Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Elite Fan

TIH Appreciation (Priestley) - because Jensen, tampons and mohawk say it all

Welcome to the first appreciation thread for Ten Inch Hero

Movie Description
Our friends deal with their love lives and learn about themselves while working in a funky
sandwich shop in Santa Cruz, California.
With the poignant humor and heart of Diner, The Breakfast Club, and Mystic Pizza, here
comes Ten Inch Hero – much more than just a sandwich, it’s a story about finding love
where you least expect it.
Sex, love and laughs are part of the everyday life in this hip little sub shop in Santa Cruz.
For the group of friends who work there, it's an oasis on the complex journey through
relationships, a place where they have each other to lean on as they find their way.
Piper, an accomplished artist, comes to town in search of the child she gave up for adoption
years earlier, but is surprised at what she finds.
Tish is a knockout... and a nymphomaniac. But when will she learn that sex is more than a
weapon and find true love?
The irreverent and horny Priestly dispenses free-wheeling comic advice to everyone, but
how long can he hide his own feelings?
Shy Jen watches life pass by, afraid to reach out, except through her e-mail romance with
a mysterious stranger. Maybe after Piper and Tish teach her a few things, she'll be ready
to meet her online lover in person.
Trucker, a surfer child of the 60s, knows about life. He owns the sub shop, after all. So why
does he need his young staff to help him discover the love of his life?
The sign out front says it all: “Help Wanted – normal people need not apply.”

Blog Entries
Why did you hire Ackles? Did you know him before from his previous work or through friends, or did he just walk in and blow you away?
Director David Mackay says:
I met Jensen two years ago, when we just started to get the project off the ground. His agent had read the script and gave it to him, and he loved it. Jensen had only been on Smallville at that point; SUPERNATURAL had not yet come to be.
Jensen has a great energy. He was VERY enthusiastic, and from that day on, he fought for the part of Priestly. And we really like to cast enthusiastic actors!
A year later he came in and read with various possible actresses for Tish. (None of which were Danneel. At that point she hadn't been cast.) Anyway, Jensen blew us away. I had a follow up lunch with him, and we really saw eye to eye. I could tell he was open to trying everything I wanted him to. To really create something COMPLETELY different from what he is known for. And that for me is what acting is all about. He was into it.
And he kicks ass in the movie.

Did the movie change much from the script? And how much do the actors bring to it?
[...]
There's a tender scene toward the end where Priestly (Jensen Ackles) breaks the mood with a joke. It's one of those "laugh through the tears" moments.
By the time we were ready to film, David felt the joke sounded a little stale. So he, Mark, and I batted it around until we found a line we all liked better.
When they were filming that scene, I was listening on earphones with several people. The mood was all heartfelt and sweet...then Jensen delivered the line. And his delivery was so funny, it made the joke much better than it was on the page.
This was a line we had read over and over...and nevertheless we all busted up when we heard it through the earphones.
So writer came up with the line, the director made it better, and the actor improved it even more. And that's what makes a movie.
[...]

Last edited by sweet_zelda; 04-13-2007 at 05:10 AM
Old 01-11-2007, 02:05 AM
Elite Fan

I am. *gotta add this thread to the Guidelines post*

{Max&Alec}
Old 01-11-2007, 06:37 AM
Elite Fan

So am I and I just saw that I misspelled it, can you change it into actual "Hero" and not "Here"?

no more running; no more hiding; no more excuses
enough already.
Lynn - golden roses - snagging @ lj
Old 01-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Elite Fan

'Course hun.

{Max&Alec}
Old 01-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Master Fan

Im looking forward to the movie... but does anyone else think the title of the film, could be misinterpreted as an "adult" film?!?!?!

... just me?!?! heeeeeeeeeee

G x
Old 01-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks so much

Yeah well, I think it does kind of sound like a teen movie to me, actually

enough already.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Passionate Fan

I'm so excited about this one! Especially for the possible scenes betwee Danneel and jensen...

I also think the title could be misinterpreted...its actually one of the first thing that cross my mind when I first read the title, but the premise of the movie sounds very Teen like...

ETA:

So I was thinking we should pimp the first post...so I went on the TIH.com, to take some things..like the sypnosis a picture of Jensen, well its more like his shadow, but he's the only Mohawk character so it's him...and then few questions in link with Jensen that have been answered on TIH blog...

Sypnosis:
Quote:
our friends deal with their love lives and learn about themselves while working in a funky
sandwich shop in Santa Cruz, California.

With the poignant humor and heart of Diner, The Breakfast Club, and Mystic Pizza, here
comes Ten Inch Hero – much more than just a sandwich, it’s a story about finding love
where you least expect it.

Sex, love and laughs are part of the everyday life in this hip little sub shop in Santa Cruz.
For the group of friends who work there, it's an oasis on the complex journey through
relationships, a place where they have each other to lean on as they find their way.

