Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-23-2006, 08:10 AM
Passionate Fan

How did you first find out about fanfiction, and what made you start writing it?

I wrote my first fanfiction back when most of you weren't even born -- like many of my generation, it was about Star Trek (the original series). I moved on from there to Dark Shadows, The Young Rebels (don't ask, it wasn't on long enough), The Fantastic Journey (ditto), and finally back to my fanfic roots with Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. For me, fanfic always began with something I really thought the writers could be doing better -- generally in terms of who I thought should be madly in love with whom. I was astonished to discover others pursuing the same (or different) quests than I, and loved going to conventions where I could count on lugging home many delightful purchases of all sorts of fanfic.

So, how did y'all discover fanfic? What drives you to write it?

Proud to be a card-carrying member of the ACLU.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:37 AM
Obsessed Fan

I first discovered fanfic through FF, if I remember correctly. Dawson's Creek was my first online fandom, and I found all the fic at Capeside Diaries. I didn't actually start writing my own fic until Roswell. And the only other fic I've written is for TFATF (my epic). I think what drew me into writing was a fascination with the show/movie and ideas that wouldn't leave me alone until they were written down!
Old 04-24-2006, 06:16 PM
Master Fan

I found out about fanfic probably through being obsessed with 7th Heaven. I went on to ff.net and there I read these fabulous fabulous fabulous stories about Mary and Wilson by this amazing author named thfan. I was so in awe and had to start writing myself. And my renewed obsession with mary and Wilson and my love of writing was born!

TVsodes.com- a TV episode review blog for fans by fan. - One Tree Hill, Secret Life of the American Teenager, Gossip Girl, Project Runway, and more. NOW WITH PODCAST
Old 04-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Dedicated Fan

i foudn out about FF through watching Buffy...then i met my best friend Dayz and she wrote it and then we started writing it together, all differnt kinds, (we were totally into Roswell, Buffy, Angel, Sunset Beach and now OTH)
If you like OTh checkout the new fic we are writing Called "This Use to be my playground" it's the OTH gan flashbacks to "what if they met in jr high and has a history together before high school...
Old 04-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Supreme Fan

I first found out about fanfictions while posting with a friend on fanforum...i got my first idea while watching a german tv show which i'm not watching anymore...i began to write it but haven't finished it yet. that was one and a half year ago
Old 04-29-2006, 11:30 PM
Master Fan

I first discovered it somewhere around the summer hiatus of the first season of Roswell; I think it was on (another site which apparently must not be named - lets call it flashdown.flom) but I'm not completely sure. After that, I proceeded to become obsessed with Roswell fic, and I wrote a couple of (very bad) Roswell fics. With my first fics, I was mostly motivated by what I wanted to happen with my favorite couple (M&M), but as I started writing more, it became more about what I wanted to see happen and thought should have happened with the show overall.
that a broken heart is blind

Last edited by ~*Echo*~; 04-29-2006 at 11:36 PM
Old 04-30-2006, 01:06 AM
Supreme Fan

I don't remember exactly how I discovered fanfic I think I just started writing it after being inspired by watching a ton of Buffy. I began writing fanfic back in the summer of 2002 (or thereabouts) and at that time I was part of a writing group, so I'd bring my stories to them and they'd critique my work. I then discovered ff.net about Oct/Nov 2003 (I think) and began reading a lot of Buffy fanfic. I wrote about 3 Buffy fanfics before I finally decided to sign up on ff.net in May 2004. I posted my latest (and last) Buffy fic "Sweet Melodies" at the site and was ecstatic when I received my first review a few days later. At that time, the first season of Tru Calling was also wrapping up so I decided to try my hand at some Tru Calling fanfic. I've been writing Tru Calling fic ever since and unfortunately have not gone back to writing for the Buffy fandom. Tru Calling is definitely my favorite fandom to write for (Tru/Jack stories especially), but I have branched out very recently having written a fanfic based on the Disney TV series Phil of the Future as well as for a short-lived CBS SciFi/Horror/Drama series called American Gothic. I LOVE writing fanfic and I plan on doing it for many years to come cuz I want to be a professional writer someday. I always tell my family and friends that I will be the next JK Rowling!
Old 05-04-2006, 05:18 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Carolyn
I wrote my first fanfiction back when most of you weren't even born -- like many of my generation, it was about Star Trek (the original series). I moved on from there to Dark Shadows, The Young Rebels (don't ask, it wasn't on long enough), The Fantastic Journey (ditto), and finally back to my fanfic roots with Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. For me, fanfic always began with something I really thought the writers could be doing better -- generally in terms of who I thought should be madly in love with whom. I was astonished to discover others pursuing the same (or different) quests than I, and loved going to conventions where I could count on lugging home many delightful purchases of all sorts of fanfic.

So, how did y'all discover fanfic? What drives you to write it?
A lot of people wrote and read Star Trek first, and wasn't that the first ever fandom to have slash in it?

Mine was Young Americans only lasting 8 episodes I was in dire need to read the characters. I found this huge archive which was run by Courtney, but sadly isn't here anymore. I tried to write for the characters but I couldn't really do it

Old 05-05-2006, 03:48 AM
Passionate Fan

I thought fanforum was a recent thing. I am working on a Buffy fanfiction which I am almost done and I am also doing a GH fanfiction which I hope is good when its done. Its just the title that I have a problem with.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:25 AM
Passionate Fan

I was at a forum for Harry/Hermione shippers, and saw somebody raving about a fanfic they had just read. I'd never even heard of fanfiction before (I was like, 9 ), so I looked it up, somehow found my way to FF.net, and quickly got addicted

I wrote my first fic because I got an idea for a plot one night, and started searching for a fic that fit it, but couldn't find one. I really wanted to see that plot come to life in a fic, and I figured, well, I like writing, so I decided to give it a shot.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:20 AM
Addicted Fan

I think I discovered it through Dawson's Creek. At least that was the first fandom I wrote for. It might have been Star Trek or X-Files, though. My memory is rather hazy since I was about fourteen (I'm twenty-two now).
Old 05-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Extreme Fan

I found fanfic through a show I don't even watch anymore. It had it's own fanfic website, complete with a link to ff.net. I fell in love with GG and Phantom of the Opera fanfics. My first one I wrote was on a four hour car trip, and I was listening to music, which gave me a fic idea. So... That's how.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Addicted Fan

I was looking for spoilers and googled my favorite couple on GG, to get informations about it. But because I didn´t know the word "spoiler" then, I just tipped in their names and got to FF.net. I read some post season 4 fics and loved them.
And at some point the idea, how I would like for it to continue popped into my head and I started writing. Strangely enough I am only able to write my stories in English, because I watch GG in English. I sometimes also watch them in german, but the more episodes I saw in English the more the germ trnslation sucked. So I can only write them in English and have to translate them into german when I want to post them here...
tumblr
Old 05-25-2006, 08:26 AM
Obsessed Fan

I think the first fan fiction I had read was a Buffy story, right after I got my first computer and had internet access for the first time. I had always sort of my made up storylines in my head, and I just didn't really know the "name" of what I was doing.

I started writing about a year after that, but never put any of it online. I had a tendency to abandon my stories after about four or five chapters. I have an idea for a fan fiction constantly in my head. I'm always thinking of different ideas, but not all of them make it to paper or document. I started my very first serious ongoing story a little over a year ago and I've managed to maintain it.

~Kat
Old 06-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Absolute Fan

I was writing fanfic before I knew what it was. When I fell in love with ER and more importantly Doug and Carol when I was 12 or 13, I wrote a story about them. I wrote a few actually. When I was bored in class, I would write pages and pages in the back of my notebooks. For years my dad was the only person I let read them. And then I swtiched to writing on General Hospital and then The West Wing and my best friend would read those ones because my dad didn't watch the shows.
Finally a few years ago, searching for something on x-files i found ff.net. Yeah I've watched a lot of shows. Never realy finished an x-files story though. But anyways, joined that and I posted my WW stories and then my As The World Turns story and now all I post is Gilmore Girls.
I was having trouble at first getting bored with long stories and that kind of thing but I started a GG story in Jan and it's still going and when I finish I'm planning a sequel
Avi by Paula