Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-13-2008, 08:01 AM
Fan Forum Star

Oh I read a charmed fan fic once. It was about a girl who loves Charmed and one day comes into the show. The story had a great storylin and all but it wasn't well written. I didn't want to read how Chris fell in love with her and they lived happily ever after.

I think I write my characters OOC but the ones that read my fan fics don't agree with me. I usually write my fan fics 10 years after or AU fan fics so it's not a problem to change the characters. But I hate when the writer makes every character bad just so that you will love her favourite.

i love you. ♡
Old 08-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALEY-FOREVER (View Post)
Oh I read a charmed fan fic once. It was about a girl who loves Charmed and one day comes into the show. The story had a great storylin and all but it wasn't well written. I didn't want to read how Chris fell in love with her and they lived happily ever after.

I think I write my characters OOC but the ones that read my fan fics don't agree with me. I usually write my fan fics 10 years after or AU fan fics so it's not a problem to change the characters. But I hate when the writer makes every character bad just so that you will love her favourite.
I'm sure you didn't Aurora

Characters written completely OOC are one of the biggest problems for me. Especially in the Gossip Girl fandom, when they write Chuck as the world's most altruistic and romantic person. Because he is not.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris_katsiki (View Post)

Characters written completely OOC are one of the biggest problems for me. Especially in the Gossip Girl fandom, when they write Chuck as the world's most altruistic and romantic person. Because he is not.
I wished it was me he fell in love with.

I'll try to find it.

I agree.

i love you. ♡

Last edited by 21:21; 08-13-2008 at 12:12 PM
Old 08-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Supreme Fan

Bad grammar, punctuation and spelling!!
Old 08-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris_katsiki (View Post)

I also hate comma mistakes!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Elite Fan

I agree with the Chuck comment. I still don't think that Blair and Chuck are "in love" anyway, so it makes it just this much less believable to me.

Comma mistakes... I can sing a song about those

no more running; no more hiding; no more excuses
enough already.
Lynn - golden roses - snagging @ lj
Old 08-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_zelda (View Post)
I agree with the Chuck comment. I still don't think that Blair and Chuck are "in love" anyway, so it makes it just this much less believable to me.
Well I believe that , the problem is it was a wee bit rushed and didn't feel right. But as long as I get my C/B I don't complain

If a story is good I don't pay attention to mistakes, but some are really hard to ignore and I end up looking for them instead of caring about the storyline...
Old 08-14-2008, 02:45 AM
Supreme Fan

I agree about the accents, i hate that. Especially when the author tells us he has said accent, but then continues to write in it. It's sufficient enough to just tell us he has, say a southern accent. You dont need to keep adding drawls to the end of every other word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe_Tomorrow (View Post)
One of the things that irks me the most in Harry Potter fanfiction is the lack of British knowlegde.
Oh, that annoys the hell out of me. As soon as i see the use of American terms in HP fanfiction, i'm outta there. Even if the writing isn't bad, i have to press that little X.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Elite Fan

Accents! I love ranting about accents in fics

Authentic quote from a Bones fic:

Quote:
‘Kay, e’ry’n list’n up!” she shouted. All activity in the room stopped. “As ye’all be’a know ‘s St. Patty’s Day!” Everyone cheered in response. “An’ if ye’a jis’ gittin’ he’a or’da up na’w cuz sum’un jis bough’ a roun’ fo’ yea!
Because the fact that it's St. Paddy's Day and they're in an Irish pub full of Irish people might be just waaay too subtle for the readers, right?
Bones "writers", I already officially can't stand most of your creations, stop feeding my utter dislike...
Also just because you got your ship married and pregnant in the first chapter, doesn't mean you write them better than the show... Especially if we're talking about B/B... (that's more of a review rant than fanfic, though)

Ooooh another thing. I ranted about names before, but I gotta add some more. How can anyone write a good characterization when they can't even correctly spell the character's freaking name? People are so lazy they won't even google anymore?

And Buffyverse fandom you've been pissing me off for years now. Buffy's name is Buffy. Not Elizabeth. Just Buffy. Yes, it's a funny name, but that added to Joss' general idea behind the show...
On a similar note, dear Bones author, Jack's name is Jack. Not John nicknamed Jack.

Last edited by ~DresdenDoll~; 08-14-2008 at 03:45 PM
Old 08-15-2008, 02:26 AM
Elite Fan

We now have a thread dedicated to the different accents/dialects and stuff:
http://www.fanforum.com/f24/varietie...rong-62850804/
Maybe you can forward the authors of said fics to that thread

Do, you seem to really get the worst fics! I agree about names, though. Or if people give characters middle names! Not everyone in the world has a middle name! They might just not have one! Simply because it's not given, does not mean that it asks for additional ridiculous "names"...

enough already.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:06 AM
Loyal Fan

Let's see...I started writing completely OC ficlets and the characters were fantastical anyway so some of them have fantastical names. Now I mainly write Zac/Nikki fic so I don't have to worry about names. I am getting ready to tread the Supernatural waters though and my first story has a somewhat OC *at least name-wise* and it's an unusual name. However, it is a real name and I like it. I don't think you can safely argue the name thing after Lewis Black talked about names people have named their kids. S***head *pronounced Shi thade*, a**hole *pronounced Ash-ola*, and Abcde *pronounced ab se day*. And that's normal, everyday people...not celebrities.

ETA: YouTube - Lewis Black Headlines are punchlines And no, I'm not saying it's right.

I'm kind of glad I'm not writing to please all of you...Wow.

I don't know, I don't really have a lot of grievances except grammar and spelling simply because these two things, above all else, are easily combated in Word or Works. All in all, if the story-line is good I can overlook most things except atrocious sp/grammar.

Last edited by MeiTow; 08-15-2008 at 05:23 AM
Old 08-15-2008, 05:35 AM
Loyal Fan

The worst thing I can think of is no plot...
I can't tell you how many stories I've read that have no plot line what-so-ever. It annoys the hell out of me.

Scrubs: October 2, 2001 - May 6, 2009
End of an Era
Old 08-15-2008, 05:57 AM
Elite Fan

I think Do and I are very spoiled in the names department. In Germany there is a list of names you can't call your child. Sometimes you have to defend the name of your child in court. This is to protect the child from psychological damage.
And seriously, S***head?

enough already.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:28 AM
Loyal Fan

Well, as Lewis Black said in that comedy segment...the people that write out the birth certificates should be able to look at the parents and go..."No, I don't think so. I'm not writing that down."

The problem with a list of names is that sometimes people are very creative and come with awesome sounding names you would never had heard of but are still pretty and name-like. Like, one of the kids I babysit for is named Alexia. Not the most common name, but it's very beautiful. Can Germans name their children something that is...say African in nature? I would think having to justify your kid's name in court is just taking up court time that could be better spent dealing with harder legal issues than someone wanting to be creative with a kid's name. Besides, if you don't like your name you can always change it later. I'm not bugging on Germany because if I had my way, I'd live there. Love the language, culture, and people but a list of names just seems odd to me. Then again, people naming their pets "human" names annoys me too.

I did think of something else that bothers me though. I enjoy realistic fan fiction. Even if the fandom isn't realistic *such as HP*, I still want that touch of realism. If you can't figure out how to make something do something...don't do it. I don't like people writing and not knowing what they are talking about either; such as centering a story around a child and making that child act the way a normal child wouldn't. It's obvious that the author doesn't have children or they wouldn't have written it that way. Stuff like that turns me off.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:50 AM
Dedicated Fan

I hate it when people use the wrong words for things - like accept/except, sale/sell and so forth so on.