Piper, an accomplished artist, comes to town in search of the child she gave up for adoption
years earlier, but is surprised at what she finds.

Tish is a knockout... and a nymphomaniac. But when will she learn that sex is more than a
weapon and find true love?

The irreverent and horny Priestly dispenses free-wheeling comic advice to everyone, but
how long can he hide his own feelings?

Shy Jen watches life pass by, afraid to reach out, except through her e-mail romance with
a mysterious stranger. Maybe after Piper and Tish teach her a few things, she'll be ready
to meet her online lover in person.

Trucker, a surfer child of the 60s, knows about life. He owns the sub shop, after all. So why
does he need his young staff to help him discover the love of his life?

The sign out front says it all: “Help Wanted – normal people need not apply.”
Blogs Entries:
Quote:
Tuesday, November 07, 2006
Tuesday's Mail

Why did you hire Ackles? Did you know him before from his previous work or through friends, or did he just walk in and blow you away?

Director David Mackay says:

I met Jensen two years ago, when we just started to get the project off the ground. His agent had read the script and gave it to him, and he loved it. Jensen had only been on Smallville at that point; SUPERNATURAL had not yet come to be.

Jensen has a great energy. He was VERY enthusiastic, and from that day on, he fought for the part of Priestly. And we really like to cast enthusiastic actors!

A year later he came in and read with various possible actresses for Tish. (None of which were Danneel. At that point she hadn't been cast.) Anyway, Jensen blew us away. I had a follow up lunch with him, and we really saw eye to eye. I could tell he was open to trying everything I wanted him to. To really create something COMPLETELY different from what he is known for. And that for me is what acting is all about. He was into it.

And he kicks ass in the movie.
posted by The Ten Inch Hero Crew @ 9:13 PM
Quote:
Friday, November 24, 2006
Questions about the Script

Did the movie change much from the script? And how much do the actors bring to it?
Okay, it’s important to realize that a script is just a blueprint. From the day you type "FADE IN" until the day the film opens, the project is constantly evolving[...] Here's an example of the process:

There's a tender scene toward the end where Priestly (Jensen Ackles) breaks the mood with a joke. It's one of those "laugh through the tears" moments.

By the time we were ready to film, David felt the joke sounded a little stale. So he, Mark, and I batted it around until we found a line we all liked better.

When they were filming that scene, I was listening on earphones with several people. The mood was all heartfelt and sweet...then Jensen delivered the line. And his delivery was so funny, it made the joke much better than it was on the page.

This was a line we had read over and over...and nevertheless we all busted up when we heard it through the earphones.

So writer came up with the line, the director made it better, and the actor improved it even more. And that's what makes a movie.[...]
Quote:
Saturday, December 09, 2006
A Day on the Set of Ten Inch Hero

This week, we have a special guest blogger: Cynthia Boris!

Cynthia worked on the Ten Inch set, and she agreed to talk to us about what a typical day on the set was like. Part 1 of her story follows:
[...]he crew arrives at "basecamp" at 8 am. I hand out walkie-talkies while the catering truck begins firing up breakfast. The wardrobe girls place the day's costumes in the actors' trailers and the 2nd AD (Assistant Director) drops off "sides" (little mini-scripts of what we're going to film that day). When the actors arrive, it's off to hair and make-up. We had three lovely ladies on the shoot but the joke was that, because of the tattoos and the mohawk, Jensen Ackles spent more time in hair and make-up than the three ladies put together!
[...]Next the actors arrive on set and are sent to "holding" -- in our case, a tented area a block up from the sub shop. This is where they hang out when they aren't in front of the cameras. Some actors spent quite a few hours in holding, passing the time by reading, doing crossword puzzles, and chatting.Jensen spent some of his time studying the season opener script for Supernatural and it took every ounce of strength I had not to peek! (But I didn't).
[...]Since the actors spend so much time waiting between scenes, several of them brought their best friends along for company. The four-legged kind! Elisabeth Harnois, Danneel and Sean Patrick all arrived with their pets in tow and Jensen turned puppy photographer. (He always has his camera with him so he can shoot pictures of his co-workers between takes!).

ur special guest blogger Cynthia Boris tells us more about a typical day on the set of Ten Inch Hero.

When we ended Part 1, the crew was getting hungry after a long morning. We pick up there:

Finally, it's time to break for lunch. Most of the crew goes back to basecamp to eat a hot meal whipped up by the catering truck, while others treat themselves to lunch at the local restaurants. If you'd been eating in town that week, you might have lunch at the next table over from Jensen, Danneel, Elisabeth and Clea!

An hour later, everyone is back at work. The actors are on set and make-up and wardrobe get "last looks," a chance to do quick touch-ups before the cameras roll again.

