider doing it, depending on how hectic school is this year.

TVsodes.com- a TV episode review blog for fans by fan. - One Tree Hill, Secret Life of the American Teenager, Gossip Girl, Project Runway, and more. NOW WITH PODCAST
Old 08-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Addicted Fan

I heard about it maybe two years ago. It's only been going on since 1999, but apparently it's pretty popular in Minneapolis. (It started in San Francisco.)
Old 08-26-2005, 05:51 PM
Master Fan

I think it's a great idea. Even if you don't reach the target, to attempt it is a big step.

TVsodes.com- a TV episode review blog for fans by fan. - One Tree Hill, Secret Life of the American Teenager, Gossip Girl, Project Runway, and more. NOW WITH PODCAST
Old 08-26-2005, 05:55 PM
Master Fan

I tried it last year, but quickly got behind and gave up because 800 words a day minimum? Way too much when school is hectic.

I might try it next summer, though. Instead of November.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:22 AM
Obsessed Fan

I've always been intrigued by the idea, and I know people who have done it, but like X-6 494 said, November is way too hectic for me!
Old 08-27-2005, 07:02 PM
Addicted Fan

Yeahy, it's probably not a good idea for a student.

You actually need to write... I think it's 1660 words a day. That's only about an hour's worth of tying, at 35 wpm, BUT that's assuming that you write like I do, just typing away and letting the story come to you. That's not counting any time spent researching or staring into space waiting for an idea. (Actually I stare at my bookshelves and wait for an idea.)

For me, the point is less actually finishing something than GETTING STARTED. I need some effing motivation to sit down and work, and I thin NaNo will help with that. Otherwise I will sit and do research for hours at a time wihtout ever starting the story. It's all about getting the story on paper, even if it sucks. Flexing those writing muscles and so on.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:35 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbow
It's all about getting the story on paper, even if it sucks.
This is why I'm interested in trying it -- the emphasis on "quantity over quality." I have a really hard time getting the internal critic to shut up, no matter how often I tell myself, "It's just a first draft." Then I get discouraged because if it can't be perfection right out of the gate, I start thinking it will always be worthless. As a consequence, of course, I don't write as much as I want to or should. This has been particularly true lately, so I think this exercise of just pounding out the words in the race for the goal could be therapeutic. And maybe even fun!
Old 08-27-2005, 09:14 PM
Master Fan

I've come up with my idea for it. It's actually a story I've been thinking up for a while (fanfic of course!) where my main character goes crazy and her ex-boyfriend has her committed. I was pondering writing it, but I think this will be the perfect long story to fit for that project.

Are you supposed to think up the idea beforehand? Did I cheat?

Old 08-28-2005, 09:35 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykayelle
Are you supposed to think up the idea beforehand? Did I cheat?
I think the only thing that's cheating is if you start writing before November 1st! I've already got my idea, very vaguely formed, but I'm trying not to think out the details too much. The recommendation in the NaNoWriMo book (No Plot? No Problem!) is that you give yourself the last week in October to do any kind of preparation -- plot outline, research, etc. Just one week, no more. The reasoning behind it is that anything you've invested tons of time in preparation, you'll be too attached to it to really let go, be spontaneous, and go for quantity over quality. You'll take it too seriously, freeze up and then quit. So they say. Since, as I said above, I have a tendency to get wound up about things being perfect, I've decided to take their advice on my first try at this!

So when my brain wanders to my idea, asking questions about all the holes it's got, I just say, "Hush, brain! No thinking about that!" Then I divert it to the fanfic one-shot that's currently plaguing me.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Master Fan

Oh, OK. I'm looking foward to this. Can't wait until November!

Old 08-30-2005, 10:09 AM
Addicted Fan

I remember reading last year that it's perfectly OK to start writing early, but I'm not sure you should include yourself as a "winner" if you do. Of course, all you "win" is having your name listed with all the people who reached 50,000 words. If you're just doing it for yourself and not trying to "win" I don't see why you shouldn't start whenever you're ready.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:29 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbow
I remember reading last year that it's perfectly OK to start writing early, but I'm not sure you should include yourself as a "winner" if you do. Of course, all you "win" is having your name listed with all the people who reached 50,000 words. If you're just doing it for yourself and not trying to "win" I don't see why you shouldn't start whenever you're ready.
From their FAQ:

Quote:
Do I have to start my novel from scratch on November 1?

Yes.

This sounds like a dumb, arbitrary rule, we know. But bringing a half-finished manuscript into NaNoWriMo all but guarantees a miserable month. You'll simply care about the characters and story too much to write with the gleeful, anything-goes approach that makes NaNoWriMo such a creative rush. Give yourself the gift of a clean slate, and you'll tap into realms of imagination and intuition that are out-of-reach when working on pre-existing manuscripts.

Does that mean I can't use an outline or notes?

Outlines and plot notes are very much encouraged, and can be started months ahead of the actual novel-writing adventure. Previously written prose, though, is punishable by death.
But you're right that any rules really only apply if you're aiming to "win" by reaching 50,000 words in a month and getting that verified by the NaNoWriMo site. Even that's on the honor system, but starting before November would be considered "cheating."

I'm kind of intrigued by trying the go-for-broke, no-preparation approach, so I don't plan to start until November.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:49 PM
Master Fan

My planning is in my head, and I did research before when I was going to start writing this story and then didn't. I'm pretty much all set. I'm just waiting until November. It seems like a long ways away from now, though, doesn't it?

Old 08-31-2005, 03:17 PM
Master Fan

It sounds like a fun thing to participate in. You can't really do it properly if you're not American though, right? I'm browsing around the site but it doesn't seem to come straight out and say it, though the 'national' thing is probably clue enough.

fics | vids | stupid little life