Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006, 09:01 PM
Master Fan

Ron/Percy Appreciation Thread #1 ~ they're not so different after all!

Banner made by the amazing Anna-Liisa

Welcome to the Ron & Percy Appreciation Thread #1
The Torn Brotherhood

This thread is dedicated to the estranged relationship between the brothers.
They're not as different as Ron would like to think...

BANNER ART

The original banner that Anna-Liisa created for this thread! Thank you!

Thread Title Vault

"They have a long and rocky road to go"

Last edited by darcybennett; 09-12-2007 at 06:23 PM
darcybennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:59 AM
Master Fan

It's here again. Well, I'm glad there wasn't any banners or things we should remember. We can do it all over again without any "wait, was this here" wondering.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:54 PM
Master Fan

I just want to repost some lyrics I think are quite Percy/Ron-ish.

Blessed Union of Souls - Brother, my Brother

Brother, my brother
Tell me, what are we fighting for?
We've got to end this war
We should love one another
Oh, can't we just pretend this war never began?
We can try, brother, my brother.

We face each other
From different sides
The anger burns
Can't remember why
It's kind of crazy
To cause such pain
Our foolish pride
Makes us hate this way
We watch our world fall apart
Tell me, what good is winning
When you lose you heart?

Brother, my brother
Isn't life worth so much more?
We should love one
Another
Oh, can't we just pretend
This war never began?
Tell me why,
Brother, my brother.
Yes,
We can try,
Brother, my brother.
Yes

Let's take a moment
And look deep inside
And say we're willing
To give love a try
We're not as different
As we seem to be
There's so much more to me than what you see
You don't have to be this way
Think about the consequences
Turn around and walk away

Brother, my brother
We should love one
Another
Oh, can't we just pretend
This war never began?
Tell me why,
Brother, my brother
Tell me why,
Brother my brother
What are we fighting for?
Brother, my brother
We should love one
Another,
Tell me why
Brother, my brother.

Maybe this topic could be called "Torn brotherhood" or something?
Maybe we could collect some title suggestions to the 1st post.

Here's one
"They have a long and rocky road to go"

Last edited by Anna-Liisa; 04-21-2006 at 04:31 AM
Anna-Liisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for re-posting those lyrics, Anna-Liisa! It really fits their relationship.

I like that title. I'll add it to the first post in a "Title Vault".

Whenever a banner is made for this thread, I think part of the lyrics of this song should be used as text.

We should also do a summary of their relationship to add to the first post... would you like to try your hand at it?
Old 04-22-2006, 05:32 AM
Master Fan

I'll see what I can do
Old 04-28-2006, 08:57 AM
Master Fan

You'll like this, Anna.

Chris Rankin offers insight into his role of Percy in a recent interview with icSurreyOnline.co.uk, concering the direction his character will take in HP5...

Quote:
"Over the course of the films, he's gone from being a stuck-up, poncey prefect to quite a nasty piece of work.... My character didn't appear in the last film but, when he makes his return in the next one, he starts to become really obnoxious.... By that stage, of course, he's working for the Ministry of Magic and he's become so power-hungry that he'll step on anyone to get where he wants."
You can read the full article, HERE.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:06 AM
Master Fan

I've seen this I think they're making Percy look like he's a total evil-badass :/
Old 05-13-2006, 01:22 PM
Master Fan

I have a question about the summary. What excatly do you want in it?
Old 05-14-2006, 06:48 PM
Master Fan

Maybe do a summary or profile of his relationship with Ron, including his life at home and at Hogwarts and how his job at the Ministry is affecting their relationship...

Whatever you feel is best... I'm sure it'll be great.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:45 AM
Master Fan

I think I'll try to get a discussion going on

Why do you think Ron gets easily annoyed by Percy?
(Example about the Head Boy thing -> He wasn't so excited about that)
Old 06-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Master Fan

Very good question, Anna. Thanks for asking it. I'm sorry, sadly we seem to neglect this thread. I'll try not to let this happen again.

Hmm... as for how to answer your question... it's very hard because we don't really know all that much about Percy, especially when he was growing up but I can only assume that he probably looked out for Ron more than any of his other brothers and that they were closer because of that. And I can only suppose that Percy changed once he started school and that's when his drive and ambition started manifesting itself and Ron probably saw or sensed a change in him which most likely baffled him, especially since he's someone who's mostly disinterested and unaffected by schooling and studies, therefore someone who takes great pride in those things is confusing to him and hence, annoys him. Ron is an impulsive creature and someone who thinks with his heart, I don't see him being overly tolerant of someone who's very pretentious, ambitious and so law-abiding, Hermione notwithstanding of course. And for all Ron's humiliation at his family's poverty he's still proud and protective of his family, so he has a hard time understanding Percy's apparent ease at turning his back on his family... in Ron's eyes you remain loyal, constant and protective of your family at all costs, regardless of your own personal ambitions, wants and desires.

However, Ron's not the only one who gets annoyed with Percy. The twins are just as bad... maybe it's their influence on him, I don't know.

Last edited by darcybennett; 06-05-2006 at 11:45 AM
Old 08-01-2006, 04:35 AM
Master Fan

Wow, I found this when I was making my Percy site (I'm trying to get it open for his birthday). I don't know how stupid it sounds, but I'll post it anyway =)

In the first book, Ron got Percy's old pet rat (Scabbers) the same year, since Percy got an owl (Hermes). Scabbers wasn't really active thought, since he mostly slept or ate. Percy was proud that Ron got into Gryffindor. He also tried to help Ron to play chess against Harry in Christmas (who suspected that he might've not lost so badly if Percy hadn't done that) And in the end Percy was proud of his brother for clearing McGonagall's giant Chess board.

In the second book their relationship didn't improve much after Percy found Ron, Harry and Hermione from Moaning Myrtle's bathroom;

"You don't care about Ginny," said Ron, whose ears were now reddening. "You're just worried I'm going to mess up your chances of being Head Boy -"
"Five points from Gryffindor!" Percy said tersely, fingering his prefect badge. "And I hope it teaches you a lesson! No more detective work, or I'll write to Mum!"
And he strode off, the back of his neck as red as Ron's ears.

It was clear that after the incident Ron wanted to stay farway from him (in the common room, he, Harry and Hermione were sitting as far away as they could from him). Even before that Percy wasn't pleased with Ron's behaviour, because Ron and Harry had arrived to school with a flying car (which belonged to Mr Weasley);

Ron was scarlet in the face, grinning embarrassedly, but Harry could see one person who didn't look happy at all. Percy was visible over the heads of some excited first years, and he seemed to be trying to get near enough to start telling them off. Harry nudged Ron in the ribs and nodded in Percy's direction. Ron got the point at once.

"Got to get upstairs - bit tired," he said, and the two of them started pushing their way toward the door on the other side of the room, which led to a spiral staircase and the dormitories.

In the third book Ron was starting to show negative feelings towards his older brother. First sign was Hermione's letter to Harry; 'P.S. Ron says Percy's Head Boy. I'll bet Percy's really pleased. Ron doesn't seem too happy about it.' Maybe Ron was still a little angry about what happened in the second book, but then again, something might have happened in Egypt, when the whole family was there. The negative feelings continued through the book; When they were staying at the Leaky Cauldron, Percy and Ron were sharing a room next to Harry. However, their life wasn't peaceful. The twins stole Percy's Head Boy badge and Ron needed to help Percy to find it (even if it wasn't him who lost it). The next morning Ron had spilled tea on a picture of Percy's girlfriend which let to another small fight. Ron told Harry he wanted to get to the train so he could get away from Percy (but they ended up traveling to the train station in the same car with him).

When Ron was attacked by Sirius Black, Percy had a hard time believing what had happened. He said Ron had a nightmare, but Ron kept saying it really happened. It was confirmed that it really had been Sirius Black in Gryffindor tower. There wasn't any Ron and Percy scenes through the rest of the year.

