gorgeous artwork.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

Old 09-27-2016, 05:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

Five star review from Empire Magazine
Swiss Army Man Review | Movie - Empire

Quote:
Since he last battled You-Know-Who, Radcliffe has been consistently surprising. As Manny he’s astonishing.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

Five star review from Empire Magazine
Swiss Army Man Review | Movie - Empire

Quote:
Since he last battled You-Know-Who, Radcliffe has been consistently surprising. As Manny he’s astonishing.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:24 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I can totally see someone mistakenly thinking that guy is carrying an actual dead body.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:24 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I can totally see someone mistakenly thinking that guy is carrying an actual dead body.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

I can totally see that too.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:28 AM
Fan Forum Star

So I've seen the movie finally. It was so fun. I didn't care for the last few minutes where Hank was revealed as a stalker tho. I didn't think it was necessary for him to meet the married woman he was infatuated with or for her to find out he had been behind her house the whole time. And am I correct in assuming that he never had been on a stranded island. All of it, the whole journey had been in his head. He clearly was in his own delusion? No island, no beach, no cave. He was always in one place just a few yards away from the woman house.

Dan was brilliant. This might be one of his best roles he's even done. He and Paul had beautiful chemistry. The dialogue between their characters was lovely.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:17 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
And am I correct in assuming that he never had been on a stranded island. All of it, the whole journey had been in his head. He clearly was in his own delusion? No island, no beach, no cave. He was always in one place just a few yards away from the woman house.
oh no! I don't like that at all. I thought it was creative that there was a man close to suicide who learns to live and wants to live because of a corpse. That twist takes out all the creativity.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well he's still suicidal but inside his head he works it out. Finds it within himself to integrate back into the world. He brings the corpse to life because he's desperate for contact and doesn't really want to die. So he convinces himself (and Manny) all the reasons why life is worth living despite all the ways we try to hide our true selves from it. That was my take.

See, that's actually Hank talking to himself.

Anyway I really enjoyed that part of it. I just didn't care for the reality of Hank's situation to be so negative when Hank came back. I would have just ended it it with him talking to Sarah for the first time before the credits roll.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:18 AM
Fan Forum Legend

It's like a totally different movie to me now, knowing what's really going on.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

Hank even says it out loud at the beginning to Manny that it's all a delusion because of starvation.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:23 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Did that line give away the twist for you or did it go over your head at first?
Old 10-01-2016, 03:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah it gave it away for me, but I didn't mind. I thought it was intriguing to see how he projected his life's troubles onto Manny as if he helping Manny remember his past but really it was Hank's own life that he was trying to leave behind. He was slowly coming back to it as each conversation and life lesson that he taught Manny.

Manny started out not being able to speak very clearly and not being able to move without Hank's help. By the end of the film Manny was completely mobile and talking fine. That happened because Hank was becoming more and more ok with accepting his own faults and willing to bring himself back to the real world. Manny was the manifestation of Hank's self recovery. It was beautiful.

And all the farts and stuff was just stuff we try hide from each other because we are ashamed. But life isn't perfect. A lot of life is gross and ridiculously embarrassing. Pretending they don't exist is a waste of time. The sooner we accept that fact the better we'll all be with ourselves.

Last edited by baileycat; 10-01-2016 at 03:29 AM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread