Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Part-Time Fan

edited because I can't find the "delete the accidental multiple posts" button.

Last edited by Sock Monkey; 07-06-2009 at 10:17 AM
Old 07-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Part-Time Fan

I've added the info for this one to the fic list on page 2, but it's short enough that I decided it could go here in its entirety, as well. It's a ficlet that I submitted for July 2009's guest character (Fred) prompt at the Live Journal nekid_spike community. It's rated PG-13 and set post-Not Fade Away. Hope you enjoy!

Deja-Bleu

It’s 4:57 by the old clock on the wall…Spike notes the time as he staggers to his feet in the convenience store’s doorway and rakes his gaze over the aisles of candy and overpriced toilet tissue. The angry young warlock who’d slammed the whole building with a mystic blast of god-knows-what when Illyria slapped the gun from his hand (“Insect! We require our dollar bills for GASOLINE!”) has flown off in a huff, leaving behind a botched robbery and a trail of sparks and wounded ego. His companion in crime is a wildly pissed-off female vampire, and she snarls and throws herself at Spike, and there’s a violent, screeching fistfight until finally he knocks her to her knees and sets her hair on fire with his lighter. She explodes in a screaming fireball.

Be morning soon; gotta get the bleedin' petrol ‘n be on our way. Wincing from his fresh new bruises, he limps to his motorcycle and pulls it upright against the pumps. As he finishes filling the tank, he calls out to the Old One: “All right, Periwinkle? Oi, that little bastard packed a wallop. I’m still seein’ stars.” No one answers.

“Blue?”

He spies her on her bottom beside the store’s front wall, hunkered down in the narrow space between the newspaper racks and the ice machine. She appears to have crawled there.

“Illyria?”

It isn’t her. In the bug-swarm ghostly light of the gas pump island, the skin is pale and naked...and pink.

The hair…is brown.

The eyes…the eyes are pools of horror, staring at the smoking ash that was recently a person, and her body trembles and then he knows.

The comment “I've seen the bloody Fred routine before” dies in his throat.

Moving slowly, as though in a dream, he crouches down before her. The eyes have begun to dart now; here, there, and everywhere. She whines. It’s a horrid sound, like the cry of a trapped animal.

With infinite care he reaches out and takes her hands in his. They’re scratched and raw and gritty from (Clawed her way out of a coffin, that's how) slamming and crawling across the pavement. Her knees are in bad shape, too. He slides his coat off and eases it around her, and something in her loosens and she sobs with fear and burrows into the shelter of his arms, and it’s at the same time awful and heavenly. The kid; whatever was in that wad of magic crap he threw at them must have done something. Knocked Fred back into place. Sent Illyria packing, maybe. Set things straight again.

Has she come back wrong?

"Hell, no," he scolds himself. Not his fetching mad scientist. If five years in a slave dimension couldn’t crack her…although it did crack her a bit, so they said…but look how she’d pulled herself together…

I don’t want to be lonely anymore.

The store’s clerk -- this is the fourth time he’s been robbed this year – comes out, looks at them without a word, and goes back inside.

An odd sense of peace comes over Spike. He smooths her hair as he used to smooth Dru’s and longed to smooth Buffy’s. If she is wrong, is broken, he can handle it; he’s been down this path before. This time he’ll do it right.

He suddenly realizes he’s missed Fred desperately.

I want you to know I did save you. Not when it counted, of course. But after that. Every night after that.

Somehow he gets her onto the back of the bike; buttons her into the coat and pulls her arms around his waist…and then they’re out on the highway, wind whipping their faces, and the cold, white stars fill the dome of the sky.

~end~

Last edited by Sock Monkey; 07-06-2009 at 08:16 PM
Old 07-19-2009, 01:38 PM
New Fan

I love anyone paired with Spike. It just makes me happy
Old 07-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Part-Time Fan

Here’s a couple of essays that were written back at the beginning of AtS Season 5, and are helpful if you’d like to write Spred fics but aren’t sure how to begin.

Quote:
|| Between Heaven & Hell ||
Likely Connections: On Writing Spike and Fred

LIKELY CONNECTIONS: ON WRITING SPIKE AND FRED

By Jenny (aka Jennifer-Oksana)

He's a dead souled vampire, she's commanding her very own multi-million-dollar (evil) laboratory. Add in Mr. Roper and a catchy theme song, and Spike/Fred writes itself. Yes?

Not so much yes. For those of us who cheered when Spike! Finally! Died!, the idea of bringing him back the way Mutant Enemy will in Angel S5 and shipping him with Fred is perhaps a little counterintuitive to begin with. Spike's dead! He's been deeply annoying! And doesn't he already have his one obsession, namely one Buffy Summers? Or hey, what about that century of true love with Drusilla? Why on earth would Spike be interested in Fred?

And likewise, Fred? Probably a little wary of dating, seeing as all the men she knows have burnt her pretty hard in the past year. The smart one (Wesley) ended up telling her rather obliquely that she knew nothing of love and went off to make big angsty eyes at Angel Investigations' worst enemy. Gunn broke up with her and obliquely tried to tell her she was a user. Angel already broke her heart the first time, then went and had kyerumption with Cordelia, except then he ran off to his first true love Buffy. In short, all the men in Fred's world suck the might suck in terms of relationships. Why would she want to be involved with yet another vampire obsessed with Buffy?

Ah, so why bother? No. Wait. What I've told you are simply the reasons why Fred and Spike aren't going to lay eyes on each other and immediately start planning their wedding. But some of the greatest couples are the ones which aren't immediately obvious. Also, I think Fred and Spike have strong long-term potential once you get past their initial difficulties.

First off, Fred bears personality similarities with two women Spike is very fond of _ Drusilla and Dawn. The crazy side of Fred and the crazy side of Dru bear strong similarities, to say nothing of the physical similarities. Meanwhile, like Dawn, Fred needs someone who's willing to be emotionally (and sometimes physically) protective of her. Spike gets a warm glow from protecting a certain type of girl, and Fred does fit the mold of girl that Spike likes protecting.

To continue, Spike also gets a warm fuzzy from women who appear weak and somewhat crazy to the outside world, but who are actually very strong and dominating in their private spheres. Drusilla ran Spike's undead life...and he loved it. Buffy was in charge...and Spike begged for more. When Fred's pushy side comes out to play, Spike would be a personality less likely to protest the manipulation. In fact, he'll enjoy it as long as he gets *some* affection in the deal. Fred would probably have that affection, especially if Spike treats her with that aura of protective love that marks so many of his relationships with women from his mother to Dru to Dawn to Buffy.

So at least there, Spike and Fred offer each other attractive emotional and psychological benefits. Protection, affection, and sops to their (somewhat unhealthy) relationship tics. In fact, one of the nice things about Fred/Spike is the potential for the fic to go from anywhere to cute friendship-type bonding (Fred and Spike bond over their love of Bloomin' Onions!) to dark and screwed-up using (Spike screws Fred because he can't have Buffy; Fred screws Spike because there's something heady about having a champion attend her every need) and a large field in-between.

To finish up, a few bulleted points about the Spike/Fred relationship to think about as you contemplate ficcing these characters:

> While they might hit it off immediately, neither of them as characters are in a place to want a romance right away. Consider taking it slow.

> There's a large potential for them to be good friends. They love eating, they have a certain moral sensibility that's going to be adrift at Angel and Hart, Spike loves protecting Fred's personality type, Fred's lacking a good male friend....plenty of reason for them to bond.

> Don't forget Buffy's existence. Or Dru's. Even if Spike must move on, they're still going to be in his thoughts.

> There's room for messed-up Spike/Fred. Fred has some vicious streaks not so far under the surface of her sweetness and light personality, and Spike's whole realms of screwed-up. Contrasting their flaws could give you some vicious darkfic.

> Be grateful that this might be a ship you can write believable fluff. Fred and Spike have had rough years; they might see a safe harbor in each other. Don't feel obligated to write Spike/Fred darkfic.

So there you are. Fred and Spike. Likely to connect, but how is up to you.
Quote:

WHY?

by Krys Yuy

WARNING: Possible SPOILERS ahead!!! Also, this is my own opinion. Do NOT flame me for it. Offer arguments for the Opinion section, but I repeat, do not insult me for my opinion.

Why Spike and Fred?

First off, Spike has a fresh start with Fred without any of the badness from Sunnydale. He doesn't have the shadows of his past hanging over him. Fred can accept him easier because of that. Spike's love life hasn't exactly left him in the best of shape. Yes, I believe Spike can be the best possible partner if the girl gives him a chance. He would be devoted one hundred percent, good or bad, which is, unfortunately, part of his tragic flaw. His first and only unrequited love as William the Poet was Cecily Addams/Underwood. She rejected his confession of love and declared, "You're beneath me."

That hurtful statement would send him into the arms of Drusilla. William, now known as Spike, would find a new love with this black goddess. However, he would always be second best to her "Daddy", Angelus. This would prove true when Angelus returns in Sunnydale, and Spike is nothing more than injured left-overs. When he gets Drusilla back, she rejects him as well, saying he tainted himself by becoming allies with the Slayer. She breaks his heart and he goes on the rebound with Harmony. Harmony was basically used and abused for Spike to relieve his sexual tension. Then what was thought impossible happens.

William the Bloody falls in love with Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Then comes a series of rejection and pain along with heartfelt and tender moments. Their hate and love story is too complicated to go into detail. But Buffy is a woman who dominates Spike's heart as much as Drusilla did for over a hundred years. She is the catalyst that changes Spike's path from good to evil. She is the reason he earns his soul. Still, theirs was a twisted relationship that went from bad to worse before the wounds healed.

Spike needs someone who will accept him as he is. Even without a soul, Spike had the strange capacity to feel as a vampire. He was once a soulless killer, yes. I'm not saying that he needs to be let off for all the sins he's committed, but he has a chance with Fred to start over, in more ways than one. Fred isn't blind to the truth. Spike is like Angel, another demon with a soul. Another demon with too many sins and too much blood on his hands. Fred's gentle and kind demeanor can reach Spike in a place that's been left isolated for so long. I admit, though, the reasons for Fred being with Spike are easier to come up with than for Spike being with Fred.

Ahh... Fred. The shy brain who actually has a lot in common with Spike's side as William. She got sucked into a portal leading to Pylea, and only when Angel and his crew arrived did she have a way to escape. From there, Fred grew to have a crush on Angel, her knight in dark armor. She knows what he is and has seen it in its truest form. She was not afraid. Fred not only has the brains and beauty, but guts too. Angel, however, could only look at her with the affection of an older brother at the most. He took care of her and made sure to coax her out of her room whenever she felt skittish. Her crush would soon fade away after he leaves her suddenly, and first learns about his once true love, Buffy Summers.

Then comes the triangle that Fred doesn't even realize is there. When Fred starts to recover from her Pylean insanity, she catches the eye of both Wesley Wyndham-Pryce and Charles Gunn. Wesley, of course, seems the obvious choice. They're both smart, fairly nerdy, and sweet in their own way. They seem to fit each other so well that it's nearly shocking that Fred winds up in the arms of Gunn instead. Heartbreaking for Wesley, but Fred and Gunn have a happy relationship for what could be considered a long time in Joss Whedon's universe. Everything kind of dissolves after Gunn kills the man who sent Fred into Pylea on purpose because Fred, in fact, wanted to send him to hell herself - literally. Gunn argues that if Fred had killed that man, a human, then the woman he fell in love with would have been lost forever. Perhaps he was right, but Fred and Gunn's relationship take a nosedive after that incident.

Wesley, who is now darker and more serious, sees his chance and is more aggressive in his unrequited love for Fred. They share a few passionate kisses, but nothing seems to come of it because of Fred's reluctance, especially after discovering about him and Lilah. I guess you could say the only true official relationship that Fred has had with anyone is Charles, as she likes to say. What she needs is someone to spice up her life and make it even more interesting. She needs someone who will appreciate her as a woman, a physicist, and a loyal friend and companion. She's different compared to the women who have been in Spike's life, but also with a combination of similarities. She has a certain fragility like Drusilla and courage and determination like Buffy, but nothing that similar with Harmony and Cecily (thank goodness). Fred needs someone who will understand her to the point that it's strange yet comforting, a shoulder to lean on that will also wrap an arm around her to protect her. Spike is the someone that can always be there for her as she is for him.

Of course, most of these reasons are just my own speculations. More solid info will be put into either The Firsts or Moments sections. However, Spike and Fred are still an odd yet pleasant pair in my eyes. I remember thinking, back when Buffy was being a bitch and Fred was still new, wondering how Spike and Fred would look together. How would they react to one another? Would Fred be kind or afraid? Would Spike be starstruck or rude? It was a strange pairing, but back then, I thought they would never even meet. Now, it seems like I'm getting my chance and a whole lot more. Keep your seatbelts buckled folks. It's gonna be a bumpy ride.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Part-Time Fan

Wonderful essays - thank you for posting!

Quote:
odd yet pleasant pair
Yes, that's them!
Old 07-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Extreme Fan

Ah Socky, you'll turn me into a total Spredder if I'm not careful.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:23 PM
New Fan

I think Socky has linked my fanfic here before, but I thought since I finally re-joined Fanforums, I'd post a little update myself:
Automated Utopia
Rating: R.
Word Count: Over 60,000.
Paring: Spike/Fred (of course) with a little Spike/Angel UST.
Summary: This fanfiction is set in a Victorian SteamPunk Alternate Universe in which inventions such as Charles Babbage's Difference Engine and the harnessing of steam-power have launched a technological revolution far earlier in history. The time is 1885, and Angel Investigations is working for Scotland Yard. A new case involving a missing artifact from the British Museum and a demonic cult sends the wayward detectives on a whirlwind adventure to reclaim the object before all is lost.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:44 AM
Elite Fan

Socky I haven't seen this before, but I think it's great of you to post those essays

no more running; no more hiding; no more excuses
enough already.
Lynn - golden roses - snagging @ lj
Old 08-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Part-Time Fan

Thank you, Moscow and Zelda! *lures Tubby to the dark side*

Here's the sequel to my Deja-Bleu ficlet; it's called Songs in the Key of Insanity. It's PG-13, but as there's a wee bit of sex in it I wasn't sure if it would be allowed to be posted here...so I've linked to it instead:

sockmonkeyhere: Songs in the Key of Insanity (A Spike/Fred Ficlet)
Songs in the Key of Insanity, an Angel fanfic - FanFiction.Net

ETA: And this is sequel #3 in that ficlet series: A Time to Gather Stones Together

sockmonkeyhere: A Time to Gather Stones Together (A Spike/Fred Ficlet)
A Time to Gather Stones Together, an Angel fanfic - FanFiction.Net

Last edited by Sock Monkey; 08-07-2009 at 09:52 PM
Old 08-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Part-Time Fan

Another new Spike/Fred fic:

untitled by altyronsmaker
The Lost City - Some drabbles from February I'm catching up on!
AtS post-"Not Fade Away"
rated PG
ficlet
Old 08-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Elite Fan

You are the Fred/Spike finder, aren't you? Thanks for posting those here and thus keeping everyone informed

no more running; no more hiding; no more excuses
enough already.
Lynn - golden roses - snagging @ lj
Old 08-15-2009, 02:21 AM
Part-Time Fan

I've got a built-in radar.

Here's another new one, from alison_swift. This one's a ficlet, with great characterization and very touching prose, told from Fred's point of view:

Fine Lines by alison_swift
How the elephant got in my pajamas... -
alternate AtS season 5
rated PG
ficlet

Last edited by Sock Monkey; 08-23-2009 at 08:50 PM
Old 08-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Part-Time Fan

I've just added to the list on page 2 alison's multi-chapter version of AtS Season 6, featuring a Spike/Fred romance and boatloads of wit, humor, excitement, pathos, and spot-on characterizations!

Retrieval and Return by alison_swift
spred: Chapter 6 of alison_swift's Spike/Fred f
Memorable FanFiction Entries
AtS post-After the Fall
rated R
5 chapters: WIP

Last edited by Sock Monkey; 10-18-2009 at 10:58 AM
Old 09-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Part-Time Fan

Two new fics:

After Easter by brunettepet
brunettepet: Nekid Numbers Easter Challenge
alternate AtS Season 5
rated G
ficlet

An adorable, hilarious Spike/Fred friendship fic written for a challenge with the prompts “Fred, Ribbon, Cave,” in which the two pig out on Easter candy.

Second Chance by lilithbint
spred: A Spredfic by lilithbint
AtS post-Not Fade Away
rated PG
ficlet

After the battle Illyria falls. Spike takes care of her because nobody else can but who really came back?
Old 10-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Part-Time Fan

More new stories (I've added their links to the list on Page 2):

The Lost by lilithbint (aka lilithangel)
spred: Another Spredfic by Litithbint
alternate reality BtVS Season 7 / AtS Season 4
Rated PG
Ficlet

She's Come Undone by sockmonkeyhere (aka Sock Monkey)
sockmonkeyhere: She's Come Undone (A Spike/Fred Ficlet)
She's Come Undone, an Angel fanfic - FanFiction.Net
post-AtS season 5 (sequel to A Time to Gather Stones Together)
rated PG-13
ficlet

Acid-Base Reactions by powerofthebook
powerofthebook - Venturing into Spike/Fred Territory
AtS season 5 (post-"Lineage")
rated PG
ficlet

Shove With Your Hips by alison_swift
How the elephant got in my pajamas... - Fic: Shove With Your Hips.
post-AtS season 5 (in which Fred has been resurrected)
rated PG-13
ficlet