In the fourth book Ron complained about Percy being a Work-a-holic. He warned Harry not to talk about work in front of Percy and said that Percy was talking about his boss - Barty Crouch sr. - all the time. Ron seemed to be annoyed by his older brother. After school started Ron and Percy didn't meet until the Yule ball, where Percy attended in the place of Crouch. Before that Ron had time to tell Harry that Percy wasn't a person to laugh at jokes (in Ron's opinion Percy wouldn't recognize a joke if it danced naked in front of him wearing Dobby's tea cozy). During Yule Ball Percy praised Ron for making friends with Viktor Krum (which he hadn't done). After it Ron and Harry left the Great Hall so that they could get away from Percy. When the trio met Ludo Bagman at the Three broomsticks Ron suggested that Percy might be poisoning Crouch - and got a glare from Hermione.

The next time Percy and Ron met was after the second task where Percy was a judge (since Crouch couldn't come). Percy was really worried about Ron (he was used in the task as a hostage) and started dragginf Ron towards madam Pomfrey (while Ron was yelling "Gerrof Percy, I'm all right!"). When Ron, Harry and Hermione met Sirius in a cave, Sirius suggested that Ron should send mail to Percy to ask how Crouch is doing - Ron said he needed to ask carefully about it, so he wouldn't sound suspicious. Ron also thought that Percy could give the whole family to the Dementors if he'd think they were standing on the way of his career. Percy replied to Ron's letter, but they didn't get much information from it. The caught Fred and George talking about blackmailing someone so Hermione suggested that Ron should tell Percy, but he disagreed and said that Percy would only turn them in.

In the fifth book Percy left his family. Ron was really angry about it when he told Harry about it. He told Harry not to talk about Percy in front of their parents, because it would lead to something unpleasent. He didn't sound happy - but he wasn't the only one. It was clear that Ron's opinions about Percy had gone down, but Percy was still in touch with him. While they were at Hogwarts Percy send a letter to Ron, gongratulating him on becoming a prefect. However, at the same time he warned Ron about Harry (he believed Daily Prophet) and suggested that Ron should be loyal to school and not Dumbledore. Ron tore the letter into pieces and threw it into the fire.

In the sixth book Ron told Harry that Percy still wasn't talking to his family. When Percy came home for Christmas, Ron's reactions weren't shown, but when he was said that Molly shouldn't worry about Percy, he added "He's such a prat, it's not really a loss, is it?". Percy's next appearance was Dumbledore's funeral. Ron didn't act like he had seen him (yet he was stabbing pieces of kipper with unwonted vemon). When the funeral was over and Harry, Ron and Hermione were talking, Ron asked if he could go back and hit Percy - because it would make him feel better. In the end he didn't go and hit Percy, because Hermione stopped him.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:03 AM
Master Fan

Very good find, Anna! It's short but to the point. I really have to do something about getting a summary of their relationship for the first post done... this is a good reference.

Thanks for posting it!

Please make sure to post the link to your Percy site when it's all done.

This sentence struck me... "Ron also thought that Percy could give the whole family to the Dementors if he'd think they were standing on the way of his career."

Do you think Percy would actually go so far as to turn the members of his family over to Dementors or Magical Law Enforcement if they did something that he deemed wrong or went against the Ministry of Magic?
Old 08-01-2006, 08:34 AM
Master Fan

Thanks

Do you think Percy would actually go so far as to turn the members of his family over to Dementors or Magical Law Enforcement if they did something that he deemed wrong or went against the Ministry of Magic?

I don't really think he'd do that. I mean, he may seem like he could do it, but I just don't think he'd do that to his own family. When Ron thinks Percy doesn't care about his family, he's wrong. I don't think Percy's like Crouch, who threw his own son into Azkaban. At least I can't see him cold hearted like that. We've seen how he cares about Ginny and Ron in the books. Someone who's scared for his siblings can't just do that. He sent the letter to Ron because he wanted him to do thing right (from his point of view), he took care of Ginny in the second book when she wasn't feeling alright. Why would he suddenly throw his family to dementors? Why does Ron even consider that?

Okay, It's a bit awful answer, but my answer is: No.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Master Fan

I made this for fun...