You know the old song, "second verse, same as the first?" Rehearse, shoot, shoot, turn the cameras and shoot again. It would be easy to fall into a slump, particularly after lunch, but the actors are pros and they keep their energy up just like it was the first take of the morning!

As long and hard (and hot) as the days were, the cast and crew of Ten Inch Hero still found the time to laugh and keep things fun. One day, the hair and makeup department really did a number on the actors!
[...]And who's that other pretty girl with the long brown hair, tiara and glamorous make-up? Yikes! It's Jensen. . . well, the left half of him anyway! Turn him to the right and he's still punked-out Priestly. Yep, half man/half woman -- and all hysterically funny. [...]
Quote:
Did the character of Priestly have a mohawk in the script, or did that get added later? And why?

Nope, Priestly always had a 'hawk, right from the first draft of the script.

My brother (::waves hi to Alan: once told me about a kid with one of those classic high-spike mohawks that was so tall, he couldn't fit upright in his own car. So the boy drove with his head down on his right shoulder--that was the only way he could fit in the car without damaging his 'do.

That just really appealed to me--the idea of a kid so devoted to his own style, that he was willing to drive around looking at the world sideways. That's my kind of guy!

And it just seemed like the kind of thing Priestly would do. So, not only did Priestly get a mohawk, he got one that changes color throughout the story.

Originally, the whole head angle thing was in the script: one scene opens with Priestly driving up, music blaring, head titled, while Trucker's (John Doe) outside working on the cause-mobile.

But Jensen’s 'hawk is shorter and a whole different style--so it didn't make it into the final cut.

Fun question--thanks for asking!
Quote:
Why did you hire Danneel Harris? Did you already know her?

Director David Mackay answers:

Danneel (Tish) came in and read three times, and she was consistently in the top 5.

It was always going to be a decision about the overall mix of the three lead women--one of whom, at that point, was going to be Clea DuVall (Jen). We were leaning toward casting Jensen Ackles (Priestly) early on, so we wanted to find a good match for him, too. That was a big part of the equation. We didn't know that he and Danneel were actually friends at all!

And I didn't know Danneel from before. She and I are represented at the same talent agency, so her agent had a little extra pull with me, however.

One day we had Jensen come in and read with three other possible Tish candidates--this is called a "mix and match" casting session. In fact it was as much an audition for Jensen, as it was a callback for the three actresses. Up to that point, we had only met with Jensen, he did not perform for us. Jensen did great--he blew us away in fact! But we kept searching for the right Tish.

Our only concern with Danneel was that she was on a CW show (One Tree Hill), and so was Jensen (Supernatural). We wanted to spread out our cast over TV and features. We didn't want a cast comprised entirely of leads on CW shows (or so we thought!).

As it turned out, we did eventually all agree that Danneel was the best for the role of Tish, after reading over 100 actresses!

And, then, AFTER we finished shooting, other members of the TEN INCH HERO cast suddenly began appearing on One Tree Hill! Elisabeth Harnois (Piper) was cast as well as Matt Barr (Brad). Moreover, Bethany Joy Galeotti has written and recorded several songs for our soundtrack!

So hopefully the fans of ONE TREE HILL will really be excited to see TEN INCH HERO!
For all blogs entries...I took what i tought was more Jensen related...that's why there are a lots of this [...]

Icon credit: -louise-

Last edited by lolitaro; 01-11-2007 at 02:41 PM
Old 01-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Elite Fan

Wow, I'm gonna add all this ^^ Or at least some things, though

enough already.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Lynn Thanks for the new thread. I wanna see him in mohawk!

Oh, yes, I love the part where McKay said, Jensen loves to try on different things, that for him is good acting. I totally agree. If you can take on any role and do it great, you're definitely a great actor.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Elite Fan

Gay, you're totally welcome ^^

Yeah, and he's right about it, that's what acting is about, right?

enough already.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:44 PM
Elite Fan

It truly is

{Max&Alec}
Old 01-12-2007, 12:46 AM
Loyal Fan

i'm definitely looking forward to seeing this movie. it really sounds like it is going to be awesome.

and yes the title does in fact sound like an adult film title.

R.I.P Brad Renfro [1982-2008]
Old 01-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Dedicated Fan

i want to start seeing pictures of Jensen from this movie already damnit!

Kristen Bell is so amazing
Jensen Ackles My Love
DVit 4ever and damn proud of it
Old 01-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Danush~dv (View Post)
i want to start seeing pictures of Jensen from this movie already damnit!
I agree, I think it's kind of weird how there are tons of pictures out there of every other person involved but him...

enough already.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_lynn (View Post)
I agree, I think it's kind of weird how there are tons of pictures out there of every other person involved but him...
They're keeping it under wraps so they can surprise us, I guess?!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread